• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Pt II |OT| Oh Ellie...I think they should be terrified of you

Ogbert

It´s not enough to state that you don´t enjoy the story. You really had to call everyone who enjoys it a barely functioning cretin? Come on my dude... You can do better :)

Apologies. I didn't mean enjoying it. I love a bit of trash.

I meant more thinking that this is a genuine work of narrative art. It's a revenge story about a pair of psychopathic teenagers. And the idea that this reveals some hidden truth about the feminine experience is nonsense.

Anyway, point taken.

Looks fucking incredible though. For the visuals alone Naughty Dog deserve healthy praise.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I'm in Seattle, and the platforming and puzzling tasks here really remind me of Uncharted. Heck, even the graphics remind me of Uncharted, particularly A Thief's End and Lost Legacy.

scalman

First hrs i was like what??!!! And then i was like: i will find and i will kill every single one of them...and its fine. thats how you do it. Still didint used any weapons upgrades, waiting for that bow...and weapons are just weapons. Lots exploring for like first 4-6 hrs at least

Last edited:

Rikkori

So by the same token camp males should never star in a game they should just replace with a women?

Only 2 of the last 7 games have had female main characters... yet it's a problem?

Sure forced inclusivity where it doesn't make sense is bad but only just as bad as those that see it everywhere.

Not sure I follow what you're saying. I'm simply making an observation about how Ellie is not exhibiting typical female mannerisms or attitude in any sense other than her outward appearance and even then she looks very boyish. I consider it bad because she is a 'she' only because having a male main character is so taboo for them and in the process they forget that if you're gonna have a female MC then make sure it's also female in typical ways. So my issue isn't it shouldn't be a she, but that 'she' isn't 'she' enough and instead acts more like a 'he'. So if you want inclusivity then what's the point in having what amounts to a female-presenting male character? In effect you're simply erasing the feminine. Doesn't seem very feminist to me.

But maybe Druckmann is just trying to be subversive again. :)

Hostile_18

Banned
Not sure I follow what you're saying. I'm simply making an observation about how Ellie is not exhibiting typical female mannerisms or attitude in any sense other than her outward appearance and even then she looks very boyish. I consider it bad because she is a 'she' only because having a male main character is so taboo for them and in the process they forget that if you're gonna have a female MC then make sure it's also female in typical ways. So my issue isn't it shouldn't be a she, but that 'she' isn't 'she' enough and instead acts more like a 'he'. So if you want inclusivity then what's the point in having what amounts to a female-presenting male character? In effect you're simply erasing the feminine. Doesn't seem very feminist to me.

I get you point but I wouldn't say 2 out of 7 games starring males makes playing a Male main character taboo though. I guess it's all subjective based on experience though. When the world has gone to hell perhaps their isn't so much time for classic gender divides.. just survivors and the dead 😉

Geki-D

Banned
Just played for first 3 hours. Man, the gameplay is so tight, playing with this gameplay in MP would be awesome. It really just lacks a slide to crouch, you can drive to prone but sprinting to a crouch just kind of does a quick duck. They should add in a slide for MP. Also I hope MP is more than just team vs. team matches, I wouldn't mind a battle royale with this gameplay in this world. I really just want to roam around and loot in the snow.

Otherwise, so the only things I had spoiled for me happen within the first 3 hours and to my understanding that one plot point was like the biggest in the leak. lol no wonder the devs were so sure about the leaks being pretty irrelevant :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And damn, that survival in the cable car room on survivor is a challenge. So many damn runners.

Last edited:

There is no "typical" she in a post apocalyptic world. The world hasn't been in a normal state for like 35 years. People are just trying to survive. Ellie is perfectly believable as a child growing up in brutal conditions.

Been playing since midnight, the game is incredible. It definitely doesn't have a locked 30 fps, I notice dips pretty frequently but that aren't game breaking by any measure. It would greatly benefit from 60fps. The game is stunning though. The lighting is fantastic and facial animations are some of the best I've ever seen, and I'm one to criticize shit when I see it. Fantastic, just so tense. Tension is the name of the game.

JimiNutz

Banned
Just played for first 3 hours. Man, the gameplay is so tight, playing with this gameplay in MP would be awesome. It really just lacks a slide to crouch, you can drive to prone but sprinting to a crouch just kind of does a quick duck. They should add in a slide for MP. Also I hope MP is more than just team vs. team matches, I wouldn't mind a battle royale with this gameplay in this world. I really just want to roam around and loot in the snow.

Otherwise, so the only things I had spoiled for me happen within the first 3 hours and to my understanding that one plot point was like the biggest in the leak. lol no wonder the devs were so sure about the leaks being pretty irrelevant :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And damn, that survival in the cable car room on survivor is a challenge. So many damn runners.

Agreed, I'm hungry for some MP with this gameplay and slide would be a welcome addition.
Hopefully the wait for Factions, or whatever they call the MP for this game, is not too long of a wait.

Last edited:

shubik

I got to the part where the dogs chase you (the demo) and holy fucking shit!!! This is tense! You got to be quick, move all the time, keep your inventory in check and with the sound and visuals you are immersed as hell.

Whoever said this still feels like a PS3 game should definitely replay the first part and then pick this back

shubik

Agreed, I'm hungry for some MP with this gameplay and slide would be a welcome addition.
Hopefully the wait for Factions, or whatever they call the MP for this game, is not too long of a wait.

I´m 100% sure the Fractions MP will be ready at launch as a free to play title for the PS5 (if we are lucky maybe a little bit earlyer)

Mochilador

unknown.png
SInce my copy is not arriving today, I'm gonna play Skyrim.
And do you know what's wrong with Skyrim these days? Everyone is obsessed with death.

Hostile_18

Banned
The Ellie/Dina banter leaves a lot to be desired. Characters who are virtually identical Strong Independent Lesbian Women don't have much to talk about.

I did notice the bond didn't seem as strong as other games. If I'm understanding things right Dina only dumped her ex a week ago and now shes willing to travel across the country with Ellie on a very risky mission.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Thats my problem with the xbox one x, they never brought out an ip that took full advantage of the hardware
Best graphics of the gen go to the weakest console. Fucking insane.

I have both an Xbox One X and a PS4 Pro, and I've got to admit that RDR2 on Xbox One X surpasses TLoU2 from a technical aspect in certain regards; it runs at a higher native resolution and features a greater draw distance.

However, where TLoU2 beats it is in art direction; I prefer its color palette, its use of motion blur, as well as its motion-captured facial and bodily animations.

Also, despite running at a lower resolution, its horse models looks better to me, and it has much more exciting gameplay and more compelling storytelling.

What do you guys think?

XTBedJV.jpg

How did you get an early copy? Are you a reviewer? Also, how many hours did it take you to earn the platinum trophy?

Yeap for reviews. My first playthrough, doing as much as I can on Hard with resources on high (collectibles,updates etc) was around 35 hours. For the second playthrough with New Game+ to finish all the rest of the updates it took me around 10 hours and 5 more with chapter select for the final collectibles so overall around 55 hours.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

It's the gameplay. How can there be an entire legion of video journalists with barely any (save Skill Up) actually talking about the fundamental mechanics and how tired they are. It still feels like a PS3 era game.
I don't get this complaint and I've heard it a few times now. In what way are the controls so antiquated and last gen? They accomplish what the game requires them to do perfectly. It's not like they're held back by the restrictions of technology the PS3 had to abide by. They're the same simply because they achieve their goals. If the game came out next gen or the gen after with these controls they'd be perfect.

Keihart

BTW, did some else noticed Gustavo Santaolalla playing the banjo in Jacksonville?

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
The Ellie/Dina banter leaves a lot to be desired. Characters who are virtually identical Strong Independent Lesbian Women don't have much to talk about.

1yfSVP4.jpg

Looking forward to seeing impressing though my dad is jumping into this game, loved the first one. I will probably play it when hes done.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't get this complaint and I've heard it a few times now. In what way are the controls so antiquated and last gen? They accomplish what the game requires them to do perfectly. It's not like they're held back by the restrictions of technology the PS3 had to abide by. They're the same simply because they achieve their goals. If the game came out next gen or the gen after with these controls they'd be perfect.

I don't get the complaint either.
Maybe it's because I recently played TLOU Remastered but the controls feel fine for me and a significant upgrade on the first game.

The ability to go prone, shoot from prone, quick swap weapons, the permanent shiv (in the sense that you always have a knife), the ability to jump, swing etc.

There are so many improvements and it all feels really smooth and fluid as well.

My gf is a good example. She played TLOU over 6 years ago and it was one of the first games that she'd ever played. Since then we've played a LOT of games together over the years and when I suggested that we replay TLOU Remastered again before the new game she was 100% on board but a few hours in she turned to me and said "the game feels old and the controls don't feel fluid". She's playing through TLOU2 with me and she thinks the controls are significantly better this time.

If you were able to play and enjoy the first game then this game will feel buttery smooth in comparison.

Woggleman

So far I am very impressed. The gameplay is an improvement over the first one but the DNA is not changed and that to me is a good thing. I loved the first one so all I wanted was some refinement. I am really looking forward to playing the rest. I just googled the combo to the safe, I know that is cheating but whatever.

Iceternal

Game is so much rollercoaster of feelings,you angry you sad you cry you pissed you emotional all time...and then it goes back again and then changes one more time... very deep adventure, for open minded people who accepts all things in life not just tunel vission .
I’m open minded but still don’t like the game. Stop saying you’re close minded if you don’t like it.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any infected in this and any decent gameplay scenarios involving them??

Everything I've read has only been about the human enemies and it sounds like the whole zombie apocalypse thing has been forgotten about.

PanzerAzel

I don't get the complaint either.
Maybe it's because I recently played TLOU Remastered but the controls feel fine for me and a significant upgrade on the first game.

The ability to go prone, shoot from prone, quick swap weapons, the permanent shiv (in the sense that you always have a knife), the ability to jump, swing etc.

There are so many improvements and it all feels really smooth and fluid as well.

My gf is a good example. She played TLOU over 6 years ago and it was one of the first games that she'd ever played. Since then we've played a LOT of games together over the years and when I suggested that we replay TLOU Remastered again before the new game she was 100% on board but a few hours in she turned to me and said "the game feels old and the controls don't feel fluid". She's playing through TLOU2 with me and she thinks the controls are significantly better this time.

If you were able to play and enjoy the first game then this game will feel buttery smooth in comparison.
What I find even more impressive and remarkable about the controls is that with each new entry from ND, they further push the limits of presentation in their animations, and they always manage to make the gameplay flow perfectly with it. I'm continually impressed by how seamless and effortless they make it seem. I never feel at any moment that I'm handicapped by animation as I do, in say, a game like RDR 2. Which is one I can somewhat accommodate in this respect because it's conceding player agency to animation to grant a feeling of immersion and realism. Love it or hate it, I can at least understand the developer's intent in the type of experience they are attempting to convey and what priorities they've decided upon.

But here I see no such concession. The game flows exactly how I want it to and I'm never left for want of agency, but the presentation also never wavers. That's an immense accomplishment by ND, IMO, and one that's hard to notice because it's so well done. I find their games a joy to play every single moment I'm engaged, and there's no sacrifice I see, or at least one really worthy of complaint. I agree completely, the game isn't a revolution, but it doesn't need to be and I find it a strange issue brought up by Skillup's review. He seems to have wanted a new game entirely. This is a sequel, people expect the known, and there are iterative improvements that afford more depth to the playing field. Being able to go prone and cap off an enemy with a silencer? Never unsatisfying. A quick swap is a godsend, though I'm not using it much as I have auto-swap enabled. And yeah, this game feels buttery smooth. It's hard for me to believe this is only 30 fps, at times it feels higher.

Btw, upgrade question:
Do you know where to find the double holster for the sidearms?
I have one for the long guns, can't seem to find the other one though.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Also, I can barely tell Ellie and Dina’s voices apart. Same Strong Independent Lesbian vocal fry. And since their personalities are hardly distinct, often I have no idea which one of them is saying a line of dialogue.
Buddy I agree but you gotta turn on ”names” in subtitles

Top Bottom