• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Medium is Xbox Series X console exclusive. Cannot be done on current gen

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
doubt it, apparently MS signed a publishing deal with that studio

I just don't see it being that valuable a property to justify more than a short exclusivity window.

By comparison consider Blair Witch, which got a similar push from MS as an exclusive and ended up on PS4 4 months later.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
It is the lies of the developers, it is easy to see it.

Actually the trailer is just a CGI Promotion and there are few moments in gameplay.

Lets see.... lets compare Until Dawn, The last of Us Part 2, Death stranding, In Graphics these games are better and in Tech impression. and the are games that only reach 70% of PS4 Normal Capacity ... Maybe TLOU PART II Could reach 80%

Why this "Next gen game" could be impossible if you can see is a Normal Graphics ... arent big deal.

I dare to say that even the Graphics is for a 2016 game.

Settle down a bit with throwing around statements like “liars” and the like unless you have proof to back up that statement.

There are technical reasons being described as to why that is, and it’s not always about image quality, but level design and other aspects.. With that said, I think the game looks fascinating and was the one that stood out to me the most.

yurinka

What gameplay mechanics can not be done in current gen? The swap between dimensions? We saw many games that did that in the past since -as I remember- the SNES with games like Chrono Trigger or Zelda.

I assume they may mean that with HDD it would require too much loading times so they'd have to include a loading screen in the way they designed the game.

So are Skorn and Medium timed or full console exclusive. I hate that they are never up front on that both Xbox and Sony.
I assume that like in most of these AA cases it will be a 6 months or 1 year timed console exclusive.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
They cannot fooled me.

This game can be perfectly accessible on XBOX ONE AND PS4.

What happens is that they don't want to do it.

From what I have seen, the graphics are not a big deal, what happens is that they want it to be one of the few games available in the launch catalog and to monopolize the sales of the consoles with launch of xbox one series x.

But by lies, Sean Murray was better.
I hope it's as good as the trailer. It's one of the few that really impressed me and look forward to. And I'm happy it's a XSX exclusive. We need more of this.

What gameplay mechanics can not be done in current gen? The swap between dimensions? We saw many games that did that in the past since -as I remember- the SNES with games like Chrono Trigger or Zelda.

I assume they may mean that with HDD it would require too much loading times so they'd have to include a loading screen in the way they designed the game.

I think that swap can happen in realtime during gameplay - with no pause to load - quickly cacheing the other dimension. I'm thinking that is what they are saying would not be possible otherwise.

I assume that like in most of these AA cases it will be a 6 months or 1 year timed console exclusive.

So why not just say that. Its really annoying

Just did some reading and saw that The Medium and Scorn will be launch on Gamepass for Series X and PC day 1 that is freaking awesome i would not buy any of this game but thanks to gamepass i can play it on day 1 crazy value hope many more games are launching on gamepass day 1 seem to me gamepass is the future of gaming.

Kagey K

Banned
I’ll believe it when I see it. So far, we’ve only seen the visuals but not the mechanics.
If you’ve ever played Layers of Fear and saw what they did with the hallways, I imagine it could be so much better when they have 2 worlds to work with.

It could be a crazy mindfuck.

Last edited:

Shmunter

1587124320879s.jpg

oldergamer

It's just a cutscene. You blend two simple images, that's it. If it was done while moving through the level, that'd be a totally different story.
That actually looks like real time gameplay to me.
Based on what they were doing in 2016

They do a lot of fast transitions between things the user can see when looking closer at things. if they are indeed doing more then that now, i can see why they would need next gen hardware.

Bankai

Good to hear! Not excited AT ALL for all them ported games (with extra features) being held back by current-gen, weak Xbox One.

oldergamer

So the game is only possible on next gen due to the SSD & IO for seamless world transitions. Interesting. GAF almost had me convinced we'd only see faster loading times
Ugh, this again? faster load time is exactly related to SSD and IO. There are other features of the new console that can't be replicated at decent performance levels on current gen, you know. There's more to it then just the SSD.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Good to hear! Not excited AT ALL for all them ported games (with extra features) being held back by current-gen, weak Xbox One.
... and this again? the older hardware isn't holding back pushing graphics on the newer hardware ( Crysis still proves that). Depends what the game is doing and what the developer needs. For all you or I know, the reason they want to be xsx exclusive is due to the overall performance.

Ugh, this again? faster load time is exactly related to SSD and IO. There are other features of the new console that can't be replicated at decent performance levels on current gen, you know. There's more to it then just the SSD.

Never said there wasn't more to it, just parroting the explanations of others. But lease do continue crying about SSD being mentioned, it tickles me

oldergamer

Never said there wasn't more to it, just parroting the explanations of others. But lease do continue crying about SSD being mentioned, it tickles me
Why do you need to "parrot" others? Try thinking for yourself.

Crying? lol, I'm doing far less crying then some of the sony fans in Xbox related threads. SSD = faster load times, there, are you happy. If you really think its capable of more than that, then feel free to explain how/why

Last edited:

Shmunter

Why do you need to "parrot" others? Try thinking for yourself.

Crying? lol, I'm doing far less crying then some of the sony fans in Xbox related threads. SSD = faster load times, there, are you happy. If you really think its capable of more than that, then feel free to explain how/why
I think this game in particular takes advantage of streaming by replacing a whole new world in real-time. Yes technically fast loading, but streaming seams to be the official terminology when new assets are bought into play in real time.

Sort of like streaming video, you don’t Load it all before playing it, you progressively stream it as you watch it.

Current gen, aka hard drives would be too slow to stream in that world without actually waiting for it to load, crippling the core vision of the game.

Last edited:

yurinka

I think that swap can happen in realtime during gameplay - with no pause to load - quickly cacheing the other dimension. I'm thinking that is what they are saying would not be possible otherwise.
Yes, with time and resources everything can be done, maybe tweaking some level design and so on if needed. But it's an option to decide they only care about next gen and not be limited by the previous one even if with some effort the game could be put there.

Remember that sometimes some indies can't release a game at the same time in different consoles of the same generation at the same time because they don't have resources, so when they are from different generations it should be even more difficult and expensive.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
So you think it's looking too good to be true but a the same time you think it's not a next gen game, despite only launching n a next gen console?
i bet my games and my money that, will be a Downgrade that the trailer show.

Probably is one of the cases like Watchdogs or No mans sky.... Many lies with the time will see the truth.

But for me.... this game IS NOT NEXT GEN

This isn’t much to say really.

Their last title couldn’t be done on the gen they made it for - it ran like dog shit considering it was an indie walk-a-thon

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
If there are games that aren't possible to downscale to current-gen, that just makes me more upset Microsoft isn't making any first-party next-gen-only games now.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Youre WAY out of your depth here dude, You should let it go before someone with real knowledge of how this stuff works, comes in this thread and spanks you in front of everybody. That shits embarrassing AF.
It will be reality, I do not think that the change of world is completely different, at most a change of skin but with slight differences

The problem is that as I mentioned earlier, graphically it is not a next gen wonder, it looks like 2016 or 2017 graphics if you want to see it.

The point I am referring to is that it is possible that it came out on XBOX ONE X OR PS4.

If by the transition of worlds they mean, do not expect totally different worlds, I from the experience I have seen in the industry, it is most likely that they will be different skins with slight modifications.

But that's how I see it. I hope and if it is a game where the promises keep

NullZ3r0

Banned

You have never seen what amounts to a new level's worth of geometry and textures loaded in real-time. The transition we saw was not re-skinning the same geometry, like past games did, but a whole new level is loaded. If this is really what is happening, then that's a gratuitously impressive demonstration of the Velocity Architecture.

But we don't know for sure. If this is true, then what a waste of time this event was from MS. I'd rather they pick 6 games and give each dev 5 minutes talking about how the game takes advantage of Xbox Series X and why it can't be done on current consoles.

yurinka

You have never seen what amounts to a new level's worth of geometry and textures loaded in real-time. The transition we saw was not re-skinning the same geometry, like past games did, but a whole new level is loaded. If this is really what is happening, then that's a gratuitously impressive demonstration of the Velocity Architecture.

But we don't know for sure. If this is true, then what a waste of time this event was from MS. I'd rather they pick 6 games and give each dev 5 minutes talking about how the game takes advantage of Xbox Series X and why it can't be done on current consoles.
The animation we saw could just be a cinematic or CG. We'd need to see the level itself, its total size and to see if textures and geometry could be reduced enough.

Top Bottom