• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

kc44135

Damn, these previews make the game sound incredible. I just wish I knew how the Wii U version of the game was shaping up, as it's how I'll be playing it if I do get it next week. Those Digital Foundry impressions of it from last year (and the fact that we haven't seen anything of it since then) do not inspire confidence. :(

NSESN

Information overload
Also, if the game is already hard as it is, i wonder what they are going to with the dlc hard mode.

wrowa

I'm having such a hard time not clicking on anything and just watch quotes and gifs lol.

Since people aren't allowed to talk about a lot of stuff and/or have only played the final game for a few hours, most previews don't actually contain anything we haven't heard about already.

Coffinhal

I liked this a lot from the Polygon video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojsc6dg1sjE)

giphy.gif

He did try to avoid the laser though

LaneDS

Damn, these previews make the game sound incredible. I just wish I knew how the Wii U version of the game was shaping up, as it's how I'll be playing it if I do get it next week. Those Digital Foundry impressions of it from last year (and the fact that we haven't seen anything of it since then) do not inspire confidence. :(

Yeah, trying to stay out of the thread, but are folks interested in the Wii U version going to have to wait until release date to find out how it is? Considering buying that one for my brother, but want to know how it is beforehand.

Alrus

I'm really excited for this. 2017 is shaping up to one hell of a year for games.

Also the March NPD thread is going to be insufferable.

br3wnor

Man these previews are insane. Supremely jealous of the Wii U/Switch owners who are going to get to enjoy this game next week.

I think that's basic Switch functionality, but my Pro Controller isn't right here, so I can't try it out.

I wrote the preview at around 6 hours, shaving off the last... hourish of stuff. This is part of why I recorded everything, so I knew what I was doing when.

I edited it knowing more, but I didn't add anything, soooooooo.

Left bumper is Sheik Tablet abilties, Left trigger is shield, Right bumper is throw weapon, Right trigger is Bow and Arrow.

The Pro toggle is your only option. It gets rid of the mini-map. All that's left is your heart counter.

Did you spend any time playing in this mode significantly? Is it a viable way to play, is the landscape specific enough that you can navigate without the mini-map, or would you recommend playing with the mini-map?

Rodin

One fight with a giant in a forest saw a tree get knocked down with an errant bomb blast, at which point the monster decided to pick up the fallen trunk and start using it as a cudgel.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/24/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-hands-on-preview-eye-opener-6470487/

OMG!

Another thing i thought was going to be in the game when i saw that
you could cut down trees and that giant enemies
were in. And yup, it's in.

Have any previews commented on the emptiness of the world yet?

Yes. It's the exact opposite of empty.

I would be lying if I denied my itch to buy a switch and zelda right now, but I need to wait a few weeks before I do so for money and work reasons.

It hurts.

Chaos17

Since no one seems to have posted them yet. Here's the screenshot set from the Gamespot Preview. As far as I can tell they are spoiler free.

For some reason some of them are different resolutions. I'm assuming that's ebcause some are handheld and some are docked?

I think it's more because the screen capture of the switch is bad. One the authors in the preview complained about it. I don't remember wich one. Saying it's taking screenshots in jpg.

branny

I'm going into this game mostly blind, but I'm happy to hear it being compared to NES Zelda since 3D Zelda doesn't really do it for me.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I'm pretty new to gaming as I have said, I only started in late 2013, but can someone explain to me why this game isn't getting torn to shreds for it visuals? The pixelation, it is smudgy, barely any detail on anything, the white haze across the screen, etc. I don't know all the proper names for things, sorry.

Is this just the way the games are, or is it because it is Zelda? I have seen games get chopped to bits because of this, I'm just wondering, as I have a Switch on pre-order and I can't wait to play this game. The last Zelda game I played was the first as I have games since the early 90s, so I am still learning my way around this hobby.

No need to beat me up either, I am curious.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
This is torture. Why'd all the great games have to be mere weeks apart (or releasing in the same week)? I'm probably going to drop most of what I'm playing when Zelda comes out. This hype is killing me

Wew, they really managed to make the new Ocarina Of Time.

I never felt like Zelda would have another OOT moment but I agree that BOTW has done it. With the emergence of VR and Nintendo's willingness to shake-up Zelda games, I think eventually another OOT sort of moment will come with a Zelda title after BOTW

Astral Dog

Since no one seems to have posted them yet. Here's the screenshot set from the Gamespot Preview. As far as I can tell they are spoiler free.

For some reason some of them are different resolutions. I'm assuming that's because some are handheld and some are docked?
Omg look at those graphics :O

Top Bottom