• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Gear Solid Master Collection isn’t a native 1080p on PS5/XSX. It’s just 720p upconverted to 1080p.

Dr.Morris79

Fphkru3.jpg

dotnotbot

On a positive note, they made some good changes to trophies/achievements - made the 100% harder while cutting down on unnecessary grind. Menus look cool too.

Last edited:
When they get to Peacewalker in Vol2 are they just gonna revert it to PSP resolution lol?

Well I’m definitely just gonna stick to the 360 versions on XSX, and I won’t have to deal with trigger warnings to boot. The Backwards Compatibility up scaling will probably look better than what Konami shits out anyways.

The only thing is if Vol2 is PW, MGS4, and MGSV, then I already have 2 of those and would only be interested in it for 4, so I’ll have to wait even longer for that to go to deep discount for it to be worth it unless they offer the games piecemeal as well.

Last edited:
Lame, I might still buy on offer some time but if they cant put any effort into the release then I can go out of my way to buy it day 1. Good games too but I have finished them all before

Digital Eclipse would of done a great job with this going by their past efforts with other collections.

Konami died years ago , what’s left is a shell that leaves a lingering smell similar to a lazy slobs gaming chair.

RaduN

I can't play those portably. The Switch and it's portability is the only reason I'm interested in this collection.
You are better off emulating ps2 versions on your smartphone (provided you have a decent mid-range android smartphone).
MGS1 can be made to look so much better via texture correction, shaders, etc and 2 & 3 have all the ps2 effects intact and run perfectly at 60 fps (even 3 does, via patch).

They are most likely using a very crappy emulator for all 3 games. The footage I saw of MGS1 looked like the original res which is not even 480p.

Pelao

Guys, MGS4 is screwed.
I was going to say that all they need to do is port it as-is, with its crappy resolution, and that the fact that it has unlocked framerate would be enough, since we'd finally have MGS4 at stable 60fps on console, but now I'm convinced that instead of doing a native port, they'd probably do a brute force emulation of the PS3 ISO and we'd end up with the same or even worse performance.

Gambit2483

You are better off emulating ps2 versions on your smartphone (provided you have a decent mid-range android smartphone).
MGS1 can be made to look so much better via texture correction, shaders, etc and 2 & 3 have all the ps2 effects intact and run perfectly at 60 fps (even 3 does, via patch).
Yea... smartphone and gaming doesn't work for me. Unless it's a really simple kind of game. I'm not about to play a complex game like MGS on my phone.

I'll take the 30FPS hit for the convenience and actual buttons.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Yea... smartphone and gaming doesn't work for me. Unless it's a really simple kind of game. I'm not about to play a complex game like MGS on my phone.

I'll take the 30FPS hit for the convenience and actual buttons.

4K60Hz USB C to HDMI cable adapter, joypad connected to your phone/tab and you're good to go

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
169797428618886191csq.png

An example of the Master Collection appearing to correct one of the HD Collection's flaws.

I am so on the fence with this Collecton right now. I need some really detailed comparisons to decide. MGS1 is a dud to me but there's still a chance that 2 and 3 could end up 'definitive'.
Looks good to me. I want true to originals

BootsLoader

Banned
We’ve been Konamied again. At this state, it’s better to play the games on their proprietary hardware or Emulator which is the best choice.

VulcanRaven

169797428618886191csq.png

An example of the Master Collection appearing to correct one of the HD Collection's flaws.

I am so on the fence with this Collecton right now. I need some really detailed comparisons to decide. MGS1 is a dud to me but there's still a chance that 2 and 3 could end up 'definitive'.
That always bothered me in the HD Collection. I just wish they had fixed the low resolution splitter face paint.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Based off a YT vid I saw the other day, the main draw of this package for hardcore fans are the new extras as much as anything. Hundreds of pages of script books and various other printed matter that apparently is difficult and expensive to obtain otherwise.

While it didn't address performance it at least made it sound like it the package is compiled with care and attention to detail.

Could be wrong, because it was based only off of various sources who played the games at TGS, but it was a very positive reaction.

EDIT: Here's the link if you're interested.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is actually argument for market consolidation, Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo (well maybe not Nintendo) would make sure such a valued IP is treated with the care its fans deserve. This appears to be a shameless money grab, Konami seem to be aimlessly pissing in the dark and missing the toilet quite considerably.

BrunoCoel

Next collection news:
The games will only support mono audio
Only wired gamepads can be used

So vintage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom