• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The N64 was a graphical BEAST, any other graphical beasts throughout console history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

[Nintex]

I agree with both sides:
majora_11_big.jpg

sin-punishment-2.jpg

(VC shot I think...)

Awesome visuals but blurry compared to PC.

any console that doesn't have metal gear solid is doomed to faillure simple as that.

BTW it been tested in proven 3 times and pretty soon 4 times on the PS3.:D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Arthas said:
I recall 90% of emulated n64 games even back in 2001 ran like unplayable shit no matter which emulator I tried, I don't want to know what emulation horrors you lived though in 1998.

Unreal was a marvel for it's time, it looked better than anything technically, but riddle me this....did it utilize environmental mapping?
1) In 1998, my Voodoo 1 could run many N64 games at perfect framerates. Mario 64 was a flawless 30 fps. I don't know what emulator you were using, but I'm speaking of UltraHLE. Go look it up and you'll see. It managed to emulate many N64 games with virtually no flaws. The ONLY flaw in Mario 64, for instance, was the painting in the first hallway (it only showed Bowser, rather than fading from Peach to Bowser). Everything else about it was flawless including framerate. There were no horrors.

It was actually a huge deal and Nintendo shut the team down. Nobody expected that they could deliver flawless N64 emulation (on select games) in 1998. Zelda, Mario, and loads of others were all completely playable.

BTW, you might run across 1999 (early) release dates for UltraHLE, but the readme states the completion date...

http://www.smiff.clara.net/emulators/uhle/readme.txt

2) Regarding environmental mapping, it depends on which type you are referring to. You were hung up on Metal Mario, but that effect is not what you think it is. Unreal was doing things far beyond that. However, since you are so obsessed with it, yes, Unreal DID use that effect. The enemies in Unreal could engage a shield mode that looked similar (but better) to the Mario 64 Metal Mario. They did a whole lot more than that, though...

LCGeek

formerly sane
Arthas said:
I recall 90% of emulated n64 games even back in 2001 ran like unplayable shit no matter which emulator I tried, I don't want to know what emulation horrors you lived though in 1998.

Unreal was a marvel for it's time, it looked better than anything technically, but riddle me this....did it utilize environmental mapping? Because if it DIDN'T, it was because it COULDN'T on the hardware at the time.
My point still stands, the n64 had something up it's sleeve since 1996 the pc wouldn't get until 2000 in games.

That's because the emulators suck if you could get something to work with a glide or a glidewrapper and with some power you were good.

EMBM vs all the other stuff in UT99 no comparison the game just looked better than anything that n64 would produce.

Arthas

Banned
dark10x said:
No, it didn't. What the hell is with you? You seem to have a terrible memory.

People demonstrate that the PC featured superior everything, but you slag them off and claim the N64 could match them.

Turok 2 looked nice for an N64 game, but it ran at a VERY low framerate, used tons of distance fog, low resolution textures, and very boxy geometry. Furthermore, Turok 1 and 2 were also available on the PC and ran at higher resolutions and perfect framerates. Beyond that, the PC was EMULATING the N64 in 1998!!!! If that doesn't demonstrate just how much more powerful PCs were, I don't know what can. Emulation is demanding and requires hardware well beyond the specs of the machine you are emulating.

But could you emulate metal mario? :lol

You've also ignored the audio side. PCs were already doing surround sound in 97 and were capable of far more impressive soundscapes than anything the N64 could pump out. Heck, both Turok games on the PCs had their soundtracks mixed into CD audio which absolutely trumped the low quality N64 sounds.

The RSP also frequently performs audio functions (although the CPU can be tasked with this as well). It can play back virtually any type of audio (dependent on software codecs) including uncompressed PCM, MP3, MIDI, and tracker music. The RSP is capable of a maximum of 100 channels of PCM at a time, but this is with 100% system utilization for audio. It has a maximum sampling rate of 48 kHz with 16-bit audio. However, storage limitations caused by the cartridge format limited audio size (and thus quality).

dark10x

But could you emulate metal mario?
Err, yeah. Every effect (sans that picture in the hallway) was emulated 100%. The Voodoo series of cards were much more capable of 3D rendering than the N64 ever was.

I noticed you keep making excuses for why N64 could not achieve certain things while ignoring what the PC was doing.

LCGeek

formerly sane
ElFly said:
SRSLY, the N64 had horrible textures, draw distances and framerates. With luck, not at the same time.

Using the worst instead of the best to knock n64 while using the best and not the worst of PSX is retarded. Yes it did have but 3d wise there's no comparison maybe you prefer a cleaner look but you subtract iq fidelity from n64 3d vs psx 3d it has it's ass handed to them. 2d games compared to 3d is retarded for reasons I already mention. There's no real substance to what your trying to say. Unless your arguing good pc arthas has a valid point even if the degree of it is exaggerated.

Arthas

Banned
dark10x said:
Err, yeah. Every effect (sans that picture in the hallway) was emulated 100%. The Voodoo series of cards were much more capable of 3D rendering than the N64 ever was.

I noticed you keep making excuses for why N64 could not achieve certain things while ignoring what the PC was doing.

But when was the pc doing this?

Undubbed

The N64 games may of looked better but not THAT much. The TC is seeming to make it look like the difference was astronomical or something. Difference is marginal to somewhat better depending on the game in my opinion. Like I've implied before if the textures had the same filter that you get with PS2's emulation then most good PSX games end up looking at N64 status I think.

There were an extreme few N64 titles that were above that, but yeah...extremely few. Not to mention the frame rates approaching slide show status.

Flavius

There can be only one proper non sequitur response to the OP's post.

And that response is...

Beetle Adventure Racing ****ing rocked!!!

Thanks and g'night! Try the veal! I'll be here all week!

ElFly

LCGeek said:
Using the worst instead of the best to knock n64 while using the best and not the worst of PSX is retarded. Yes it did have but 3d wise there's no comparison maybe you prefer a cleaner look but you subtract iq fidelity from n64 3d vs psx 3d it has it's ass handed to them. 2d games compared to 3d is retarded for reasons I already mention. There's no real substance to what your trying to say. Unless your arguing good pc arthas has a valid point even if the degree of it is exaggerated.

Yeah, but everything on the "best" side had one of those problems at least.

Screenshots also don't convey the horror of the low framerates.

And the PC was pushing bigger resolutions for years.

dark10x

Arthas said:
But when was the pc doing this?
It was doing it in late 1998/early 1999 (when Ultra HLE was released).

The very first release of UltraHLE allowed users to enjoy Mario 64, Zelda 64, Goldeneye and various other major N64 games at 100% speed with 99% graphics accuracy (missing effects were ultra minor, such as that painting, and were not the result of lacking hardware but simply glitches in emulation). You must have missed out on it as it was a huge revolution for emulation. Nobody could believe that a Pentium 233 + Voodoo 1 card could run N64 games at 100% speed. Everyone KNEW the PC was more powerful, of course, but emulation is demanding. You need to look into your history a bit more. I was right there on day 1 playing Mario 64 on my PC in awe.

Here's what IGN had to say upon its release (I tested it on a 233 MHz K6 + Voodoo 1 and a P2-400 with a Voodoo 2 and both performed beautifully)...

January 28, 1999 - Imagine for a moment that you could play Nintendo 64 games on your high-end PC. What would Super Mario 64 look like running under a Pentium 400mhz PC equipped with 64MBs of RAM and a 3DFX Voodoo 2 board? What would The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time look like running at resolutions of 800x600 and higher? Surely these 64-bit classics could only be bettered with the power of today's PCs behind them.

But Nintendo has no plans of releasing any of its games for the PC market and so, in the minds of hopeful PC owners these thoughts must remain.

Wrong.

Two programmers fluent in the underground emulation scene have developed UltraHLE, a tiny piece of software (roughly 172kb in size) that emulates Nintendo 64 games for PC -- and as we learned first-hand today, it does its job with near perfect accuracy. At this point you might be saying to yourself, "Yeah right. At perfect accuracy with a framerate of two, sure." Think again. We played Super Mario 64 today at 30 frames per second -- in 800x600 high-resolution. This is no joke.

The Ultimate Emulator

Nintendo 64 emulators aren't new. Programmers have been trying to emulate Nintendo 64 titles for PC since the console's inception two years ago. The difference between UltraHLE and the rest, of course, is that it works. Whereas past emulators have delivered shoddily-executed attempts at Nintendo 64 software running at unplayable framerates and ruined by glitches, UltraHLE not only manages perfect emulation, but actually improves upon some Nintendo 64 games in some cases.

Developed by two people (in three months) using the Internet handles Epsilon and RealityMan, UltraHLE (or Ultra High Level Emulation), takes an alternative, and in this case more effective, approach to the world of emulation. Rather than trying to emulate the hardware as closely as possible while supporting low level operations, UltraHLE instead actually emulates as little as possible. It attempts to detect high level operations early and emulate them using optimized C-code.

UltraHLE uses and requires 3DFX hardware and Glide to work. Because of this, many Nintendo 64 games appear cleaner and seemingly more detailed than if they were running on Nintendo 64 hardware. Nearly all of Nintendo 64's graphic features are put to full use including anti-aliasing, transparencies and more.

antiloop

Nuclear Muffin said:
Oh and if anyone could show me a game that looked better than CBFD on PC before 2001 I would be much obliged!

Dunno but best looking PC games back then IMO were Giants: Citizen Kabuto. NOLF, MDK2. HL.

dark10x

antiloop said:
Dunno but best looking PC games back then IMO were Giants: Citizen Kabuto. NOLF, MDK2. HL.
Those 2001 games were a full generation beyond N64. Giants was incredible looking for its day.

Flavius

Undubbed said:
While we're on the topic of graphical Beasts:

neogeo-1.jpg

Came out in 1991; approximately 8 months after the SNES release

Neo Geo for me was like that hot chick back in high school who wore the tight tops and really short skirts.

One day, I walked past her in a crowded hallway and my elbow "accidentally" brushed across her tits and...uh...that's about it.

dark10x

By the way, here's a quick comparison of Turok 2 (PC enhanced version) to Quake 2.

Now, if you compare the N64 version of Turok 2, things look really bad. You take what you have there, drop the resolution, sink the framerate into the teens, and massively lower the image quality (n64 had terrible texture filtering).

To be fair, let's get some N64 shots in here as well...

turok2.png

turok2_screen028.jpg

quake2.png

quake2_screen043.jpg

Flavius

Of all the weird things that I suppose could make you appreciate a game, I think one of the things that impressed me the most about Turok 2 was the ceiling in that game.

I remember launching mortars from that Triceratops...or whatever the hell it was...and watching them ascend into the heavens for what seemed like forever, then arc and fall back to virtual earth. Okay, maybe that was my coping mechanism for being bored and not knowing where the fuck to go next, but whatever...it was cool. :D

Branduil

PS1 had awful texture warping and aliasing.

N64 had awful iq.

Saturn was only good at 2D.

All three have games that are still fun to play today. The end.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Branduil said:

N64 had awful iq.

I'd buy this if you published it. I'd buy it
at a high price :O

Somebody could write a children's lullaby with your words. Play it in your head and feel the magic?!?!?!?!?

Tom_Cody

Branduil said:

N64 had awful iq.

Thank you. The topics being discussed here were run into the ground ten years ago.

dark10x

Banjo Tooie did some nice things on N64, but it's only impressive in comparison to PSX and Saturn (not the PC). I assume that was your point.

camineet

Banned
In terms of graphics N64 vs PS1: each had strengths and weaknesses. Obviously the N64 had the high quality rendering / feature set, by far. However, PS1 had higher-res textures, more textures, more polygons/sec in practice and higher framerates. What would you choose? framerate alone wins it for me. If N64 had been able to produce 30fps to 60fps in the majority of its games instead of 20fps to 30fps, I would choose N64 over PS1, but framerate is king in graphics-it also is one of the only things in graphics that's tied to gameplay.

p.s. adding the 4 MB RAM expansion pack should not count, that's an upgrade. PS1 didn't have such an upgrade (it was rumored to, the PlayStation Type C) but it never happened.

p.s. it's totally pointless to say N64 could compete with Voodoo1. While N64 was fine for handling reasonable ports of Voodoo1 PC/Arcade games, look at Voodoo1-based arcade SF Rush and the N64 version, big downgrade. Don't have the arcade game handy to compare? no problem, pop in Midway Arcade Treasures 3 into your Gamecube or Wii, play Rush The Rock, it's the same graphics engine as original arcade SF Rush. Only thing is, the MAT3 version runs at a higher framerate than the arcade. originally it was 30fps. the N64 Rush was also 30fps. but 1/2 or 1/4 the resolution, no more than half the polygon/sec, has lower res textures. The first SF Rush on N64 was a 2nd-gen N64 game too, not first gen. The arcade SF Rush *was* a first-gen Voodoo1 game. N64 version also was NOT a sloppy conversion, it was very good. It's just a matter of fact that N64 does not have the muscle of Voodoo1.

AntMurda

However, PS1 had higher-res textures, more textures, more polygons/sec in practice and higher framerates. What would you choose?

The playstation had a higher "framerate" than the n64? That is an odd argument. The N64 was doing very complicated things. When the PSX attempted it, you'd get famerate disasters like Soul Reaver.. with textures that couldn't even hold during a demo scene (would warp 3-4 times every 5 seconds).

teepo

Kaervas said:
PSX 2D > N64 2D

351467942_74bc2bb12c_o.gif

was just about to post that.

anyways, this thread needs more wipeout, colony wars, rollcage, ape escape, einhander, r-type delta, ape escape, ridge racer, gran turismo, tekken 3, bloody roar, omega boost, macross vfx2 and countless other titles with just about every multiplatform title imaginable.

a.wd

Will everyone shout at me if I say xbox (not to get into the fanboy willy waving)

IT was really powerful and cut off before its prime but it was imo nearly a generation ahead of PS2 (though the PS2 had more and more varied games)

but it introduced most of the innovations we have in this generation

inbuilt internet adapter (wire and wireless)
internal storage
high end GPU (though the gamecube also had an ATI graphix adapter)
persistent online multiplayer
media center capabilities (it had a disk that enabled it to be a media center extender)
also onboard MP3
custom soundtrack
persistent online multiplayer identity

and a few more. And the games were gorgeous, and if they had carried on for a couple more years I think it would have graphics that would be the equal of todays gen in a lot of places...

Just my 2 cents...

jett

D-Member
The N64 had awful everything compared to the PS1. The only thing that saved it from getting buttfucked by the PS1 was better image quality, thanks to texture filtering and edge anti aliasing.

solid2snake said:
N64 am cry

MGS PSX

Please tell me you're joking.

Metal Gear Solid does not look good today. At all. There are DS games that look better (which baffles my mind because people harp on the hideos DS graphics all the while praising MGS1's look on the PSX). Maybe if you're wearing nostalgia goggles then it doesn't look like a jaggy, pixelated mess - but that's what it is. Perhaps it's all opinion, but there are most certainly N64 games that look better. Even some other PS1 games look better than MGS.

camineet

Banned
AntMurda said:
The playstation had a higher "framerate" than the n64? That is an odd argument. The N64 was doing very complicated things. When the PSX attempted it, you'd get famerate disasters like Soul Reaver.. with textures that couldn't even hold during a demo scene (would warp 3-4 times every 5 seconds).

I meant to say, in general PS1 games had higher framrates than N64 games.

AntMurda

The N64 had awful everything compared to the PS1. The only thing that saved it from getting buttfucked by the PS1 was better image quality, thanks to texture filtering and edge anti aliasing.

I AM FALSE!!! THE CPU AND THE RCP rape the playstation. The RAM was better. I AM FACT. The medium was worse. Emulating 64-bit wavetables was worse.

The SGI microcodes were a huge issue.

Chris Michael said:
Please tell me you're joking.

Metal Gear Solid does not look good today. At all. There are DS games that look better (which baffles my mind because people harp on the hideos DS graphics all the while praising MGS1's look on the PSX). Maybe if you're wearing nostalgia goggles then it doesn't look like a jaggy, pixelated mess - but that's what it is. Perhaps it's all opinion, but there are most certainly N64 games that look better. Even some other PS1 games look better than MGS.

what are you talking about dude? even today MGS1 looks nice (for that generation). it had amazing snow and fire effects and you saw the air coming out of the mouths of the characters :D

i know, it had not any plumbers and toads.

camineet

Banned
Arthas said:
Yet the n64 came before it, and offered a revolution in 3D console gaming. It seems like the PC was merely catching up.

We're talking about a difference of a few months at most. In the U.S., N64 and Voodoo1 were out at basicly the same time.

If anything, the PS1 offered the revolution in home 3D gaming in Dec 1994 and September 1995, a year to year and a half before N64 and Voodoo1.

BTW I have no bias (except to Sega and Namco arcade games/hardware hehe)...I bought a U.S. PS1 at launch, and I bought a Japanese N64 about 6 weeks after Japanese launch, roughly 6 weeks before U.S. launch. I did not even own a Voodoo1 card, but I've seen enough of its games in motion to realize it was 50% to 2x N64.

The Matsushita M2 would've beaten both though, as I've pointed out in this thread.

LCGeek

formerly sane
a.wd said:
Will everyone shout at me if I say xbox (not to get into the fanboy willy waving)

IT was really powerful and cut off before its prime but it was imo nearly a generation ahead of PS2 (though the PS2 had more and more varied games)

internal storage
media center capabilities (it had a disk that enabled it to be a media center extender)
also onboard MP3
custom soundtrack

and a few more. And the games were gorgeous, and if they had carried on for a couple more years I think it would have graphics that would be the equal of todays gen in a lot of places...

Just my 2 cents...

innovation to what to console or to gaming any case not really

Console already did online gaming you're trying a semenatic argument by saying ethernet is innovation that's like saying broadband made internet despite bbs and dial up modems. Internal storage wasn't an innovation for consoles well not really since old consoles had some form of it you're arguing a massive amount of it. High end gpu nope and nvidia knew this didn't matter in the end gc had one game that technically rapes anything over all, thank you for something f5. PS2 and GC did excell at somethings better ie lighting, texturing, polys, and fps stability. Xbox was shader heaven at unstable fps don't get how most pimp the platform when it comes to graphics then again nothing about console ignorance makes any sense. Both DC and PS2 tried being a media center your arguing what was more well developed. Xbl is nothing more than a glorified matchmaking system that ms had already known how to do you saying a persistent identity is meaningless that would be like saying my id at hotmail is persistent only to the system it's on nothing else.

Only thing you were right on is companies ditching the platform but thank ms for that alex ward and other devs said it was too early to jump and that gc nor xbox had been pushed becaue of ps2. Wii is proving that point with some of it games kicking the living crap out of anything ps2 so it's fair to assume despite xbox's ineffecient architecture it would too.

camineet

Banned
a.wd said:

internal storage
also onboard MP3
custom soundtrack

Just my 2 cents...

Gamecube didn't have ATI graphics. Flipper had nothing to do with ATI other than that ATI bought ArtX. It was ArtX that designed Flipper, ATI didn't have a hand in it. You could say S3 and NEC had more to do with Flipper than ATI did.

teepo

camineet said:
We're talking about a difference of a few months at most. In the U.S., N64 and Voodoo1 were out at basicly the same time.

the s3 graphics accelerator predates the n64 and voodo1.

camineet

Banned
Undubbed said:
While we're on the topic of graphical Beasts:

neogeo-1.jpg

Came out in 1991; approximately 8 months after the SNES release

Uhhh wrong. NEO-GEO came out before SNES in the U.S. and before Super Famicom in Japan.

NEO-GEO was out early to mid 1990 in Japan as a rental unit. it hit the U.S. in late 1990 or early 1991.

camineet

Banned
Arthas said:

Unreal was a marvel for it's time, it looked better than anything technically, but riddle me this....did it utilize environmental mapping? Because if it DIDN'T, it was because it COULDN'T on the hardware at the time.
My point still stands, the n64 had something up it's sleeve since 1996 the pc wouldn't get until 2000 in games.

I arrived late to the N64 emulation scene in 2000, but I recall being able to play N64 games at higher framerates than the N64 versions. (Zelda OoT at ~30fps!) It depends on your PC and the emu you used. I used UltraHLE on a P3 450, 256 MB, TNT2 Ultra 32 MB.

Xav

solid2snake said:
what are you talking about dude? even today MGS1 looks nice (for that generation). it had amazing snow and fire effects and you saw the air coming out of the mouths of the characters :D
Your actually defending a game where the characters don't even have eyes.
mgsmeryl-192.jpg

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I recall Tobal 2 being very, very impressive back in the days. It was so sharp and smooth, 60 fps all the way. Ehrgeiz looked really good as well.

jett

D-Member
AntMurda said:
I AM FALSE!!! THE CPU AND THE RCP rape the playstation. The RAM was better. I AM FACT. The medium was worse. Emulating 64-bit wavetables was worse.

The SGI microcodes were a huge issue.

I only look at results, and results tell me the N64 had shit for textures and crap for polycounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom