• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian: Review Thread

ViolentP

Sounds like it has big framerate and control problems (which Ico and SOTC both suffered from - do they not learn?)

What a shame. Still excited to play this, but that's unexcusable, especially after so long in development.

I've realized that long development times usually indicate issues and not refinement, sadly.

Boke1879

It is for what is hyped as a cult classic.

But the amount of 9's its been getting is a reassuring. I just got the game myself and can't wait to play it!

?? A "cult" classic most definitely would be getting reviews that spread from 7 to 10's.

The game is going to come down to preference. It isn't for everyone. I'm sure the fandom will love it.

Oh ew, Peter Brown reviewed it. That dude thought there was depth in No Man's Sky's writing, dude couldn't understand depth in an ocean.

SomTervo

Jim really eviscerates the game on it's controls/physics in his review.

Pretty scathing. Although based on how frequently Jim seems to have control problems in games most people are totally fine with (and his criticisms of VR for this were laughable), I'll be looking elsewhere for confirmation re controls.

Or, uh, I'll be enjoying the game myself no matter what.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
They're not really all over the place. You have a distribution from 6.5-9 with mostnscores in a narrow range. Not like you're seeing 2s and 3s.

If I'm currently playing SOTC and I think it's just OK, you think I'd enjoy TLG?

Duxxy3

Not going to skip on this, but going to wait until next year to pick it up. Just too many games on my backlog of games that I actually want to play. A separate list from the games that I actually own.

Marmelade

Well, now it's fair to say that, if you're going to play this game, play it on a PS4 Pro using the 1080p mode. Near flawless 30fps, at least.

It is the only way to play it without slowdown. It's very choppy on a base PS4 and not great in the 4K mode either. Seriously.

that doesn't sound good...at all

Principate

Saint Titanfall
They're not really all over the place. You have a distribution from 6.5-9 with mostnscores in a narrow range. Not like you're seeing 2s and 3s.
Be real now what major games score 2-3's ever. Video game reviewers aren't well known for their full use of the scale

The game would have to be truly dire to even have a sniff at those scores.

Karak

Well, now it's fair to say that, if you're going to play this game, play it on a PS4 Pro using the 1080p mode. Near flawless 30fps, at least.

It is the only way to play it without slowdown. It's very choppy on a base PS4 and not great in the 4K mode either. Seriously.
And lets be honest DOES drop in 1080p mode. Not sure I agree with near flawless with my 14 hours with it

GHG

Gold Member
Well, now it's fair to say that, if you're going to play this game, play it on a PS4 Pro using the 1080p mode.

Fuck. Thanks for letting us know though.

I'll wait until I get a pro at some point next year to get this then. Hopefully it will be cheaper by then as well.

But Simon perkin and Chris Donlan said

Is there an option inside the game to switch between 1080p mode and 4k mode?

dracula_x

How is the Metacritic? I predicted 81.

83 at the moment

XmbO7HB.png

MrHoot

Meh, I disagree with Jim on this one, feels he's being very hyperbolic and kinda forgets the core design of the game, but fine. 6.5 is pretty "low" (i would cal this game more than "alright") but to each his own

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
And lets be honest DOES drop in 1080p mode.
True, but it's ~95%+ stable. It's really very reasonable at 1080p on the Pro.

...but those others mode. Yeesh.

Is there an option inside the game to switch between 1080p mode and 4k mode?
No. You have to change it in the OS.

Go check out Tom's video on it - it's all in there. You can see the real damage. Disappointing, for sure.

Jesus.

So that's what, a 20 fps game on the base PS4?

Unacceptable.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sounds like the complaints some people have regarding this game are largely the same things people don't like about Ico and SotC. I love both those games, with all their quirks and oddities, so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this too.

phansen

Neo Member
Everything as expected. Gonna buy physically so i can sell if i don't like it (Ico and SotC weren't my cup of tea).

This is quite sad to read.

Top Bottom