• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 and Iron Man VR Delayed

Can’t help but wonder what’s next. I have to imagine a ton of delays are inbound (completely understandable).

I know they say consoles won’t be affected but I’m not convinced

kingbean

Microsoft are master minds. Don't have to worry about delaying games if you don't have any on the way.

Seriously bro. Can you not? This broke my heart. I know people joke a lot, but in this day in age people say shit like this and then live stream it.

Don't worry I won't live stream it, I don't even have a webcam.

Oh yeah, people do that shit on their phones now don't they. Hmm, oh well I won't do that either. :D

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Already knew this so im not surprised. I am surprised that Ghost of Tsushima wasn't included with TLOUP2 and Iron Man VR as im expecting that to be delayed to the Fall. On the positive side, if it means TLOUP2 (and Tsushima when it gets delayed) are going to be cross-gen and I can play them on PS5 instead of PS4 at launch, im all for it. :)

bitbydeath

Can’t help but wonder what’s next. I have to imagine a ton of delays are inbound (completely understandable).

I know they say consoles won’t be affected but I’m not convinced

They’re trying to be optimistic that things will clear up in advanced....

tenor.gif

GymWolf

the screen with the black guy under the rain is my favourite screen of the bunch.

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
Yeah, cause those more than 10 million people who downloaded digital only Warzone with it's 100 gig are surely clueless and can't handle games this big being digital.

I couldnt care less about Call of Duty, but Wasn't that a free pack? I mean you are comparing a free downloable pack for a multiplatform game with a first party game which will have to be released from the Sony servers the same day by 15 million people approximately.

Ok, you are clueless indeed

Since when is an 80 metacritic considered "middling"?

Meh, this delay isnt a big deal for me. More important things to be concerned about right now. If anything I'll probably still be busy with Snowrunner.

Coming off the back of RE 2 Remaster with a 91 - 80 is middling. Also, even though the reviews are positive the only thing people seem to be talking about is the (short) length of the campaign.

Why dont just released it digitaly?
That was my question, why not going 100% digital, this is the time for it... I assume that there is some behind the scene deals with retailers or something of that nature.... I was waiting for this game to push me through these times.
This is in NO way a console war event. Microsoft are not going to catch up until they release games. That is the only way this happens. Sony could not release another game for a year and if Microsoft do not put out better 1st party exclusives they've not caught up to Sony.
Yup, their (MS) games are pretty much irrelevant by now.

Sony has some down years from time to time, then they have a couple years of amazing output. I prefer this over constant releases of good-but-not-so-great games... where the hype of the E3 reveal is the best part of a game (basically this whole gen at xbox).
I don't think the divide would be as big as you think in the current circumstances. People should be staying at home and limiting deliveries to reduce risk of exposure. Buying games digital is the right thing to do at the moment.
This is why I pre-ordered FF VII digital after playing the demo.

Makes sense not to release in the middle of a global pandemic.

How does it make sense? Perhaps the physical sales could suffer due to scarcity but digital would blossom. Everyone is at home stuck and glooed to their TVs. I dont think this has anything to do with the pandemic, reading this I think only a month before release "we are nearly done with development". By now the game should of gone into printing. They are just using the current situation as an excuse that they havent finished the game on time and need more to work on it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How does it make sense? Perhaps the physical sales could suffer due to scarcity but digital would blossom. Everyone is at home stuck and glooed to their TVs. I dont think this has anything to do with the pandemic, reading this I think only a month before release "we are nearly done with development". By now the game should of gone into printing. They are just using the current situation as an excuse that they havent finished the game on time and need more to work on it.
I'm thinking Sony is too afraid of losing disc sales to people in other countries who rely on discs or have shittier internet/bandwidth. They don't want those people pissed and watching a YT longplay video and then saying.... "Nahh.... I don't need to get it anymore".

Although to counter that argument, as you said digital sales should shoot up even more, so profit wise they'd scoop up the full $60.

Personally, I think the corona issue is giving them another reason to delay this game for PS5 launch so it has a key game to promote. Probably will have PS5 bundles with the game included on day one.

Last edited:

Fnord

Someone on the first page got it. The longer this thing drags out, the longer people are out of work, the less people will be willing or able to spend money on trivial things like video games. Doesn't matter if they're digital or physical.

MayauMiao

Better to delay for the sake of discs buyers (me included).

No one likes to be spoiled by the digital version release early.

sinnergy

Yep. I can gaurantee almost every game is going to face a delay of some sort. I have serious doubts about Halo: Infinite making XSX launch, Spencer's hour long interview with IGN that was released yesterday basically alluded to the fact that software delays are more likely than hardware delays for the XSX and that even if some of the planned software wasn't ready yet, they'd still launch the console.

To me, that was his way of saying "Even if Halo isn't ready, the console will still launch". Regardless it's a great interview and well worth watching.
And they can , releases their games on game pass, I’ll be playing my Xbox one games in 4K 120 frames, I’ll be fine with that in these times.

THEAP99

Banned
I knew this was coming but kept trying to convince myself it wasn't. But this is life, this is real. I am very disappointed and pretty gutted as this was one thing I was looking forward to for so long. Especially looking forward to being able to play this in quarantine. That being said, I get it. They don't want a sloppy launch for the biggest game they have. Totally understand. I just hope the delay isn't too long man. They definitely want to get this game out as soon as possible so as soon as the green light is given, you can bet it's releasing 3 weeks later. I also know expect the game to be extra polished upon release. Some of the footage from last Septemeber did show they have had a lot of work to be done. I think that they will show the next trailer (what the accidentally released screenshots are from) when the new release date is certain. Fingers crossed it's sometime in June. This also makes me wonder about Ghost of Tsushima. I am sure they will cross that bridge when they get it. So lord, please let things get close to normal asap. Leaders need to do their thing. Realistically speaking based on all the information we have now, when do you guys think this game will release? IMO if they're still shooting for ps5 this year, they have to get it out when the time is right. But I don't even know anymore. 2020 is such a travesty. Bless up

edit: those new screenshots look really good but imo there's way way too much chromatic aberration and film grain. To the point where I see tons of analysis. Perhaps it is just a compressed screenshot type of thing ?

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Well, on the bright side, this probably means that we’ll be notified of launch right when it’s about to drop.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Well, on the bright side, this probably means that we’ll be notified of launch right when it’s about to drop.
Zero chance. They’ll announce a date months out so they can launch their marketing. This thing is months and months away and we’ll be told far in advance before it launches (I’m guessing at least 6 weeks, maybe 8).

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...
Sucks for those who could be playing this game during these hard quarantine times. Gaming definitely helps, as does any kind of distraction, and this was a highly anticipated game. The fact that the game is done feels even worse. We are at an age when digital goods can be distributed digitally, hiccups or not. What if retail doesn't recover this year? What if people's purchasing power keeps weakening as more jobs are lost and economy goes into deeper shambles (it will). Many fans will have their lives affected as time goes by (getting sick/losing jobs/losing loved ones/even dying) and won't be able to enjoy it as much anymore, if at all.

Because they don't even announce a new tentative date it really feels like it's being cynically held back to maximize its worth for the company and launch with PS5 (probably cross-gen with PS4). I hope I'm wrong. I'm not against companies maximizing their profits, as that's literally their job, what sucks is the expectation management and change of plans mid-flight and not being totally clear about the reasonings imo.

newtonfb

Sony is not going to lose a ton of cash on digital only release....sad but true. The game is definitely done by now so don't say they couldn't get it done because of the pandemic. Sony wants to market the hell out of this game and sell as many as possible.

GymWolf

I'm thinking Sony is too afraid of losing disc sales to people in other countries who rely on discs or have shittier internet/bandwidth. They don't want those people pissed and watching a YT longplay video and then saying.... "Nahh.... I don't need to get it anymore".

Although to counter that argument, as you said digital sales should shoot up even more, so profit wise they'd scoop up the full $60.

Personally, I think the corona issue is giving them another reason to delay this game for PS5 launch so it has a key game to promote. Probably will have PS5 bundles with the game included on day one.
more like the full 70$. (in europe all dd games cost 70 euros , i think it's the same in usa with 70 dollars right?)

Last edited:

Three

We need a dislike button for this. "Triggered" isn't appropriate 😒

Also.

Why the FUCK cant they release digitally? Hollywood adapted. With tons of digital releases. Why cant the games industry adapt.
Um Holywood did the same. Black Widow was delayed indefinitely. In what way did they adapt?

Last edited:

Jacknapes

It's a shame, but i understand why. Lot of people home working as such, also releasing this digitally on paper sounds a good idea. But, the infrastructure as it is today couldn't handle 100gb+ downloads coming in on the thousands..

It's a shame, but i understand why. Lot of people home working as such, also releasing this digitally on paper sounds a good idea. But, the infrastructure as it is today couldn't handle 100gb+ downloads coming in on the thousands..

Why not?

Steam could handle it. So could the Epic store or Origin.

I don't care too much for this game, I just think this is a missed opportunity. They want to delay it because they feel physical sales would suffer, and they would, but everyone who wants this game could still get it digitally. And the fact that they are stuck in their homes for nobody knows how long means that a video game is a damn near perfect way to help pass the time and keep people occupied and not freaking out.

Is ordering a physical copy online via amazon not possible?

I hope that developers don't shy away from releasing their games at this time. Embrace this challenge and be rewarded for it.

Jacknapes

Why not?

Steam could handle it. So could the Epic store or Origin.

I don't care too much for this game, I just think this is a missed opportunity. They want to delay it because they feel physical sales would suffer, and they would, but everyone who wants this game could still get it digitally. And the fact that they are stuck in their homes for nobody knows how long means that a video game is a damn near perfect way to help pass the time and keep people occupied and not freaking out.

Is ordering a physical copy online via amazon not possible?

I hope that developers don't shy away from releasing their games at this time. Embrace this challenge and be rewarded for it.

I'm only guessing, but seeing how PSN has been slowed down and other services like Netflix have also been slowed to accommodate home workers, i think it could be a strain on the network.

It's certainly a missed opportunity that's for sure.

Top Bottom