• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dash Kappei said:
Just a quick off-topic post:

You all probably already know it, but maybe it'll be useful to somebody anyway:
other than emoji which can only be seen on iPhone/iPad/etc if you add the japanese keyboard you get all the usual 2chan-like emoticons on the ready, which is better than nothing I guess
(^ー^)(^-^)/(^O^)/\(^o^)/ ( T_T)\(^-^ )(^∇^)ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ
and so on...
Oh, that's a nice Easter egg.. (`_´)ゞ

(WTF are some of these...?)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Dash Kappei said:
Uh? I didn't mention PSN games at all, I was referring to game updates.
If Gran Turismo 5 gets another 200mb patch on top of the 600MB one there is now, you'll have to download the whole 800MB anew; for Xbox360 games you can stack updates so that if you already had the 600 patch you'd only download the 200MB left consisting in the new update.
And Apple's decision is just a relic of when 99% of the apps were less than 10MB and thus you could also download them on 3G.
Since it became an established media and gaming platform the whole story has changed, iOS4 and the folders structure added tell exactly that story: Apple wants you to use iOS in as many ways as possible, to get as many apps as possible and to keep them in your device by buying 64GB skus. Now many apps far exceed 50MB and it's really not convenient to wake up every day with 4 or 5 apps that need to be downloaded again when you just did that a couple of weeks before and are left out until you can hook up to your wifi network.
It's also definitely unpleasant that you might be unable to download an important update on-the-go when you may need it the most, thus defying the means of a mobile platform.
Ah i see what you're saying. I had misinterpreted. You're right then about the process.

Ultimoo said:
omg, this, rofl. Doesn't help that SoM doesn't have any sort of quest log or anything, all you need to remember is some comment made in the last town to remember what to do. I just make sure to go to the place where I need to be so I naturally progress myself.

I'm really just near the beginning. I'm in a forest somewhere. I already visited a castle or something. I might just start over. haha

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
mrklaw said:
Oh, that's a nice Easter egg.. (`_´)ゞ

(WTF are some of these...?)

Ahahah, for real man WTF

dallow_bg, no prob mate
@(・●・)@(^_^)☆

RelentlessRolento said:
wow... this looks pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8xoWNN6cb8

http://www.recluseindustries.com/Recluse_Industries/Home.html

IMG_1489.jpg
IMG_1512.jpg

plus it'll be free for the first 24 hours

ok, i'll be needing this.

numble

Dash Kappei said:
Uh? I didn't mention PSN games at all, I was referring to game updates.
If Gran Turismo 5 gets another 200mb patch on top of the 600MB one there is now, you'll have to download the whole 800MB anew; for Xbox360 games you can stack updates so that if you already had the 600 patch you'd only download the 200MB left consisting in the new update.
And Apple's decision is just a relic of when 99% of the apps were less than 10MB and thus you could also download them on 3G.
Since it became an established media and gaming platform the whole story has changed, iOS4 and the folders structure added tell exactly that story: Apple wants you to use iOS in as many ways as possible, to get as many apps as possible and to keep them in your device by buying 64GB skus. Now many apps far exceed 50MB and it's really not convenient to wake up every day with 4 or 5 apps that need to be downloaded again when you just did that a couple of weeks before and are left out until you can hook up to your wifi network.
It's also definitely unpleasant that you might be unable to download an important update on-the-go when you may need it the most, thus defying the means of a mobile platform.
Hopefully they update things to support this--it's in Apple's best interests too since it should save them bandwidth.

ChackanKun said:
Lumines is on iOS? How does it play?
I love the skins more than the pc version. As for the gameplay it's very enjoyable. Certainly it's not as fast paced as the psp version but it's good in its own right. The controls were later patched after the initial version that got a lot of control complaints.

I love it, to be honest. Once you get used to the touch controls you can really pick up the pace. Music is great too.

Vard

graywolf323 said:
goes up tomorrow on the 24th
Oh cool, thanks for the heads up.

Haven't played this yet but it looks like an awesome 2D platformer with some nice art and it's FREE today:

Skycat and the starchildren
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skycat-and-the-starchildren/id395469845?mt=8
screenshot10.png

edit- so it's a Canabalt/Robot Unicorn Attack style game we're you're constantly running forward - but it's not never-ending; the game has short levels and you try to get the best time. Worth checking out.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Jonnyram said:
It's amazing. A near-perfect port, I'd say. A couple of tiny sound glitches, but the single-screen works well. It has achievements too :)

Well great, I went from "Day 1!" to "Every day from now until day 1 is a cold painful river I wade through hoping I don't drown".

;_;

Gazunta

Wait wait wait Surveillant is basically THE SENTINEL but on iPhone WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA and it's FREE KJ:KLJ:LDJODIUYOIDHLKDDGSAGLKAJHLDK

Phoenixus

graywolf323 said:
Phoenix Wright just got an update though it only says a minor bug fix
Yeah, glad that means Capcom haven't just dumped it on the service without paying attention to feedback. Now give us the sequel dammit!

Captain N

dallow_bg said:
Oh, excellent! I read in a preview there's an iPad version, though it didn't state whether it was a separate app. Going by EA history though, it seems it will be.

the trailer EA released showed you unlocking an Achievement. Which leads me to believe it'll have Game Center Support. There will be a iPod/iPhone Version & a iPad version. I just hope it isn't something crazy like 12 or 15 bucks.

mrkgoo

I just checked - no it's not Universal. Just like every other game, EA has released an HD version of dead space for iPad separately.

NZ$9.99 for the iPhone, NZ$13.99 for the iPad.

the TMO

mrkgoo said:
I just checked - no it's not Universal. Just like every other game, EA has released an HD version of dead space for iPad separately.

NZ$9.99 for the iPhone, NZ$13.99 for the iPad.
Cheaper version FTW!

vivin said:
I'll wait for the EA sale and get it for $1.29 XD

Pretty much, I love Dead Space but I doubt the controls are much different than any other onscreen analog sticks and the like. So I certainly won't be paying alot for it, I can happily wait for the inevitable price drop.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gazunta said:
Wait wait wait Surveillant is basically THE SENTINEL but on iPhone WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA and it's FREE KJ:KLJ:LDJODIUYOIDHLKDDGSAGLKAJHLDK
It's definitely awesome.

Shame it doesn't support the retina display, though. Even the icon is low resolution. The visuals would look so much nicer in high resolution.

Double D

Even though I currently only have access to an iPad, I downloaded and played some Surveillant. I think I'll wait until I get a new phone before digging into this one. Kind of awkward to hold the iPad with one hand and do tilty stuff with it.

dark10x said:
It's definitely awesome.

Shame it doesn't support the retina display, though. Even the icon is low resolution. The visuals would look so much nicer in high resolution.

There is really no excuse for this nowadays. It literally takes 30 seconds to have a retina icon.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
crazygambit said:
There is really no excuse for this nowadays. It literally takes 30 seconds to have a retina icon.

Yup... it's as simple as creating a 114x114 pic and saving as "Icon@2x.png"

It's crazy that new games come out and just don't throw that in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom