• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Legacy |OT| Are these Tales of a SaGa?

Croc

Banned
I'm wondering if instead of needing more HP, you need a higher guard stat? You know the attack/guard/support stance levels also double as your base stats so they're in effect even when you're not in that specific stance. If you haven't had your characters fighting in guard stance enough, their overall defenses are probably too low.
I doubt it. Garnet, who is my defender, has been guarding probably 95% of the time throughout this whole game. The only time she isn't is when there's a weak enemy and I can get it overwith faster by just attacking with all 3. She's got some pretty great defensive abilities too.

IDK, it's probably a combination of both things. I haven't played in a week or two and I'm almost done with finals so I'll probably spend a few hours grinding some day soon.

Taruranto

Got the 3 Singing Shards.

I'm still enjoying the game, but it basically feels very underdeveloped/undercooked in many areas.

The game could have been much more, like for example they could have added a town building aspect to Initium as you progressed through the story. But meh.

Taruranto

I'm apparently at the final dungeon
Summit of the Gods
though I still have a bunch of maps to finish/discover.

Basically, the more I played, the more mediocre the game got. Yes, the art is beautiful, the OST is atmospheric, but everything else felt like they developed it and didn't finish. Even the minimalistic storytelling is way too minimalistic.

Can't even imagine re-playing it other 6 times for the "full" experience. That's bananas.

Mcdohl

I'm apparently at the final dungeon
Summit of the Gods
though I still have a bunch of maps to finish/discover.

Basically, the more I played, the more mediocre the game got. Yes, the art is beautiful, the OST is atmospheric, but everything else felt like they developed it and didn't finish. Even the minimalistic storytelling is way too minimalistic.

Can't even imagine re-playing it other 6 times for the "full" experience. That bananas.

Yup. The lack of storytelling makes the ending not feel epic or climatic imo.

Bog

Junior Ace
This is down to $20 on Amazon. I guess for good reason after reading some impressions in here.

Ourobolus

Banned
Picked this up a few days ago in the Amazon sale. So far I'm enjoying it, just made it to the Valley Ruins. Definitely filling my SaGa void in my life.

It's a tad on the difficult side, as I feel like early on I'm running into plenty of enemies with multi-target attacks that simply aren't easy to avoid via blocking (and I don't seem to have a block skill yet that blocks the entire party at the same time - not individually), which is kicking my ass, especially the bug warrior dudes with the spears in the Ruins. I sparked a bunch of skills fighting the Archwing, but I'll keep at it.

Umibozu

Beat the green dragon, thought it was required to progress. I was wrong. Spent a few hours going through different maps, turns out I had to go to the end of the ship graveyard again.
Picked this up a few days ago in the Amazon sale. So far I'm enjoying it, just made it to the Valley Ruins. Definitely filling my SaGa void in my life.

It's a tad on the difficult side, as I feel like early on I'm running into plenty of enemies with multi-target attacks that simply aren't easy to avoid via blocking (and I don't seem to have a block skill yet that blocks the entire party at the same time - not individually), which is kicking my ass, especially the bug warrior dudes with the spears in the Ruins. I sparked a bunch of skills fighting the Archwing, but I'll keep at it.
use the boat in the town to get better equipment, I recommend the boat that costs 1000. There isn't a special block skill that defends the whole party, but the defend stance with blocking skills will make the block/counter skills affect the party. You should have the water shield, use it as is necessary (very useful for physical attacks and the sandstorm attack). The different stances also affect how your skills grow, and your stats during the turns.

Ourobolus

Banned
Beat the green dragon, thought it was required to progress. I was wrong. Spent a few hours going through different maps, turns out I had to go to the end of the ship graveyard again.

use the boat in the town to get better equipment, I recommend the boat that costs 1000. There isn't a special block skill that defends the whole party, but the defend stance with blocking skills will make the block/counter skills affect the party. You should have the water shield, use it as is necessary (very useful for physical attacks and the sandstorm attack). The different stances also affect how your skills grow, and your stats during the turns.

Yeah, I know that guarding in the guard stance affects the whole party, but you still end up only blocking individual attacks, not AoE. I do use Water Shield, but I don't have the Wind Shard yet so SP goes away quickly.
Currently grinding (read: randomly re-entering areas) in hopes of getting new stances. Taking fucking forever though.

EDIT: and of course when I post I finally find the guy for Ambush. Sigh.

Did they send you a launch edition, by any chance?

Umibozu

Yeah, I know that guarding in the guard stance affects the whole party, but you still end up only blocking individual attacks, not AoE. I do use Water Shield, but I don't have the Wind Shard yet so SP goes away quickly.
Currently grinding (read: randomly re-entering areas) in hopes of getting new stances. Taking fucking forever though.

EDIT: and of course when I post I finally find the guy for Ambush. Sigh.
Yeah, it really seems like you need better equipment then (from the boats). I rarely used sp outside of boss battles or to get out of sticky situations.
Do you have any bow users? They learns some pretty great attacks that attack all enemies and have high attack power.
Did you do any grinding against any shadow giants? Made learning skills a lot easier for me early on.

Ourobolus

Banned
Yeah, it really seems like you need better equipment then (from the boats). I rarely used sp outside of boss battles or to get out of sticky situations.
Do you have any bow users? They learns some pretty great attacks that attack all enemies and have high attack power.
Did you do any grinding against any shadow giants? Made learning skills a lot easier for me early on.

- Yeah, I've done a few boat trips, (1000St) nothing great yet though.
- Nah, I ditched Liber for Filmia, who has a spear which also has some multi-target attacks like Tailspin Slice.
- I did it with the Archwings in Roaring Valley. I got into a fight with a Shadow Giant once, but I couldn't run away?

pronk420

I started the demo but I'm thinking of restarting to play as the frog.. The frog seems the coolest character by far..

Not looking forward to playing the opening all over again though.

Labadal

I meant to restart as the frog guy, I'd have to play the starting bit over again, my plan is to transfer the save data. How long can you play in the demo? And is the frog dude actually cool?
I have only played a little bit. When I got the ability to save, I turned the game off because my battery was dying.

I'm playing as Filmia. Charming frog but the sounds during cutscenes will make me go nuts.

daydream

Banned
so, do you play through all the characters' stories in one playthrough or is it a ng+ sort of situation? cause if it's the former, i'll just go through them in order. if it's the latter, i will have to think about who to pick

Umibozu

so, do you play through all the characters' stories in one playthrough or is it a ng+ sort of situation? cause if it's the former, i'll just go through them in order. if it's the latter, i will have to think about who to pick
ng+
There's not much story to the game. Only in the intro and what randomly your main character recollects when you rest at the inn.

Also your main character is joined by two of the other characters in the beginning. Other characters randomly show up in the town and if you talk to them they join you and you can go to the inn to switch characters around.

daydream

Banned
ng+
There's not much story to the game. Only in the intro and what randomly your main character recollects when you rest at the inn.

Also your main character is joined by two of the other characters in the beginning. Other characters randomly show up in the town and if you talk to them they join you and you can go to the inn to switch characters around.

that's really weird that they give you the option in the beginning, then, if the individual storylines aren't fleshed out. i'd call it misleading, almost

game seems very by-the-numbers judging from the demo but i'll still pick it up

Umibozu

that's really weird that they give you the option in the beginning, then, if the individual storylines aren't fleshed out. i'd call it misleading, almost

game seems very by-the-numbers judging from the demo but i'll still pick it up
I agree that the storylines could have been more fleshed out. Personally though after more than a decade of playing through rpgs with storylines that I increasingly found more and more boring and wanted to skip I found the minimalistic story in this almost refreshing at times.
The little story that's there I see as a reason as to their motivations and why you're progressing as them throughout the story.

Yeah, it's very by the numbers. I would still recommend it if it can be found for a good price.

So even though I tried the demo and read Gaf impressions I'm still unsure about getting this. I mean, love the art style (even if it's a rip on BD) dig the ost. The lack of plot in the demo plus the cumbersome stat levelling and battle system has me wary.

I want to buy it buy will I like it?

Labadal

So even though I tried the demo and read Gaf impressions I'm still unsure about getting this. I mean, love the art style (even if it's a rip on BD) dig the ost. The lack of plot in the demo plus the cumbersome stat levelling and battle system has me wary.

I have only played the demo, just like you but My guess is that the demo is a good representation of the full game.

Ourobolus

Banned
So far I'm having a decent time. Got the three shards, and I'm making my way through the Marsh and the Pit. It's still good, though some of the battles just drag on due to enemy HP, even though I have relatively decent weaponry. Some enemy formations are just brutal though, like the ship-demon enemies in the ship graveyard - 2 attacks per turn each and they do a ton of damage. Even with elemental shields it's rough.

Umibozu

So far I'm having a decent time. Got the three shards, and I'm making my way through the Marsh and the Pit. It's still good, though some of the battles just drag on due to enemy HP, even though I have relatively decent weaponry. Some enemy formations are just brutal though, like the ship-demon enemies in the ship graveyard - 2 attacks per turn each and they do a ton of damage. Even with elemental shields it's rough.
warning; if you dont want to permanently lose your save cat don't
approach it in the bottomless pit
. You can progress through that dungeon without activating the scene. I didn't realise it until it was too late and that I couldn't get the cat back.

Intel_89

Hum, it's about to come out in Europe and I'd like to know if there's more to it than what's showcased in the demo. Thanks.

Zafir

Launch Edition is up on NIS Europe store if anyone cares. It''s rather expensive mind.

£45 + £5 shipping. Comes to £45 if you happened to get one of the coupons they sent out.

Wagram

Anyone still playing this? Just got my second
shard
and having a blast. I really appreciate the fact that the developers understand the users have intelligence. No battles have been unfair thus far, and it takes strategy to beat things.

Haven't played a grindy JRPG like this in awhile though so maybe i'm a bit easy going on it.

Umibozu

Anyone still playing this? Just got my second
shard
and having a blast. I really appreciate the fact that the developers understand the users have intelligence. No battles have been unfair thus far, and it takes strategy to beat things.

Haven't played a grindy JRPG like this in awhile though so maybe i'm a bit easy going on it.
I am still playing it, stuck at the last boss's second form. Going have to do some grinding which doesn't sound too fun.
I would agree that the overall challenge is fun; I also like that it doesn't reward grinding against easier enemies (your stats/abilities grow faster fighting strong enemies).

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

I loved it at first but my opinion soured over time. You spend the vast majority of your time fighting battle after battle after battle. And while the battles felt refreshingly challenging and strategic at first, it soon began to feel like I was just solving the same puzzle over and over.

It also felt like I was either under leveled or over leveled. It never felt like it was in the sweet spot where battles felt challenging but not so tough where I needed to grind.

Wagram

Just made it past the
Ship Graveyard.
Jebus that place was a nightmare.

EDIT: Found the first boss i'll have to grind against. Holy crap poison will be in my nightmares.

Umibozu

You can recruit all the other characters down the road. They randomly show up in town and if you talk to them they join you and then you can switch them at the inn.

I finally started this today.

I was going to pick Eloise for.. science.. but picked Liber because thief fetish (well, treasure hunter, close enough).

Then the first cutscene is him hitting on Eloise and I said "I choose correctly."

So five hours into this, working on the Valley and I'm not sure how I feel about the game.

Love the look, music and the basic combat, really enjoying just exploring and mapping out places thats all great.

Whats really kinda irking me is the thing alot of the reviews warned me on and that's learning new skills, I wish there was a little bit more control on my end to give skills to people so I can build them up how I want to. Or at the very least maybe abit more transparency on getting new skills and not just have them feel way too random.

It just makes alot of the combat meaningless, such as after I've had a really hard fought battle and I end up getting nothing from it, no skills, no money, no drops. Just makes the battles at times feel pointless when that happens.

That said when you go into a battle and end up getting new skills for everyone and a few stat upgrades you feel like a good.

So yeah, so far I am enjoying it, has some niggles, but is alot of fun.

No Europeans are talking about this.

How do you learn magic?
I'm eu, got the game.. But i'm abroad till the19th, so i can only tell you about my suffering..
Making me go abroad the month eo2, lol, digimon, etc come out was a cheap shot from my company...

MLH

No Europeans are talking about this.

How do you learn magic?

Game arrived Monday, I feel like I'm making good progress, I've just reached the Seaside ruins and got the fire contract shard (now own Water, Air & Fire).
I picked Bianca to start and my party is Garnet & Meurs, it's been good so far, Meurs and Bianca have been useful all-rounders casting spells and and dealing damage whereas Garnet is a pure tank.

I'm enjoying it so far, but I do have some annoyances with the game; the randomness of everything is rather off-putting. I sent out a gallery (the biggest ship) in the demo and received a stinger (short short, 43 attack) which I haven't switched out since, same story with the rest of my other weapons & armour, it's pot luck.

Then there are the skills/ arts you learn. I equipped the water contract & healing hands, and during a boss battle I really needed to heal my party member, upon casting it I ended up unlocking a new ability, purify, which was cast instead, and my party member got hit and KOd... incredibly frustrating to lose a turn.
(also, for those that don't know you can simply cast heal on downed party members, there is no revive spell in this game).
I also unlocked the spear skill Deathspike (30 attack 3sp) randomly early on (started with Plunge then unlocked Deathspike), I've not felt the need to use many other skills on that character, which have been weaker (Double Thrust (2sp 12attack)).

Other than the randomness of character growth I'm enjoying this. The music is beautiful, graphics are nice, locations are interesting & feel unique and the story feels minimal and unobtrusive. It's giving me the same feeling that I had playing older JRPGs as a child, I got lost easily, wandering into dangerous territory and losing progress, everything was low detailed and felt open to interpretation/ imagination. It's a novelty for me admittedly, I doubt it'll become a classic but I like it.

Umibozu

Meant to update a while ago, there are more secret areas than previously reported in the shifting sands area (previous areas were cat tree, underground area with dragons, and blue cave). I found two new areas, one was a cliff side where you fight a queen bug and the other was an oasis where you'll see a giant demon guarding a singing shard.
You need to find singing stones on the maps and then equip the stones and then hope the character learns the spell after using it multiple times.

I think, its all very random.
The magic you learn can be random and may not be the one you have equipped, it will still be of the same element though.
I think it just gives a higher probability of learning the one you have equipped

Top Bottom