• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

Fundamentally disagree with this.

Never have I thought that a game looked completely different from its console port when I played it on my PC.
That depends on your interpretation of 'completely different'. I would argue that even if the game received absolutely no upgrades from the PS3 version apart from running at 60fps, it would look completely different.

Well as someone who never notices framerate apart from when suffering from massive slow down, I sure will be interested to see if I can tell a difference with this 6ofps stuff after playing a lot of the MP.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
That depends on your interpretation of 'completely different'. I would argue that even if the game received absolutely no upgrades from the PS3 version apart from running at 60fps, it would look completely different.
For sure. It's different perspectives. I would argue that it wouldn't look completely different, as that would dilute the word "completely."

If the same game running at 30 and at 60 is "looking completely different", how could you possibly describe the difference between Tearaway and Call of Duty Modern Warfare.

iceatcs

You must be new here. Benny_a is far from a troll, he's the resident comedic relief poster. Half of his posts are meant as jokes or are extremely sarcastic. #dealwithit
Lol no way, all of everyone posts here never been sarcastic. Once you post there then you meant that. :p

You cannot fake here.

For sure. It's different perspectives. I would argue that it wouldn't look completely different, as that would dilute the word "completely."

If the same game running at 30 and at 60 is "looking completely different", how could you possibly describe the difference between Tearaway and Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
Indeed, my choice of words was exaggerated for effect, as I don't agree with Sid's suggestion that it looks 'pretty much the same' as the PS3 version, although it is understandable that someone would reach that conclusion with the footage they've released so far.

I like how you based your post on a single post and neglected all previous posts (in this thread or others) but whatever suits you..

That doesn't really work though, because you stated an explicit conclusion in that very post, namely:

"If that is all the difference between PS3 and PS4 was, then good night to advancements in graphics."

Unless your own posts in this thread or others directly contradict your own conclusion here, I'm not sure how the situations are analogous.

Well as someone who never notices framerate apart from when suffering from massive slow down, I sure will be interested to see if I can tell a difference with this 6ofps stuff after playing a lot of the MP.

I didn't think I could really tell until I played Mario Kart 8. I generally felt any fps was fine so long as it was stable (still generally do). After playing MK8 I noticed a huge difference when you go to 3-4 player and it drops the fps to 30, it's a dramatic difference. It was pretty much my eureka moment.

benny_a

That doesn't really work though, because you stated an explicit conclusion in that very post, namely:

"If that is all the difference between PS3 and PS4 was, then good night to advancements in graphics."

Unless your own posts in this thread or others directly contradict your own conclusion here, I'm not sure how the situations are analogous.
We can analyze my post, but for that we must quote it in full:

"I'm just having a go at the people that said this is a huge difference. If that is all the difference between PS3 and PS4 was, then good night to advancements in graphics. :p"

I'm having a go at the at the people that said this is a huge difference. <- this is me referencing previous posts and calling back to my post where I had "a go" at them.
If that is all the difference between PS3 and PS4 was, then good night to advancements in graphics. <- if previously mentioned people are right, then this would be bad for the future
:p <- tongue in cheek smilie

The last sentence of your post I don't understand.

goonergaz

Can we cut out the petty arguing, 'huge' is subjective anyway so in reality the person who wrote that word meant it in their context.

And as for people saying the difference is 'not big enough' they are also correct in their own usage of the subjective wording.

But either way can we hold fire for some 'proper' comparisons? And seriously, the gap between the Tomb Raiders to me was a very big jump so I'm expecting similar - until you play it you won't really appreciate the gap IMHO.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
we cannot possibly still be debating over that picture.... i know the thirst is real guys but let's wait til Sony drops some official screens/vids

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm awfully tempted to pick up a console + game bundle or (if said bundle doesn't hit Australia) a cheaper PS4 + an imported copy, but deep down I know I should wait until the system has more tantalising exclusives, by which point it'd likely be a little cheaper. Without looking too far ahead, I'd say the only other exclusives I'm interested in currently are Killzone: SF (despite its somewhat sour reception), Infamous: Second Son and kindasorta the not-too-far away The Order: 1866.

Should have hit the Dick Smith deal and regret your overpriced paperweight like me.

The-Last-of-Us-Remastered-5.jpg

Did we see this one?

lmbotiva

We all know Arne reads and posts on this thread so how about you let us know why haven't you guys released a gameplay video of the remastered version? If it looks as good as your devs are mentioning on twitter than I don't see a problem releasing a gameplay video for potential rebuyers and new comers as well

We all know Arne reads and posts on this thread so how about you let us know why haven't you guys released a gameplay video of the remastered version? If it looks as good as your devs are mentioning on twitter than I don't see a problem releasing a gameplay video for potential rebuyers and new comers as well

I think they've hinted that its not their decision and they've got to wait for Sony to give the thumbs up

Lemondish

Why release a gameplay video at all when the day it launches will have tons of people streaming it? I'm sure there will be a fuckload of features on dozens of gaming sites too. Do we really need to see it before it comes out? Wouldn't it be better to have places like DF do the comparison with a final retail copy rather than a PR trailer that everyone will just assume is a bullshot?

Poetazer

Neo Member
Why release a gameplay video at all when the day it launches will have tons of people streaming it? I'm sure there will be a fuckload of features on dozens of gaming sites too. Do we really need to see it before it comes out? Wouldn't it be better to have places like DF do the comparison with a final retail copy rather than a PR trailer that everyone will just assume is a bullshot?

New gameplay will be coming next week as Sony begins its push, I'm sure of it.

lmbotiva

Why release a gameplay video at all when the day it launches will have tons of people streaming it? I'm sure there will be a fuckload of features on dozens of gaming sites too. Do we really need to see it before it comes out? Wouldn't it be better to have plans like DF do the comparison with a final retail copy rather than a PR trailer that everyone will just assume is a bullshot?
Seriously? Maybe so people can make a purchase decision? The loyalty some of you guys have to developers is right down scary, so what's the point of game previews if we are gonna heve tons of people streaming it, previews in the TR:DE was what helped that game sell as many copies as it did, not many people streaming the game

benny_a

Seriously? Maybe so people can make a purchase decision? The loyalty some of you guys have to developers is right down scary, so what's the point of game previews if we are gonna heve tons of people streaming it, previews in the TR:DE was what helped that game sell as many copies as it did, not many people streaming the game
You do realize that you're currently arguing in favor of marketing created material over gameplay footage created by independent third parties. Maybe you should chill out on the accusatory tone on who holds loyalty.

Going by the quality of most streams, this will give an even worse impression of the enhancements than what Naughty Dog has shown so far. It could look indistinguishable from the PS3 version if the stream isn't up to the task. All they need to do is release a high quality, 1080p, 60fps video of gameplay in the same way they did for Uncharted 4. That sparked debate simply because we don't know much about it, whereas straight-up gameplay from a familiar game will have no such mystery. There's no reason for smoke and mirrors. Just show the game running, pick a scene or two that shows the improvements clearly, with the highest-quality video available for those who care. It's not too much to ask.

synce

The writing's on the wall with this one... if the remaster was truly a huge upgrade of course there'd be plenty of footage, and even direct comparisons from ND themselves.

I hope no one has their hopes set too high. It's the PS3 version running at double the FPS and res

The writing's on the wall with this one... if the remaster was truly a huge upgrade of course there'd be plenty of footage, and even direct comparisons from ND themselves.

I hope no one has their hopes set too high. It's the PS3 version running at double the FPS and res
Yep, close the thread. Let's go home

lmbotiva

You do realize that you're currently arguing in favor of marketing created material over gameplay footage created by independent third parties. Maybe you should chill out on the accusatory tone on who holds loyalty.
If the material created by a third party is authorized to be released before the game actual release date than that's fine but at this point lots of people will take a marketing gameplay video over anything because matter of fact we haven't got anything regarding the remastered but a short teaser and a trailer mixing cutscenes and very little gameplay, if you factor that developers of the ND team have been hyping the game like crazy one wonders where is the proof to back that up? To each their own I guess

SSReborn

It is most likely marketing that is in control of all of that. I would assume even little comparisons would need approval. As of late I haven't really liked Sony's marketing approach with any of their games not just this one.

Yep, close the thread. Let's go home

He brings up a good point. It's not that some of us aren't excited for it, its that we have realistic expectations. Think of all the good HD remasters we got on PS3. ICO/SoTC, MGS collection. Sharper, crisper textures with a good framerate. That's all I'm expecting and am also super pumped for it.

Top Bottom