• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

Me too. But Hot Pursuit will be on sale for $35 Black Friday so hopefully amazon matches and I'll get it on console then!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DoctorWho said:
Tempted to buy Hot Pursuit for iPhone instead of getting the console version. :lol
I could buying it in addition, but instead of? Seems crazy as the console game is significantly better.

heringer

dark10x said:
I could buying it in addition, but instead of? Seems crazy as the console game is significantly better.
It costs significantly more too. I wouldn't pay $60 for it, but the concept is interesting enough to tempt me to buy the cheap iPhone version.

Real Racing 2 cinematic trailer

RR2-WP1-iPhone.jpg

SmokyDave said:
Wow. I don't know how to interpret that. Obviously it was CG but am I to assume that the game features damage this time around?

Regardless, that looked phenomenal. Hype levels rapidly rising.
If RR2 uses a lot of modern idevice hardware to make it look better I really need to sell off my 2g touch and buy the more up to date version just for the visuals, this is one game which will sell me on upgrading :lol

otmane said:
Did anyone try Lego Harry Potter on iPhone?
I'm tempted to buy it and any feedback would be appreciated!

i got it. only played on ipad and the control takes a while to get used to (it's drag-and-point movement), but it's pretty slick and looks great.

it's good value, too, so go ahead! i don't even really like harry potter, so yeah.

Minsc

Gold Member
345triangle said:
i got it. only played on ipad and the control takes a while to get used to (it's drag-and-point movement), but it's pretty slick and looks great.

it's good value, too, so go ahead! i don't even really like harry potter, so yeah.

The review I just read said the same, it's ported surprisingly well from the PSP/DS, and has very nice graphics, cutscenes, etc so far to say that other iOS developers ought to take note. I've never played any of the LEGO games, so the formula might not bore me as much as someone who has, so I'm considering checking it out at somepoint!

otmane

345triangle said:

thanks for the feedback... I'm just worried about the gameplay on the iPhone but I think I'll jump ahead and buy it anyway.

Pastry

Banned
I started playing Kingdom Conquest today it's a pretty cool freemium MMO from Sega that combines dungeon crawling with cards. Is anyone playing or would anyone like to form an alliance? I doubt I'll be purchasing any content in game so an alliance would probably be pretty helpful.

Mrbob

Touch Arcade posted their review of Lego Harry Potter:

http://toucharcade.com/2010/11/19/l...-an-incredible-game-even-for-non-potter-fans/

Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 is without a doubt a must-buy for any real iOS gamer, barring any prejudices you may have against our scar-faced hero, of course. This is the game to show your doubting friends as I don't believe a game of this depth or breadth presently exists on the App Store, and certainly not one with the care and attention that the Warner Bros. team have expended on it. Yes, it does benefit from being a port of an existing game on a more developed system, but when the quality of the finished product is this good, who really cares? I simply cannot overstate just how high the bar has been raised for these types of games– a shout out to other developers with similar opportunities to take note of what our beloved Apple devices are really capable of.

Sounds really solid and a well made port.

Harry potter sounds great, I like the lego games but i'll think about it, I see my nephew play them so often I already feel tired.
Pastry said:
I started playing Kingdom Conquest today it's a pretty cool freemium MMO from Sega that combines dungeon crawling with cards. Is anyone playing or would anyone like to form an alliance? I doubt I'll be purchasing any content in game so an alliance would probably be pretty helpful.
I attempted to play it but it's a bit too complex for my brain, I like to sink hours into them to understand them better but because its freemium you are limted to 5 dungeon crawls a day, which was the biggest part I was interested in :/

I would love them to try a phantasy star dungeon crawler on iOS at some point, they have the assets there (ds game)

Pastry said:

Damnit, still not available in the Portuguese App store...what the hell :|

Pastry

Banned
Diablohead said:
Harry potter sounds great, I like the lego games but i'll think about it, I see my nephew play them so often I already feel tired.

I attempted to play it but it's a bit too complex for my brain, I like to sink hours into them to understand them better but because its freemium you are limted to 5 dungeon crawls a day, which was the biggest part I was interested in :/

I would love them to try a phantasy star dungeon crawler on iOS at some point, they have the assets there (ds game)

I have another question for anyone that has played Kingdom. Does anyone know how to reroll a character? I started as a swordsman but I'm thinking I'd like to roll a mage for support, and they seem powerful as shit anyways. But I just can't figure out how to reroll, hopefully I don't have to start on another server.

chris121580

I've never even seen a Harry Potter movie but am still thinking about pulling the trigger based on the reviews. Lego games are just flat out fun

otmane

I bought Lego Harry potter, the game looks very good on my iPhone 4 and the gameplay seems fine, moving with the touch screen works well and it is a very good decision as I hate virtual sticks.
I'll post some more impressions when I spend a little more time with it but for now it looks all good!

Birbo said:
Anyone have any Chu Chu Rocket impressions?
Puzzle mode is the same that it's always been. Unless your really good at mapping things out in your head, most of the puzzle solving will be done by trial and error. To be honest I've never really enjoyed this mode. The puzzles are either so straightforward I am not challenged, or so hard I either discover it by mistake or after 20+ tries till I've ruled out just about every possibility. Never gives me that "Yeah I figured it out, I'm so smart and clever" feeling of satisfaction.

The reason I purchased the game, the multiplayer mode, is the best iteration of Chu Chu I've played (compared to DC and GBA). Touching to drop arrows instead of dragging a cursor is much more natural and really adds to how frantic it gets. My only complaint is that I don’t know anyone with an iPhone/iPod who is interested in anything other than games like Angry Birds, so I have nobody to play. When they are done with the online play update it’s going to make it fantastic.

Performance wise the game runs very smooth with no hiccups during gameplay…….if it loads. The game is surprisingly intensive for what it is and often crashes before loading, which Sega has acknowledged and is working to fix. I’m playing on a 4th gen touch and the smaller screen size hasn’t been an issue for me control wise.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I really enjoyed the four minutes or so that I played with Wispin though for some reason it kept crashing on me every time I tried to start another new game. Restarting my touch didn't do much. It's friggin amazing though, everyone should pick it up since I seem to be an isolated incident.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Jangaroo said:
I really enjoyed the four minutes or so that I played with Wispin though for some reason it kept crashing on me every time I tried to start another new game. Restarting my touch didn't do much. It's friggin amazing though, everyone should pick it up since I seem to be an isolated incident.

Thanks for the kind words Jangaroo :) I can tell you that you aren't an isolated incident, however, it's happening with the iPod Touch 4 only. We tracked down the problem yesterday and already submitted a fix (long story short: it's an issue of running out of memory that only effects the iPod Touch 4, as it is the only device other than the iPhone 4 that uses the HD retina graphics... but it turns out Touch 4 has only half the RAM of iPhone 4 :/ )

Anyway, really sorry for the inconvenience.. we're hoping Apple approves the fix in a few days or less (I've heard of some people getting updates through in less than 24 hours, so who knows). In the meantime, from what I've seen if you use the 'restart' button to restart a game on the same map, instead of the 'quit' button, you shouldn't crash.

For anyone else curious about the game though, here is the iTunes link again: http://bit.ly/awhBl0

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
MrCheez said:
Thanks for the kind words Jangaroo :) I can tell you that you aren't an isolated incident, however, it's happening with the iPod Touch 4 only. We tracked down the problem yesterday and already submitted a fix (long story short: it's an issue of running out of memory that only effects the iPod Touch 4, as it is the only device other than the iPhone 4 that uses the HD retina graphics... but it turns out Touch 4 has only half the RAM of iPhone 4 :/ )

Anyway, really sorry for the inconvenience.. we're hoping Apple approves the fix in a few days or less (I've heard of some people getting updates through in less than 24 hours, so who knows). In the meantime, from what I've seen if you use the 'restart' button to restart a game on the same map, instead of the 'quit' button, you shouldn't crash.

For anyone else curious about the game though, here is the iTunes link again: http://bit.ly/awhBl0
Oh yikes, I totally didn't realize that you addressed this in your OT thread. I'm glad to hear that. I'll definitely be on the lookout for that update. And you got a real winner here. Like seriously, I kept thinking about the game last night when I went to bed since I only lasted until Wave 4.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
MrCheez said:

Do you know how the game runs in an iTouch 2g?

-htownplaya- said:
Phoenix Wright is on sale. Just bought it for 2 bucks, hope its good.
Phoenix Wright is friggin awesome. I was kinda weirder out by the usage of screen real estate, but I quickly got used to it. I'm annoyed that Japan got most of the Ace Attorney series on the iTunes store, but we only got the first :l

There's been so many good games out lately, I just wish I had the space :/ gonna pick up Wispin right now since it's likely a small file size :l

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The only thing I don't like about Phoenix Wright on iPhone is the choppiness. Otherwise it's great and worth more than $2.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Jangaroo said:
Oh yikes, I totally didn't realize that you addressed this in your OT thread. I'm glad to hear that. I'll definitely be on the lookout for that update. And you got a real winner here. Like seriously, I kept thinking about the game last night when I went to bed since I only lasted until Wave 4.

You rock man, thank you! :D You gotta try to get to 10 at least!! ;)

bernardobri said:
Do you know how the game runs in an iTouch 2g?

Runs great on all older hardware, actually :) (I have a Touch 2G at my desk right now that I have tested on thoroughly!) Only reason we were having those issues with Touch 4G is because of problems with it running the (very large) HD retina graphics without enough ram to support them, so the older models will not have that problem. (But again: that Touch 4G fix will be here in a few days!)

lucius

Playing Star Wars Arcade in AR mode in a swivel chair is pretty amazing stuff. I will likely end up playing Galaxy in Fire 2 more because of the depth but wow Star Wars arcade is a great showoff game just for fun.

Mrbob

I picked up Lego Harry Potter. Controls work great. You tap to move your character to a certain spot or just draw a path on the screen. The wand commands work well too. Only finished the first couple levels so far. Entire game package for $4.99 can't beat that!

Epic War TD is tough though! Getting owned on the second level. Though I figured out you can exit the level and reboot it on the wave you are on with everything you have making it easier to replay.

SOrry if it's been asked, but with a 3GS, should I be getting Rage or Rage HD?

From what I was told, better to get regular Rage unless you plan on upgrading to iphone 4 or ipad anytime soon. I grabbed the SD for my 3GS looks and plays fine.

Reese-015

FlyinJ said:
SOrry if it's been asked, but with a 3GS, should I be getting Rage or Rage HD?

I'm a huge graphics geek and really wanted to know this too so I tried both on my 3GS and saw no difference in visuals (and I really did my best) unless I actually took and compared screenshots. And since the HD version does have slightly lower performance on the 3GS (though not problematic), there is indeed no reason to go for it's lower framerate/longer loading times unless you're getting an iPad or iPhone 4 any time soon.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
MrCheez said:
You rock man, thank you! :D You gotta try to get to 10 at least!! ;)

Runs great on all older hardware, actually :) (I have a Touch 2G at my desk right now that I have tested on thoroughly!) Only reason we were having those issues with Touch 4G is because of problems with it running the (very large) HD retina graphics without enough ram to support them, so the older models will not have that problem. (But again: that Touch 4G fix will be here in a few days!)

Great! I will buy it as soon as I can :)

Remy

Just wanted to mention that Galaxy On Fire 2 on the iPad is AMAZING. It's what I wanted Warpgate to be!

Grab it now before the price goes up to $10!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Remy said:
Just wanted to mention that Galaxy On Fire 2 on the iPad is AMAZING. It's what I wanted Warpgate to be!

Grab it now before the price goes up to $10!

Exactly how i feel. I used to follow the development of warpgate on toucharcade but the turn out differently than i thought it would.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Will Chaos Rings ever come to Android?

That reminds me i still have to play that game.

Minsc said:
Does Square have anything on Android at all? If not, I wouldn't count on it.
Alright.

I don't have a Android or a iPhone, but just wanted to know if Square-Enix was bringing their games to multiple phones or not.

If I do get a smart phone, iPhones probably the best way to go.

gunstarhero

lucius said:
Playing Star Wars Arcade in AR mode in a swivel chair is pretty amazing stuff. I will likely end up playing Galaxy in Fire 2 more because of the depth but wow Star Wars arcade is a great showoff game just for fun.

o_O star wars arcade?!?! On iPad?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Alright.

I don't have a Android or a iPhone, but just wanted to know if Square-Enix was bringing their games to multiple phones or not.

Well if you get a smart phone get an iphone or if not get an ipod touch or ipad.

Tobor

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Alright.

If gaming is important to you, it's a no brainer.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Alright.

Android gaming is absolutely awful right now. I know a friend of mine who recently went for an Android phone and has been disappointed in the lack of games available. The selection is quite meager overall and the quality is generally low. The game selection is about in line with the first few months of the iPhone app store. Everything feels unpolished and performance is very slow across the board (he's using a fast Galaxy S phone as well). It's a shame as the hardware is fast, but there's definitely something up with Android gaming.

iPhone is the best phone gaming platform right now, but Windows Phone 7 seems like a decent competitor and offer comparable performance and other great features. It has a small library as well, but it was already much better than Android on day 1!

japtor

Lord Error said:
Cave's Bug Panic is excellent.

dark10x, you can also flick your thumb over the aiming area in the direction of enemy, to launch lock on bombs to them, you don't have to just hold and aim, then release. Flicking works great for smaller enemies, so you can deal with them easily while moving around.

I agree with you btw, the game works much better than a typical dual stick shooter.
I think if you do that you don't set off chains, it seems like you have to get the 3 locks (and maybe hold a little longer) to get the chaining to go.
lucius said:
How do the regular Star Wars backgrounds look? Like do they move around convincingly with the device movement?

Tobor

japtor said:
I think if you do that you don't set off chains, it seems like you have to get the 3 locks (and maybe hold a little longer) to get the chaining to go.

How do the regular Star Wars backgrounds look? Like do they move around convincingly with the device movement?
They look great, so far.

My mind is blown by this game. It's the sequel to Star Wars Arcade I always wanted, with game play not possible before, on my phone. What a future we live in.

xbhaskarx

Does Star Wars Arcade really work as well as it appears to in the videos?
Fuck it, I don't have the patience to wait for a response, buying now :lol

lucius

japtor said:

They look fine not as great as galaxy on fire 2, but fine so far, you can save your game at any point and switch to AR mode or back to regular game background mode. The regular game so far has the death star and some planets from what I have seen not sure if that is the whole game though. It very much feels like an arcade game so it does fit the name, great fun for me, funny seeing my cat in background while shooting down tie fighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom