• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If the material created by a third party is authorized to be released before the game actual release date than that's fine but at this point lots of people will take a marketing gameplay video over anything because matter of fact we haven't got anything regarding the remastered but a short teaser and a trailer mixing cutscenes and very little gameplay, if you factor that developers of the ND team have been hyping the game like crazy one wonders where is the proof to back that up? To each their own I guess
Why does it need to be pre-release?

Don't buy games before you're convinced you want the game. Number one rule. That way you can not be disappointed.

Also I disagree that they have been hyping the game like crazy. If programmers talking about hitting 60 FPS is hyping the game like crazy, I wonder why Activision and Take Two spend 100 million dollars in marketing.

I wish there was a step up program for this game. It would be pointless for me to sell my PS3 copy to buy this game if I could just use my PS3 disc to launch the PS4 version.

hawk2025

This thread is a treadmill of the same thing over and over and over again:

- I wish there was an upgrade program, I bought the game and a season pass
- I wish there was footage, I'm super concerned
- are we sure it's 60fps?

And 'round and 'round we go.

If the material created by a third party is authorized to be released before the game actual release date than that's fine but at this point lots of people will take a marketing gameplay video over anything because matter of fact we haven't got anything regarding the remastered but a short teaser and a trailer mixing cutscenes and very little gameplay, if you factor that developers of the ND team have been hyping the game like crazy one wonders where is the proof to back that up? To each their own I guess

I feel like Sony is trying to take a page from Rockstar this gen. Rockstar is always very slow to release info, images, vids, gameplay, etc. This has always helped to build the hype for their games IMO.

Whether or not this will work for Sony remains to be seen but we will find out soon enough. The Order is another example of a game everybody is talking about because they haven't shown much of it. People may be complaining about it but they are still talking about it.

Look at a game like Sunset Overdrive. I haven't seen a single thread about that game that compares to the many threads about The Order. Whether the talk is good or bad, people are talking about it.

I personally have faith in them as Sony seems to be the current masters of the single player experience. That is what has shifted me from an xbox user to a playstation user mostly.

Andrew.

Banned

g1oQ2Bt.gif

You forgot

"This will be my first time playing this game coz reasons"

"You're in for a treat"

I feel like Sony is trying to take a page from Rockstar this gen. Rockstar is always very slow to release info, images, vids, gameplay, etc. This has always helped to build the hype for their games IMO.

Whether or not this will work for Sony remains to be seen but we will find out soon enough. The Order is another example of a game everybody is talking about because they haven't shown much of it. People may be complaining about it but they are still talking about it.

Look at a game like Sunset Overdrive. I haven't seen a single thread about that game that compares to the many threads about The Order. Whether the talk is good or bad, people are talking about it.

I personally have faith in them as Sony seems to be the current masters of the single player experience. That is what has shifted me from an xbox user to a playstation user mostly.

Rockstar puts out footage when they are ready to show it. It isn't to build hype. The hype is already establish because....it's the next game from Rockstar. Same with Naughty Dog. They have proven themselves through multiple games, the hype is already there.

Poetazer

Neo Member

Ha! Too true, such is the treadmill of no information. I think this is all because this is a Sony project, their bill, their ask, their push. It always slows down when a developer has to run everything by a removed publisher, more so in this case as ND have a tiny team on this, and no real incentive to shout about it.

I'm confident because of this relationship, all three of the above will be ironed out next week when marketing ramps up. Upgrade programme will be a no because it is a new audience on ps4, the whole reason Sony requested it. Footage will start coming, though the more we pore over screens in threads like this the more intimidated they'll be to share and have it misunderstood. And we know concretely that it's locked at 60fps, single and multiplayer, people are just coming in fresh unaware of that..

Rockstar puts out footage when they are ready to show it. It isn't to build hype. The hype is already establish because....it's the next game from Rockstar. Same with Naughty Dog. They have proven themselves through multiple games, the hype is already there.

I get what you are saying. I am always hyped for Rockstar games and Naughty Dog has reached that level for me now too.

I just think there is something to the thirst for footage and info that keeps people talking about things and if done right can help elevate the hype.

And saying they release the footage when they are ready to isn't to build hype is kind of a cop out. Releasing things slowly is absolutely a marketing technique.

benny_a

Upgrade programme will be a no because it is a new audience on ps4, the whole reason Sony requested it.
Don't believe that spin. This port started development in June 2013, quite a few months before the very first PS4 was sold and before they even knew what the purchase population break down would be.

This port was going to get made even if 100% of PS4 owners were previously PS3 owners.

The writing's on the wall with this one... if the remaster was truly a huge upgrade of course there'd be plenty of footage, and even direct comparisons from ND themselves.

I hope no one has their hopes set too high. It's the PS3 version running at double the FPS and res

Pretty much.

If there was a vast visual upgrade they would've shown something by now. Anything.

But I'm happy for people with PS4's who haven't played it

Bandit1

So Sony sent me an e-mail last night that was titled something like - "Get a first look at The Last of Us Remastered" I clicked on it all excited and loaded up the video and it was the reveal trailer from months ago...

Sony y u do dis?

ND is to a point were I expect the best out of them, just like Rockstar. I know that I'm going to get a very high quality game, when they're making it. After seeing the uncharted 4 teaser, I don't need to see any TLoU remaster footage. It's just a given that it will look/play amazing just like the PS3 version. I really want to spend a lot of time with MP again, can't fucking wait.

Bobby_Sullivan

Neo Member
Ok, I'm almost at the point of clicking ' Buy Now '.

I'm seriously considering buying a PS4. However, the only game I currently want on it is TLOU:R

I have a decent PC so when games come out cross-platform I'm going to get them on Steam.

I've heard rumors that PS4 will support streaming of older PS2 and PS3 titles via PSN. Does anyone have any information about that? If this is true I think I might go for it...

Pretty much.

If there was a vast visual upgrade they would've shown something by now. Anything.

But I'm happy for people with PS4's who haven't played it

Not really. For the sixteen millionth time, ND have stressed that it is difficult to show this game widely around the media that demonstrates it in its best light. I know you remember the internet and how it usually reacts when it sees a low res, compressed video of a game that's supposed to look good, so what do you suggest they do to reach the masses? They can't just post a link to an upload site, it's a waste of effort for so few viewers, and there's no point showing TV adverts until it's closer to release. The remaster is getting plenty of buzz, without showing anything, from the core fans who already know it's coming, by tweeting about 1090/60 being transformative. I don't think they need to do anything else.

You only have to look at the Order and Driveclub threads to understand why they are probably reluctant to throw the enthusiasts/trolls a bone. We get the previews we deserve - nothing, and I'm glad because I'm happy with surprises. If it bothers you that you haven't seen anything yet, why don't you wait until August 8th before making your decision?

benny_a

Thank you! :)

Well, there goes $430....
The ultimate plan for PS Now is that it will be on everything.

Given that it's Sony that will take some time and they will first roll it out exclusively to their Xperia Tablets and Bravia TVs but at some point you don't even need to own a Sony product to play PlayStation games.

So depending on how long you can wait, you might not need to buy anything at this point.

Bobby_Sullivan

Neo Member
The ultimate plan for PS Now is that it will be on everything.

Given that it's Sony that will take some time and they will first roll it out exclusively to their Xperia Tablets and Bravia TVs but at some point you don't even need to own a Sony product to play PlayStation games.

So depending on how long you can wait, you might not need to buy anything at this point.

Hmm, I've been considering that fact because they did say "more devices soon" or soemthing to that effect.

I have a really hard time believing that one day they'll allow streaming of Playstation games to PC...that would be amazing...

benny_a

Hmm, I've been considering that fact because they did say "more devices soon" or soemthing to that effect.

I have a really hard time believing that one day they'll allow streaming of Playstation games to PC...that would be amazing...
I think PC will be the last place it will be rolled out to. Unless you count an Android emulator running on a PC.

Bobby_Sullivan

Neo Member
I think PC will be the last place it will be rolled out to. Unless you count an Android emulator running on a PC.

In that case, I doubt streaming to an android emulator on PC would render the same fidelity and performance consistency as playing the game on PS4.

Man...I don't know lol

hawk2025

In that case, I doubt streaming to an android emulator on PC would render the same fidelity and performance consistency as playing the game on PS4.

Man...I don't know lol

Just wait a bit :)

Or look at it this way, is there anything else you want to play? Destiny, Driveclub, something?

The should've used a direct screenshot like i did here

iyO1gVDO61Aut.png

Hopefully ND releases a comparison video because there are plenty of differences in the ps4 version apart from the boosted resolution and framerate.

Doesn't look that different to me, GTAV looks like a big jump compared to TLOU. Minor jump in graphics and 60fps, should drop the price by 10 again just for hyping it up on twitter, had everyone thinking tarzan and we got jane.

SSReborn

Doesn't look that different to me, GTAV looks like a big jump compared to TLOU. Minor jump in graphics and 60fps, should drop the price by 10 again just for hyping it up on twitter, had everyone thinking tarzan and we got jane.

Technically the cutscenes won't look to different I assume because they will both be pre-rendered. Most of the differences will be during the in game moments not that I believe that the difference is gonna be too huge either way.

Kyoufu

Is this a joke?

Gameplay will see the majority of the improvement, not the pre-rendered cutscenes.

I bet if Rockstar showed a close up of Trevor's scraggly ass face from last gen to this as a comparison it wouldn't look much better either. In fact, As great as everything in that GTA V trailer looked, I thought the character models were the least improved thing.

Is this a joke?

Gameplay will see the majority of the improvement, not the pre-rendered cutscenes.

this is true.

I don't know why Naughty Dog is still hiding the game though. They need to release at least one show case video that shows the improvements they have made. Similar to the GTAV Remaster or Tomb Raider Definitive edition

hawk2025

No...there is nothing else at this point on 'PS4'.

I do have interest in playing some PS2 and PS3 exclusives...

I mean, it's your money.

Just remember why you are buying it before complaining about how "it's collecting dust" :p

And read up on the details of PS Now before committing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
this is true.

I don't know why Naughty Dog is still hiding the game though. They need to release at least one show case video that shows the improvements they have made. Similar to the GTAV Remaster or Tomb Raider Definitive edition

They're teasing something next week. I bet it'll be a big comparison video.

on the contrary, it's actually surprising to see ANY improvement on the cutscenes other than resolution/fps. one of the big selling points on remastering was that they were going to use the more detail character models from the pre-rendered cutscenes IN GAME. so any improvement at all to the those character models is actually above and beyond what was originally promised by the remaster

The should've used a direct screenshot like i did here

iyO1gVDO61Aut.png

Hopefully ND releases a comparison video because there are plenty of differences in the ps4 version apart from the boosted resolution and framerate.

Isn't that a screenshot from a cutscene?

Technically that would be 8 Ps3s vs Ps4 then, because NaughtyDog prerendered the cutscenes for the Ps3 version on 8 Ps3s iirc.

benny_a

Isn't that a screenshot from a cutscene?

Technically that would be 8 Ps3s vs Ps4 then, because NaughtyDog prerendered the cutscenes for the Ps3 version on 8 Ps3s iirc.

It's PS3 cutscene vs. later build PS3 cutscene. It makes all the discussion about it super hilarious.

Did the Sony pony guy get banned? lol
Will every improvement to the cutscene models be made to the gameplay models?
Or was the promise ND made that the in game models would be the same as the cutscene models pertain to the PS3 version of the game?

I would assume they want no difference in quality at all between cutscenes and gameplay, in order to provide a more seamless experience.

Top Bottom