• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

The should've used a direct screenshot like i did here

iyO1gVDO61Aut.png

Hopefully ND releases a comparison video because there are plenty of differences in the ps4 version apart from the boosted resolution and framerate.

In this pic the PS3 version looks sharper. It seems they are using FXAA as their post aa solution. Hope 1080p can compensate the FXAA softness somewhat.

-griffy-

Banned
In this pic the PS3 version looks sharper. It seems they are using FXAA as their post aa solution. Hope 1080p can compensate the FXAA softness somewhat.

This pic is comparing a pre-release version of the PS3 to the PS4 version. The release PS3 version looks more or less identical to the PS4 version except at lower resolution. This is also from a pre-rendered cutscene.

We need someone to edit that pic out of that post so people stop quoting it.

EDIT:
Here is a similar shot using the proper PS3 release version that Shin-Ra posted:
iTGsbsHdZwC1q.jpg

And here are the full grabs from Shin-Ra:

Again, these are cutscene comparisons, which should be identical minus resolution and framerate. The gameplay is where we will see any real improvements with higher res character models, improved textures, lighting, etc.

This thread is a treadmill of the same thing over and over and over again:

- I wish there was an upgrade program, I bought the game and a season pass
- I wish there was footage, I'm super concerned
- are we sure it's 60fps?

And 'round and 'round we go.

Yup. Think it's best we simply wait for something tangible and official, we ain't going anywhere.

Lemondish

Seriously? Maybe so people can make a purchase decision? The loyalty some of you guys have to developers is right down scary, so what's the point of game previews if we are gonna heve tons of people streaming it, previews in the TR:DE was what helped that game sell as many copies as it did, not many people streaming the game

Why do you need to make a purchase decision before the item is even available to purchase? Aren't all the things I mentioned actually better for making a more informed decision? You can read the review from your preferred outlet, see the game in the actual wild, and visit the sites with your favourite writers for better, more tailored information to your tastes. I just think that's a smarter way to go about it then dropping your pants a greasing up over a PR release.

Can you provide a link to your claim there about TR, though? I know most of my friends bought it after watching me stream it and I bought it after watching a stream myself. I found that to be way smarter than watching a trailer.

Why do you need to make a purchase decision before the item is even available to purchase? Aren't all the things I mentioned actually better for making a more informed decision? You can read the review from your preferred outlet, see the game in the actual wild, and visit the sites with your favourite writers for better, more tailored information to your tastes. I just think that's a smarter way to go about it then dropping your pants a greasing up over a PR release.

Can you provide a link to your claim there about TR, though? I know most of my friends bought it after watching me stream it and I bought it after watching a stream myself. I found that to be way smarter than watching a trailer.

Personally I watched a stream on my PS4 and the quality was god-awful - not a good way to promote a remaster.

Lemondish

Personally I watched a stream on my PS4 and the quality was god-awful - not a good way to promote a remaster.

I watched the stream for the gameplay. I went online to a third party site to see the visuals and comparisons. I didn't watch anything from Squeenix. I tend to focus mostly on the first part (gameplay) over the second (visuals) in my game buying decisions, but there's more than enough resources for anyone's preferences to be meet.

You still didn't answer why we need pre-release marketing? This talk about how some tweets were apparently 'ridiculous hyping' has me thinking that everybody who is upset that there's no video has already made up their mind and just can't wait to troll. I can't respect you for that.

Shin-Ra

Not sure if serious.

There are several TLoU screens out there that show combat situations in areas there aren't any. It's odd.
Gameplay scenarios change during development? There's lots of stealth or action after that and a forced action sequence right before the cellar so it was probably changed to lengthen the breather period.

Shin-Ra

https://twitter.com/bruce_straley/status/487295746085904384
@bruce_straley: Aim/Shoot w the PS4's triggers at 60fps feels so good! So we set this as our #TLOUremastered defaults (u can flip back). #everyshotcounts
https://twitter.com/bruce_straley/status/487295921097420800
@bruce_straley: Supporting Southpaw eluded us during TLOU production (analog stick swapping), but it's in for #TLOUremastered. Enjoy, ya freaks! ;)

#teamL1R1

Is it me or the PS3 version actually look sharper, especially the skin.
lol

frogger

The should've used a direct screenshot like i did here

iyO1gVDO61Aut.png

Hopefully ND releases a comparison video because there are plenty of differences in the ps4 version apart from the boosted resolution and framerate.

Is it me or the PS3 version actually look sharper, especially the skin.

Sorry about that guys. I will edit the post containing the misleading image. I didn't know it was from an older build.

edit: done

was not my intention to mislead anybody

MavFan619

Banned
Doesn't look that different to me, GTAV looks like a big jump compared to TLOU. Minor jump in graphics and 60fps, should drop the price by 10 again just for hyping it up on twitter, had everyone thinking tarzan and we got jane.
The thing they've been hyping on twitter is something you don't see in screens. Silky smooth 60fps. I'll take that over better shirt textures any day.

kaskade

ND should do like an indepth digital foundry like comparison to ease people's worries with some screens. Put up a torrent of native uncompressed video for comparison. They really haven't shown much of the game and it is coming out very soon. I can't wait.

hawk2025

ND should do like an indepth digital foundry like comparison to ease people's worries with some screens. Put up a torrent of native uncompressed video for comparison. They really haven't shown much of the game and it is coming out very soon. I can't wait.

Which is what Kojima did, and it was glorious.

Lemondish

Yes, for the likely two percent of their potential user base. Brilliant use of their time.

Why don't they release a TRAILER? Youtube now supports 60 fps, so we should get a real feel about the game.

Unless YouTube fixed their horrible compression along with 60 fps support, then I don't even want to see it there.

For a reference video like this I'd take proper IQ over proper framerate. I know what 60 fps looks like. I don't know what TLOU:R looks like.

Moofers

Is the multiplayer worth getting PS+ for? Do I need a headset, too?

Cant wait to play this for the first time

In my opinion, hell yes to both questions. I love shooters, but honestly I got burnt out on VS play a few years back. Just didn't have much appetite for it anymore. I felt like I could never be fast enough or familiar enough with all the dumb tricks that people exploit in stuff like CoD, Halo, and Gears.

TLOU was opposite of all that for me. I got pretty good at it just by playing smart. Stick with your team, don't reload in doorways, don't give away your position, and remember your ABC's (always be crafting!). I got absolutely hooked for like 3 months where this was all I played. That's unheard of for me these days. I'm 33, married, and busy a lot of the time so I hardly ever give a game 3 solid months, much less a competitive mode. And I'm talking like 5 nights a week kind of hooked. Very into it.

Jump in, man. You won't regret it. Best shooter of last gen, IMO. Maybe this gen too, at least for a little while. :)

Top Bottom