• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian review embargo lifts on December 5th at 7am PST/10am EST/16.00 CET

I came close with my FFXV of 83 meta.

I'll go with 85 for TLG. I believe most of the complaints will be due to the AI nnd movement issues of the beast character. Sure it looks fine in the press but in game there will be a lot more jank than expected.

Yazzees

Meta score will be crippled by lack of open world and waypoint markers. I don't have faith in the reviewers at major publications to expand their taste much beyond that + shooters.

And people thought XV was going to be the blood bath..

72-76. People will complain it feels like a PS2 game, that there isn't enough to do, and that's it's either too long or too short for what it is.

gogojira

I think the few really high reviews will balance out the few really low reviews and most others will fall 7.5 to 8.5.

RootCause

I'm terrible at guessing. With that said. I'm going with 75. I'm afraid reviewers will think of it as outdated, and penalize it for it. I wish it places in the high 80's or low 90's, and hopefully the high scores translate into sales that are above expectations. I would really love to get more games like this. :)

One key component I see this game having over FFXV is the fact that the thematic presentation and story doesn't feel all over the place. It's lack of characterization expect for key moments can serve to heighten the delivery of the important elements.

It's going to be the controlling of the MC and the responsiveness of the environmental interactions of the doggo char as well as how organic they can make the control and cooperation of fell that will make or break the overall consensus score. I don't expect this to be perfect hence the reasoning for my 85 prediction.

Justinh

This is my guess. Hearing the early impressions seems to make it sound like it's really good with a lot of good little touches in the game. The people from whom I heard the impressions haven't actually finished the game though, so who knows.

I think 92 is a solid answer. (just slightly higher than Ico)

Actually, I'm lowering it to 90. I forgot about the camera complaints.

Azzanadra

I said it might be low 80s earlier but I am not so sure anymore. Critics coming down harder on games this generation has more to do with fatigue with the same types of games and the same genres, like FFXV coming out in a world with Soulsborne and The Witcher 3 was never going to net it high scores if Square fell back on the same tired tropes and ideas as they always do. Same thing with Doom, it was what, 85 on meta critic? It would have gotten a 90 last generation and is genuinely an amazing game, its mid-80 is well deserved as we moved past the inflation of game scores that was present last generation.

The Last Guardian, however, is unique. Their may never be a game like it for a long time, and I think for that reason reviewers will be more lenient on the technical side of things, if its like the previous Ueda games, it will move reviewers like games rarely do these days and will appeal to their softer senses.

So I think- no, believe, that this game will get a metacritic score between 86 and 92.

You can still lock in your guesses over on OpenCritic.

KihrFBD.png

If TLG gets above 85+ (which is surely on the optimistic side), I'd be shocked.
In this modern age of cookie cutter open world AAA games and MP-only loot box mania, that's what reviewers thirst for from non indie games.

This is my guess. Hearing the early impressions seems to make it sound like it's really good with a lot of good little touches in the game. The people from whom I heard the impressions haven't actually finished the game though, so who knows.

I think 92 is a solid answer. (just slightly higher than Ico)

Actually, I'm lowering it to 90. I forgot about the camera complaints.

I like your optimism.
But sadly I don't feel like reviewers are receptive to this type of game anymore though I hope I'm wrong.

OléGunner;226027098 said:
In this modern age of cookie cutter open world AAA games and MP-only loot box mania, that's what reviewers thirst for from non indie games.

I like your optimism.
But sadly I don't feel like reviewers are receptive to this type of game anymore though I hope I'm wrong.
Inside is the third highest rated Xbox One game on Metacritic, right between MGS V and Witcher 3

And an Ueda game is basically as close to indie game as you can get without being an indie game, in terms of unique aesthetic and experimentation

cheesekao

Bloodborne is one of the highest rated games of this Gen and it fits none of those criteria.

Bloodborne is one of the highest rated games of this Gen and it fits none of those criteria.

Neither is Uncharted 4 or Bayonetta 2. I don't think TLG will be judged by the same AAA standards regardless, maybe even to the point that technical flaws will be somewhat forgiven. It offers something unique.

Lingitiz

I like your optimism.
Acting like all open world games get great reviews. Mafia 3 got savaged by reviews. Mad Max, Just Cause 3, got lukewarm reception. Uncharted 4 is the highest rated game of the generation.

Justinh

I like your optimism.

I just think that... I'll have to go back and listen, but the guy(s) that were talking about it made it sound almost "refreshing" (besides the camera and some weird feeling controls sometimes but he didn't think those were too major). Plus how it was said not really spoiler/tagged for people who want to stay fresh that like...
you enter an area and there aren't really hints on where to start on solving a puzzle, besides little things that Trico does makes me feel that some people will really be into it since there seem to be people that are getting sick of the handholding in video games.
I could be misinterpreting his/their thoughts though, I should relisten.

Plus the mentions of the little touches. I think little touches do lots in the end. I might be wrong on that though. They certainly make me plus on a game.

Inside is the third highest rated Xbox One game on Metacritic, right between MGS V and Witcher 3

And an Ueda game is basically as close to indie game as you can get without being an indie game, in terms of unique aesthetic and experimentation

Yeah I hear ya.
I think I'm just a glass half full kind of guy lol.

If the quality of the game is up to snuff, this should really be in and around Ico and SoTC levels, can't think of any other game that plays or looks like this.

I just think that... I'll have to go back and listen, but the guy(s) that were talking about it made it sound almost "refreshing" (besides the camera and some weird feeling controls sometimes but he didn't think those were too major). Plus how it was said not really spoiler/tagged for people who want to stay fresh that like...
you enter an area and there aren't really hints on where to start on solving a puzzle, besides little things that Trico does makes me feel that some people will really be into it since there seem to be people that are getting sick of the handholding in video games.
I could be misinterpreting his/their thoughts though, I should relisten.

Plus the mentions of the little touches. I think little touches do lots in the end. I might be wrong on that though. They certainly make me plus on a game.
Also don't underestimate cultural context, I think SImon Parkin's quote from his GOTY list rings true
If ever there was a story to salve the wounds inflicted by this dark year, this is it.
A game about companionship and building a bond and unity to cap off this shitty fucked-up year? People might be desperate for a game like this for some escapism

Endo Punk

Anything less than 80 and I'll be surprised. I'm not as pessimistic as most, There is a reason Ico & tlg are revered, even the re-releases were highly praised in 2010. Even if the camera isn't smooth or the frame rate dips that's expected but what matters is the gameplay and emotions you experience throughout the journey and I definitely feel that isn't dated like it wasn't in 2001 when ico released. Sales may suffer but critical praise a plenty.

The scoring culture for video games is so poisonous. *insert rant here*

Having said that, I predict something around an 83!

Top Bottom