• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Sande

My hype is getting crazier every day. I'm almost at Dark Souls 2 levels, and this is a game I've completed at least 5 and a half times (I quit the latest playthrough when I heard of the remaster). In a weird way I'm not in a hurry to play this because I have other things to keep me occupied, but I do know that I must have this in my
PS4

I just had this crazy idea about pre-release trailers etc. SPOILERS

What if they made us believe that Sarah is alive? All it would take is 5 seconds in a trailer where they show her after the outbreak or talk like she's alive but then in the actual game... well, we know what happens. I think that would have been a brilliant way to completely mess with our expectations and the false sense of safety we would have had. Right now the one flaw of the prologue is that given the pre-release information it's almost certain that she will die.

I think my comparison is very close to cut scene model, the rougher pictures do seems like something messed up with the LOD or lighting there, but the other pictures of Tess that were published looks very good and fairly close.

Yup I agree, there's definitely something weird going on in those closeups. The other shots are basically cutscene model but look not quite as good because of the improved lighting/effects ND uses in rendering the cutscenes.

Ok good idea. Here my final ones, thanks to timu for taking the ps3 shots.

PS4
ibh10CZVexBcJ6.jpg

PS3
iJ6w4yLX44M53.PNG

This comparison is much better. The other comparison of these same shots made the PS3 version look better than I remember it looking. This one has shimmering around Joel's eyes and an overall jaggier look to the entire image, just like it did on my TV. The character model on the PS4 version looks so much better here. Thanks.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm massively excited to return to this game. It's one that means a whole hell of a lot and I've been itching to replay again lately. Newcomer impressions are going to be fun to read too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'd guess a 44GB download, but it unpacks to 50 when installing.
I don't think that's the case with PS4 games. From what I've seen the download size is pretty much what the final game size ends up being. Even at 50 that's a miniscule increase in file size compared to a massive bandwidth increase they'd have to have to keep those 1080p60 video files at a decent quality. I'm really curious how good/bad they'll end up looking.

Let me get this out of the way. I love the OP. Very clean and well organized. Love everything about it.

But the OT title...I'm not so sure.

What is the reasoning behind it? I've seen so many different, and in my opinion, better suggestions for the title that I'm genuinely curious.

Otherwise, awesome thread! Can't wait to play it this coming Tuesday!

Gurish

That looks like both a lack of SS and lower poly count. Why the hell does she look so much worse here when compared to the other in-game shots? That makes no sense. She looks cut-scene quality in the others....

Yea something is fucked up with these pics, the other pictures of Tess looks perfectly fine and are indeed close to her cut scene model, really don't know what happened there :?

Trejik

So I heard some stuff about the EU version censored in some manner.

Is it difficult to get a US PSN version? I really wanted the physical copy, but if the censor is important I don't want to miss out on stuff.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What is the reasoning behind it? I've seen so many different, and in my opinion, better suggestions for the title that I'm genuinely curious.
Because TLOU was game of the last year, and OT suggest in a jovial manner that it's going to be a game of this year as well. Which it might as well be, with how little competition for the crown there will be.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yea something is fucked up with these pics, the other pictures in Tess looks perfectly fine and are indeed close to her cut scene model, really don't know what happened there :?
Could be a glitch. We already know that the photo mode and the Grounded Doc are in the day 1 patch. I expect some other things too since they were so down to the wire going gold for this.

Tabasco

I might have to double dip and play this on the PS4.

It's pretty tempting at this point.

I bought the survival edition of the PS3 version when that came out, and the game was awesome.

I was going to trade in my copy at GameStop for the PS4 version but then I remembered I have the steelbook copy of the PS3 version, so that's not happening.

Maybe I can buy the standard PS3 version for less than the 50% price cut GameStop is offering? I kind of doubt it, and it seems like my only option is to double dip at full price.

I might have to double dip and play this on the PS4.

It's pretty tempting at this point.

I bought the survival edition of the PS3 version when that came out, and the game was awesome.

I was going to trade in my copy at GameStop for the PS4 version but then I remembered I have the steelbook copy of the PS3 version, so that's not happening.

Maybe I can buy the standard PS3 version for less than the 50% price cut GameStop is offering? I kind of doubt it, and it seems like my only option is to double dip at full price.
Just trade in the PS3 disc by itself.

Looks like she got stuck in lower LOD.

For the less tech savvy:

Level of detail

In computer graphics, accounting for level of detail involves decreasing the complexity of a 3D object representation as it moves away from the viewer or according to other metrics such as object importance, viewpoint-relative speed or position. Level of detail techniques increases the efficiency of rendering by decreasing the workload on graphics pipeline stages, usually vertex transformations. The reduced visual quality of the model is often unnoticed because of the small effect on object appearance when distant or moving fast.

Although most of the time LOD is applied to geometry detail only, the basic concept can be generalized. Recently, LOD techniques also included shader management to keep control of pixel complexity. A form of level of detail management has been applied to textures for years, under the name of mipmapping, also providing higher rendering quality.

Gurish

Looks like she got stuck in lower LOD.

Yea that's what i though, looks like a lower LOD model that we are not suppose to look at in that distance, maybe a glitch that didn't swap to the higher res model we've seen in other pics of her.

antitrop

The only reason I envy those getting to play the game for the first time is because I spent most of the first chapter complaining about the awful IQ and framerate of the PS3 version, before I finally got the fuck over it.

Gurish

The only reason I envy those getting to play the game for the first time is because I spent most of the first chapter complaining about the awful IQ and framerate of the PS3 version, before I finally got the fuck over it.

At least you got over it, some of us couldn't get pass that, only after finishing
summer
i think i let go.

Gbraga

That looks like both a lack of SS and lower poly count. Why the hell does she look so much worse here when compared to the other in-game shots? That makes no sense. She looks cut-scene quality in the others....

Maybe it changes back to "in-game models" when it needs to in order to keep 60fps or something?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I heard some stuff about the EU version censored in some manner.

Is it difficult to get a US PSN version? I really wanted the physical copy, but if the censor is important I don't want to miss out on stuff.

365games in the Uk is selling the US physical version as well as the Uk version. Or try videogamesplus.ca

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Any word on a sound profile for the Elite / Gold headset? I heard the profile they did for the PS3 version made quite a difference.

Maybe it changes back to "in-game models" when it needs to in order to keep 60fps or something?

I don't think it would be possible to actually switch out the entire character model on the fly like that, without it being noticeable. Could be wrong, though. My guess is with others who said it's like a LOD glitch.

Strider

That header image in the OT. Wonderful. Great OT overall too :)

Will be playing this through for the 3rd time come Tuesday and then diving back into that sweet sweet MP. Haven't played in a few months so I'll be rusty. oh well.

Top Bottom