• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

Wish I had the money to get this. I missed out on the ps3 version as well. Sadly, Im going to have to wait until this is much cheaper or I find a generous benefactor. :(

Shin-Ra

In the prerendered Joel driving comparison his hair and beard look improved and the background motion blur is more precise to not bleed over and affect his hair.

edit: Were the PS3 shots taken from the finished game?

I don't know if some of these points are correct or not so feel free to correct me, or add anything that i might have missed. I upscaled the 720p ps3 image to 1080p in photoshop for better comparison.
iyO1gVDO61Aut.png

in1CnuYXneNoA.png

Shin-Ra

Wishmaster92's prerendered driving scene comparisons are using a pre-E3 2012 shot for the PS3 version.

PS3 (pre-E3 2012, minus video compression)
14608417742_e5c33269e4_o.png

PS3 (final)
14606936154_4946399da4_o.png

PS4 (final? minus video compression)
14608417802_d7c682c618_o.jpg

Most of those improvements were made during PS3 development and the heavy video compression is probably responsible for the lack of grain.

There are some differences for PS4 though. I took another PS3 capture at a moment more closely matching the PS4 shot.

PS3 (final)
14607071984_124b03d9a4_o.png

PS4 (final? minus video compression)
14608417802_d7c682c618_o.jpg

Ellie's wrist and knuckle are shallower and arm angled differently
The colour temperature's warmer like the pre-E3 2012 version
Joel, Ellie and the wall outside are more in focus
Softer shadow between very close clothing and skin
Other bits of hair and clothing/body positioned slightly differently
Joel's ear is slightly more pointy, just at the top

The PS4 shot hasn't been through the final game's video compression so you can't conclusively compare resolution, blocking, crush/clipping etc.

KyleCross

Oh dang, I was kinda getting really hyped before I found out that earlier comparison was using an old E3 version. I was thinking "If they went as far as to redo aspects of the pre-rendered cutscenes beyond simply re-rendering them then holy hell they went all out." I'm definitely skeptical that they did anything other than re-render them, but that's okay cause the cutscenes were already gorgeous. Seeing them again in 1080p 60fps is going to be a treat.

Just traded my PS3 copy in and have my PS4 copy preordered. I actually never touched the multiplayer, but I hear it was really good. I'll definitely have to check it out on the PS4.

Thinking of getting the sony pulse wireless headsets for the remaster as i want surround sound (or close to it at least) are these a good purhase? And whats the surround sound like in the last of us?

Thinking of getting the sony pulse wireless headsets for the remaster as i want surround sound (or close to it at least) are these a good purhase? And whats the surround sound like in the last of us?

I didn't use them to play The Last of Us, but the sound from the Pulse Elites are good for the price. They do hurt my head after a while of useage, and are susceptible to cracking (you may have seen multiple threads on Gaf about it). That being said, they haven't broken on me thus far, and wern't overly expensive. It's a solid choice, but there are probably people with better experience actually using them who may be able to comment.

As long as there's still the media release planned in 3 weeks I'll be happy till then.
That's probably when we'll get the actual video(s) showing the game, some differences, whats included on the disc, and that it's available "NOW" (that day)

Takuan

So yea it looks pretty much the same just in 1080p 60fps ...thank god this game already looks great

Yeah. What looks better is a matter of preference in those comparison shots. Matter fact, you show those pics to random people and I wouldn't be surprise they say the PS3 version looks better.

viveks86

The should've used a direct screenshot like i did here

iyO1gVDO61Aut.png

Hopefully ND releases a comparison video because there are plenty of differences in the ps4 version apart from the boosted resolution and framerate.

I guess this confirms that the new 'leaked' shots are indeed from the PS4 build. Aren't both of these from a pre-rendered cut scene though? They seem to have improved the engine for sure. But I think the difference is going to be a lot more pronounced in gameplay

terrible

Banned
If you view those screenshots fullscreen the higher resolution shots (PS4 ones) are unquestionably better looking. In their quoted form they aren't that different so you really need to see them fullscreen to see how big of a difference it really is.

KyleCross

I guess this confirms that the new 'leaked' shots are indeed from the PS4 build. Aren't both of these from a pre-rendered cut scene though? They seem to have improved the engine for sure. But I think the difference is going to be a lot more pronounced in gameplay

The PS3 screenshot featured in that comparison is the E3 2012 build.

viveks86

The PS3 screenshot featured in that comparison is the E3 2012 build.

Yeah just saw Shin-Ra's post. Compression aside, the difference is even more subtle than wishmaster's comparison. So I guess the cutscenes aren't going to be all that different other than resolution and framerate. Not too surprising since the cutscenes already looked insanely good. If the gameplay matches that on PS4, that's all you could ask for from a port.

Hey guys I think sony ninja'd the refund for those of us that bought it digital. I had 83 bucks last time I checked and now that I was contemplating the idea of upgrading my destiny version to the ghost one I have 93.
Can someone confirm this or am I crazy?

ShutterMunster

Hey guys I think sony ninja'd the refund for those of us that bought it digital. I had 83 bucks last time I checked and now that I was contemplating the idea of upgrading my destiny version to the ghost one I have 93.
Can someone confirm this or am I crazy?

They sent me a message on PSN weeks ago saying they dropped the price down to 49.99 and that I'd get a refund for the $10.

They sent me a message on PSN weeks ago saying they dropped the price down to 49.99 and that I'd get a refund for the $10.
Yeah. I think I worded bad my post.

What I meant is, if any of you already received their refunds? Since you always get a message when money is added to your wallet.

Just want to confirm with other gafer if they got their 10$ back

Edit- since I have shitty memory

Yeah. I think I worded bad my post.

What I meant is, if any of you already received their refunds? Since you always get a message when money is added to your wallet.

Just want to confirm with other gafer if they got their 10$ back

Edit- since I have shitty memory

Check you bank account if you have one attached for funding. I got a $10 credit to mine on 7/2 (even though I've been buying PSN cards for games lately).

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
least egregious pre-order bonus they could do, since you can upgrade crafting time naturally in the game regardless.

But they also mention special multiplayer items (hats etc.). Does it mean they are exclusive to preorders, i.e. you can't earn them through regular online progression?

ksdixon

Are you talking PSN? As on my US account I had to buy it not preorder it.

Yup, I bought it on us psn, but I think I bought a vdrsion which comes with the usual preorder stuff like multiplayer skills. Said I could pre-download the game before release but was using December dates.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
this comes from the custom hdd covers thread, but I might as well post it here too. My first try ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

YOH8aM1.png

Kyoufu

Yup, I bought it on us psn, but I think I bought a vdrsion which comes with the usual preorder stuff like multiplayer skills. Said I could pre-download the game before release but was using December dates.

Can't pre-load TLOU unfortunately.

velociraptor

iyO1gVDO61Aut.png

Hopefully ND releases a comparison video because there are plenty of differences in the ps4 version apart from the boosted resolution and framerate.

Are these cutscene comparisons?

I'm more interested in how the differences pan out in gameplay.

Inspectorg

Neo Member
Seeing the posts here. I can't wait for this game. I missed it on ps3 because my old 60gb system couldn't keep up with it unfortunately

basically got to first clicker and then it was auto off like it was overheating...

So can't wait to experience all this goodness in a more complete version

Seeing the posts here. I can't wait for this game. I missed it on ps3 because my old 60gb system couldn't keep up with it unfortunately

basically got to first clicker and then it was auto off like it was overheating...

So can't wait to experience all this goodness in a more complete version

Damn, wish I was like you. Keep your hype in check though, if you like it, it will make the game all the better.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
i'm not seeing it. the only difference to me is the ps3 version looks grainy whereas the ps4 version doesn't.

the ear, for example, looks smoother in the ps3 version.
Look at the wrist and neck line. Much smoother. The skin is responding to light better.

nOoblet16

iyO1gVDO61Aut.png

Your PS3 shot seems to be from a cutscene..cut scenes in ND games have used SSS since UC2.

GavinUK86

i'm not seeing it. the only difference to me is the ps3 version looks grainy whereas the ps4 version doesn't.

the ear, for example, looks smoother in the ps3 version.

I wouldn't call the ear in the PS3 version 'smoother', it's just more square. I would say the PS4 has more depth to it. More natural looking. Like a real ear.

zlatko

Banned
idfgaf what it looks like haha. I never got to play this since I sold my PS3 too early.

I'm beyond hyped to dive into this game full force and lock myself away from the world.

The MP looks fantastic as well.

Surprised that ND/Sony didn't do more collectors edition things with this one. I would've been all over 80-100 product with like Joel's backpack or something.

Top Bottom