• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Wii-U Shown at Nintendo Digital Event ["2015"]

Sundown

Banned
Genuine question, if I jump into Zelda this late into the game after having not played the games since Ocarina of Time when I was kid, can I still understand the plot? This game looks absolutely gorgeous and can easily sell me on a Wii U if it's accessible to newbies like me.

Monocle

Whoa, yes please.

Nintendo brought their A game to E3 this year. Pretty much all of their first-party stuff looks fantastic.

The_Lump

Banned
I absolutely love what i saw, but my problem is that we saw so little. I mean, nintendo brought little else that was new and exciting, especially compared to both MS and Sony, so why then show so little of the one unannounced game that can build hype for nintendo? Its not like anything else really stood out on the scale that one expects at an E3 event.

Plenty of people here happy with the other games Nintendo has shown - myself included. But each to their own of course.

I personally thought Splatoon and Yoshi WW stood out on the scale I expect from e3. But again; opinions :)

Riki

Genuine question, if I jump into Zelda this late into the game after having not played the games since Ocarina of Time when I was kid, can I still understand the plot? This game looks absolutely gorgeous and can easily sell me on a Wii U if it's accessible to newbies like me.
Each game is completely stand alone outside of easter eggs.

LegendX48

Every game is a stand alone experience.

edit: someone beat me to it, ah well.

stufte

Plot is usually on a game to game basis. There might be some fan service scattered around, but you won't be missing out on anything pivotal to the plot.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Theres a giant backlog of great games plus mk8 and smash theres really no reason not to own one. He can work through those until zelda comes out.

Yeah, if you're buying a Wii-U anyway, might as well buy it now and the enjoy the great exclusives while you wait for Zelda.

Sure, if you wait a year you might save $50 to $100 on the hardware, but I'd rather pay the money and enjoy it now.
If I had any money... I really need a second job to pay for my many hobbies.

Woffls

You can still play every Zelda as if it's an isolated game. All you'll lose out on is crazy timeline stuff that's confusing as hell anyway. You can play a lot of Zelda games on a Wii U.

Axass

This is going to be the new "best game ever" when it comes out. I'm feeling it.

I mean, I cried for a fucking reveal trailer.

Every game is its own story, you don't have to pay attention to the overall timeline to enjoy the series.

RevySubterfuge

Neo Member
I know last year they said they'd be combining previous Zelda elements (well duh) with the new game, but I wasn't expecting that graphic style. It does seem reminiscent of Wind Waker while taking the art from Skyward Sword/Twilight Princess and obviously improving it with HD quality. I wasn't expecting that but am quite pleased with the result.

You have no idea who I'd kill to get my hands on that game... or, more realistically, how much debt I'll take to get the Wii U for that game.

Riki

Can I just say it?
No game has any right to be this pretty.
I don't know how Nintendo does it.
And you can scream "TARGET RENDER!" all you want, but come on. That's really not Nintendo's style.
It might have been a pre-rendered scene but I bet anything it was fully running inside the game's engine.

hetchi

The Legend of Zelda games are always fun. If you get a Wii U, you can play Wind Waker HD, Skyward Sword, and Twilight Princess. All Wii titles are compatible on the Wii U.

EDIT: You will need a wii motion plus controller and nunchuk for Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess. The Wii U comes with a GamePad

I think as a teaser, it was honestly kind of unexciting?

But finding out it's in-engine, from people I'm relatively sure don't lie about that, that really excites me.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Can I just say it?
No game has any right to be this pretty.
I don't know how Nintendo does it.
And you can scream "TARGET RENDER!" all you want, but come on. That's really not Nintendo's style.
It might have been a pre-rendered scene but I bet anything it was fully running inside the game's engine.

Nintendo confirmed it was in-engine. This is not target render.

GrayDock

That first whole world picture will be my wallpaper for a loooong time.

This style is so amazing that I don't even want the mature Link from the first demo on the WiiU.

Link being chased across a field/into the woods by a giant destructive monster, plus the art style, was very Princess Mononoke.

I know it's been said, but still.

When they were talking about a Wind Waker 2 just before TP was announced, I imagined what a WW/Ocarina mashup might look like. This looks like exactly that, except far more expansive in scope, and more beautifully animated.

Gorgeous.

Riki

This already looks very pretty, but I hope that it's much better than SS, which I thought was dull.

Well the fact that you can explore the world seems to add a lot of variety to the series already.

I think as a teaser, it was honestly kind of unexciting?

But finding out it's in-engine, from people I'm relatively sure don't lie about that, that really excites me.

It's very exciting. The teaser was a bit too short, but over all, it looks amazing and I can't get enough of it.

Sundown

Banned
Each game is completely stand alone outside of easter eggs.

Every game is a stand alone experience.

edit: someone beat me to it, ah well.

Plot is usually on a game to game basis. There might be some fan service scattered around, but you won't be missing out on anything pivotal to the plot.

You can still play every Zelda as if it's an isolated game. All you'll lose out on is crazy timeline stuff that's confusing as hell anyway. You can play a lot of Zelda games on a Wii U.

This is going to be the new "best game ever" when it comes out. I'm feeling it.

I mean, I cried for a fucking reveal trailer.

Every game is its own story, you don't have to pay attention to the overall timeline to enjoy the series.

The Legend of Zelda games are always fun. If you get a Wii U, you can play Wind Waker HD, Skyward Sword, and Twilight Princess. All Wii titles are compatible on the Wii U.

EDIT: You will need a wii motion plus controller and nunchuk for Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess. The Wii U comes with a GamePad

Thanks for the responses everyone. I did not know every Zelda title was standalone but I am absolutely excited to play the new one. Maybe I'll pick up a Wii U before it launches and play the older ones first. Very excited. Thanks a lot.

mrkgoo

Skyward sword was already in between wind waker and twilight princess to me, style-wise. This just seems in between wind waker and skyward sword again.

Looks great!

I loved skyward sword but I hoping for a more open world experience.

Can't wait!

Ito

OP3_1920x1080.jpg

yes.jpg

I don't know why I did this, but I did anyway.

mHGqx0q.jpg

Hopefully this time no one will fall for it.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Plenty of people here happy with the other games Nintendo has shown - myself included. But each to their own of course.

I personally thought Splatoon and Yoshi WW stood out on the scale I expect from e3. But again; opinions :)

I agree that Splatoon looked cool, and it may stand out in the Wii U lineup because it is so scarce. However, once you bring MS and Sony into the mix, id say that Splatoon would be the equivalent of a neat, more ambitious indie game, and we saw plenty of those during the other conferences. To me it looks like a really neat smaller title, but it doesnt make up for the fact that Nintendo brought us basically nothing big that we werent already aware of, except for a few seconds of the new Zelda game.

johnod10

Neo Member
My first post on the GAF, but just had to say this game has made me want to go out and buy a Wii u! This looks like Nintendo is paying attention to those older fans..can't wait

balgajo

Why do so many zelda fans get so mad about any mention of a female link?

Maybe because most of us consider Link only being a male reincarnation and also an estabilished character with few tweaks in each iteration.
I'm pissed because I didn't like his face, can't even imagine if he were a woman.

Top Bottom