• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Looks huge and fun. PS2 graphics though... seriously. Washed out and flat with very little detail. I find it hard to believe that it was the actual art direction choice, but more of a hardware limitation for how big the game/world actually is.

Caelus

My apologies for not reading the thread, I'm trying to stay away from coverage as much as possible and I don't know if this is widely known, but I just need to know: are there real ass Zelda style dungeons in this game? Or just lots of "mini dungeons"?

Traditional dungeons have been confirmed for a while now.

Looks huge and fun. PS2 graphics though... seriously. Washed out and flat with very little detail. I find it hard to believe that it was the actual art direction choice, but more of a hardware limitation for how big the game/world actually is.

The graphics are obviously not as detailed or clean as Horizon's but your hyperbole is ridiculous.

DNAbro

My apologies for not reading the thread, I'm trying to stay away from coverage as much as possible and I don't know if this is widely known, but I just need to know: are there real ass Zelda style dungeons in this game? Or just lots of "mini dungeons"?

there are big dungeons, yes. You missed the boat on that info.

mario_O

source.gif

pretty cool.

Astral Dog

Some of the previews criticize the visuals when compared to games like Horizon, but then they say the amount of detail and improvements more then make up for it. Basically, they are saying if they have to find faults (based their early impressions of the game) it would be the visuals but then they all mention the art style or gameplay more then makes up for it.
That and you aren't going to waste pages trashing the visuals of a Wii U game,they know they have to review it for what it is and most of the presentation makes up for the weak visuals.

Tsosie

This game folks. I am so ready. Going to watch the EZA preview and the GameExplain preview and then I am out until launch. See you all in the OT post release.

Thanks for answering so many questions!

Got a small one of mine; are gyro controls for bows/throwing weapons still in? I haven't really seen it happening in the few previews I've watched.

Aiming via motion controls is in. It's defaulted to on actually.

Harmen

This is less because of overall harsher critics and moreso because there's always one or two critics that drag a score down from the 90s to the 80s by giving contrarian scores.

Metacritic should really bring standard deviation into account.

I agree, if you look at score breakdowns of recent hits. However, in the end the difference between, say, a 89 and 91 is only 2/100 and in my opinion it is silly to obsession over that 90 barrier. Especially given it is only an average resulting from differt people. A game that scores high usually has plenty of people thinking it is worth a 90 or 100, sometimes (mostly?) even the majority.

That said, this game will very likely break that 90 barrier in my opinion. And it will also likely have that one significantly lower review that pissses everyone off, haha.

This is probably the first time I am feeling hype for a Zelda title since TTP. This seems to be the shakeup that Zelda, in my opinion, needed and the open world formula fits the franchise extremely well.

I'm sorry, but this should not be tolerable on this website. He literally said PS2 graphics....I can't stand people like you.

Caelus

Is the Wii U image from the E3 build? It'd be insane if the Wii U version looked better.

Yes, it's from the E3 build. They probably disabled that lighting altogether for performance reasons, I don't think the final Wii U build will have it.

Ashby

Shit, I want to have the best experience possible. Should I get the Pro controller? Can you even find one now?

Any comparisons between Wii u and switch? I need to decide if I buy this now or wait until I buy a switch for my family at Christmas time...

This seems like the game 4 year old me playing through Zelda on the NES thought the series would end up being like in the future. I'm so glad they decided to take 3D Zelda in a different direction.

Cartho

I'm pretty new to gaming as I have said, I only started in late 2013, but can someone explain to me why this game isn't getting torn to shreds for it visuals? The pixelation, it is smudgy, barely any detail on anything, the white haze across the screen, etc. I don't know all the proper names for things, sorry.

Is this just the way the games are, or is it because it is Zelda? I have seen games get chopped to bits because of this, I'm just wondering, as I have a Switch on pre-order and I can't wait to play this game. The last Zelda game I played was the first as I have games since the early 90s, so I am still learning my way around this hobby.

No need to beat me up either, I am curious.

Juniors be tag fishing.

If you only started playing games in late 2013, doesn't that contradict the bit where you say you played the first Zelda and played games in the early 90s?

GOD DAMMIT did I just get trolled?

In case you genuinely are serious:
It's not getting torn apart for graphics because it is very deliberately trying to evoke this style. This is a stylistic choice on the part of the devs, not because they just can't program realistic graphics. This style gives is a charm and timeless quality which cannot be said for games which go for the pseudo real look as there will always be later games which surpass them.

Well I guess this is the easiest way to let everyone know you've never played a PS2 before. Posts like this are embarrasing

The graphics are obviously not as detailed or clean as Horizon's but your hyperbole is ridiculous.

Lol it looks like Shadow of the Colossus graphics, a PS2 game. God you fanboys get so defensive. I have a switch pre-ordered and will be getting Zelda day one. I'm just pointing out the obvious visuals. Keep kidding yourself then, its fine.

Greddleok

I was expecting mediocrity, but damn, it's looking fucking good. I really didn't want to buy this day 1...but I think I might after these previews.

Pinky

Banned

mv5a_f-maxage-0.gif

Chaos17

So the only new things I learned that was not already show at E3:
- we can ride a dear
- npcs have schedule like in Majora mask but cant be different depending of weather and day.
- enemies can use the anything to kill you if they can
- you can use guardian to kill other ennemies, lol

Ghostage

Looks absolutely amazing. The only Nintendo console ive bought since the N64 is the 3DS, but i am definitely getting the Switch on day one because of Zelda.

Top Bottom