• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

Hmm, maybe it was pulled off the store temporarily? I grabbed it last night.

Edit: I see it is in the new and noteworthy section so could be a server error.

Splatterhouse is up too I might get it.

gunstarhero

Mrbob said:
Hmm, maybe it was pulled off the store temporarily? I grabbed it last night.

Edit: I see it is in the new and noteworthy section so could be a server error.

Splatterhouse is up too I might get it.

Ah - found the issue on the twitters:

"cave_world_en If you're looking for the game from an iPad, it probably won't show up since iOS 4.2 is not out yet. Try searching iTunes from your PC."

Sucks for me since on I'm an iPad - kind of lame it doesn't work for the existing OS :/

soldat7

rc213 said:
Anyone here own Shanghai Mahjong $0.99?

Kinda ticks me off that superior Mahjong games don't get highlighted on iTunes. Everywhere you look, that stinking Shanghai Mahjong game is featured, leaving the others with no limelight.

I prefer both Random Mahjong
mzl.bzvflwny.320x480-75.jpg

and Mahjong Elements
mzl.rwmoiklf.320x480-75.jpg

Both run at Retina resolution and have Lite versions.

Shall definetly be grabbing Rage HD considering all the love it's getting. Just need to clear some space on my iPhone, really starting to wish I'd gone with the 32GB :lol. Bloody apps!

Been spending far too much time playing Smurfs recently. I can see how people get addicted to these farmville type games.

Edit: Also grabbing Wispin, I got the chance to Beta test it but I was fairly busy during the period so I didn't get to spend too much time with it. Enjoyed what I played though and happy to support a fellow gaffer!

japtor

gunstarhero said:
Ah - found the issue on the twitters:

"cave_world_en If you're looking for the game from an iPad, it probably won't show up since iOS 4.2 is not out yet. Try searching iTunes from your PC."

Sucks for me since on I'm an iPad - kind of lame it doesn't work for the existing OS :/
Well you can install 4.2 (hint hint gumballtech.com), and while it won't show up in the store on the iPad still (I'm guessing it's filtered out server side rather than client side), it does work if you download it on the computer then sync it (I tested that out last night). If you're going to get it either way you might as well buy now while it's on sale.
soldat7 said:
Kinda ticks me off that superior Mahjong games don't get highlighted on iTunes. Everywhere you look, that stinking Shanghai Mahjong game is featured, leaving the others with no
I'd be more ticked off if I were looking for a regular mahjong game rather than solitaire (I think "shanghai" is the proper term), 99% of the games that call themselves "mahjong" on the store are the solitaire type.
randomlyrossy said:
Shall definetly be grabbing Rage HD considering all the love it's getting. Just need to clear some space on my iPhone, really starting to wish I'd gone with the 32GB :lol. Bloody apps!
Yeah 16 is killing me right now too. Most of my space is apps so I should just delete a bunch of the games I don't play, afraid of running out of space if I just shoot some videos.

soldat7 said:
Kinda ticks me off that superior Mahjong games don't get highlighted on iTunes. Everywhere you look, that stinking Shanghai Mahjong game is featured, leaving the others with no limelight.

and Mahjong Elements

Both run at Retina resolution and have Lite versions.
Shanghai Mahjong has Retina resolution and a lite version. What in particular makes you prefer those versions? How's Aki Mahjong? I know it's not universal, but I'm a long time Ambrosia Software fan (we're talking before the first Escape Velocity game) and was thinking of getting that one to support them.

rc213

soldat7 said:

http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/054/Purple/bc/15/cf/mzl.bzvflwny.320x480-75.jpg[/IMG

and [URL="http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/mahjong-elements/id391492471?mt=8"][B]Mahjong Elements[/B][/URL]
[IMG]http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/004/Purple/05/82/33/mzl.rwmoiklf.320x480-75.jpg[/IMG

Both run at Retina resolution and have Lite versions.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Will check out the lite versions and decide.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Anyone knows a good app for Shogi (Japanese Chess)? In particular I'm looking for one that introduces you the basics of the game...

wiispin just got a buck from me ;)

it's a really good game, actually, it was a pity buy at first lol

CONGRATS DUDE! THAT WAS AWESOME!

EDIT: ALREADY RATE IT 5 STAR AWESOME!

Reese-015

Mastering the active reload in Rage feels so bad-ass when you start feeling it as a rhythm and don't look at the reload bar any more. (and I just got A+ on the first level on Hard, YEAH)

DodgerSan

runnin_blue said:
Ok, I know this is probably the lamest question in the world but can Game Dev Story be played on an iPad? Please excuse my noobness.

Yep, pixel-doubled. Due to the art style it looks fine :)

runnin_blue said:
Ok, I know this is probably the lamest question in the world but can Game Dev Story be played on an iPad? Please excuse my noobness.

Any iPhone app can be used on the iPad. You can either play it in a very small window or have it blasted up to fill the entire screen.

Vinterbird said:
Any iPhone app can be used on the iPad. You can either play it in a very small window or have it blasted up to fill the entire screen.

For some reason I thought that unless an app had that little plus sign next to the price then it wasn't cross compatible. Silly me. Now I realize it just means it is optimized for both. Duh.

EDIT: lol'd at the amount of shit I've missed out on because of this.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Reese-015 said:
For me personally, these are the essentials in creating music on my iPhone:
ThumbJam - VERY EASY to make awesome stuff in this, comfortable learning curve
Dopplerpad - has some depth in terms of creating your own fx/synths, looks awesome, great for creating electronic-sounding bits
Beatmaker - hard learning curve if you wanna use it properly but it ROCKS and is the centerpiece of how I do all my work, I copy/paste ThumbJam & Dopplerpad stuff in here
Filtatron - came out recently, was the missing piece in my arsenal to really manipulate sounds and make them sound organic, warm, distorted and fucked up :D

Example of something I made using mainly Beatmaker/Dopplerpad/ThumbJam (without using a pc or anything else): http://soundcloud.com/reese015/daylight

Just been and bought all these apps (along with Wispin and the cheaper game dev story, spluuuurge!) and tried out beatmaker and I've gotta say, even from a few minutes playing with it it's incredible. Now to spend the weekend digging into them and hope that my band will let me play a song on the iPhone :lol they balked a little at the DS-10 so hopefully the shininess of these apps will sway them. I get the feeling I can get some interesting bass sounds out of this.

Minsc

Gold Member
Looks like the TD genre is still alive and kicking! Some pretty notable additions have piled up.

There's LotR:Middle-earth TD, which is probably the biggest TD on the appstore, weighing in at ~200 megs compressed, it's a glu developed gamed, using the LotR license, with retina display and a bit of RPG mixed in to the TD with the story's heroes.

iBomber Defense is another recent one, looked a little different as it is a WWII TD game, with towers that need to be repaired, and supposedly pretty complex and good.

Finally, Epic War TD is short, but sweet, apparently. Nice graphics, very busy gameplay, and also reviewed positively. The genre never dies! :)

ChackanKun said:
Is Oregon Trail worth it? Tried the demo and, despite being really short, enjoyed it!

Wait for it to go on sale for .99 again? Bound to be some big sales over thanksgiving and the holidays! I played a bit of it and it was ok, more like a casual game.

SmokyDave

Jedeye Sniv said:
Well judging by this thread he's already got enough dough to buy a can of coke and a mars bar, so he's in the black :p
He can get a Mars Bar Duo if he wants to, I just bought it too.

I'd probably spend the extra upgrading the can of Coke to a 500ml American Cream Soda though.

Minsc

Gold Member
heringer said:
I hate TD games. :(

And you're not alone by any means, most people hate them I think. They're like crack at times though, especially when you hit a huge spike in difficulty - that's when they're most frustrating/enjoyable. I almost think of them as animated RPG chess games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Spent some time with Mushihimesama Bug Panic and came away very impressed. I was under the impression it was a dual stick shooter, but that's not quite right. You do indeed aim with your right thumb while moving with the left, but it is not simply a matter of pointing a constantly firing weapon at hoards of enemies. Rather, you move a cursor around the screen with your right thumb, target up to three enemies at a time, and then lift your thumb to launch bombs in their direction. If you hold it long enough (only 3 seconds or so) a bar at the bottom fills up and delivers more damage. It's a mechanic not dissimilar from what you get in Panzer Dragoon or Rez.

The problem I've had with dual stick shooters on the iPhone is simply that leaving your thumb on the screen constantly while moving it around to fire becomes tiresome quick. As this is not a constant action and it actually demands specific targeting, it does not feel as if you are emulating a joystick on the screen.

I also quite like the flexible movement "stick". You can place your thumb anywhere and that becomes the center point. From there, you can move freely. A nice touch lacking in many games featuring this setup is the quick fading of the virtual stick. When you touch the screen, a stick will appear for a couple of seconds before quickly fading out leaving the screen free of extra interface options. It just looks cleaner and feels nicer as a result.

The progression of the game is also quite fun. You have an overhead selection map with levels to progress through similar to something like Mario World and each stage is reasonably short making them good for quick portable play. The design within each stage is focused on clearing areas and moving forward. Many titles of this variety tend to drop the ball when it comes to actual enemy placement and it can become boring. Cave knows what they are doing, however, and sends well thought out waves of enemies that demand quick movement and precise aiming. Three hits and you're dead, which means a restart of the level and an actual challenge to work towards. The waves are definitely inspired by their other vertical shooters with bullet patterns and large groups to manage.

Along with all of this you get the typical Cave style sprite work with a smooth 60 fps and fantastic soundtrack. It feels every bit as polished as you'd expect from a company like Cave. Seems like the type of game you might find on something like Sega Saturn or even NeoGeo. Would have been cool if they supported the retina display, though. Even if they did not aim for high resolution art work, they could have at least sharpened the image to give us that crisp retro pixelated look rather than having the iPhone4 filter the image.

So, yeah, if you're into Japanese arcade action games with a lot of polish, this is a great choice. If you're not into dual stick shooters on the iPhone, worry not, this is much better and very different than you might expect.

Can anyone recommend a good advance wars-style game with asynchronous multiplayer? I've tried a few but have run into some difficulties:

1) Mecho Wars -- not bad, but push notifications don't work, so it never got played.
2) rogue planet -- also not bad; conflation of movement/attack mechanics kinda clunky; worst: sometimes you will open an in-progress internet game only to find it will never load (ever. again. i've tried a million things -- reboot, close all multitasking apps, delete & resync. if you have a solution, let me know).

So are there any that beat these for a good MP advance wars experience?

catapult37 said:
Can anyone recommend a good advance wars-style game with asynchronous multiplayer? I've tried a few but have run into some difficulties:

1) Mecho Wars -- not bad, but push notifications don't work, so it never got played.
2) rogue planet -- also not bad; conflation of movement/attack mechanics kinda clunky; worst: sometimes you will open an in-progress internet game only to find it will never load (ever. again. i've tried a million things -- reboot, close all multitasking apps, delete & resync. if you have a solution, let me know).

Uniwar?

catapult37 said:

Have you tried Uniwar? I played it quite a bit about a year ago and had a blast.

Edit: Dammit.

PalaceBrother said:
Have you tried Uniwar? I played it quite a bit about a year ago and had a blast.

Edit: Dammit.

Oh, man, I OWN Uniwar and just forgot I had it. It was one of the first iPhone games I bought. Looks like it does push as well -- thanks for the reminder!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Cave's Bug Panic is excellent.

dark10x, you can also flick your thumb over the aiming area in the direction of enemy, to launch lock on bombs to them, you don't have to just hold and aim, then release. Flicking works great for smaller enemies, so you can deal with them easily while moving around.

I agree with you btw, the game works much better than a typical dual stick shooter.

Mrbob

So I'm feeling like I'm the only one having issues with Game Center. :lol It connects in every Game Center app I have but nothing shows up. I can't see any achievement or leader boards.

Katana_Strikes said:
Epic War looks good and it's on offer over this weekend, so I might pick that up. Creeps was also a very enjoyable TD game.

I'm superficial at times I picked it up because the art looks like Starcraft and it was only a buck. :lol I'll try it out later today!

dark10x, you can also flick your thumb over the aiming area in the direction of enemy, to launch lock on bombs to them, you don't have to just hold and aim, then release. Flicking works great for smaller enemies, so you can deal with them easily while moving around.

Oh nice tip! Really enjoying this game.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Dynoro said:
Wispin get! Hope the sales go well

Hearing the phrase "Wispin get!" totally makes my week :lol

Thanks guys, hope you enjoy! I mentioned it in the other thread, but last night we submitted a bugfix patch for some off-and-on crashing issues with iPod Touch 4, and we're also tweaking/polishing a few things here or there for another update very soon. If anyone has any bugs they've encountered or just suggestions for gameplay/control tweaks that would improve the game, hit me up at feedback@grumpyfacestudios.com or send a PM :)

Mrbob

I'll have to get Wispin later today. Support local gaffer!

otmane said:
Did anyone try Lego Harry Potter on iPhone?
I'm tempted to buy it and any feedback would be appreciated!

I don't know if the comment is true, but I read a review which said this is just like the DS game. So is the DS version any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom