• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian: Review Thread

BraXzy

It depresses me that I have to wait till Friday for the UK release but from the sounds of it, it'll be wort the wait. I predicted 81 on OpenCritic... let's see :O

Loris146

Screen_Shot_2016_12_05_at_9_56_00_AM.png

AHahahahahahahaha

liquidtmd

Banned
A Resident Evil 7 demo impending release thread, a FFXV spoiler thread, a Marvel Vs Capcom 4 announcement thread and now a Last Guardian review thread all on page 1 of GAF - IS THIS REAL LIFE??

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Some of the comments here have to parody. Have to be.

Game looks great, and has since it's E3 reveal.

PlayStation Universe (PSU.com) -- http://www.psu.com/review/31726/the-last-guardian-review

9 / 10

At the heart of The Last Guardian’s enigma—beneath colossal expectations, speculation about development hell, and undeniably frustrating technical issues—is a beautiful, affecting story about two creatures that find comfort in each other. Their relationship is realized in spectacular fashion, blossoming organically in a marriage of gameplay and story like few others. That marriage is far from perfect; it’s marred by a slow middle act, distracting framerate drops, and sloppy control. In spite of frustrations (and because of a few), The Last Guardian is one of gaming’s greatest adventures. The boy and Trico come together in a timeless parable that—improbably, against all odds—was worth the wait.

This oughtta be good!

The part about an achievement for completion in a few hours kind of concerns me, as I'm not sure of the value proposition of spending full-price on a game that I will likely play once. Unless it's so good that I will replay it, like a Journey.

Even if it has glowing reviews, I see myself personally waiting for a price drop. But let's see how it goes :)

I didn't quite manage to finish it in time for the embargo, but I absolutely adore the several hours of it that I've played. It's just a phenomenal game IMO, and so unique.

Hands On: The Last Guardian on PS4 Is a Breath of Beautiful Fresh Air

All in all, The Last Guardian is something quite exceptional. Mechanically, it's imperfect: the controls can be somewhat cumbersome and the camera is problematic in close quarters. But these issues almost melt into insignificance when you consider that this is a game so creatively dense, so cleverly put-together that it will stand the test of time for years to come. It's taken a long time, but The Last Guardian has been more than worth the wait.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/12/hands_on_the_last_guardian_on_ps4_is_a_breath_of_beautiful_fresh_air

Video is just processing, but more opinion and gameplay here: https://youtu.be/5YPuvJBse-w

sarcoa

DigitalChumps is switching severs and getting a new CMS. For now the raw text of my review is dumped here (I think): http://txti.es/tfiho

Takeaways:

- For the first four or so hours I assumed The Last Guardian simply aspired to be a role-reversal take on Ico. A fun if not slightly cumbersome puzzle game with light platforming elements. I kept searching for the moments that made Ico and Shadow special, and I wasn't finding them

- That changled completely in the last act. There wasn't some big reveal, I just wasn't paying attention to what The Last Guardian was creating with the relationship between the boy and Trico. It was leaving pieces, I just wasn't assembling them. The Last Guardian has its "moments" that will endure and trancend the game elements, just like Ueda's previous work.

- People will complain that Trico is stubborn and refuses to listen to commands, or that it's hard to immediately tell where you should be going, especially when Trico doesn't seem interesting in going there. This is valid. The game would be easier if you had some kind of pointer mechanic to clearly direct Trico. I think this would also destroy much of the point of the game. Building the relationship, through hardship that may or may not be intentional, succeeds in forming a bond.

I think this will be the most divisive issue in the game, and people on either side will have enough to create a good argument.

- Not up for debate: the climbing mechanic sucks (the boy can't accend a rope and leap off with any sort of reliability), the camera is messy, climbing on Trico has some vestigal difficulty from climbing a Colossus, and the frame rate occasionally takes a serious hit. I didn't care about any of this, and it didn't affect my admiration for the game.

- I have a suspicion that people that have loving relationship with a dog or cat will get more out of the game

- Watch through the credits.

Top Bottom