• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian: Review Thread

Divisive as expected.

To me that always means play it yourself.

Rent it, see how you feel. Don't judge a game without playing by validating just one end of the spectrum.

Sethista

It seems if the story and relationship is the focus of the review, is a high score.

If it is the technical angle, it tends to be lower.

Good for, me, I dont mind gameplay a little janky if the story and emotional beats are just right, so I am completely pumped for this

ironcreed

Banned
What footage I have watched had me convinced that they knocked it out of the park, so I still plan to pick it up. Just at a later date, as I just bought FFXV deluxe edition, which is one the way, plus Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2. I'm done for the year.

Jarmel

Banned
They're not really all over the place. You have a distribution from 6.5-9 with mostnscores in a narrow range. Not like you're seeing 2s and 3s.
A sizable number of reviews are generally done with the US grading scale in mind so a 6.5 is vastly different from a 9.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Come on now.
Skimming thru some reviews it's obvious game had camera, control and performance issues. That's enough for me to pass on this. It might be a great game in there but shitty camera and controls are inexcusable for me nowadays. It's not the 90s.

But aren't you playing Final Fantasy XV? My understanding is that game's camera is a hindrance as well. Am I wrong?

NotLiquid

Jim really eviscerates the game on it's controls/physics in his review.

If judged on a purely technical level, I’d go so far as to say The Last Guardian is a disaster.

For all its environmental beauty, this game’s chaotic physics and capricious controls conspire to erode the trust a player ought to have in their game. I couldn’t trust this game to be straight with me, to offer a working solution or let me know when I was on the right track.

After so many false starts, random deaths, and obfuscating level design, I was left perpetually unsure of both myself and The Last Guardian. So much waiting to see if Trico would actually respond, so many opportunities provided by the designers to go in the wrong direction, so few clear indications that Trico’s working instead of just faffing around.

Scrawnton

I look forward to people trying to say a 7/10 is bad or a disappointing score.
He 84 metacritic ff15 got was the end of the world in that review thread. I'd love to see some of those people that attacked FF15 defend the last guardian if its metacritic is in the 70s.

And here we go with the slating of the sites that have given it less than 7.

Seems like the games suffers from frame rate issues.

rhandino

Banned
Oh my...

bo4pz59.gif

John Wick

Ah fuck I went to Amazon to cancel my order after these reviews but it's already been shipped

It's quite obvious what type of game it is. If you like Team ICO games then you'll probably love it. Do you let other people's opinions sway your choice???

SomTervo

Slant Mag and Jim and Polygon. Pretty popular review sites to score a game so low.

Polygon gave TLoU a 7/10 and Jim almost always seems to go against the grain nowadays. I'm not surprised at all.

Besides, 6/10 and 7.5/10 are still more than good enough if you're into this sort of game.

Seems like the Trico AI is endearing at first because its nice to have him not exactly follow your commands, but if you've mentally solved the puzzle you can get stuck trying to figure out how to manipulate him and it can wear you down.

All round, The Last Guardian feels meticulously pieced together and is easily one of the PlayStation 4’s stronger exclusive titles. It’s risky and unconventional, flouting modern design practices in a way that few other AAA game would dare to in 2016. Although far from perfect and a little worn from age, it’s a one of a kind experience and hopefully won’t be the last we see from Fumito Ueda and this enchanting world.

Ok, good. Sounds like a ICO/SotC game. And that's all i wanted.

ASIS

They're not really all over the place. You have a distribution from 6.5-9 with mostnscores in a narrow range. Not like you're seeing 2s and 3s.

It is for what is hyped as a cult classic.

But the amount of 9's its been getting is a reassuring. I just got the game myself and can't wait to play it!

He 84 metacritic ff15 got was the end of the world in that review thread. I'd love to see some of those people that attacked FF15 defend the last guardian if its metacritic is in the 70s.

That was ridiculous too. People seem to be in the mindset that any game that isn't high-80s to 90s is awful.

Can't say I agree with people who say the game seems to be 'divisive'

Most of the reviews seem to have similar praise and criticism, but for some the controls, commands, and performance hurt the experience more than others.

Sounds like it has big framerate and control problems (which Ico and SOTC both suffered from - do they not learn?)

What a shame. Still excited to play this, but that's unexcusable, especially after so long in development.

Jimquisition said:
To begin with the most glaring fault, Trico truly puts the “artificial” in “artificial intelligence.” While sometimes he’ll follow commands and do what’s necessary, trying to get him to perform simple tasks is all too frequently like pulling teeth.

He’ll regularly turn around and go back the way he came, unresponsively dawdle around despite repeated calls for action, and generally be a complete pain in the arse to deal with. I cannot thoroughly enough express the sheer frustration involved in knowing exactly what the beast has to do, knowing how to get him to do it, and being left exasperated as Trico just won’t do it.

Ueda "warned" us about this. Is it really that bad? Hopefully not.

If frustrating controls are dragging most of these scores down, then consider me excited. I can trade that off for emotional moments that pull at my heart. I won't be happy, but I'll survive no problem.

Kilau

LOL, some people really want this game to be bad.

If all you care about is scores, this game is scoring pretty well so far.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, now it's fair to say that, if you're going to play this game, play it on a PS4 Pro using the 1080p mode. Near flawless 30fps, at least.

It is the only way to play it without slowdown. It's very choppy on a base PS4 and not great in the 4K mode either. Seriously.

Top Bottom