• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synless

DevelopmentArrested said:
Seriously?? Because of fucking achievements? Ugh..
I agree with him. When a no name developer can come out with a game supporting Game Center day one than there is no reason that EA can't fucking do it. I vote with my wallet, and my vote says EA can kiss my ass until they get up to speed.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I had a feeling the achievements would be their own in game thing.
I don't care that much about it.

It says there's an unlock for DS2. Probably a skin or something.

Jonnyram

RelentlessRolento said:
Found a new game that is pretty nice

Paladog

Full
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paladog/id415458476?mt=8
Why can't people just put screenshots on their product page, instead of decorating the screenshots with loads of game art? Ugh.

Also, I thought someone said Dead Space videos showed achievements being unlocked? Are they in-game achievements which are not Game Center-compatible or something? Still, silly not to buy a game just because it doesn't have achievements. You might not be inclined to play it as much as a game with achievements, but posting about it looks bad :p

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Personally I don't give a fuck about GC achievements, but I won't buy a score attack game unless it has GC support (leaderboards). I have thrice the fun and playtime when games support GC leaderboards. Another thing that push me over the edge is when a game is Universal, it has way more chances of getting my dough.

Sofo

Ultimoo said:
anyone try Surveillant yet, it's free for the first 24 hours. Just wanted to get it on this page so you guys don't forget. :p

Got it yesterday since I read about the first-24hrs-free thing. A bit disappointed but only had time to post the first 2 levels. Not too happy with the controls (you auto-run wherever you tap on the screen) and it would help if the light emitted from the laser on the CCTV camera would produce shadows (it's hard for me to tell where is it aiming).

Maybe I had a different idea of what this game would be, but will definitely give it another chance.

Burger

Synless said:
I agree with him. When a no name developer can come out with a game supporting Game Center day one than there is no reason that EA can't fucking do it. I vote with my wallet, and my vote says EA can kiss my ass until they get up to speed.

Yet there are many comments saying how great it is? Bizzare. Unless... unless EA focused their time and effort into making a good game, and plan to add GC later on (and get it into users hands first).

Then again, maybe they won't add it, and you will never get to enjoy it.

Sofo said:
Got it yesterday since I read about the first-24hrs-free thing. A bit disappointed but only had time to post the first 2 levels. Not too happy with the controls (you auto-run wherever you tap on the screen) and it would help if the light emitted from the laser on the CCTV camera would produce shadows (it's hard for me to tell where is it aiming).

Maybe I had a different idea of what this game would be, but will definitely give it another chance.
This is partly in line with my feelings. It's been a while since I played Sentinel (or Returns), but looking at videos of Returns the ability to look up and down is severely missed in Surv, as it allows for more accurate movement, particularly since accuracy is already degraded by the device itself. I don't recall how the Sentinel "saw" in the original so I don't know if shadows were part of it.

Mostly it's the controls that stink.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Jonnyram said:
3,173,661 on Minotaur Rescue right now. Gazunta am cry :)

Nice! I've hit a temporary ceiling for now, think i'm playing too dangerously and suffering for it. Need to chill out, step back and destroy some scores...!

Quasar

Fusebox said:
This. Also every protector I've seen makes the screen look like sub-par.

Well I've been pretty happy with my protectors for my ipad and ipod. Makes them somewhat usable in daylight.It also solves the fingerprint nightmare.

Jonnyram

Jedeye Sniv said:
Nice! I've hit a temporary ceiling for now, think i'm playing too dangerously and suffering for it. Need to chill out, step back and destroy some scores...!
How far have you got? The levels really drop in length around the level 15 mark, but jump up again shortly after 20. I hear there's 30 levels or something?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Jonnyram said:
How far have you got? The levels really drop in length around the level 15 mark, but jump up again shortly after 20. I hear there's 30 levels or something?

I've gotten to the mid 20's but aftert a while you get really fast enemy ships that drop loads of mines when they die. I do really well for a while and then get destroyed and lose all my lives in one level. Just checked, my highscore is a little bigger than I orginally thought, I've once reached the loft heights of 5,467,458. Once and never again though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Quasar said:
Well I've been pretty happy with my protectors for my ipad and ipod. Makes them somewhat usable in daylight.It also solves the fingerprint nightmare.

What kind of screen protector is good for the iPad?
I was thinking of gettin one for the back as well since it seems more prone to scratches

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sofo said:

the autorun is the point. You basically teleport to a square that you can see the top of. You have to work your way slowly up to a point where you can see the base of the sentinel - sorry, CCTV camera :) and then jump to it.

I dont' like the lack of look up/down, and I don't like the tilt to move left/right. Just a simple drag to move your viewpoint would be much more straightforward.

I'd also like a proper conversion of the sentinel

Jonnyram

Jedeye Sniv said:
I've gotten to the mid 20's but aftert a while you get really fast enemy ships that drop loads of mines when they die. I do really well for a while and then get destroyed and lose all my lives in one level. Just checked, my highscore is a little bigger than I orginally thought, I've once reached the loft heights of 5,467,458. Once and never again though.
:bow

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thought I was on the GAF GC and OF list but apparently not, here's my deets -

Jedeye Sniv = Jedeye Sniv [GC&OF]

Feel free to add me, I'm starting to get very competitive with these games XD

Sofo

Of course, the inability to look up and down is a bit disappointing. Hopefully it gets added in further updates? As long as it doesn't impair the controls, which I understand due to the nature of the device, it would probably make me enjoy it more.

Maybe I can give it a couple more rounds this afternoon.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
truth-lasers said:
Well, I'm number one on Solar Survival (1,148,214). Currently number 36 on the regular Solar (3,940,403).

Come get me.

Wow, how the hell did you get that amazing score? I get to around 200,000 and then the sun blows up - do you concentrate on the asteroids rather than going for the minotaurs?

Jedeye Sniv said:
Wow, how the hell did you get that amazing score? I get to around 200,000 and then the sun blows up - do you concentrate on the asteroids rather than going for the minotaurs?

Minotaurs every time! The more minotaurs, the more points you get for blowing up asteroids (I mean, in the beginning it's just 10 points for the smallest bit of an asteroid, when you get enought minotaurs, it's +2000 points). And although you can get more points for the minotaurs by catching them closer to the sun, I usually grab them as quickly as possible so that I don't miss one.

Couple of questions for those who have picked up Dead Space.

Any idea what the unlock is for Dead Space 2? And when/where exactly does the story take place? Obviously don't want spoilers but just interested in how it fits in with the "proper" games.

Hearing all the great impressions kinda makes me want to pick it up now and not wait for a price drop.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think it's either a prequel to or happens concurrently with the new game. I've played the first two levels so far and it's pretty good. The controls are a little weird (the movement dpad is very long but not very wide, you can't strafe properly) but the graphics are fairly impressive and the sound is great.

What I do like about it (not really a spoiler since you find out in the first min of the game) is that you play a member of the creepy church and I think your superiors actually want to release the necromorphs. I'll say this much, I was thinking about waiting on DS2 and now I'm going to go out on friday and pick it up day 1.

Will Dead Space in iOS spoil any part of Dead Space 1 or 2? I'm about to go on a weeks vacation and want to pick it up, but I haven't played through Dead Space 1 yet. Well, I played half of Dead Space 1 and intend to restart it and then play DS2 when I get back.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is there any place I can buy a cheap stylus pen for and iPod Touch that actually has a tip and not a sizeable round thing at the end? I really want some sort of precise input method.

Jonnyram said:
Why can't people just put screenshots on their product page, instead of decorating the screenshots with loads of game art? Ugh.

Because it's the only chance you have to communicate to your potential audience what the game's about. No one reads descriptions.

Dilbert

Someone else already mentioned this, but I wanted to join in: Sword of Fargoal is on sale for $0.99 right now. It's already the best rogue-like on the App Store (in my opinion) and they are planning a 2.0 release that will add a lot of stuff. If you buy it now, you'll get the future major upgrade for free. I think I paid $5 for it, and felt it has been worth every penny.

Also, Dungeon Raid is all kinds of awesome. That's worth getting too.

Keio said:
Any impressions? Does it play like old PS2 titles or is it more arcadey?

It really depends on how you define arcadey, but I think it's probably the best playing soccer game on iOS. It won't blow your socks off like the 360/PS3 version (or even the PS2).

For what it is, I like it. Now that the graphics are retina, it's easier on the eyes. There are plenty of bicycle kicks, half volleys, dribbles, animations to make it a good playable game. The ability to save replays is a great addition. The passing game is nice. It's also universal.

I only have an iPod Touch 4 to play games on so it's no big deal to spend $7 on this. If you have other versions to play (PS2, PS3, PSP, 360, etc.) then you can pass on it. Unless you just want to have PES on your iPod/iPhone/iPad at all times. I think they modeled the game after Winning Eleven 6...or some of the older titles. They said they are aiming for PSP quality.

Dilbert said:
Someone else already mentioned this, but I wanted to join in: Sword of Fargoal is on sale for $0.99 right now. It's already the best rogue-like on the App Store (in my opinion) and they are planning a 2.0 release that will add a lot of stuff. If you buy it now, you'll get the future major upgrade for free. I think I paid $5 for it, and felt it has been worth every penny.

How does it control? Is it touch to move, tilt or onscreen dpad?

japtor

Gamecocks625 said:
It really depends on how you define arcadey, but I think it's probably the best playing soccer game on iOS. It won't blow your socks off like the 360/PS3 version (or even the PS2).

For what it is, I like it. Now that the graphics are retina, it's easier on the eyes. There are plenty of bicycle kicks, half volleys, dribbles, animations to make it a good playable game. The ability to save replays is a great addition. The passing game is nice. It's also universal.

I only have an iPod Touch 4 to play games on so it's no big deal to spend $7 on this. If you have other versions to play (PS2, PS3, PSP, 360, etc.) then you can pass on it. Unless you just want to have PES on your iPod/iPhone/iPad at all times. I think they modeled the game after Winning Eleven 6...or some of the older titles. They said they are aiming for PSP quality.
Does it have an option to manually switch players? That was something I never completely got used to in the version I got a while back.

Psy-Phi

PalaceBrother said:
How does it control? Is it touch to move, tilt or onscreen dpad?
It's a slide your finger anywhere on screen to move that direction. If you hold after the slide you'll continue to move, and if you slide longer, you'll move faster. Works very well.

Keio

For a Finer World
Gamecocks625 said:

Thanks for the impressions! Been looking for some football on the go so I'll leave this and FIFA 11 (iPad) both downloading through the night.

soldat7

chubigans said:
Question as a new Touch owner: yall use any protective touch screens? I'm using my PSPGO extra film screen right now for the Touch but I just got my stylus in and it's not responding all that well. Has anyone gone non-protective screen-less?

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with one. The bubbles will drive you insane anyways, moreso than any scratches. I've had my 4G Touch for several months and there is nary a scratch.

Poyunch

New touch owner so I'm not sure if this is the standard but I'm not really liking the controls of Dead Space. It's mostly to do with the camera. It centers to your finger instead of controlling an-ingame analog. It feels pretty clunky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom