• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the NEW NEW art thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy

Thanks for the kind words guys ---- I'll get more recent stuff uploaded to post later, and i feel like sketchin' tonight too so hopefully i can work up some cool stuff :)

Newbie, I've been without a scanner for so many years now that I entirely do concepts in photoshop --- but usually do a bunch of roughs traditionally and fill up my share of sketchbooks, but i always have a rough time painting scanned traditional linework in digitally because i get to attached to the linework ------ if i decide to do a paint, i'll usually never start with any line of any kind all chunks of digi-paint.

J2 Cool, tablets are essential --- and if you can, find a touch-screen ------- I've actually never used a traditional tablet, i went straight from sketchbooks and markers to a Cintiq and over the last year work on that and a Toshiba tablet-pc ------- Photoshop is your god, programs are essential (you wouldn't draw without pencils right?) - sure it'll sit there and cause frustration, but so will any other medium so you just have to work past that and practice.

Vark, :p where's the love of community!? AND why aren't you posting your pirates!?

Timo

mummyyny7.jpg

MUMMY KILLLLL

eso76

sammy said:
eso76, you're graphic sketches kick ****ing ass --- I'm happy the Otocon one was so huge to take up my screen, my jaw dropped more of those please :)

Oh, I hadn't checked this thread in a while, thanks for your comments ! even more appreciated from someone with such awesome skills :)
Basically, those sketches can get as big as you want since they're vectors.
I'm glad you liked those, will post more soon. You do the same ! :)

Ark-AMN

Banned
A big bump, and time for me to pollute the otherwise pristine (and exceptional) 2D art in this thread with some more of my 3D bilge. :D

GrandTempleMainHall.jpg

TheTempleCore.jpg

All works in progress of course (as is the Unreal Level they're shot from) and any updates I make will be applied to the pictures automatically when I upload the latest versions.

Jewbacca

Banned
Ark.. the effort it takes me to scroll threw your big ass pictures isnt worth it. Please stop posting your generic Turokish, Serious Samish UT level's because its nothing i havnt seen before. Shallow and pedantic.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Jewbacca said:
Ark.. the effort it takes me to scroll threw your big ass pictures isnt worth it. Please stop posting your generic Turokish, Serious Samish UT level's because its nothing i havnt seen before. Shallow and pedantic.
You don't like Turok or Serious Sam? You suck! :D

Nonetheless, I did take the opportunity to remove some images in my previous posts which did seem redundant.

Blargh - I lack a webhost, so it's unfinished shit.

Here's a thumbnail of a page layout for a stupid old west vampires vs. werewolves thing I got caught up in. :\

howlersp8ua0.gif

It's just for the approval from the writer. Then I'll give more consideration to the flow of the action and actual placement of the figures in the page.

Jewbacca said:

Wow, that's harsh, dumbass.

I think it's pretty good myself, Ark. It's true though that it lacks any kind of atmosphere.

J2 Cool

Jewbacca said:

What the hell Jewbacca? Maybe modeling isn't your thing.

Anyway, I like the Maya renders, specially the top one.

sammy

Jewbacca said:

woe woe .... way harsh ------- some of us are 3d modelers, others of us are 2d designers .. but gotta' have both together for the a production. and those rare people that can do both at same time probobly develop brain aneurisms ---

Timo, i dig the mummy :D

bump time --- i know peeps have gots some new stuff.
massive dump, buncha' stuff over the last weeks ---- i was productive, since i knew Okami would be commin' out soon:

drummerboy2.jpg

drummerboy1.jpg

tylosaurus%20canable%20flat.jpg

oviraptor.jpg

civil1.jpg

jimee5.jpg

tunnel%20web.jpg

jimeesketch2.jpg

tek%20lighthouse%202%20web.jpg

tek%20lighthouse%20web.jpg

chrome.jpg

sammy said:
massive dump, buncha' stuff over the last weeks ---- i was productive, since i knew Okami would be commin' out soon:

Goodness.. uhm, is it wrong to be aroused by the quality of some of that? Arousal in a purely interest and fascination sense, mind. Surely none of that got any of my various juices flowing. No, surely not. Haha, er.. please don't take offense.

I lament that I've not even an iota of artistic ability nesteled within my vessel. I'd compose a dirge, but I'd not wish to harsh any mellows. Keep up the good work, Sammy and all the rest of you talented artistes who have piqued my envy.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Wow, I wish I could do concept art like Sammy. But on second thought, hmm, hey sammy, would you mind if I took one of your concepts and modeled it in 3D? I could use some good practice in that regard. :)

EDIT: LOL, I noticed the NeoGAF insignia on the robot in the last picture. Cute. :D

Even more great shit from sammy. I'd love to see your work on canvas, but I know thats not really what you do.

I'd love to post some of my work, but I've got nothing to post. I'm doing shitloads of stuff, just nothing you guys need to see yet.

ha....I'll go ahead and follow sammy's post....(gulp)

I like seeing the 3D renders keep em coming Ark
I love your use of textures sammy, thats one of the things I really need to work on.

These are all done for conceptart.org:

etheralite.jpg

dreamcatcher12.jpg

coldcreekmonsta.jpg

explodingator.jpg

scarysafe12.jpg

element

**** yeah!!! Work from Sammy!! I always loved lurking at Conceptart.org for his work!!

I'd hire Sammy in a second if I was in charge.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Mmmm it always excites me to see the classic GAF art thread bumped to one of the front pages! You guys always impress and inspire me.

Anyway I just finished this tonight for Blizzard's art contest, so I might as well post it!:

ChrisGraham_BlizzContest.jpg

Ark-AMN

Banned
Alrighty. I decided to try something new rather than all the "Turokish/Serious Samish" stuff I've been doing. Here are some Maya renders of the Command Tower for a new Level I'm working on, and yeah, it's mapped out and such.
Command2.jpg

Command4.jpg

Command6.jpg

Sorry to those who hate to scroll through these things :D

I'm always happy for feedback of course. :)

sammy

Ark-AMN said:
Wow, I wish I could do concept art like Sammy. But on second thought, hmm, hey sammy, would you mind if I took one of your concepts and modeled it in 3D? I could use some good practice in that regard. :)

EDIT: LOL, I noticed the NeoGAF insignia on the robot in the last picture. Cute. :D

dude, feel free to go right ahead and model the hell outa' any of my designs - they're yours for the taking, they aren't from any games (other than some of my own game ideas or help for friends' ideas) ---- i'd be honored, you just have to come back show us the results :D

in response to your tech-stuff in your recent post, something that has always helped me with mechanical design - is simply to resort back to my industrial-design roots and follow the age-old "form follows function" creed ---- and everytime you add a new detail, articulation, texture, ect... ask yourself how effecient it is to have that 'something' there.
The new metal-gear walkers in the MGS4 trailers are good examples, they use 2 distinct technologies/aesthetics established earlier in the franchise --- combine them for very militant deaigns, and they don't add very many noobly-goobly fake details and greeblings. Sure they might look aquard at first --- but so would a hellicopter, to someone who's never seen one --- but once they start functioning, you know exactly what they're about (and that would be kicking ass) :D

kow yokoyama's stuff is good inspiration for militant mechanics: teh goooood shyt

DM_Uselink ----- good colors :) it's always nice to see nice colors used in concept-design lately, since it can be trendy lately for many things to be monochromatic or B&W ----- i really dig that last one.

here's some rough thumbnail sketches.. i usually do these things to brainstorm ideas for myself.

dragonfireteam4.jpg

jimee%20thumbnails.jpg

jimee%20thumbnails2.jpg

knights%20thumbnails.jpg

Ark-AMN

Banned
sammy said:
dude, feel free to go right ahead and model the hell outa' any of my designs - they're yours for the taking, they aren't from any games (other than some of my own game ideas or help for friends' ideas) ---- i'd be honored, you just have to come back show us the results :D

Wow! That's awesome thanks! I'll have a look see through all the stuff you posted and pick one that looks doable.

in response to your tech-stuff in your recent post, something that has always helped me with mechanical design - is simply to resort back to my industrial-design roots and follow the age-old "form follows function" creed ---- and everytime you add a new detail, articulation, texture, ect... ask yourself how effecient it is to have that 'something' there.

That's a very good train of thought, and I was trying to do some of that with the tower actually. For example, in the documentation I'm writing, the tower was previously a huge lighthouse which has been co-opted for use in this facility I'm building, and is continuously undergoing construction (they're still adding "tech-outer plating" to the lower section, as is evident by the girders and unfinished extrusions) though the top section is pretty much complete as that was most important part of the structure. Also most of the upper section was shaped going off some maps I had made as it would be a traversible part of my future level.
kow yokoyama's stuff is good inspiration for militant mechanics: teh goooood shyt
Whoah, those are indeed some nice designs. That stuff defninately shows off the "form follows function" mindset. Can't wait to see more of your stuff sammy, it is so awesome. :)

Raguel

Bored, so I decided to upload some sketches I made while in class.
afrosam.jpg

JamesH.jpg

MichaelandEve.jpg

These are not my best but about the only works I've done recently.

great work chumps, the first two are really charming

Gearharaden, your stuff isn't so bad. there's a certain cartoony style i like about it

Hey, for you guys with the fancy diplomas and more experience; how long on average does it take you to paint/color one of your images?

I'm trying to get a ballpark figure on how long I should be willing to invest in an image to get decent results.

I know, tough question to answer; but I figured it was worth getting a feel for how long Doc or Sammy spends on a colored piece just to give myself a yardstick to measure by.

Thanks.

thatbox

Banned
261189346_ca242b73dc_o.png

I've had this tablet for awhile but never got into using it. Now I want to and it's pretty hard to adjust. Any tips for getting used to it and avoiding shakies? I'll try taping some paper over the surface when I get home today to give it a little more resistance, I think.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Nice artwork GAFfers, keep it up.

TTOB... I'm real close to voting for your Cheetara art on PJ, but I can't until Makoi's entry shows up. So far though, I like yours more than the others.

Any tips for getting used to it and avoiding shakies?

Practice, obviously... but until you get there. Try drawing your lines at a really high resolution. Say five or six hundred DPI, then just size the pic down to whatever you're looking for. The reduction in size will hide, or even erase your shakies.

-Kid

Ark-AMN

Banned
Alright, here's just a sample of what I've been working on, its still WIP, but I'm hoping to complete it very soon.

dynamotest.jpg

I probably need to clear the glass up a bit more, looks like there's water inside atm.

I've also gone back and took out some of the more redundant pics I posted to clear up the thread a bit. :)

But Sammy, your stuff is offline, bring it back please? :D

Your artwork is so marvelous Sammy. I bow to you!
Chump and Timo has some charming art too.

The Take out Bandit: Cheetara's legs looks extremly messed up. Is it more or do I see a patch of hair on her chest?
:lol
Mercenary_by_kagemusha123.jpg

Assassin_Light_skin_version__by_kag.jpg

Her ass is kinda messed up.

Leon_S_Kennedy_1_by_kagemusha123.jpg

Wtf at the feet.

commisar_update_1_by_kagemusha123.jpg

Link_vs_Flame_Beast_colored.jpg

Ultra_Polished_Link_Painting_by_kagemusha123.jpg

bluemaverick.jpg

reonka.jpg

I'll see your Camel-Toe Psycho-Slut Cheetara™ and raise you a monochromatic (and unfinished) Disco-Knight Power-Rangers Batman©!

Strangely enough, I like it. Although Disco-ball Spiderman has you beat by a country mile!

The Take out Bandit: Cheetara's legs looks extremly messed up. Is it more or do I see a patch of hair on her chest?

Yeah, yeah - everybody has bitched at me for the legs already.

Yes, that's a tuft of hair. I was originally going to give her a fine fur texture all over her body, but I ****ed up my pencils and have no patience for that kind of work on a Wacom tablet. Yet.

I'm just going to ****ing redraw it, and make everyone that bitched about the anatomy and clits sorry! More muscles! More clit! *looks up muscle babe reference materials. . ." :D

The Take Out Bandit said:
Strangely enough, I like it. Although Disco-ball Spiderman has you beat by a country mile!

It's gotta be that awesome cha cha shoulder move he's doing. You just can't beat that kind of hawt pose action.

thatbox said:
I've had this tablet for awhile but never got into using it. Now I want to and it's pretty hard to adjust. Any tips for getting used to it and avoiding shakies? I'll try taping some paper over the surface when I get home today to give it a little more resistance, I think.

Shakeys usually means that you have something causing radio interference with your Wacom. It could be your monitor sometimes. Try drawing away from your monitor and see if it still does the shakeys.

sammy

element said:
I need to spend some time doing some work :(

Sammy, you need your images hosted again!!

my bandwidth was forcefully sodomized and is now hemorrhaging in a pile of its own vomit, due to another forum ------ it should be workin' shortly, and i'll be back with more stuff when it does :D

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Since I don't want to post anything following what's sure to be some really awesome shit from Sammy, I may as well put these up now.

GermanShepherd.jpg

Christina2.jpg

element

sammy said:
my bandwidth was forcefully sodomized and is now hemorrhaging in a pile of its own vomit, due to another forum ------ it should be workin' shortly, and i'll be back with more stuff when it does :D
awesome!

Ark-AMN

Banned
I think it is quite a nice painting indeed.

Of course, I always have a great appreciation for those who are skilled in the very traditional art techniques of oil or acryllics. I tried my hand at them once and things came out quite messy :D

Props to you for doing it right. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom