• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Gear Solid Master Collection isn’t a native 1080p on PS5/XSX. It’s just 720p upconverted to 1080p.

RaduN

Its pretty shitty to lie, but higher resolution is not gonna help these games look any better. If anything they look worse the higher res. Play the original on a CRT is the best way imo.
Absolutely.
In emulation, MGS2 and 3 look the absolute best at 1.5 x resolution, 8x AA and all the post processing effects (dof, bloom, particles) intact.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Its pretty shitty to lie, but higher resolution is not gonna help these games look any better. If anything they look worse the higher res. Play the original on a CRT is the best way imo.
img_20231023_164607g8fz3.jpg

I can't say I agree with that

Last edited:
It doesn’t.

it doesn’t so anything. It’s just sharp angles and broken dof effect.
Low res masks the ps2ness. These games were authored for a crt tv
To each his own. I don't think your giving the graphics credit that they still hold up even at higher resolutions. To say it doesn't do anything to the presentation other than break certain things is beside the point. Those things can be fixed if the dev wanted to. What it does do to the presentation is significantly eliminate aliasing making objects and characters look much smoother. Which helps a lot considering it takes place in the jungle.

Esppiral

Glad I can still play the HD collection on my series X and better emulate every single one of those games at 4k and enhancements on the same machine.....

TGO

Bottom one looks better
The only difference is anti aliasing, you only getting them due to the lower resolution and looks worse on a HD screen
But you prefer jagged edges?
you must be the guy who prefers the PS2 version of Max Payne 2

Killer8

Glad I can still play the HD collection on my series X and better emulate every single one of those games at 4k and enhancements on the same machine.....

It's 720p on Series X because it's just emulating the X360 code.

I played through the HD Collection last year on Series X and thought they still looked excellent on a 4K TV, despite the resolution. I think while it's somewhat disappointing they couldn't get these running at 4K, for whatever reason, the games still look very good in plain HD.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The only difference is anti aliasing, you only getting them due to the lower resolution and looks worse on a HD screen
But you prefer jagged edges?
you must be the guy who prefers the PS2 version of Max Payne 2
The bottom one way better. It has dithering and lower res helps to hide it's original flaws. All these pixelated and blurry techniques were made to make the game look better.
You were never supposed to look at the game as if it was pixelated. It never was. It was filtered through rudimentary aa, dithering and viewed on crt tv.
The fact that we are getting all these boomer shooter and pixel art games nowadays is just plain wrong. Most of the games back then tried not to be pixelated. And these flaws became visible on lcd monitors.

Running MGS1 at lower res like 720p or internal 480p and then bilinear stretching it to 4k is IMO the correct choice.
If You integer "pixel-perfect" scaled 480p to 4k, yes, the pixels would be sharp and correct but also the pixels would be huge. 16x more so... or something like that.
If You run... lets say Max Payne 2 at 720p and integer scale it to 4k, it will be pixelated. Because every pixel is repeated in 2 directions 8 times(maybe, no math here lol). But you can check it yourself.
But if YOu run Max Payne 2 at 720p and let it stretch, it will look fine. I personally would replay MP2 just at 4k.

MP2 is a pc/ps2 game. The fidelity is high enough that 4k is not hurting it like older ps1 games.
The last time I played MP2 was about in 2020 like this. After which I replaced my 4k ips with oled and it's finally a good enough screen to replace crt for me.
H7dDUNZ.jpg

bumuqFq.jpg

TGO

The bottom one way better. It has dithering and lower res helps to hide it's original flaws. All these pixelated and blurry techniques were made to make the game look better.
You were never supposed to look at the game as if it was pixelated. It never was. It was filtered through rudimentary aa, dithering and viewed on crt tv.
The fact that we are getting all these boomer shooter and pixel art games nowadays is just plain wrong. Most of the games back then tried not to be pixelated. And these flaws became visible on lcd monitors.
Therein lies the problem, we ain't playing them on a CRT
And I agree I hate Pixel Art games

Esppiral

It's 720p on Series X because it's just emulating the X360 code.

I played through the HD Collection last year on Series X and thought they still looked excellent on a 4K TV, despite the resolution. I think while it's somewhat disappointing they couldn't get these running at 4K, for whatever reason, the games still look very good in plain HD.
I mean, that appart from playing the BC hd collection I can Emulate them on Xbox at 4k using Duckstation and PCSX2....

Seriously if this was 4k60 it would be an amazing Collection but there had to be catch.
That's what bugs me so much about this. In of itself, it's a great package. But it should be a celebration and have the care and love the series deserves, especially for these 3 specific titles. And Konami had to taint the whole thing by half-assing the most basic prerequisite of todays standards.

Surrag

Neo Member
PS1 games need filters to make them look good on Emulators, you should never just upscale the resolution on these games, they will not look good like PS2 or PS3 games.

This is a good example of correct settings for a PS1 game on high resolution, using filters and 16:9 aspect ratio.

You don't need a CRT TV.

49244224273_fbd6295685_o.jpg

49244909237_bc8090b6af_o.jpg

49244224163_39c4056297_o.jpg

Bry0

And as expected the pc version is easily the worst port since dark souls 1.

It’s frankly inexcusable.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I bought the $20 MGS version but quickly promted for a refund. The image is bilinear filtered without anyway to turn it off making it inferior to the original PSX version and a blurry mess.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I think people saying "resolution won't make the game better" are missing the point; a PS5 is so much more powerful than the PS3 which runs these basically identically that they could be running these games at 8k 120FPS if they wanted to, but a 4k60fps start should be super easy to achieve on the PS5.
Offering filters/mods/enhancements would be incredible, but the minimum should be 4k@60fps.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Last edited:

daninthemix

And as expected the pc version is easily the worst port since dark souls 1.

It’s frankly inexcusable.
I mean, I dropped in the modded executable and now I'm playing MGS3 at 4k60 without issue.

The lack of options is dumb (also - why bother creating a launcher when you're not actually offering any options??) but this is a lot easier to run than the HD Collection emulated in Xenia or RPCS3, and I'm not really encountering any issues at all. It's literally just MGS3 at 4k60.

Bry0

I mean, I dropped in the modded executable and now I'm playing MGS3 at 4k60 without issue.

The lack of options is dumb (also - why bother creating a launcher when you're not actually offering any options??) but this is a lot easier to run than the HD Collection emulated in Xenia or RPCS3, and I'm not really encountering any issues at all. It's literally just MGS3 at 4k60.
Yeah, I think it just shows how silly the port job is more than anything. Glad the mods are working well!

They do break some effects like dof and ui so they aren’t perfect though.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Oh, wait that’s already there? What about any enhancements for the first two games through mods?

Skifi28

How does the framerate hold up for 2 and 3 on console? The official post was implying it's not stable, is it just during certain cutscenes or gameplay too?

Bojji

Nope. It runs at 720p and is upscaled to 1080p. It can be modded to run at higher resolutions, but it can break post processing.

With this fix this collection has the best PC versions of MGS2 and 3, it's much lighter to run than trough emulator and much better than that terrible MGS2 port from 2003. Of course people need to fix games for themselves, something that multi milion dollar Konami can't do...

Top Bottom