• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Legacy |OT| Are these Tales of a SaGa?

My question is, since this game is 7 different characters with their own tales, is there a particular order to play this or can you play it in any way you desire?

Seda

The character differences are very slight. The game doesn't have numerous cutscenes, but the few scenes that are there are slanted towards the chosen character's motivation for exploring the island. The other 99% of the game is identical.

Vena

The character differences are very slight. The game doesn't have numerous cutscenes, but the few scenes that are there are slanted towards the chosen character's motivation for exploring the island. The other 99% of the game is identical.

I honestly don't even get Garnet's logic for why she's even on Avalon, or continues to explore it. Who or what anti-Church things would be on an island like this, lol.

ohlawd

these giant turtles with a mast on them are such assholes with their high damage rapid fire. I prep so much for them like they're bosses

Are there any items that decrease enemy encounters/make them less likely to notice you?

items? no, none that I have seen

there are fire monument things you stumble upon and they activate a torch that wards enemies. not every map has them. 100%'ing a map is supposed to decrease wandering enemies, but I don't notice it. not only that, it's pointless when you've already filled out a map lol. not often do you go back to an old map except stance farming

Teknoman

How do you learn spells again? Keep calling elementals until one sparks? I haven't played much aside from abit of the demo (wanna finish Persona Q before diving into the full game).

I can verify that the store does not sell any healing items better than Medicine Boxes up to the final boss.

How do you learn spells again? Keep calling elementals until one sparks? I haven't played much aside from abit of the demo (wanna finish Persona Q before diving into the full game).

Use the whispering shards to cast spells in battle, don't think you can spark anything with the ones that call the elmentals.

duckroll

Didn't dig into this much after getting it initially, but I've found some time to progress further today. Managed to map out all of the Roaring Valley and the Burrows, unlocked the Deserted Village and the Valley Ruins. I think one thing the game is actually pretty good at capturing SaGa-wise, is the feeling of incidental progression. Both in terms of how stat increments/levels/skills work, and in how the dungeons are approached. There isn't a particular linear path which always leads to a boss, instead there are certain points of interest within an area which could lead to opening up other areas or lead to an area boss, but it is up to the player to explore and interact with these elements.

Too bad the scale of the game feels really restrictive though. Even with a single town, they couldn't make it feel particularly lively or interesting. I keep returning to the king after making certain discoveries but there's never anything new to talk to him about either. It would have helped a lot with the pacing if there's a more constant flow of reaction feedback. I want to see more changes as I sell completed maps, I want more flavor text from the townspeople, I want to king to be more reactive and have more things to talk about as I find more things of interest. Instead everything feels so dead. :(

Yeah, I feel like the Roaring Valley was the best area of the game, because it
  • Provides a much needed visual contrast to the first two areas
  • Had the FOEs flying around, which was a neat sort of gimmick that livened things up and provided a new challenge to work toward
  • Unlocked like three different areas, which really emphasized the exploration aspect of the game (I especialyl liked the interconnectivity of the Archwing Burrow)

Unfortunately, none of the other areas I've been to have had the same depth.

Lombax

Banned
I honestly do not mean to bash this game, however I am loosing interest very quickly. I have played for about 6 hours thus far, and the game seems incredibly shallow.

- Do chars start to evolve quicker? My party is just stuck in an ability rut right now.
- At least thus far there seems to be no reason to use other formations other than "all attack" will this mechanic come into play later in the game?
- Does the game ever become more than a straight up grind?

Again I'm giving this game a fair shot, and there are aspects of it that I like. I am not sure if there is enough there to keep me going.

Vena

I've gotten through the Mesas and I can say that I too am grinding to a halt in my desire to progress. I'll eventually finish it as I did with a bunch of others games before this recent deluge of 3DS games came about. Oh well. :p

I still got a good 15-20 hours out of it, a kickass soundtrack, and a nice art book. I'm pretty happy.

Reveirg

I've gotten through the Mesas and I can say that I too am grinding to a halt in my desire to progress. I'll eventually finish it as I did with a bunch of others games before this recent deluge of 3DS games came about. Oh well. :p

I still got a good 15-20 hours out of it, a kickass soundtrack, and a nice art book. I'm pretty happy.

Do you know how far %-wise in the game the Mesas are?

I just got there, wondering how far I'm in. Really enjoying it so far.

I hit a boss I cannot defeat. Looks like the
Green Dragon
is gonna be a
Red Archwing
situation where I'm just gonna have to come back and tear it up later.

The only real tips I could find on the wiki is to pop into some of the other dungeons I've unlocked to unlock higher tier equipment at the shop, and while I did get some minor upgrades I don't think it's gonna be enough to take the bite out of
poison breath
. Like, two of those and it's a guaranteed party wipe for me.

Vena

Do you know how far %-wise in the game the Mesas are?

I just got there, wondering how far I'm in. Really enjoying it so far.

Don't get me wrong, its not that I didn't enjoy it on the way but I hit a bit of a "this is all too similar" wall that started making the game feel less than interesting. So when I come back to it after a long break I will more than likely be able to get through quite a bit more if not finish it. The sheen of the mechanics has pretty much just worn off, though, so my interest plummeted (this happens to me all the time with RPGs unless they are *really* well crafted).

Seda

I hit a boss I cannot defeat. Looks like the
Green Dragon
is gonna be a
Red Archwing
situation where I'm just gonna have to come back and tear it up later.

The only real tips I could find on the wiki is to pop into some of the other dungeons I've unlocked to unlock higher tier equipment at the shop, and while I did get some minor upgrades I don't think it's gonna be enough to take the bite out of
poison breath
. Like, two of those and it's a guaranteed party wipe for me.

Green Dragon
was the first boss I had to skip and come back to. I didn't bother with mitigating poison even, just kinda brute forced it when I had high enough HP.

Oddly enough, the later dragon was much easier because while it also has a breath attack, there're no status effects.

The second half of the game is disappointing content wise.

I was kind of expecting them to build on the level designs from the first half (which I liked), but instead it felt like more of the same. Throwing in a bunch of single floor areas didn't help much in that regard.

duckroll

Okay, after unlocking the Valley Ruins and the Seaside Ruins, I seem to have hit a roadblock. I managed to get the Singing Shard from the Valley Ruins, but in most cases I can't even fight the regular enemies in both dungeons. My main problem is that my defense seems so low compared to their attacks that it's incredibly easy to get a full wipe on the first turn from a large group of enemies with attacks which can hit my entire party. Since I can't do water contract and water barrier before they attack, that doesn't help either. Any tips?

Vena

Okay, after unlocking the Valley Ruins and the Seaside Ruins, I seem to have hit a roadblock. I managed to get the Singing Shard from the Valley Ruins, but in most cases I can't even fight the regular enemies in both dungeons. My main problem is that my defense seems so low compared to their attacks that it's incredibly easy to get a full wipe on the first turn from a large group of enemies with attacks which can hit my entire party. Since I can't do water contract and water barrier before they attack, that doesn't help either. Any tips?

Do you have anyone in Defense role? They should have picked up a couple of defender abilities that allow them to cover any offensive attacks (but not spells) and nullify damage. The higher the Guard level of the ability, the higher the proc rate (I think) while in Guard stance and it will cover everyone on the team. For instance, I have Garnet in permanent Guard stance with sword and shield, and both have developed into (slightly unique) defensive options depending on the encounter. Generally I just default to Retaliation (a shield skill that blocks and then strikes back) but when she was low level I used Guard and Ricochet.

Water Shield and Water Contract will only mitigate a small amount of damage but if you want to really survive, you need to have someone deflecting blows.

ohlawd

I started abusing Bladestorm and Air Contract by then

Air halves physical damage when it's the dominant element and since most enemies use melee attacks, it's a no-brainer.

duckroll

Yes I have Owen as the defender while Garnet and Filmia are my attackers. Garnet also heals, and she's my elemental contractor as well. Owen's guard skills are Block, Ricochet, and Perseverance. Ricochet works really well against individual physical attacks, but what's usually wiping my party are attacks which hit everyone. Can't seem to guard against those...

I relied pretty heavily on the group attack spear skill that also stuns during that part of the game. If you are fast enough you can often knock a few the attackers out of commission before they can act.

Perseverance plus water shield was usually enough to get me through the rest.

Thoraxes

Don't fight the birds/gryphons yet if you're just starting in that zone. At least, I don't really think any of the other enemies besides the, and little tribal-looking guys in the caves do AoE attacks. The latter doesn't do nearly as much damage as the former.

duckroll

I'm not talking about the Valley itself. I've cleared both the Valley and the Boiling Sea. I'm having difficulty with the enemies in the two ruins after that. They're tough, come in groups and have bullshit like Bladestorm. :(

Wingus

My froggy's learnt a ton of spear skills - Raging Swarm is an awesome AOE attack :D

The shield ability 'Retailiation' has been a god-send for me. Seriously, defending AND delivering counterstrikes means free damage and to Garnet retaliating multiple enemy attacks is great!

Jims

Got the demo and have been really enjoying it. I had been hearing really mixed things about it (Gamexplain really disliked it, for example) so I wasn't sure. But I'm one of those weirdos who cut their teeth on the SaGa Game Boy stuff, so I feel like I have to play it.

Just from two hours of it, I guess I get the complaints about the paper-thin characters, dialogue, and story and stuff. This really isn't a "proper" RPG or whatever and I don't think it should be viewed that way. This is clearly a hardcore mechanics-driven dungeon crawler kind of game, more like Etrian Odyssey. It feels like a game you play because you're interested in the tactical part of RPGs and enjoy the character-crafting angle of it. I ended up going with Owen because of how good his starting defense score was. I wanted him to be the tank but then the tutorial stance was setup for Garnet to tank the first dungeon, so I switched it afterwards. I ended up making a Protect formation for each of them individually, though. Is that a waste of time? If Owen gets really low, I feel like having Garnet taking a round can potentially be a good thing.

The random level-ups turn people off but they're like crack for me. You just start itching for those random Attack Ups or Defend Ups. There is no better feeling than completing a tough boss fight and then reading "Owen learning Healing, Healing to Lv 2, Healing to Lv 3, HP up, Attack Up" all after one battle. It's random but the randomness is fun. I have no idea why Filmia with his paltry 70 HP is now leading the party with over 150 HP but it's interesting what the RNG does.

I like that it doesn't seem to be a game dependent on consumable items, and is more character-ability/equip driven. I was very confused at first when I was able to use the Medicine Box over and over again.

I find the stances a little fussy sometimes and I find the support stuff with the elemental contracts a little nebulous but I think I'll learn them.

randomkid

I unironically love the gacha ship. When I'm ready to quit, I just quick save in case I don't like what I get, and spend my $1000 (and now, $5000!) and then it's like I have a neat little surprise to look forward to whenever I return to the game.

Wait, so is
the Bottomless Pit
leading into the endgame? I got down to the lowest area,
the low visibility one
, and the
whispering stones seemed to be dropping more solid plot information than any have before
, and I feel like once I get to the end of that area something's gonna happen.

I had to retreat because my party had lost like half their max HP and there was no way they'd be able to keep fighting. You pretty much have to resign yourself to facing every enemy in that dungeon because of the way it's laid out.

Seda

Wait, so is
the Bottomless Pit
leading into the endgame? I got down to the lowest area,
the low visibility one
, and the
whispering stones seemed to be dropping more solid plot information than any have before
, and I feel like once I get to the end of that area something's gonna happen.

I had to retreat because my party had lost like half their max HP and there was no way they'd be able to keep fighting. You pretty much have to resign yourself to facing every enemy in that dungeon because of the way it's laid out.

Not yet the endgame. First of all, you can remove the low visibility by finding the two fire elemental torches. And the bottom you battle the grim reaper guys. (I think you can fight them separately or all at once, I'm not sure).

Not yet the endgame. First of all, you can remove the low visibility by finding the two fire elemental torches. And the bottom you battle the grim reaper guys. (I think you can fight them separately or all at once, I'm not sure).

Yeah, I activated one of those, and I was looking for the other when I saw another swarm of
Shadow Giants
so I decided to retreat and get my max HP back.

duckroll

After tweaking my approach a little, upgrading some equipment, and getting a little lucky with treasure chests and a trading ship, I managed to progress pretty comfortably. Cleared out the Valley Ruins, and got far enough in the Seaside Ruins to get the Singing Stone to start unlocking all the other rooms.

Garnet got super lucky during one random encounter too, and learned Intervene and Deflect one after another just from spamming Desolution. Lol. That should open up more defensive options for me nicely, if I want to use Owen for something else during a turn. The mid-dungeon "evil presence" battle in the Valley Ruins also gave me a pretty powerful spear (30 attack) which was super useful for Filmia. Not sure if that was random or a fixed drop.

Some questions though - I'm at a point where I notice my inventory is pretty clogged with lots of seemingly useless stuff. Various eggs, junk items, lots of statues, etc. What's safe to sell and what isn't? Are of them used for anything later in the game? Is there a crafting system? Would hate to sell shit only for them to be part of a system later on.

Some questions though - I'm at a point where I notice my inventory is pretty clogged with lots of seemingly useless stuff. Various eggs, junk items, lots of statues, etc. What's safe to sell and what isn't? Are of them used for anything later in the game? Is there a crafting system? Would hate to sell shit only for them to be part of a system later on.
I've been selling everything that isn't equippable or a usable item.
All those coins, statues, etc. that build up over time seem to serve no function other than making some extra pocket change.

I doubt there's a crafting system, but I could be wrong.

I haven't seen hide nor hair of a crafting system, and I'm a pretty good ways into the game. I can't imagine they'd hide one this far into the game, especially when everything else is just kind of thrown at you after the intro dungeon, you know?

Jims

Aaaaaand, this is why this game is so addicting.

hDryEfg.jpg

5Z0MYkR.jpg

NmPEbur.jpg

(I don't know why I decided to switch Bianca from bows to short swords and then challenge the Archwing, but this is what happened. Was fully prepared to just run away toward the end of the battle and keep my skill gains, but he went down at the very last second.)

Vena

Aaaaaand, this is why this game is so addicting.

(I don't know why I decided to switch Bianca from bows to short swords and then challenge the Archwing, but this is what happened. Was fully prepared to just run away toward the end of the battle and keep my skill gains, but he went down at the very last second.)

Bianca is screwy. She learns things super fast.

Wingus

Just learnt the Shield ability 'Stronghold'

It's pretty funny seeing a castle/fort spawn out of Garnet everytime this ability triggers :)

Jims

Bianca is screwy. She learns things super fast.

That's for sure. I think characters seem to learn quicker when fighting big enemies, but her learning a new short sword technique almost every turn was kind of ridiculous. Not that I'm complaining...

I feel like there are definitely hidden weapon/elements affinities for characters, but I wish the developers made it more clear in the game. With something like Fire Emblem's random level ups, I can see why they would want to keep those growth rates under the hood. But a game like this where you're picking one thing and spending time on it, it would be nice to know who is more natural at what. I spent a few hours trying to get Bianca to use bows and Water abilities and she only learned 2 additional bow skills and none of the water abilities. Switch to short swords and she learns almost everything in one boss battle. It's weird.

Vena

That's for sure. I think characters seem to learn quicker when fighting big enemies, but her learning a new short sword technique almost every turn was kind of ridiculous. Not that I'm complaining...

If I want to level/learn skills I'll hunt down either a Titan or a silver/red-Hawk (or did early on, anyway, and later is more spoilerish). You learn very quickly in this situations.

But Biance is in a league of her own when it comes to learning/leveling skills, which makes me wonder if there isn't actually something screwy with her code base. She'll learn so much so quickly that it feels downright unnatural, lol.

alvis.exe

Just beat the
Red Dragon
and only learned two skills. :/

I think it's a sign I need to hurry and just beat the game haha.

alvis.exe

Still can't manage to defeat one of the dragons >_<

Just beat another one :D

Not a single skill learned heh.

I think I may be over"leveled" but I found spamming Air Contract to be the most important thing. The second I let it lapse they'd destroy me and I'd be scrambling to get things back on track.

Reveirg

Just beat another one :D

Not a single skill learned heh.

I think I may be over"leveled" but I found spamming Air Contract to be the most important thing. The second I let it lapse they'd destroy me and I'd be scrambling to get things back on track.

Where did you grind before the dragons?

alvis.exe

Just beat the game! Final battle took forever but I really liked the design of the battlefield. Plus that final boss design is really something hahaha. I doubt I'll do any more playthroughs but I might go back and beat that last miniboss I skipped (
Green Dragon
). And maybe unlock more skills/find more stances.

Overall I thought it was an OK game, though admittedly my main enjoyment came from seeing my characters awaken skills and once that started slowing down I started losing interest in it. I don't mind the lack of story as much (the little glimpses we get have so much potential though :/) but it would have been nice to get more character development especially because I really like all the character designs.

Where did you grind before the dragons?

Did a bit of grinding on the Archwings earlier on but mainly just fought a lot of random battles since they're faster and you still have a good chance of increasing HP/SP off them. I think the best place for skills is on those Armored Stalkers or whatever those alien bug dragon things are in Summit of the Gods before you sell the map. Got most of my late game skills off of those. Just keep resetting the map until you get a mob with just one or two of those guys. Any more and it's kinda touch and go haha.

Top Bottom