• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

The guy was staring at me until I left.

image.php

Love these tales of woe. Lol

GavinUK86

Off topic, I just now unlocked the Clever Girl trophy in TR:DE. Getting some 60fps
give or take
action in preparation for TLOU.

I hated TR:DE but loved vanilla TR on PC. I couldn't get to grips with the frame drops on the PS4 but I think that may be due to me playing the game at a locked 60 previously and my brain just saying NOPE.

Nice one! I got excited for moment there. I thought that there was some dinosaur related goodness in TR. If there was one way that they could improve TR, it'd be by adding dinosaurs. Let me hunt a TRex with Lara in the next TR Crystal Dynamics.

Haha! TR:JP would be fantastic. Lara would find a way to tame a velociraptor to ride it around the island and fight by her side.

I hated TR:DE but loved vanilla TR on PC. I couldn't get to grips with the frame drops on the PS4 but I think that may be due to me playing the game at a locked 60 previously and my brain just saying NOPE.

In that sense I guess I am lucky to be a console gamer mainly. I have never been bothered by frame rate issues unless they slow things down so bad they are literally unplayable.

GavinUK86

In that sense I guess I am lucky to be a console gamer mainly. I have never been bothered by frame rate issues unless they slow things down so bad they are literally unplayable.

I kinda agree. If I wasn't a PC gamer I doubt frame drops would bother me too much but because I had already played that game, smoothly, it bothered me to the extent I couldn't finish it on PS4. If a game can't hit 60 then it has to be locked at 30 for me to enjoy it. I can't stand anything in between.

StuBurns

Banned
I think the big difference is just how a mouse feels, 30fps is garbage on PC because it feels like you're dragging a reticule around instead of pointing. Sticks are mushy enough that it removes a lot of that.

GavinUK86

I think the big difference is just how a mouse feels, 30fps is garbage on PC because it feels like you're dragging a reticule around instead of pointing. Sticks are mushy enough that it removes a lot of that.

Agreed. I can't use mouse and keyboard in a 30fps game.

IN&OUT

Banned
I kinda agree. If I wasn't a PC gamer I doubt frame drops would bother me too much but because I had already played that game, smoothly, it bothered me to the extent I couldn't finish it on PS4. If a game can't hit 60 then it has to be locked at 30 for me to enjoy it. I can't stand anything in between.

I played the whole game , didn't notice those drops at all.

Didn't DF analysis average above 50 fps?

jeffyjaixx

Does anyone know why if you pre-order digitally from PSN, the release date is Dec. 31? Will you be able to download on July 29th or what?

Andrew.

Banned
Loved TR DE. The PS4 version was my third run and with the increased framerate it felt practically like a whole new game to me. That game really opened my eyes to the glory of 60 FPS. I don't really remember encountering any dips, but I'm sure they were there. I was just so engrossed in the experience and didn't notice or didn't care.

I bet to pc gamers the drop from 60 to 45-50 feels similar to what a drop from 30 to 15-20 feels like for console gamers. It is noticeable and I'd rather not have it happen but on consoles you have to take what you can get.

I just wish that console devs would give more graphic scaling options so you could tune down the shininess to increase frame rates if you preferred. I know that will likely never happen though.

Mdk7

A little fanart i'm making to celebrate the release of the game, when i'll finish it i'll also turn it into a tee.
Mind it's still a WIP, like 40% done (but i do hope you guys still enjoy it :D).

Schermata2014-07-26a173547_zpsf64ebed4.png

Andrew.

Banned
A little fanart i'm making to celebrate the release of the game, when i'll finish it i'll also turn it into a tee.
Mind it's still a WIP, like 40% done (but i do hope you guys still enjoy it :D).

Schermata2014-07-26a173547_zpsf64ebed4.png

I'll buy a t. Send me a link when you're finished. Looks awesome!

GavinUK86

Yeah the average is around 45-50. That's very noticeable to some, me included. It's just one of those things I guess.

Does anyone know why if you pre-order digitally from PSN, the release date is Dec. 31? Will you be able to download on July 29th or what?

It said the same for me. It's probably just a placeholder even though we know the release date.

Yeah the average is around 45-50. That's very noticeable to some, me included. It's just one of those things I guess.

You're not alone. If a game drops even one frame below a multiple I can notice it. So sensitive to it now. Screen tearing and jumps are also super terrible.

GavinUK86

You're not alone. If a game drops even one frame below a multiple I can notice it. So sensitive to it now. Screen tearing and jumps are also super terrible.

Yeah, same. On PC, I have to play multiplayer games with vsync off to avoid mouse lag but then, in some games, the screen tearing is atrocious.

Yeah, same. On PC, I have to play multiplayer games with vsync off to avoid mouse lag but then, in some games, the screen tearing is atrocious.

I am not as bad then.....I can deal with some input lag in order to keep visual consistency.

If you can't keep 60 lock it to 30!
I have done this for a few games on my PC

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I bet to pc gamers the drop from 60 to 45-50 feels similar to what a drop from 30 to 15-20 feels like for console gamers. It is noticeable and I'd rather not have it happen but on consoles you have to take what you can get.

I just wish that console devs would give more graphic scaling options so you could tune down the shininess to increase frame rates if you preferred. I know that will likely never happen though.
It's just personal preference. It has nothing to do with being a X gamer or a Y gamer.

I play a lot of games on PC and have a better PC than some people that love to post about how frame rate is super mega important and if it drops to 59.9 fps that is like murdering chickens.
(Even goes so far as that proof was requested because no way someone that owns a GPU that good can have this opinion, it's only people that are ignorant of the truth can feel this way.)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
You're right, hats off to EHTONK! I'm checking out more of his comparison vids now, great body of work.

Aside, Gamersyde deserves big props for the video player that supports these sort of high quality, high framerate comparisons.

Yep EHTONK did a great job with this video, we certainly would never dare claim it as ours. Sadly though, the game is under embargo, and as such I had no choice but to disable this video until the embargo ends. I would have done it earlier, but vacations sometimes mean I'm not in front of my pc all the time.

GavinUK86

If you can't keep 60 lock it to 30! I have done this for a few games on my PC

I've played quite a few games at 30 due to not being able to keep it at 60. I'm not willing to make the game look like it's from the PS2 era just for 60fps. Witcher 2 comes to mind recently. Set it to Ultra and locked it to 30.

It's just personal preference. It has nothing to do with being a X gamer or a Y gamer.

I play a lot of games on PC and have a better PC than some people that love to post about how frame rate is super mega important and if it drops to 59.9 fps that is like murdering chickens.

It's all just personal preference. That second part is funny but very true.

Andrew.

Banned

(Even goes so far as that proof was requested because no way someone that owns a GPU that good can have this opinion, it's only people that are ignorant of the truth can feel this way.)

The lower the framerate the better the graphics are though. This has been going on for decades. I'm amazed that people don't realize this.

benny_a

The lower the framerate the better the graphics are though. This has been going on for decades. I'm amazed that people don't realize this.
I only laughed at that guy because of the phrasing. The way he phrased it is untrue.
Lowering the frame rate doesn't increase the graphics, lowering the graphics however increases the frame-rate.

Depending on what assumptions you make it's true that lower frame rate is associated with better graphics.
Console development is zero-sum so the target that a developer is aiming for is important for the final look of the game.

I see what you are saying and I agree it is most definitely a preference thing. To me the difference between a console and PC gamer is that console gamers pretty much have to accept something as is where PC gamers can tune and tweak graphics options to their desires. I think that makes us console folks a bit more accepting of flaws in general.
Maybe people are just way less invested on consoles. Skyrim on PC with mods is way better than Skyrim on consoles.
The question some people ask themselves is: Is it worth 8 hours of tweaking and getting skyrimnexus to download and resolve compatibility problems to get there?

(Lest I be accused of making up the time frame, I have some irc logs to share. ;-))

Screen tearing is a big pet peeve of mine in console games. It seems lazy to me to leave something so noticeable and detracting in a game. I would rather have graphics toned down to stabilize that then get amazing graphics with constant tearing.

I see what you are saying and I agree it is most definitely a preference thing. To me the difference between a console and PC gamer is that console gamers pretty much have to accept something as is where PC gamers can tune and tweak graphics options to their desires. I think that makes us console folks a bit more accepting of flaws in general.

Maybe people are just way less invested on consoles. Skyrim on PC with mods is way better than Skyrim on consoles.
The question some people ask themselves is: Is it worth 8 hours of tweaking and getting skyrimnexus to download and resolve compatibility problems to get there?

(Lest I be accused of making up the time frame, I have some irc logs to share. ;-))

At first I was going to take exception to the invested statement but then after reading the rest of you post I couldn't. I would never spend that much time trying to mod a game but then again I don't have a good PC for gaming on. I generally fo console for the ease of use but I am EXTREMELY invested in my console gaming.

What you describe is a whole different level though.

Screen tearing is a big pet peeve of mine in console games. It seems lazy to me to leave something so noticeable and detracting in a game. I would rather have graphics toned down to stabilize that then get amazing graphics with constant tearing.

The thing is, screen tearing can be fixed, at the cost of stuttering and jumping.

The only reliable way to get a smooth locked framerate is to get it over the target and lock it.

Andrew.

Banned
I only laughed at that guy because of the phrasing. The way he phrased it is untrue.
Lowering the frame rate doesn't increase the graphics, lowering the graphics however increases the frame-rate.

Depending on what assumptions you make it's true that lower frame rate is associated with better graphics.
Console development is zero-sum so the target that a developer is aiming for is important for the final look of the game

I know this. Thanks for clarifying though.

The thing is, screen tearing can be fixed, at the cost of stuttering and jumping.

The only reliable way to get a smooth locked framerate is to get it over the target and lock it.

And if I am not mistaken, console devs could do that if they toned down the fancy graphical effects. For example I loved Far Cry 3 but it took some serious getting used to the horrible tearing. For that kind of game I would have excepted lesser graphics for an overall smoother gameplay experience.

benny_a

The graphical imperfection that annoys me the most is screen tearing too.

I think it's fine if it's within the first or bottom 10% of the screen because I so seldom look there but if the tearline is in a more noticeable spot I get annoyed.

Some games are worth it anyway and the frequency with which the tearline appears also plays part in it. For example I'd take a constant tearline in the top 5% over one that occurs every 5-10 seconds in the middle of the screen.

Strider

The graphical imperfection that annoys me the most is screen tearing too.

I think it's fine if it's within the first or bottom 10% of the screen because I so seldom look there but if the tearline is in a more noticeable spot I get annoyed.

Agreed. It's hideous and gives me a headache.

And if I am not mistaken, console devs could do that if they toned down the fancy graphical effects. For example I loved Far Cry 3 but it took some serious getting used to the horrible tearing. For that kind of game I would have excepted lesser graphics for an overall smoother gameplay experience.

Yes, or if you worked to make their code more efficient. That, however, does have its limits and you can only go so far before toning effects down is easier.

StuBurns

Banned
There is no easy way to address performance peaks.

The problem is it's typically possible to stress a simulation massively more than in normal play. For example, take the
Uni spore section with the flamethrower
in TLoU, that section is covered in transparencies, enemies that spawn things which also cause additional load, and that weapon too has additional alpha implications. You could could go wild, spinning the camera around while you do so, and you will probably tax the engine hugely compared to 99% of the game.

There are a few choices, you can make the game consistent technologically with the very theoretically most demanding area, which means compromising 99% of the experience for the 1%, which is absurd, or you let it slow down/stutter/tear. You could also design a dynamic buffer that pulls back rendering when under heavy load, like idTech 5, or you could just remove aspects of the area that's demanding to even it out, compromising the design work.

There's no simple answer, TLoU will drop frames, as will UC4, it's not reasonable to expect otherwise. If you prefer stutter to tearing is just a matter of opinion, they're both very unpleasant.

Raptor

Judder or stuttering is worse IMO, way worse,, can't play a game if it has this, FC3, recently I had to wait for the Beta to be patched because I couldn't play it.

benny_a

If you prefer stutter to tearing is just a matter of opinion, they're both very unpleasant.
That sentence doesn't work because unpleasant is a subjective evaluation. You consider them both very unpleasant. That doesn't mean that they are both very unpleasant.

Just keep the adjectives out of the conclusion. The game will drop frames because the engine will be too stressed in that scenario to keep up with the target frame rate.

Top Bottom