• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

Mikey Jr.

Yea, these comments are so outlandish.

I suppose people will get used to 60fps if more games go down that route
this gen. But that's a pretty huge "IF".

The bigger number is always more ideal, folks.

Answer me one question.

If the game was 30fps, could they put more effects in? More anti-aliasing? Better textures?

Yes or no?

The Tomb Raider remaster was amazing on PS4. Can't wait for The Last of Us remaster. 1080p 60fps is going to be amazing.

Can't wait to see what other Remastered/Definitive Editions come to PS4.

Which ones would you like to see?

There aren't a whole lot of PS3 games that need Re-masters that badly.

They already released bundles of the Uncharted titles on PS3.

Weren't there rumors of a space game from ND?
I'd rather see them take on that than TLoU2. But I could live with another TLoU game. As long as it is what U2 was to U1. And not like U3, a great game on itself, but a tad disappointing coming off U2. Basically, as long as ND is sure they can top TLoU, I'm good for another one.

botty

Banned
There is something really cheap about using the giraffe scene in that trailer. Kind of desperate, too. I feel like that moment should be saved for when you actually reach it in game. This is NaughtyDog in 2014 I guess.

I really hope it does come out in June. If it's a late summer or fall release than that leads me to believe Sony will be treating this release as a AAA PS4 release instead of just a PS3 port.

TimFL

So what does gameplay enhancements mean? I remember ND talking about what their original vision was with TLoU (better AI, simultaneous fights with both humans and the infected in MP etc. but scratched later on due to memory restrictions).
I don't expect them to add new features but it'd be nice to see some of the original AI they showed off/talked about early on.

Endo Punk

I was convinced back when I saw the ending of the first game, lol.

Really? The ending felt like the type of ending that is best left to interpretation, something to wonder about rather than an outright cliffhanger ending.

lol at this new IP begging I keep seeing. They just made one less than a year ago.

Well if ND made a new it certainly wont come out until 2016 the earliest. But if the TLOU gets a sequel that gets pushed back 2 years. Really want to see ND creating a new face for themselves for this gen instead of hand-me-downs from the last.

You need that to confirm TLOU 2 will happen ?
It sold more then 6 million copies.
You can bet you'r ass it will have a sequel lol

If it was all about sales for them then TLOU would never have existed.

Charcoal

I can totally see this being a thing at Sony's E3 conference. Someone important takes the stage, talks about how amazing the game is, and says that it will be available for sale starting today/ tomorrow.

M.Steiner

Just in reply to some of the £50 comments from earlier today - After having a look around at other UK retailers it seems Zavvi have it cheapest atm, or at least the cheapest I have come across.
Amazon UK, GAME etc may lower their prices before release of course but right now Zavvi have it for £38.99. Not a bad price imo.

Kydd BlaZe

Maybe stuff like Crysis 3, Metro: Last Light, BioShock Infinite, God of War III. And for Xbox, stuff like Gears of War and Halo.

Shin-Ra

Temporal resolution is a noticeable bump, and it looks very clean, obviously they could implement 4xMSAA or whatever, but the benefit of 60Hz is going to be larger for the average user most likely.
Yep, the vertical edge flicker on the distant building is much better in the 60fps trailer.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
since I never got to experience it on PS3, this would be a great addition.

antitrop

Are they remastering Left Behind, too?

I held off on getting it back in February because of the PS4 rumors, so I'm really looking forward to that.

Jedi2016

It's similar to Arkham Asylum's detective mode, but like a visual sonar. In reality, it makes no sense physically, but it's to enable Joel to see/hear enemies through walls and around corners.
When you think about it, it's not that crazy. A person can get an exceptionally good idea of where sound is coming from, something that games just can't replicate. The best a game can do is general direction, but a human can pick out an exact direction, as well as distance, whether the sound was behind something or direct line of sight (sound), etc, based on how it was picked up, such as bouncing off a wall, combined with the sound bouncing off of other walls and comparing the gap between them, etc. I work in a decent-sized, very cluttered computer room. I can pinpoint a sound anywhere in the room, from anywhere else in the room, to within about a foot, regardless of what's between it and me. That's what Joel is doing, the same thing any other human can do. He's listening and pinpointing the location of the enemies in his environment, regardless of whether he can see them.. I can do it, you can do it, anyone can do it. The game is just doing it in the only way it can... visually.

KAL2006

Banned

What the hell, there are a ton of games that could use the extra horsepower. The PC versions of multiplatform games have shown this with.

Personally Sony should concentrate on their top games that 360 gamers missed out on, that would benefit from the extra horsepower.
Uncharted Trilogy
God of War III and Ascension
Beyond
Ratchet and Clank Future Collection

That's all they need to re release, games like Resistance series are dead IPs that don't have enough demand. inFamous is also pointless as the old games were not pushing graphics in comparison to GoW or Uncharted. Also Killzone is also pointless after the performance of Shadow Fall, it is safe to say that IP is done just like Resistance.

I also think some multiplatform games deserve a rerelease such as BioShock Infinite, Dark Souls 2, GTAV,

hawk2025

There is something really cheap about using the giraffe scene in that trailer. Kind of desperate, too. I feel like that moment should be saved for when you actually reach it in game. This is NaughtyDog in 2014 I guess.

Yep, they are desperate to market a fantastically critically acclaimed game with 6 million sales in one platform.

Uh huh.

When you think about it, it's not that crazy. A person can get an exceptionally good idea of where sound is coming from, something that games just can't replicate. The best a game can do is general direction, but a human can pick out an exact direction, as well as distance, whether the sound was behind something or direct line of sight (sound), etc, based on how it was picked up, such as bouncing off a wall, combined with the sound bouncing off of other walls and comparing the gap between them, etc. I work in a decent-sized, very cluttered computer room. I can pinpoint a sound anywhere in the room, from anywhere else in the room, to within about a foot, regardless of what's between it and me. That's what Joel is doing, the same thing any other human can do. He's listening and pinpointing the location of the enemies in his environment, regardless of whether he can see them.. I can do it, you can do it, anyone can do it. The game is just doing it in the only way it can... visually.

Also you could reference the blind man that uses sonar to get around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_echolocation

Shin-Ra

What the hell, there are a ton of games that could use the extra horsepower. The PC versions of multiplatform games have shown this with.

Personally Sony should concentrate on their top games that 360 gamers missed out on, that would benefit from the extra horsepower.
Uncharted Trilogy
God of War III and Ascension
Beyond
Ratchet and Clank Future Collection

That's all they need to re release, games like Resistance series are dead IPs that don't have enough demand. inFamous is also pointless as the old games were not pushing graphics in comparison to GoW or Uncharted. Also Killzone is also pointless after the performance of Shadow Fall, it is safe to say that IP is done just like Resistance.

I also think some multiplatform games deserve a rerelease such as BioShock Infinite, Dark Souls 2, GTAV,
The first two inFAMOUS' would benefit a lot from anti-aliasing and 60fps, and the res increase of course. Not the biggest lookers but at 60fps it'd feel much slicker.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If I had to guess, the majority of people buying this will be those who already played the game. So the scene is there for those like us, to remind us what that favourite moment will look like now.

SaberEdge

The Tomb Raider remaster was amazing on PS4. Can't wait for The Last of Us remaster. 1080p 60fps is going to be amazing.

Can't wait to see what other Remastered/Definitive Editions come to PS4.

Yeah, the Definitive Version of Tomb Raider was nice on PS4. I already have the game on PC so I didn't get the PS4 version, but I'm definitely getting The Last of Us Remastered. It was one of the best games I have played and I would love to play through it again with better graphics and performance.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Really? The ending felt like the type of ending that is best left to interpretation, something to wonder about rather than an outright cliffhanger ending.

Well if ND made a new it certainly wont come out until 2016 the earliest. But if the TLOU gets a sequel that gets pushed back 2 years. Really want to see ND creating a new face for themselves for this gen instead of hand-me-downs from the last.

If it was all about sales for them then TLOU would never have existed.

1) They are still a business, and they are not funding millions into their best studio for a project just because they feel like it.
2) It is for the most part a zombie game, which people love, from the creators of one of the most adored franchises ever. It makes a lot of sense this game exists.

stryke

Yeah, the Definitive Version of Tomb Raider was nice on PS4. I already have the game on PC so I didn't get the PS4 version, but I'm definitely getting The Last of Us Remastered. It was one of the best games I have played and I would love to play through it again with better graphics and performance.

Maybe ND will add in something just as demanding, but not having tressfx will probably help TLOU hold up closer to 60fps.

DedValve

Banned
This remaster convinced me that ND will be working on TLOU2 after UC4. Now we wont get a new IP from ND until 2018. Sigh.

The company just made a new ip not 10 months ago! Not to mention that naughty dog typically does a trilogy before making a new ip. Uncharted is an exception but uncharted 4 only comes after the last of us.

orochi91

Answer me one question.

If the game was 30fps, could they put more effects in? More anti-aliasing? Better textures?

Yes or no?

To be frank, I'd like to imagine that the PS4 can achieve both 60fps and great
AA/textures. 60fps needs to become the norm; it needs to start with the big
studios in the industry in order for it to become standard.

But the answers to your question is yes, 30fps would allow them to do even more
visually with this port. I've just become so enamored with 60fps recently. It is seriously
a difference maker :D

geordiemp

Maybe ND will add in something just as demanding, but not having tressfx will probably help TLOU hold up closer to 60fps.

I never understood the tressfx hair fixation for tomb raider, would have preferred a locked 60 fps and some nice AA if anything left...

skybald

I never understood the tressfx hair fixation for tomb raider, would have preferred a locked 60 fps and some nice AA if anything left...

Well it is a technical achievement that they got it working on consoles. Apparently they really optimized the hell out of it, so they can likely use it in forthcoming games

burgerdog

Hm I just thought of something. Do you guys think they'll get the flashlight to project shadows in all "levels"? There was a few areas that turned that amazing effect off. I really hope they implement it in those areas to have a consistent effect across the entire game.

Eusis

One of the ads showed that TLoU was being sold for $79.95 on Newegg. Granted that was through a third party, but I think that highlights why SCEA is running with that price: the game legitimately has that value and demand, especially if they're pointedly not printing new copies or anything like that.

Top Bottom