• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Gear Solid Master Collection isn’t a native 1080p on PS5/XSX. It’s just 720p upconverted to 1080p.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It appears MGS1 is censored too, the guard thats knocked out and bent over on the floor butt ass naked now has pants on.
johnny_sasaki_unconsc1tiqp.jpg

Although I believe different regions had this
But it is now present in the UK one which it wasn't before
nudity.jpg

😐

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

That pisses me off so much and I don't know why.

Bums and winkys were a trademark Kojima thing. Every game has asses up front and 2 onwards always had someone grabbing someone's winky at some point.

radewagon

Has there ever been a collection release that isn't shittier than every emulation option available?
If we don't count mods for those aforementioned original versions, then yeah. Off the top of my head, the PS3 Shadow of the Colossus/Ico collection was amazing. HD graphics, smooth framerate, and substantive 3D made this the best way to play both games. Street Fighter Alpha Anthology is notable for having Alpha 3 with most of the additional characters as well as including Alpha 2 Gold. Then there's the wealth of compilations from developer M2. While few collections can match emulation, that's understandable since a collection would need to fundamentally change something about the included games in order to make the games "better" than the originals. Once a dev starts doing that, though, you start entering remake territory.

These collections don't exist, I think, to improve on what emulation can offer. They exist to be A) compatible with current gen consoles, B) offer a user-friendly entry point, and C) provide a legal avenue for playing what are typically out of print titles. Emulation is great, but I love having official releases even if and when emulation can match the experience.

TGO

So my PS3 HD collection is the same as this?
Yes and no, Konami has fixed a lot of stuff from the HD Collection which make it look more like the original releases
169797428618886191csq.png

but it still renders at the same resolution as HD Collection did
Seriously if this was 4k60 it would be an amazing Collection but there had to be catch.

Last edited:
If we don't count mods for those aforementioned original versions, then yeah. Off the top of my head, the PS3 Shadow of the Colossus/Ico collection was amazing. HD graphics, smooth framerate, and substantive 3D made this the best way to play both games. Street Fighter Alpha Anthology is notable for having Alpha 3 with most of the additional characters as well as including Alpha 2 Gold. Then there's the wealth of compilations from developer M2. While few collections can match emulation, that's understandable since a collection would need to fundamentally change something about the included games in order to make the games "better" than the originals. Once a dev starts doing that, though, you start entering remake territory.

These collections don't exist, I think, to improve on what emulation can offer. They exist to be A) compatible with current gen consoles, B) offer a user-friendly entry point, and C) provide a legal avenue for playing what are typically out of print titles. Emulation is great, but I love having official releases even if and when emulation can match the experience.
Thanks for that answer. Reading my post again, it spunded like I was smartassing but I really did wonder what collections are actually a fucking good product out there. I've only bought maybe two that I can recall being truly great and one was actually an SF one (forgot which) and the other the Shadow/Ico one.

I guess I view them differently. I expect the definite way to play these games when officially re-released. This version of MGS1, fo example, is silly to me because it takes 5 minutes of effort to play something superior via emulation. But you make a good point...convenience sometimes beats having to fuck with PC software and all.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes and no, Konami has fixed a lot of stuff from the HD Collection which make it look more like the original releases

Seriously if this was 4k60 it would be an amazing Collection but there had to be catch.

Wait, confirmed it's rendering 720p still ?

What a bummer.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

What good is 4k gonna do in these games ? It would just look worse

JimboJones

It appears MGS1 is censored too, the guard thats knocked out and bent over on the floor butt ass naked now has pants on.

nudity.jpg

😐
It's kinda funny, behind that pixelation filter is a pixelated asshole.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

nudity.jpg

😐

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that already a regional difference for the original game's release ?

edit: yeah, apparently it was like this in the original JP release with other versions adding a pixelated butt. The shorts were also there in the Integral version, which is likely the base for this MGS1 port.

• Johnny Sasaki (the jail guard in Meryl's cell) wears shorts after he is knocked unconscious and stripped of his uniform. In the international versions, he is left completely naked instead, with a pixelated effect covering his buttocks.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

These games deserved to get a remake with new assets and visuals, exactly the same but completely updated graphics. This shit is terrible.

I'll buy this when it's in the bargain bin or play when given on Plus or GP or whatever.

Last edited:

RaduN

These games deserved to get a remake with new assets and visuals, exactly the same but completely updated graphics. This shit is terrible.

I'll buy this when it's in the bargain bin or play when given on Plus or GP or whatever.
If MGS:Delta, which is exactly that, sells enough, they will...maybe.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Ok… this is… grumble… a good fix… grumble…

VulcanRaven

nudity.jpg

😐
I think the default version is the one from your region. Others are separate downloads.

Last edited:

Elios83

78 metacritic, reviews are generally good, the lack of significant technical advancements hasn't been considered a deal breaker.

Edit: wanted to post this in the OT for the game, sorry for the double post

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

78 metacritic, reviews are generally good, the lack of significant technical advancements hasn't been considered a deal breaker.
Sad, this shows the reviews system is kind of broken consumer side wise.

MrA

Banned
It's fitting because in this game peter is kinda of an asshole, so...
He is in the comics too, one time he back handed a pregnant Mary Jane through a wall and its never mentioned again, he stole the life of the real Peter parker and they just hand waves all the evidence that he was the clone away. oh and that time he murdered an entire small town and its never mentioned again
The clone saga was bonkers

TGO

So, Kojima not mentioned in credits.
I've seen this going the rounds
His name is in the game credits, just like they was originally I assuming the Master Collection has got a separate Credits too and that's what they on about and he isn't mentioned there because why would be?

TrebleShot

His name is in the game credits, just like they was originally I assuming the Master Collection has got a separate Credits too and that's what they on about and he isn't mentioned there because why would be?
Too lazy to remove his name , disgusting

AREYOUOKAY?

Does the Psycho Mantis fight still have the HIDEO text?

Last edited:

TGO

Does Psycho Mantis still have the HIDEO text?
Yes and you can load virtual saves to gamecard built into the collection for Mantis to read.
You can also swap controller ports in the menu

Drizzlehell

Banned

Just finished watching. Man, we're so lucky that Bluepoint remastered 2 and 3 back in 2011 because Konami being Konami, they've put absolutely no effort into this version lol.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Just finished watching. Man, we're so lucky that Bluepoint remastered 2 and 3 back in 2011 because Konami being Konami, they've put absolutely no effort into this version lol.

I prefer raw dogging the ports rather than bluepoint ruining artstyle in shadow of the colossus and demons souls....
The best work bluepoint did was in UC collection although it has some bugs.

YCoCg

well.. yes. Better than nothing.
360/ps3 games do benefit from higher res, 60fps and aa so they could do that
But that would mean MGS4 would be lower res than even this collection (which is using the HD Collections resolution of 1280x720) and MGS4 has much higher texture detail and assets compared to those games and looks great in 4k. Fun little fact, in press kits for the game Konami sent out screenshots rendered at 2x the resolution of the game.

Top Bottom