• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us has sold 7 million copies (prior to PS4 Remastered ed.)

Congrats..

I hope it hits 10 milly!

Good that the 30fps option is there as well...besides MP, I'm sure my wife would want to play @ 30. like the slower pace on hard mode.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
nooooo. i don't want the game to become a milked franchise that's handed off to different devs.

For a single entry this is Sony's biggest game after GT with the possible exception of one of the Crash Bandicoot titles.

It would be a really hard pill for a business to swallow to not sequel this.

Lemmy

Banned
He weaseled out of quotes of his I highlighted simply because I omitted irrelevant speech, hand waving everything because, according to him, said omissions made it obvious I was angry. So, I am not his biggest fan and am aware of his tendency to shirk legitimate criticism. And still, the idea that I would be a dick to someone, especially because they are biased - something we all are, is a bit ridiculous to be perfectly honest.

If that was actually the only reason Gies is regarded as he is, then you'd probably be right.

GlamFM

Banned
But the PS3 is more popular than the 360. And the Wii didn't deliver HD gaming, so.....I'm not sure what that poster was thinking.

360 vs. PS3 is at least debatable. What the Wii not being HD has to with it remains your secret I guess.

This is also not the thread for this shit.

Melchiah

Only Gran Turismo and Crash Bandicoot have sold better as Sony exclusives. It will likely hit 9 million or even 10 million if it really picks up on the PS4. I really hope the Naughty Dog name gets more and more popular where their name sells games by itself.

Completely irrelevant, but I don't get why Sony hasn't bought Crash yet from Activision's graveyard.

And SingStar, if you count the franchise sales as a whole. It hit 20 million in 2009.
Developed by SCEE London Studios and first launched in 2004, SingStar is the platform holder’s most successful social franchise.

The series is most popular in Europe, with PAL sales topping 16 million units.

The same goes for God of War series.
Rs7uomSl.jpg

I-hate-u

Mighty impressive. Naughty Dog without a doubt is a crown jewel for Sony. Their last 4 games have been huge sales hit.

Btw, have we gotten any GOW:A numbers?

This is why Sony should keep releasing sequels to some of their tired old franchises like God of War, Infamous and Killzone, that routinely sell 2-3 million.

New i.p's don't sell...

Completely irrelevant, but I don't get why Sony hasn't bought Crash yet from Activision's graveyard.

Well, it's time to throw the truck filled with cash. I certainly have 0 interest in buying it if Activision makes it.

Maybe Activision plan on bringing it back like they did with Spyro? In actuality, they probably want a shit load of money for it; more than it's realistically worth. I'd say the IP as it stands today is practically valueless, but they're probably valuing it based on its historic value to Sony, rather than its current irrelevance.

I´d love for the sequel to cover the time period between the prologue (outbreak) and the actual game.

Nah, I don't think we need to know about the outbreak itself. That's what I loved so much about the storytelling in TLoU; a lot was left up to the player to fill in the blanks. I like the idea that TLoU was designed to set up Ellie as a protagonist, so I'd gladly see the next game take place 3-4 years down the line and with Ellie as the lead.

Lemmy

Banned
This is why Sony should keep releasing sequels to some of their tired old franchises like God of War, Infamous and Killzone, that routinely sell 2-3 million.

New i.p's don't sell...

Look at how many new IPs Sony have released in recent years that sold like ass though. Last of Us probably sold more than every other new IP they came up with after Uncharted + Infamous combined. It is very much the exception to the rule.

Look at how many new IPs Sony have released in recent years that sold like ass though. Last of Us probably sold more than every other new IP they came up with after Uncharted + Infamous combined. It is very much the exception to the rule.

Not to mention new IPs are cyclical. It's utter madness to suddenly release nothing but new IPs in a calendar year, you're basically putting all your studios on the chopping block if they fail.

Established IPs are a buffer. It's also a foundation to build up the studios so that they can actually do a new IP justice. I'd rather the 120-strong Sucker Punch with the experience of Second Son make the new IP as opposed to the 80 person team that only shipped inFamous 1/2.

What big new i.p's are we talking about? Beyond?

I just think it's a crime if they are getting all that talent at SSM to make another GOW for example. You can't tell me that franchise isn't tired.

Imagine a new 3rd person exclusive PS4 action game from them. Would be infinitely more exciting but we'll probably never see that any time soon. Likewise if another rumoured Killzone is in the works.

lifesanrpg

Neo Member
Glad to see a Sony first-party title sell so well. I feel like Sony has some of the best exclusives, but they don't necessarily sell as many copies as they should.

What big new i.p's are we talking about? Beyond?

I just think it's a crime if they are getting all that talent at SSM to make another GOW for example. You can't tell me that franchise isn't tired.

Imagine a new 3rd person exclusive PS4 action game from them. Would be infinitely more exciting but we'll probably never see that any time soon. Likewise if another rumoured Killzone is in the works.

SSM's new IP failed to meet whatever standards Sony had.

MM is working on new IP, GG is working on new IP.

Also, if a 50+ person studio (Cambridge) is the one to inherit an established IP (Killzone) and is able to grow into a bigger team because of that, what's wrong with that?

I know it's not the most cool thing in the world to being forced to work on another company's IP, but I don't think it's all that bad contextually. If small devs like Cambridge and Bend can become full-fledged AAA-studios off the back of established IPs, I'd rather that than them forever working on games that can never meet their true potential because of limited resources.

Freeman

Banned
LTD sales of TLoU will be crazy, I don't think anyone could expect it to be so sucessfull.

I hope the 30fps option doesn't mean they didn't achieve 60fps most of the time.

Consoles will need a gsync like solution if they are going the route of unlocked framerates.

SSM's new IP failed to meet whatever standards Sony had.

MM is working on new IP, GG is working on new IP.

Also, if a 50+ person studio (Cambridge) is the one to inherit an established IP (Killzone) and is able to grow into a bigger team because of that, what's wrong with that?

I know it's not the most cool thing in the world to being forced to work on another company's IP, but I don't think it's all that bad contextually. If small devs like Cambridge and Bend can become full-fledged AAA-studios off the back of established IPs, I'd rather that than them forever working on games that can never meet their true potential because of limited resources.

Ok and we really need to wait and see with Santa Monica and what they are working on, but right now it heavily suggests a God of War sequel.

Just imagine the hype on here and excitement if it was revealed they were working on an open-world action game set in ancient times or something. The trailer could be 'from the makers of God of War....'.

Let's not forget SSM used to be the jewel in Sony's WWS crown a few years ago. Now is the perfect time for them to release something new entirely on the new platform. TLOU is proof that big new exclusive i.p's from talented devs can sell a shitload.

Granted, TLOU is a special case as it will probably sell 10 million in total, but Killzone and the last GOW did 2-3 million. That is not so well-received commercially that you have to lock down the devs to more tired sequels. No fucking way in fact, that's a crime!

DC1

So wait, what does "cross-buy add on" means? Does it mean if I buy PS4 digital version I get all PS3 DLC for free? I have bunch of friends who don't have a PS4 and haven't bought Left Behind yet. They would be pretty psyched if this is true.
It would apply to any content purchase outside of dlc.
Anything acquire on the PS3 would be available on the PS4.

My initial guestimation.

Gears should have the higher number but that is because it was not until UC2 that UC really take off unlike Gears which was big from the first one.
Plus Gears had 4 games , UC had 4 also but the handheld one is not going sell any where near the console versions .

Ok and we really need to wait and see with Santa Monica and what they are working on, but right now it heavily suggests a God of War sequel.

Just imagine the hype on here and excitement if it was revealed they were working on an open-world action game set in ancient times or something. The trailer could be 'from the makers of God of War....'.

Let's not forget SSM used to be the jewel in Sony's WWS crown a few years ago. Now is the perfect time for them to release something new entirely on the new platform. TLOU is proof that big new exclusive i.p's from talented devs can sell a shitload.

Granted, TLOU is a special case as it will probably sell 10 million in total, but Killzone and the last GOW did 2-3 million. That is not so well-received commercially that you have to lock down the devs to more tired sequels. No fucking way in fact, that's a crime!

I understand what you're saying, but Naughty Dog are the exception, not the rule. Sony gave it a hell of a lot of backing and some great marketing, and zombie/survival games are very hot right now so it was always going to find an audience. Santa Monica Studios had a chance to make a new IP, but as I'm sure you know it was cancelled, and its creator left SMS shortly after. In such a circumstance it's understandable that God of War IV will be their next project rather than green lighting another new IP, even though fans of the series are pretty tired of it at this point. If the next game is a massive departure than I'm all for it, but if it's just more of the same starring fucking Kratos again then I'll roll my eyes so hard they'll pop out of their sockets.

ethomaz

Banned
Gears Judgement sold about 3 million.

This argument shouldn't be happening without better evidence anyway. There's too many unknowns and people are just arguing with whichever works for them.
My point was both franchises have similar sales and the Polygon guy is completely wrong about Uncharted on fire comment lol

BTW I guess Uncharted 3 is the best selling game across Gears and Uncharted... the first Uncharted sold around 4-5 million (I saw in a Sony PR I'm trying to find) and Gold Abysis sold less than Judgement.

This open room to Uncharted 3 had sold 7 million.

I think Uncharted 4 will be ND's finale with the series. They'll probably end Drake, Elena & Sully's story altogether, and Sony will probably have to pass it on to another studio if they want another (which they obviously will). If Bend's new IP isn't a big success I guess they're the most likely candidates, but I don't know how Sony is at forcing internal studios onto projects. I believe they're supposed to be pretty lenient with letting studios choose their work, but then they won't let a vital IP like Uncharted go to waste either, so someone will need to handle it.

7 million copies on PS3 is really impressive, especially for a game of this genre. Hard to compare this to any of the Halo games that are part of the much more popular first-person shooter genre.

Majmun

Great news. I want my sequel(s)

The TLOU universe has so much potential. And I trust Naughty Dog to deliver another masterpiece.

Top Bottom