• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Cloukyo

Banned
Dunno, seems pretty hard to break 90+ these days.

This is less because of overall harsher critics and moreso because there's always one or two critics that drag a score down from the 90s to the 80s by giving contrarian scores.

Metacritic should really bring standard deviation into account.

Why is it still February guys???

large_24086599.png

Fireblend

Banned
I'm pretty new to gaming as I have said, I only started in late 2013, but can someone explain to me why this game isn't getting torn to shreds for it visuals? The pixelation, it is smudgy, barely any detail on anything, the white haze across the screen, etc. I don't know all the proper names for things, sorry.

Is this just the way the games are, or is it because it is Zelda? I have seen games get chopped to bits because of this, I'm just wondering, as I have a Switch on pre-order and I can't wait to play this game. The last Zelda game I played was the first as I have games since the early 90s, so I am still learning my way around this hobby.

No need to beat me up either, I am curious.

People just have different priorities and things they like in video games - I'd say for most graphics are important but not a super high priority. Also everyone already knows what the game looks like, so previews are focusing on other stuff.

Its suffocating your hype because Horizon is a new IP. It has nothing to do with the quality of either games.

I am actually feeling sorry for Zelda right now.Nintendo is hyping this up so much,but its barely catching up to open world/souls-like game design ,and it looks two gens behind.

Hope you'll be on your best behaviour in the review thread.

We absolutely need even more salty console warrior tears in our Switch threads.

I'm pretty new to gaming as I have said, I only started in late 2013, but can someone explain to me why this game isn't getting torn to shreds for it visuals? The pixelation, it is smudgy, barely any detail on anything, the white haze across the screen, etc. I don't know all the proper names for things, sorry.

Is this just the way the games are, or is it because it is Zelda? I have seen games get chopped to bits because of this, I'm just wondering, as I have a Switch on pre-order and I can't wait to play this game. The last Zelda game I played was the first as I have games since the early 90s, so I am still learning my way around this hobby.

Because a great, polished game can transcend technical shortcomings and fortunately, there are still journalists out there who realize this. Trust me, there will be plenty of Gaffers ripping apart this game's visuals at launch. Don't get me wrong, I'd always love for a game to look better, but it's far from a deal breaker when it isn't a technical marvel.

Holy fucking shit at those quotes. Holy. Fucking. Shit.

My wildest dreams are coming true. Hype has smashed all barriers. I can't even.

tCMqSj9.jpg

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
People just have different priorities and things they like in video games - I'd say for most graphics are important but not a super high priority. Also everyone already knows what the game looks like, so previews are focusing on other stuff.

Makes perfect sense, thanks.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member

If a game can prove itself in other ways visuals can be forgiven to a certain extent. Something like GTA3 back in the day had some rough visuals and gameplay but the scope of what it accomplished made those grievances minor nitpicks.

Similar here... what Zelda is doing with this gigantic world and emergent, physics based gameplay far outweighs any visual issues one might have (apparently).

MH did you mess with any of the RGB settings on the switch to get rid of the haze?

Yeah, didn't do anything. Actually, it brought to my attention something that I should fix. Wouldn't let me choose Full Range at all, so Automatic is defaulting to Limited Range. (I selected just Limited Range as well.)

Putting the Switch into and out of the dock... it looks like some of the haze might be an artifact of Docked Mode?

Discomurf

Not trying to rain on the parade or anything, but did someone forget to turn on the dynamic lighting?

Switch:
z-switch9ikqv.png

Wii U:
z-wiiugojnp.png

Forkball

I liked this a lot from the Polygon video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojsc6dg1sjE)

giphy.gif

He ain't coming back from that.

It has a very deliberate art style that may not appeal to everyone, but so far many have said that there are moments that were beautiful. I do agree that it looks hazy at times, but so far hands-on reports really haven't complained about the graphics, so I'm guessing it's not a major negative on the game.

ToD_

Since no one seems to have posted them yet. Here's the screenshot set from the Gamespot Preview. As far as I can tell they are spoiler free.

For some reason some of them are different resolutions. I'm assuming that's because some are handheld and some are docked?

Yes, the 720p screens look native, which means they are likely taken in handheld mode. I'm assuming using the internal screenshot feature.

What's interesting is that video levels are all over the place. The 720p handheld mode captures look perfect in terms of levels. Contrast is where it should be (black at 0, white at 255). I was just looking at the Gamersyde videos and the whites were more in the 235 ballpark, and I noticed that from several other sources as well, creating this washed out look.

Is the system outputting incorrect levels over HDMI?

The Big N

Banned

Some of the previews criticize the visuals when compared to games like Horizon, but then they say the amount of detail and improvements more then make up for it. Basically, they are saying if they have to find faults (based their early impressions of the game) it would be the visuals but then they all mention the art style or gameplay more then makes up for it.

DNAbro

Its suffocating your hype because Horizon is a new IP. It has nothing to do with the quality of either games.

I am actually feeling sorry for Zelda right now.Nintendo is hyping this up so much,but its barely catching up to open world/souls-like game design ,and it looks two gens behind.

hahaha no.

Plum

Yeah, didn't do anything. Actually, it brought to my attention something that I should fix. Wouldn't let me choose Full Range at all, so Automatic is defaulting to Limited Range. (I selected just Limited Range as well.)

Putting the Switch into and out of the dock... it looks like some of the haze might be an artifact of Docked Mode?

Thanks for answering so many questions!

Got a small one of mine; are gyro controls for bows/throwing weapons still in? I haven't really seen it happening in the few previews I've watched.

Not trying to rain on the parade or anything, but did someone forget to turn on the dynamic lighting?

Switch:
z-switch9ikqv.png

Wii U:
z-wiiugojnp.png

Been talked about for a month at this point. Certain technical aspects were likely toned down in both versions of the game to enhance performance. Or for stylistic reasons.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Because a great, polished game can transcend technical shortcomings and fortunately, there are still journalists out there who realize this. Trust me, there will be plenty of Gaffers ripping apart this game's visuals at launch. Don't get me wrong, I'd always love for a game to look better, but it's far from a deal breaker when it isn't a technical marvel.

If a game can prove itself in other ways visuals can be forgiven to a certain extent. Something like GTA3 back in the day had some rough visuals and gameplay but the scope of what it accomplished made those grievances minor nitpicks.

Similar here... what Zelda is doing with this gigantic world and emergent, physics based gameplay far outweighs any visual issues one might have (apparently).

I can't believe this will be my first Zelda game in 20 something years, I am stoked. I may have to go back and try and play some of the others. I may have missed out on a lot of great games.

Chaos17

Loved GTA 3.
I miss Nico :(

Nugg

My apologies for not reading the thread, I'm trying to stay away from coverage as much as possible and I don't know if this is widely known, but I just need to know: are there real ass Zelda style dungeons in this game? Or just lots of "mini dungeons"?

Have you tried the amiibo's functionality?

Not yet. They sent two over, but I haven't touched them.

Did you spend any time playing in this mode significantly? Is it a viable way to play, is the landscape specific enough that you can navigate without the mini-map, or would you recommend playing with the mini-map?

It's not my jam. I live by the sound sensor, though you couldn't probably get by with audible sound.

Yes, the 720p screens look native, which means they are likely taken in handheld mode. I'm assuming using the internal screenshot feature.

What's interesting is that video levels are all over the place. The 720p handheld mode captures look perfect in terms of levels. Contrast is where it should be (black at 0, white at 255). I was just looking at the Gamersyde videos and the whites were more in the 235 ballpark, and I noticed that from several other sources as well, creating this washed out look.

Is the system outputting incorrect levels over HDMI?

See above.

I hadn't thought of this until Eloquent brought up the RGB color, but I think this might be the problem.

Top Bottom