• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The N64 was a graphical BEAST, any other graphical beasts throughout console history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthas

Banned
TheGuardian said:
Well, I *could* tell you that the "metal mario" effect is actually not that difficult to do, but I'm sure you wouldn't believe me without evidence.

1996 year old videos are quite complicated to find, so this is the best I could get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY-0JvJDDnA

Take into consideration that that demo is completely software rendered, so something like a 3dfx card could help a lot.

All was fully coded in pure assembler

Doesn't look as impressive as the environmental mapping on metal mario, yet it was coded in assembly code and is being rendered by the cpu?
Show me the same thing being rendered in hardware by a pre 2000 gpu, and not coded in assembly code.

LCGeek

formerly sane
segasonic said:
I want some of that crack the op has been smoking
QFT

and I'm huge defender of nintendo tech. PSX still did better in some areas both effects and overall polys than n64 so it wasn't a beast there. Neither of the console let alone a saturn card could take on any of the glide games in quality so lay off the pipe. By 98 pc's had clearly taken off on consoles and pretty much have since with a few blip of console games here and there doing better than the pc in between it's cycles of gpu generations.

Durante

Arthas said:
The pc gpu's couldn't do it until the geforce series came out. :lol
My TNT2 did FSAA just fine. And anyway, running games at more than 4 times the resolution does a bit more for image quality than 2xAA, you know?

Arthas

Banned
Shaheed79 said:
turok23_640w.jpg

turokstatue_640w.jpg

turokimg4_640w.jpg

turokimg7_640w.jpg

turokimg5_640w.jpg

turok24_640w.jpg

s49525ss26i.jpg

s49527q7xqq.jpg

s49530qun0p.jpg

Turok 2 killed everything graphically until Unreal came out. This isn't up for debate.

Amen, forgot about this title. It had awesome blood too.

WTF how can people say that the PS1 had better graphics than the N64, are you all totally blind or something?!

N64 destroyed the PS1, no contest!

Late PS1 games

Final Fantasy IX (Single digits framerate might I add)

Non bullshot image (These are hard to come by in decent quality and I know it's not the most flattering shot but it's the best I could find)

finalfantasy9_profilelarge.jpg

Bullshot emulated image

epsxe-enhance1.jpg

BTW the background is prerendered as a texture in a box, it is not modelled.

Metal Gear Solid (Solid 30FPS)

Non Bullshot

213294.jpeg

12.jpg

Can't find a bullshot!

Chrono Cross (Relatively solid 30FPS)

Non Bullshots

chronocross_237_640w.jpg

chronocross_289_640w.jpg

crono1.jpg

Now let's compare them to the N64!

Early N64

Waverace 64 (Solid 24 FPS) Sorry for the small size, non bullshots screens are almost impossible to find!

wr14_640w.jpg

wr13_640w.jpg

Bullshots

WII_Wave_Race_64_08210209.jpg

Mid N64

Banjo Kazooie (Solid 30FPS)

Non Bullshot

2.jpg

4.jpg

BanjoKazooie_2.jpg

Bullshot (Not a very good one though, but it shows off it's superior texturing quite well)

banjo.JPG

Late N64 Conker's Bad Fur day (Relatively solid 30FPS)

conker_suits.jpg

bfdshiz50.JPG

bfdshiz14.JPG

Can't find any bullshots but here's a video of the best looking part of the game (Check out the lighting, PS1 could never hope to do this!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMNOCY5DJxY&feature=related

Oh and not to mention that all the good looking PS1 games are very limited in terms of environment size whereas N64 games have much much larger environments with much more going on.

So a big FUCK YOU to anyone who is stupid enough to say the PS1 had better graphics than N64!

Oh and if anyone could show me a game that looked better than CBFD on PC before 2001 I would be much obliged!

Arthas

Banned
Durante said:
My G400 did FSAA just fine. And anyway, running games at more than 4 times the resolution does a bit more for image quality than 2xAA, you know?

In 2D games?

Maybe.

Of course higher resolution is better, but seriously, 640x480 on an SDTV was nothing to be sneezed at back then, it's not like HDTV's existed for a a reasonable price.

Edit: Finally, the cavalry has arrived. :D

Flambe

Durante said:
My TNT2 did FSAA just fine. And anyway, running games at more than 4 times the resolution does a bit more for image quality than 2xAA, you know?

According to him, resolution doesn't count.

Nor does N64's fucking pitiful framerates

Durante

[This is a reply to Nuclear Muffin]

So why are your PS shots blown up by a factor of 4 while your N64 shots remain at the original resolution.

FWIW I agree that N64 had an advantage over PS1 in terms of 3D rendering, but the cartridges made it more or less moot (depending on genre).

Both can't compare to PCs -- as it always was and always will be.

Durante said:
[This is a reply to Nuclear Muffin]

So why are your PS shots blown up by a factor of 4 while your N64 shots remain at the original resolution.

FWIW I agree that N64 had an advantage over PS1 in terms of 3D rendering, but the cartridges made it more or less moot (depending on genre).

Both can't compare to PCs -- as it always was and always will be.

Those are the only shots I could find and from personal experience the output quality of those games from the actual consoles on an SDTV (PS1 RGB and N64 Composite to make it even more unfair for N64!) is more or less the same as those screens.

Not to mention that PS1 games suffered from wobbly textures, the worst graphical shortcoming of the PS1 and one that doesn't show up in screens (Far worse than even the lack of texture filtering and one that still cannot be fixed through emulation, DS doesn't suffer from this BTW so it should age very gracefully through emulation like the N64 :D)

BTW sorry for getting so worked up, I keep seeing people make stupid claims like this and it just pisses me off to keep seeing it over and over again!

D.Lo

I remember the argument being all about the price - a PC could beat out an N64 in 1998, but it would cost you $1000 minimum. Goldeneye looked a lot better then Half-Life running on software, but throw two Voodoo 2 cards and more RAM in and it obviously looked far better.

I actually thought N64 games looked worse as the system went along, as devs pushed it too hard resulting in higher polys but lower framerates. Rogue Squadron, Sin and Punishment and Rayman 2 were the exceptions, because they played to the system's strengths well.

But lol at anyone claiming PS1 games looked better then the N64s best. There were a lot of bad looking N64 games, and probably only 15 or so that truly looked amazing, and there were some artistically great PS1 games too. But Goldeneye, Turok 2, Banjo, Zeldas, Rayman 2, 1080, Wave Race - these games slaughtered anything on the PS1 graphically.

The Gran Turrismo was lauded for 'amazing' graphics, and it did have decent track and car modeling and the flashy fake reflection effect. But it ran in stupidly low resolution, at a poor framerate, had terrible texture integrity and the whole game was a collection of texture seams.

AntMurda

Acclaim's studio's had some really awesome games in 99-2000 via the forge, turok, and vista engines.

Forsaken
Turok: Rage Wars
Shadowman

Great graphics, framerate, and solid audio.

Factor 5 of course had 2 great 99-2000 games as well.

Indiana Jones and Star Wars Naboo Fighter.

Angel Studios had the definitive release of

Resident Evil 2

N64 was CLEARLY more powerful overall. However, its image quality problems really did hinder it and some of the great looking games didn't shine as they should have done. I really like the fact that N64 games on the Virtual Console boast increased resolutions - It's just a shame they didn't perform in such a way on the original console.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
BTW those Turok shots I posted are original shots of the game no emulator bullshit. The game was a fantastic graphical showpiece and those shots truly don't even do the game justice as some of the levels looked even better. Iguana use to be the best at texture rendering back in 98.

Arthas

Banned
Flambe said:
According to him, resolution doesn't count.

Nor does N64's fucking pitiful framerates

First it was his G400, then his tnt2? Oh thats right he realised the G400 was too shit so had to change it quick :lol

Fact is, I had a tnt2 pro, and it couldn't do playable FSAA for shit. I recall 2fps on my first attempt with quake 3, a 1999 game.

Arthas said:
Heres one more for ya. The n64 did 2x full scene anti-aliasing in all it's games.

Doesn't matter. It still looks awful.

So you are just throwing numbers and technical jargon around much like Sony fanboys today throw around numbers to hype up the PS3? All those technical stuff won't matter if the graphics being output on the telly looks like shit - which the majority of N64 games were.

As for MGS, I took the screenshot from Wikipedia. I did play the PS1 version recently on my PSP. On the original setting, the game looks similar to the screenshots I posted, albeit at 320x240 resolution with some aliased. Still looks very nice.

But I have to agree with some here. As far as 3D performance, both PS1 and N64 weren't even close to PC.

Durante

Arthas said:
First it was his G400, then his tnt2? Oh thats right he realised the G400 was too shit so had to change it quick :lol
You really have no idea what you're talking about, right? I realized that while my G400 could do FSAA, even the TNT2 that was released earlier could do it. I still have both cards lying around somewhere btw. But I see now that you're not at all interested in rational debate (not acknowledging the IQ impact of resolution over that of AA, especially at the low level we're talking about here, makes it obvious) so I'm out of here. Have fun!

But I still have to wonder: how is it possible to become so emotionally invested in a piece of hardware?

Arthas

Banned
TheGuardian said:
Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-8awFyDlB8

:)

Seriously, the N64 was a nice machine, but it was *not* better than a PC, get over it

Ok, but you realise you've resorted to demoscene examples? These guys spend weeks perfecting their 5 minute presentation.

I've seen amazing demoscene things on commodore 64 hardware too, but never in playable games and always written in assembly code to take full advantage of the hardware. Not even close.

Not to mention the voodoo 2 on which this is running came out in 1998, and never utilized this technique in any games, because whatever the demoscene tricks this fellow pulled off, it simply wasn't feasible in a game.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Those are the only shots I could find and from personal experience the output quality of those games from the actual consoles on an SDTV (PS1 RGB and N64 Composite to make it even more unfair for N64!) is more or less the same as those screens.

Not to mention that PS1 games suffered from wobbly textures, the worst graphical shortcoming of the PS1 and one that doesn't show up in screens (Far worse than even the lack of texture filtering and one that still cannot be fixed through emulation, DS doesn't suffer from this BTW so it should age very gracefully through emulation like the N64 :D)
I didn't mind the wobbly textures, the jaggies however were terrible.

But then again, it's not like the blurry AA effect you saw in N64 games was a huge improvement. Like some else already mentioned, PSX still did better in some areas (like overall polys, amount of textures) and it could play those fantastic squaresoft FMV's.

Both were a distant second because PC graphics = EPIC WIN.

knee

Arthas said:
All I'm seeing there is good texturing and good resolution, anything else the n64 could do, plus more in terms of hardware effects. It did better lighting than that in DK64. Also, it could do reflective texturing like were seeing in that scene.

Endgegner

Well this thread seems to be only about fanboys fighting a ten year old war. Which is ridiculous because both ps1 and n64 games have aged horribly and both looked pretty bad 2 years after they were released compared to pc games. Console games always look inferior to pc games a certain time after they are released but it was especially bad in the ps1/n64 era due to the bad image quality of both the n64 and the ps1. It's really the only era of games which are hard to play know just because they look so shitty now.

I seriously don't give a shit if the N64 had some effects or shaders implemented that couldn't be replicated on PC (although I doubt that, probably had more to do with the priorities of the developers), Pc games through 98 looked so much better than anything else on consoles, it just doesn't matter if the N64 could do one or two novelty tricks.

Arthas

Banned
monkeylite said:
Doesn't matter. It still looks awful.

So you are just throwing numbers and technical jargon around much like Sony fanboys today throw around numbers to hype up the PS3? All those technical stuff won't matter if the graphics being output on the telly looks like shit - which the majority of N64 games were.

As for MGS, I took the screenshot from Wikipedia. I did play the PS1 version recently on my PSP. On the original setting, the game looks similar to the screenshots I posted, albeit at 320x240 resolution with some aliased. Still looks very nice.

But I have to agree with some here. As far as 3D performance, both PS1 and N64 weren't even close to PC.

Thats where I stopped reading, since it proved that you have never played n64 games on a telly, but have only judged them from messy screenshots on the internet.

As for the pc, of course the n64 wasn't even close, but in terms of specific gpu features and overall gpu flexibility, it was ahead in a few areas, such as antialiasing and environmental mapping and some other tricks. Ahead by years.

Arthas said:
Thats where I stopped reading, since it proved that you have never played n64 games on a telly, but have only judged them from messy screenshots on the internet.

I have when I was in uni, though I don't own one. But I was too deep into PC gaming to care.

Arthas

Banned
M°°nblade said:
I didn't mind the wobbly textures, the jaggies however were terrible.

But then again, it's not like the blurry AA effect you saw in N64 games was a huge improvement. Like some else already mentioned, PSX still did better in some areas (like overall polys, amount of textures) and it could play those fantastic squaresoft FMV's.

1) The theoretical bullshit rate was never achieved, ps1 games in real-time always had fewer polys than n64 games.

2) Texture variety and quality is a game per game thing, no ps1 game has as many and as good textures as conkers bad fur day for example, or turok 2: seeds of evil.

3) As for full motion videos, resident evil 2 showed that it was possible on the n64. What's more, the graphics were even improved, thanks to the antialiasing and better texturing of the n64m but was rare due to expensive cartridges and their space limitation (space was only limited by cost).

Arthas said:
Ok, but you realise you've resorted to demoscene examples? These guys spend weeks perfecting their 5 minute presentation.

I've seen amazing demoscene things on commodore 64 hardware too, but never in playable games and always written in assembly code to take full advantage of the hardware. Not even close.

Not to mention the voodoo 2 on which this is running came out in 1998, and never utilized this technique in any games, because whatever the demoscene tricks this fellow pulled off, it simply wasn't feasible in a game.

Well, you said a PC could not do that effect, I showed you it could. Simple as that. There were some games that used it, yes, just not in the "metal mario" way. On of those, which the name I can't recall right now, used it to simulate underwater caustics effects. And it was much less of a trick than the N64 implementation of your metal mario.

I used demoscene videos because, like I said, it isn't easy to find videos of pre-2000 PC games on youtube.

ElFly

Blurry console was blurry.

I also blame it for the lack of third party support Nintendo faces now.

edit: and the kiddy image.

Arthas

Banned
TheGuardian said:
Well, you said a PC could not do that effect, I showed you it could. Simple as that.

I still haven't seen that effect in any pre-2000 pc game. What you're describing with the water could be something different.

Arthas said:

As for the pc, of course the n64 wasn't even close, but in terms of specific gpu features and overall gpu flexibility, it was ahead in a few areas, such as antialiasing and environmental mapping and some other tricks. Ahead by years.

Despite what tricks the N64 might have had the fact still remains that when playing the game it was a blocky blurry mess. Except for some Nintendo games the majority just looked like plain shit compared to other consoles and PC.

For me, if the game wasn't AAA I could never play it on the N64, I'd rather deal with pixelations then the blurriness of N64.

Mario64, Mariokart and some other somehow wasn't so badly affected by this due to their colorful graphics.

Minsc

Gold Member
I had a PC and N64, PC had better framerates, resolution, textures and graphics.

Besides that, 2D games > 3D games back then anyway.

Miles greater, and that's the damned truth. 3D games from that era look awful today, while 2D ones still look great.

Back in 96, it wasn't that spectacular as we just had a new family PC. Playing Tomb Raider on it was spectacular though.

But I was wowed more by the SNES before with its beautiful 2D sprite-based games.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Arthas said:
I still haven't seen that effect in any pre-2000 pc game. What you're describing with the water could be something different.

If he's referring to environment bump mapping that is some matrox introduced nintendo was just smart and had it built in to the n64 as well. segasonic various people mentioned 3dfx which both arcade and pc owned anything in console land. Arthas you tryin got argue this point is retarded. There was a not a single fucking title on SF rush level arcade in console level ever this thread is done.

Yes n64 had great looking games some of the best for the time possible yes, the best no.

Never liked the N64's graphics, blurry textures just didn't do much to me, even Zelda was blurry as hell and the pre-rendered backgrounds were awful. I remember when Quake came out for both the N64 and Saturn, talk about blurry mess.

MGS1 still looks great to this day. Rock solide frame-rate beatiful graphics and art direction.

Arthas said:
1) The theoretical bullshit rate was never achieved, ps1 games in real-time always had fewer polys than n64 games.

2) Texture variety and quality is a game per game thing, no ps1 game has as many and as good textures as conkers bad fur day for example, or turok 2: seeds of evil.

3) As for full motion videos, resident evil 2 showed that it was possible on the n64. What's more, the graphics were even improved, thanks to the antialiasing and better texturing of the n64m but was rare due to expensive cartridges and their space limitation (space was only limited by cost).

Let me rephrase.
On paper, the N64 was indeed able to show better graphics than the PS1. Late 1998/1999, this was proven by some clever N64 devs used tricks to play FMV's, improve geometry or show detailed textures (Conker = heavily-clamped small texture pieces) but most devs didn't have the time to get around the major flaws of the N64 system like fillrate, limited texture cache, storage capacity, etc...

That's why on average, most PS1 games had more polys and more textures. And almost every one of them had FMV's. The N64 didn't.

Arthas

Banned
LCGeek said:
Yes n64 had great looking games some of the best for the time possible yes, the best no.

I didn't say the best I just said that the n64 could keep up with the best. And it could.

After a fortuitous drop in EDO DRAM prices due to the volatile DRAM market, Voodoo Graphics cards became feasible for the consumer PC market. The Voodoo 1, as the Voodoo Graphics would be later known, was notable for its lack of an onboard VGA controller. As such, a Voodoo-equipped PC still required a separate VGA graphics card, meaning it was very expensive to have both 3D and 2D acceleration. The Voodoo 1 occupied a separate PCI slot and only engaged when the host PC ran a 3D game that had been programmed to use the card. A pass-through VGA cable daisy-chained the VGA card to the Voodoo 1, which was itself connected to the monitor. Although this was a cumbersome arrangement that somewhat hurt the analog signal quality of the separate 2D card, PC gamers were willing to put up with it to gain what was, at the time, the best in 3D graphics.

Much money and effort for little gain. :lol

I'm not pulling a $3000 pc meme out of my arse, but this is such a shitty and bothersome setup it's not funny.

Nedless to say, the n64 later mopped the floor with the vodoo 1 with titles such as turok 2 and conker. :lol

Arthas

Banned
M°°nblade said:
Let me rephrase.
On paper, the N64 was indeed able to show better graphics than the PS1. Late 1998/1999, this was proven by some clever N64 devs used tricks to play FMV's, improve geometry or show detailed textures (Conker = heavily-clamped small texture pieces) but on average, most PS1 games had more polys and more textures. And almost every one of them had FMV's. The N64 didn't.

But still the n64 had games that were almost a generation beyond what the ps1 could do. So where is this going? On average? :lol

M°°nblade said:
Let me rephrase.
On paper, the N64 was indeed able to show better graphics than the PS1. Late 1998/1999, this was proven by some clever N64 devs used tricks to play FMV's, improve geometry or show detailed textures (Conker = heavily-clamped small texture pieces) but on average, most PS1 games had more polys and more textures. And almost every one of them had FMV's. The N64 didn't.

Man, PS1 graphics isn't better than N64 by any means. Yes, had FMV, but in-game graphics never match N64 quality. Stop trying to say what isn't true or you'll get hurt. Yes, I have all 32/64 consoles: N64, PS1 and Saturn. If there's something PS1 isn't better than N64 is it's graphics. Deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom