• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Gear Solid Master Collection isn’t a native 1080p on PS5/XSX. It’s just 720p upconverted to 1080p.

Gojiira

This is why original PS1-PS2-PS3 versions are always going to be the definitive versions, no cuts, no edits, more content, as they were intended. Fuck Konami, they had one job here.

mrcroket

Didn't you guys read the second point? Variable framerate archivable WTF? So it can drop frames? PS2 games at 720p dropping frames on PS4/5? Or maybe sub 30 fps switch version?

My godness.

Last edited:
Damn I just listened to the Retronauts episode where they ranked the MG games today. Really got me in the mood to play through all of them. Why does this not include Peacewalker like the PS360 collection did?

This is disappointing, but I’ll probably still buy this just because it gives me access to games older than MGS2 and 3 that would otherwise be a pain in the ass to find a way to play.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I still have these seems like there is no reason to "upgrade"

image_0cf06756-d86a-4b5a-9d59-97a07fa8ff0d.heic

Last edited:

fatmarco

So if you already own the 360 HD Collection, you're basically being forced to play 60 dollars for a 4:3 port of Metal Gear Solid 1 running at 1080p plus refreshed achievements?

I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing the Master Collection versions of 2 and 3 versus that HD Collection running on a SX.

You can totally see something like anisotropic filtering (because it's always the one visual quality of life feature that's dumped on console games for whatever reason) being set to a low setting, when the One X and S/X BC version already has 16xAF.

Majormaxxx

"Upconverted" ???

So basically exactly the same as most 360 and ps3 games which were also "upconverted" and displayed in 1080p if the console was set to output in this resolution, unless the game specifically forced 720p. The games were almost all actually rendered in 720p or less with some exceptions like GT6 (1080 horizontal resolution), Lair (1080p), Ridge Racer 6 (810p), Ridge Racer 7 (1080p).

So this collection is a total waste - considering it was also BC on xbox...

This is some misleading ass BS, Konami.

Poop effort.

Red5

Eh still will get it on a discount on Steam.

It's like getting the PS3 HD collection but on PC.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Maybe someday it’ll be on Gamepass and I’ll mess with MGS3.

Otherwise fingers crossed some modders can get 1440p and 4k native resolutions added.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Waitaminute.... Slow it down.

You mean to tell me that the games only upscale to 1080p. Like, it's not rendering natively at 1080? It's rendering 720 and just being upscaled to 1080? Like... if it's already that lazy, then why not just upscale to 4K?

If it's already a cheat and a lie, couldn't they at least have cheated to get a better fake resolution?

Such a clown show.
If they actually were using the emulated versions of MGS1/2/3 they could use what Sony calls up rendering (essentially rendering the scene like 4 times with very slightly different camera position / shifted view frustum and then merging the output… you get anti aliasing effect like FSAA and you do not have to change the graphics pipeline at all, so even better from an emulation point of view).

But I bet they are not going through something like that 😂.

It is odd they are not upscaling to 4K if they are just doing simple upscaling. They are doing native XSX and PS5 versions (haptics feedback implementation would not be there and seemingly good if they were running in PS4 BC mode for example… so it is confusing and maybe not the shittiest of the upscaling methods they could use…).

Last edited:

Famipan

I hooked up my PS3 and cleaned up my sticky DS3 joysticks with isoprop alcohol so I will just play my Legacy Collection I still haven’t finished.
The LG C1 does an an amazing job upscaling 720p as long as I use Standard Mode, and I also use Truemotion on Smooth or Natural to get fake 60fps. The input lag hasn’t been noticeable bad for me on PS4 in Bloodborne at least.

The analog face buttons are also only available on DS3 and DS2. I don’t remember if they work in Legacy Collection on PS3 though…

Last edited:

Soodanim

I thought we knew this. Or maybe that was my assumption based on the info when it landed.

I'll see how people fix the PC versions, then judge based on that. I'll want them for collection/access purposes but not that badly that I'll pay full price for an awful release.

RaduN

It a damn shame because it looks like a nice package

Wow, at first glance all the post processing effects from ps2 (depth of field, advanced blending accuracy, advanced bloom) are missing from Snake Eater. It looks so much worse than it does on ps2.
I think this remaster is the same or even worse than the ps3/360 ones, which also had fucked up graphics.
Fucking shit show.

Last edited:

Senua

And we still have MGS fans buying this day one. On multiple platforms, too.
I feel bad for people who don't go on forum or anything and just see this collection and think "oh I liked those games when i was a kid" and buy it. But anyone who browses gaf/REEE/gaming reddits, knows the issues and still buys this shite, they get what they deserve.

VulcanRaven

So if you already own the 360 HD Collection, you're basically being forced to play 60 dollars for a 4:3 port of Metal Gear Solid 1 running at 1080p plus refreshed achievements?

I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing the Master Collection versions of 2 and 3 versus that HD Collection running on a SX.

You can totally see something like anisotropic filtering (because it's always the one visual quality of life feature that's dumped on console games for whatever reason) being set to a low setting, when the One X and S/X BC version already has 16xAF.
I think you can buy MGS1 separately after the release. Based on the gameplay videos it doesn't look like it will be even HD. It looks very blurry.

Last edited:

whyman

Can’t they just keep the pachinko rights for MGS give everything else to Kojima (ownership) and then take a 1% royalty on any MGS releases. They would make more money.

Stallone

Neo Member
Can't wait to hear Meryl to look at the back of the box for her frequency, and there won't be any fruickin screenshot anywhere to find in this piece of shit compilation

dotnotbot

I'd wait for the release before spitting on Konami. I think that table is just poorly worded and/or translated, no way those aren't native 1080p.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Lazy port from a lazy publisher.

The Quake 2 remaster has updated visuals, all expansion packs and a ton more for £7.99. Yet, Konami want to charge me £50 for this weak, pathetic, boby basic port? Pathetic.

I'll pick it up when it's £10 or less, because that's all it's worth.

Lol Konami not even pretending to give a shit at this point. This is the same fucking game they released years ago on PS3/360 but are going to charge £50 for it. Lazy fucking cunts.

Top Bottom