• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

StuBurns

Banned
That sentence doesn't work because unpleasant is a subjective evaluation. You consider them both very unpleasant. That doesn't mean that they are both very unpleasant.

Just keep the adjectives out of the conclusion. The game will drop frames because the engine will be too stressed in that scenario to keep up with the target frame rate.
Are you suggesting stutter is pleasant to people?

StuBurns

Banned
I wasn't, but based on that reply I'm now suggesting that you're trying to create a false dichotomy.
I have no idea what you mean.

I said stutter is unpleasant, you said I shouldn't say that because it's an opinion. Firstly, I don't see why I can't post an opinion, but that's besides the point, the idea it's an opinion, not an objective weakness is strange to me, I don't think anyone would like it. Then again, some people like being shit on, so maybe.

Alright, ordered.

For UK buyers, whilst I can't vouch for them, as this is my first time using them and my items are still in transit, tradeinforcash.co.uk is offering £12.00 (£13 if your manual is intact) for The Last of Us on PS3. Everything else has a more moderate sell price (for instance, Second Son is £12.00), so I'm not sure how long it'll last.

Brings it down to a more reasonable price for me, considering the DLC and all.

Amazon UK offers £11.50 for TLOU in 'like new' condition. Not as good as the site you posted, but some people might be more confident using Amazon.

I traded in my PS3 copy when they were offering £15 for it. I put that towards the £30 I'm paying for the remaster. Happy days.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I have no idea what you mean.

I said stutter is unpleasant, you said I shouldn't say that because it's an opinion. Firstly, I don't see why I can't post an opinion, but that's besides the point, the idea it's an opinion, not an objective weakness is strange to me, I don't think anyone would like it. Then again, some people like being shit on, so maybe.
Stuff in life are not only either pleasant or unpleasant, so the dichotomy presented in your reply to me is invalid.

Feel free to post as many opinions as you want forever and ever.

I just read your post as a layman explanation on why it's unreasonable to expect a perfect frame rate in all scenarios while also trying to push the envelope graphics-wise.
I think putting a subjective value at the end of that post detracted from the rest of it and offered "The game will drop frames because the engine will be too stressed in that scenario to keep up with the target frame rate." as a neutral phrasing.

Canucked

My copy is on it's way. Very excited. Don't know if I'll go for all the trophies again, but I'm sure I'll end up playing through fully at least twice.

So has anyone seen the way the trophy list is laid out for this game? I read somewhere that you only need the original base game trophies for the Plat, like on PS3.

If that is the case, how are the DLC trophies separated? Are they their own tab like other games with DLC? HOW DOES THIS WORK WITH IT ALL BEING CONTAINED IN A SINGLE RELEASE? My head hurts.

AKyemeni

So has anyone seen the way the trophy list is laid out for this game? I read somewhere that you only need the original base game trophies for the Plat, like on PS3.

If that is the case, how are the DLC trophies separated? Are they their own tab like other games with DLC? HOW DOES THIS WORK WITH IT ALL BEING CONTAINED IN A SINGLE RELEASE? My head hurts.

As of right now, you can't access the trophy list on PS4. Everytime you try, you get an error message. You can only obtain trophies.

lemmykoopa

Will I again after beating the game on Hard and not bothering with collectibles end up with a 3% Trophy completion rate for the PS4 remaster? :-( I hope they changed the Trophies this way around...

Damn, I just want to be able to get 100% on one part of the game at least. I hate seeing like 42% and a platinum. For me, the Plat means 100% on a game and that's it. The best innovation of Vita and PS4 for me is the system of differentiating base and DLC trophies. Might as well use it.

Raptor

Is judder or stuttering just dropped frames or is this a different issue?

Didn't you felt something was wrong with the Destiny Beta at the very start of it?

IF your answer is no then you are not susceptible to it and you are blessed because of it, is like microfrezes constantly, makes me sick right away.

Microfrezes, Far Cry 3 on 360 was just unbearable.

AKyemeni

I'm on mobile but Naughty Dog is on record saying that they made trophies easier to get.

The only trophies they changed are the Multiplayer DLC trophies.

Instead of having to get 3 downs/execution and 0 deaths, they changed it into just having 5 downs/executions and deaths don't matter.

Everything else is the same.

Dominator

I couldn't get the game early from a shop that promised I could get it by Wednesday so I was already pissed, but at work we got a shipment in that had copies of the game and I was just holding them, weeping.

I need to play this again.

Is judder or stuttering just dropped frames or is this a different issue?
Kind of. It is actually duplicated frames caused by dropped frames.

So a display refreshes however many times a second. Each refresh has enough 'room' for one frame.

When you're outputting 60 frames a second on a 60hz panel (60 refreshes a second) you have one new frame per refresh. That looks smooth with no visual tearing or anything because the information is 'lined up' correctly.

Judder happens when the flow of information gets messed up somehow, and the display has nothing to output in the next refresh, so the last frame is duplicated, and as such, stays on screen for longer than it should have. This can go on for however many more refreshes until the panel gets another frame to use.

That is the easiest way to describe it. The actual answer is a bit more technical. Tearing is caused in a similar way. I can clarify if you have a scenario for me.

lemmykoopa

Why so much emphasis on collectibles trophies in tlou? Just not fun at all wondering all the areas with a guide in hand telling where to look.

Why so much emphasis on collectibles trophies in tlou? Just not fun at all wondering all the areas with a guide in hand telling where to look.

If you search every area thoroughly, you will get most of them on the first run. You really should be searching areas intently for supplies any way. (Unless you are playing on normal and below, which you shouldn't, hard is the best way to play.)

GavinUK86

If you search every area thoroughly, you will get most of them on the first run. You really should be searching areas intently for supplies any way. (Unless you are playing on normal and below, which you shouldn't, hard is the best way to play.)

I quite enjoyed it on normal.

Didn't you felt something was wrong with the Destiny Beta at the very start of it?

IF your answer is no then you are not susceptible to it and you are blessed because of it, is like microfrezes constantly, makes me sick right away.

OK, apparently I am not susceptible to it because I had no issues with the destiny beta at any point. It is so weird how everybody is affected by different things like that. Its why I don't argue with people about graphical and technical issues in games anymore.

Kind of. It is actually duplicated frames caused by dropped frames.

So a display refreshes however many times a second. Each refresh has enough 'room' for one frame.

When you're outputting 60 frames a second on a 60hz panel (60 refreshes a second) you have one new frame per refresh. That looks smooth with no visual tearing or anything because the information is 'lined up' correctly.

Judder happens when the flow of information gets messed up somehow, and the display has nothing to output in the next refresh, so the last frame is duplicated, and as such, stays on screen for longer than it should have. This can go on for however many more refreshes until the panel gets another frame to use.

That is the easiest way to describe it. The actual answer is a bit more technical. Tearing is caused in a similar way. I can clarify if you have a scenario for me.

OK, that all makes sense. I think I do notice it if I am looking for it. In Mario Kart 8 I could notice the single dropped frame after the DF article but once I start playing and forget about it I don't notice it anymore.

psychotron

I see it and it drives me insane. Infamous had stuttering that drove me crazy, and the Destiny alpha/beta too. Noticed immediately, but thankfully it's fixed in Destiny. I know there are different contributing factors that result in stuttering, but I would rather have dips or a locked lower framerate than that effect.

Ajax35

Banned
What would you prefer?

I don't have a problem with all the collectables, but I would strongly prefer some kind of indicator of what I've got and what I haven't got. Firefly pendants? No problem. I can always check to see which ones I'm missing. Comic books? Ditto. Optional conversations? Ugh. I didn't get that trophy to pop until my third run because I couldn't figure out which ones I missed.

Hubb

The only trophies they changed are the Multiplayer DLC trophies.

Instead of having to get 3 downs/execution and 0 deaths, they changed it into just having 5 downs/executions and deaths don't matter.

Everything else is the same.

Thank you NaughtyGods

StuBurns

Banned
I really don't see what's so good about Wolf, played the first few levels and it's bland as all hell. The story is rad, but the game is weak.

My PS4 display picture is broken, anyone know how to fix that? Not used the PS4 for a while, fired it up for Wolf and now my face is replaced with a dark circle.

Top Bottom