• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The N64 was a graphical BEAST, any other graphical beasts throughout console history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthas

Banned
TheRagnCajun said:
One PC port is inferior to its console counterpart, is that what you're basing this thread on?

No, infernal machine was a port FROM pc TO console :lol

I'm basing this thread on the programmable GPU of the n64, which was at least 4 years ahead of it's time in terms of flexibility and feature set, something unseen before or after in the world of successful mainstream home consoles.

segasonic

Arthas said:
I didn't say the best I just said that the n64 could keep up with the best. And it could.

Much money and effort for little gain. :lol

I'm not pulling a $3000 pc meme out of my arse, but this is such a shitty and bothersome setup it's not funny.

Nedless to say, the n64 later mopped the floor with the vodoo 1 with titles such as turok 2 and conker. :lol
wow, you are an idiot of epic proportions

voodoo 1 was a revolution in 3D graphics

TreasureHunterG said:
Man, PS1 graphics isn't better than N64 by any means. Yes, had FMV, but in-game graphics never match N64 quality. Stop trying to say what isn't true or you'll get hurt. Yes, I have all 32/64 consoles: N64, PS1 and Saturn. If there's something PS1 isn't better than N64 is it's graphics. Deal with it.

Dude, I never said PS1 graphics were better, but in some areas most PS1 games looked better.
And yes, I also had every 8-,16-,32- and 64-bit console and a PC back then.

Arthas said:
But still the n64 had games that were almost a generation beyond what the ps1 could do. So where is this going? On average? :lol
Rendering potential means jack shit if it isn't used. Look at the PS3. Is that one going to get remembered as a 'graphical beast'?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Arthas said:
I didn't say the best I just said that the n64 could keep up with the best. And it could.

Much money and effort for little gain. :lol

I'm not pulling a $3000 pc meme out of my arse, but this is such a shitty and bothersome setup it's not funny.

Nedless to say, the n64 later mopped the floor with the vodoo 1 with titles such as turok 2 and conker. :lol

Who cares I did and a lot of others did as 3dfx was fucking huge, so you can't be like well I couldn't afford it so it really doesn'y apply to me. Hey just like in real life some have more than others desn't change the reality nor the facts at hand. I'm not disagreeing but N64 is nowhere near the beast you say it was.

Snes and GC are far better candidates for a tech discussion as I see n64, nesm and Wii as nintendo compromises. GC in the end without a question with two games established it's graphical dominance on a technical level over all. Snes without question to two other consoles which were hella niche was the best of it's generation.

Arthas

Banned
segasonic said:
wow, you are an idiot of epic proportions

voodoo 1 was a revolution in 3D graphics

Yet the n64 came before it, and offered a revolution in 3D console gaming. It seems like the PC was merely catching up.

ElFly

Show me a N64 game with better graphics than Street Fighter Alpha 2.

I got my PSX for that. The N64 never had anything like it.

/thread.

bigswords

Mar_ said:
Anyone who says the N64 had the best graphics of that generation are completely delusional. I don't care if it had better specs on paper, the games looked like ass.

Ding Ding we have a winner /thread.

Arthas said:
Yet the n64 came before it, and offered a revolution in 3D console gaming. It seems like the PC was merely catching up.

Having read your posts in this thread, I'm starting to believe you really are an idiot.

Yikes.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Arthas said:

Actually they came out relatively at the same time and 3dfx started in 94. 3d gaming had already been established both console and in pc at the time. You can try to say n64 was the revolution but without 3dfx we wouldn't have consoles or pc gpus the way they are now in terms of gpu because ati and nvidia would still be pos cheapass manufacturers.

LCGeek

formerly sane
ElFly said:

/thread.

Pointless comparison considering tech of the 2d age was more refined than btw saturn owned psx for 2d shit. 2d tech that was well developed vs 3d tech in the 3rd generation of nfancy, we call this apples to organes.

Arthas

Banned
ElFly said:

/thread.

Decidedly shit game but you wanted better 2D graphics:

Yoshistory.jpg

alpha: (this is a ps2 screen by the way)
street-fighter-alpha-anthology-20060524051634335.jpg

And heres a n64 2D-3D hybrid:

papermario_screen026.jpg

Your ps1 is peanuts compared to n64's 2d capabilities.

ElFly

LCGeek said:
Pointless comparison considering tech of the 2d age was more refined than btw saturn owned psx for 2d shit. 2d tech that was well developed vs 3d tech in the 3rd generation of nfancy, we call this apples to organes.

So, you are saying that even the Saturn had better graphics than the N64.

Show me a better looking game on the N64 or STFU

pswii60

The PS2 was a beast when you consider it came out in 2000, and games like SotC and GoW2 still impressed on the platform in 2006/7.

Also, although technically not a console, the Amiga 500 was released in 1987, and games on it were still pumping out graphics that gave the Genesis/SNES a run for their money in to the 90s.

The console that impressed me the most upon release, however, was the Dreamcast. Moving from blurry N64 stuff and jaggy PSOne stuff straight to the wonders of Soul Calibur, DOA2, Crazy Taxi and Shenmue was pretty mindblowing at the time. Hell, I also remember falling in love with the beauty of Phantasy Star Online.

EDIT: And I can't believe the arguments in this thread about what happened two generations ago. And Arthas has ot be a joke character, right?

LCGeek

formerly sane
ElFly said:
Looks like shit.

Not technically which is his point you don't like the look fine but if you wanna argue which looks better on that level there's no choice one is just blantantly better. Even if that's the case saturn and n64 were still more powerful and in practice owned the fuck out of PSX graphically on the high end.

PS2 was not a beast and sony knew it, hype for the fucking win. DC was based off tech that in the arcades still owns most of the shit ps2 ever did. GC was clearly better and the xbox stomped it with the shader abilities despite it being fairly equal or losing in other areas. XBox was no match from the pc from the go.

ElFly

Arthas said:
alpha: (this is a ps2 screen by the way)
street-fighter-alpha-anthology-20060524051634335.jpg

Unreleased games count too?

I should put an screenshot of PS2 ICO as an example of the PSX power and wtfpwn this thread :lol

Arthas

Banned
bigswords said:
I was playing games since I was 6 on a Apple II mind you.

You need glasses honestly.

Excuse me then if I find it strange when you write of something like mario 64, which arrived in 1996, and at time of arrival simply looked amazing not just in visuals but in the way you played the game. Total fluid freedom was achieved for the first time in 3-dimensions, and with controls that worked.

If you failed to experience this precise moment then you missed what the n64 was all about, and you're certainly missing the ability to analyse how a n64 looked if you never owned and played a n64 on a real tv, since internet screenshots of n64 games are a total joke.

How can I describe to you how awesome the blood looked in turok 2 when it sprayed all over the place at the time, with screenshots ? I can't.

Arthas

Banned
ElFly said:
Unreleased games count too?

I should put an screenshot of PS2 ICO as an example of the PSX power and wtfpwn this thread :lol

Well whatever its a ps2 game, still looks worse than yoshi's story.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
sinnergy said:
SNES had Alpha 1, did 2 look better?
SNES had alpha 2.

Again when it came to 3D graphics Turok 2 trumped all until Unreal came out running on a high end machine with voodoo 2. The awesome lighting affects in the N64 version of Turok 2 weren't even in the PC version which supported Voodoo 2. I know because I had one. The N64 gave you the best bang for your buck and that's why all the PC FPS's back then had N64 versions. Few developers truely took advantage of the hardware however.

Durante

PS2 was actually really impressive in many areas considering its initial (japanese) release date. Games like GoW2 and FFXII confirm that. Sadly, image quality and ease of programming were both not areas it excelled in.

Arthas said:
Excuse me then if I find it strange when you write of something like mario 64, which arrived in 1996, and at time of arrival simply looked amazing not just in visuals but in the way you played the game. Total fluid freedom was achieved for the first time in 3-dimensions, and with controls that worked.

If you failed to experience this precise moment then you missed what the n64 was all about.
Actually there was a 3D free movement title for some old computer way before Mario 64. I can't think of the exact name but I think it was on the Amiga.

Ranger X

The playstation impressed me way more during its era than the N64 did.

The only thing that the N64 was cool to have is that basic filthering on textures and perspective correcting on the mapping. All the rest was pretty much a flawless wins for PS1 imo. With the N64 i was stuck with poor sound, low color palette, intense blur, bad light effect (resulting from low resolution + low palette) and huge stretched textures thanks to its useless abilities of making polygons huge. The hardware was also badly design. The machine itself was looking great though.

ElFly

LCGeek said:
Not technically which is his point you don't like the look fine but if you wanna argue which looks better on that level there's no choice one is just blantantly better. Even if that's the case saturn and n64 were still more powerful and in practice owned the fuck out of PSX graphically on the high end.

Bottom line: Saturn and PSX had more and better looking 2D games than the N64.

Arthas

Banned
Prime crotch said:
Actually there was a 3D free movement title for some old computer way before Mario 64. I can't think of the exact name but I think it was on the Amiga.

There you go you just don't get it. Or you're joking.

Wow. I didn't ever want to play with my N64 because it looked so bad after playing Quakeworld in 800x600 (SLI mother fuckers!). Quake, Quake2, Hexen 2, Unreal... some delusional people here.

Dot50Cal

Banned
herod said:
this is like watching an autopsy, disgusting.

I second that. I think the Wii NPD made him have a major meltdown today. Early signs were in the thread. Its like watching a car wreck. I just cant stop reading. It gets more brutal with each post.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Arthas said:
The screenshots are taken in different areas. The walls in the n64 version look gighly detailed. I"m not seeing any huge discrepancies, minus the resolution obviously. Also you're not seeing the added dynamic lighting in the n64 due to still screenshot.
I actually played that game back in 2000, and let me tell you, it absolutely did NOT represent the state of the PC industry. Infernal Machine was ugly as hell on the PC, so it's no surprise that the N64 could keep up.

Of course, the PC version ran at 60 fps and higher resolutions (which you seem to forget).

All I'm seeing there is good texturing and good resolution, anything else the n64 could do, plus more in terms of hardware effects. It did better lighting than that in DK64. Also, it could do reflective texturing like were seeing in that scene.
You DO realize that textures and resolution were the main areas where N64 failed to compete, right? The textures used in various N64 games were typically awful. Unreal demonstrated amazing textures, lighting, water, and sense of scale that the N64 simply couldn't match. Show me ONE N64 game with a scene as complex as that castle in Unreal. It's not fair to slag off textures when they were so important to the rendering during the late 90s.

Unreal introduced things such as light coronas, impressive water simulation, improved realtime colored lighting, volumetric lighting (3D fog effects) and some of the most beautiful skies the industry had yet scene. There was nothing on N64 that came even remotely close to Unreal in early 1998.

Turok 2 looked SIGNIFICANTLY worse than Unreal in that it had much more simplistic geometry, inferior textures and lighting, and ran at a VERY VERY slow framerate PLUS it used distance fog like crazy (Unreal never resorted to it and presented HUGE open landscapes).

How can you say that N64 could handle Unreal with downgraded textures when loads of other FPS looked and ran so much worse. Perfect Dark was released years after Uneal and looked much worse while running at a nearly unplayable framerate.

The N64 pushed the PC towards 3D graphics cards, but once the Voodoo was released, the gap was closed. N64 games always featured inferior textures (hugly inferior), less complex environments, fewer effects, lower resolutions, and much lower framerates. Do you realize that, in 1998, the PC was EMULATING the N64?! I could play Mario 64 and Zelda on my PC at higher resolutions than the N64 itself without any problems.

No 2D ps1/Saturn game looks better TECHNICALLY than Yoshi's story. None.
There's nothing technically impressive about it. It's visual design stems from its pre-rendered sprites (which could easily have been used on any of the systems).

Arthas

Banned
Harvey Hedonist said:
Wow. I didn't ever want to play with my N64 because it looked so bad after playing Quakeworld in 800x600 (SLI mother fuckers!). Quake, Quake2, Hexen 2, Unreal... some delusional people here.

Pity then you missed turok 2, since that shat all over the games you listed, graphically, besides unreal which came 2-3 years after the release of the n64 anyway.

Arthas said:

This I have to disagree. Saturn was the powerhouse of 32/64 bit generation when comes to 2D graphics. Arcade perfect convertions of Capcom fighters prove you wrong.

Arthas said:
There you go you just don't get it. Or you're joking.
You wrote "Total fluid freedom was achieved for the first time in 3-dimensions" which is wrong since I told you there was an old game that did it before. I can't recall the name of it otherwise I would put a youtube link with some footage.

ElFly

Arthas said:

Yeah, that was what the N64 was all about. Technically, in theory, in paper.

In practice, nobody would ever ever want to play Yoshi's Story.

And the Saturn wtfpwned it with almost perfect conversions of Arcade games like the KoF series and the SFA series. And the PSX versions weren't that bad either.

Arthas said:
Pity then you missed turok 2, since that shat all over the games you listed, graphically.

Uhhh... yea. Pass that shit over here man, it's obviously very good. I’m sure shooting dinosaurs looked great in Turok 2, at 20fps.

And I need to correct myself. After looking at wiki it appears that the original 3dfx cards were not capable of SLI. That must have been the Voodoo2 era.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Arthas said:
Pity then you missed turok 2, since that shat all over the games you listed, graphically.
No, it didn't. What the hell is with you? You seem to have a terrible memory.

People demonstrate that the PC featured superior everything, but you slag them off and claim the N64 could match them.

Turok 2 looked nice for an N64 game, but it ran at a VERY low framerate, used tons of distance fog, low resolution textures, and very boxy geometry. Furthermore, Turok 1 and 2 were also available on the PC and ran at higher resolutions and perfect framerates. Beyond that, the PC was EMULATING the N64 in 1998!!!! If that doesn't demonstrate just how much more powerful PCs were, I don't know what can. Emulation is demanding and requires hardware well beyond the specs of the machine you are emulating.

You've also ignored the audio side. PCs were already doing surround sound in 97 and were capable of far more impressive soundscapes than anything the N64 could pump out. Heck, both Turok games on the PCs had their soundtracks mixed into CD audio which absolutely trumped the low quality N64 sounds.

Arthas

Banned
dark10x said:
I actually played that game back in 2000, and let me tell you, it absolutely did NOT represent the state of the PC industry. Infernal Machine was ugly as hell on the PC, so it's no surprise that the N64 could keep up.

Of course, the PC version ran at 60 fps and higher resolutions (which you seem to forget).

You DO realize that textures and resolution were the main areas where N64 failed to compete, right? The textures used in various N64 games were typically awful. Unreal demonstrated amazing textures, lighting, water, and sense of scale that the N64 simply couldn't match. Show me ONE N64 game with a scene as complex as that castle in Unreal. It's not fair to slag off textures when they were so important to the rendering during the late 90s.

Unreal introduced things such as light coronas, impressive water simulation, improved realtime colored lighting, volumetric lighting (3D fog effects) and some of the most beautiful skies the industry had yet scene. There was nothing on N64 that came even remotely close to Unreal in early 1998.

Turok 2 looked SIGNIFICANTLY worse than Unreal in that it had much more simplistic geometry, inferior textures and lighting, and ran at a VERY VERY slow framerate PLUS it used distance fog like crazy (Unreal never resorted to it and presented HUGE open landscapes).

How can you say that N64 could handle Unreal with downgraded textures when loads of other FPS looked and ran so much worse. Perfect Dark was released years after Uneal and looked much worse while running at a nearly unplayable framerate.

The N64 pushed the PC towards 3D graphics cards, but once the Voodoo was released, the gap was closed. N64 games always featured inferior textures (hugly inferior), less complex environments, fewer effects, lower resolutions, and much lower framerates. Do you realize that, in 1998, the PC was EMULATING the N64?! I could play Mario 64 and Zelda on my PC at higher resolutions than the N64 itself without any problems.

There's nothing technically impressive about it. It's visual design stems from its pre-rendered sprites (which could easily have been used on any of the systems).

I recall 90% of emulated n64 games even back in 2001 ran like unplayable shit no matter which emulator I tried, I don't want to know what emulation horrors you lived though in 1998.

Unreal was a marvel for it's time, it looked better than anything technically, but riddle me this....did it utilize environmental mapping? Because if it DIDN'T, it was because it COULDN'T on the hardware at the time.
My point still stands, the n64 had something up it's sleeve since 1996 the pc wouldn't get until 2000 in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom