• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the NEW NEW art thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vark

Ark-AMN said:
Damn sammy, it is the industry's loss if no one has hired you for anything. Your stuff is just killer amazing!

:eek: :0 :eek:

The man is well compensated. Even if he can't draw the top of a drum to save his life ;)

metroid23

Sammy: That Sotc/ICO stuff is incredible. I would pay serious amounts of money for prints of those and would be honored to have them framed in my house. Have you ever considered selling them?

Those are just epic.

MrSingh

Wow.. Sammy and DM_link you guys are awesome!!

I don't have anything recent (and I haven't done anything in the last 8 years) but here's something from 16 years ago.

286566112_8b1ae5c9fb.jpg

kevm3

MrSingh said:
Wow.. Sammy and DM_link you guys are awesome!!

I don't have anything recent (and I haven't done anything in the last 8 years) but here's something from 16 years ago.

286566112_8b1ae5c9fb.jpg

nice art... really has that old school comic book vibe.

btw, what happened to consolewar and 3d-ring?

Saoh

hey guys, this might be a silly question so dont kill me :)

i just wanna know how can i draw those perfect comic outlines on photoshop? you guys do it only with a brush and 100% hardness?

i really need a tablet, asap :p

zalemale

here's a project i've been working on recently. Still playing around withe the lighting / textures though. 10 points to those who guess which game i got my inspiration from.

temple4.jpg

zalemale

The first thing that sprung to mind was "Shenmue Render."

congrats! 10 points to you sir.

actually i have never even played the game. there was a shot posted a while back in the "amazing game environments" thread (or something similar to that) which got my imagination going. The interior is completely rendered as well, so I hope to get a render from the inside and a night render finished as well.

Prax

Wow.. you guys are just too good. I wish that I could even end up half as good by the end of my artistic career! I just see all the stuff in this thread and am awestruck.

I really wish I had a better handle on photoshop and stuff, but I don't think I actually have the patience for it. Let me see if I can dig up something relevant to show here.. uhm..
Link_and_Zelda_C.jpg

Yes, lots of mistakes/laziness going on in the pic (colour balance, clouds, etc). XD I got bored of colouring after a few hours. Usually, I am lucky if I can get more than just flats onto my drawings. :)
geo-two_teamorange_c.jpg

Those guys are actually based off the Starfox team. >.> I think you can guess who is based off of who. I just had to make the characters mine though, so here they are, all changed up and human'ed to avoid copyright infringements. >.> This is what happens when you are kind of stuck in a fandom when you're twelve and you can't let go of your own characterizations of existing characters.

I seem to be much more patient when it comes to grinding my pencil crayons, but I haven't used them much for a few years now:
c-yuuki.JPG

This one is at least an original character (although with a slightly cliche look? You decide!). I actually don't do much fanart at all because I have too many original characters to worry about and baby. It's too bad I'm too slow/unambitious/scared to get stuff published or try to do art professionally. Everyone else is just too good and I fear even trying to compete...except in animenewsnetwork.com's Naruto fanart contests *cough*. I get to win in those.. >.>

Although if you wanna see more of my stuff, you can go to www.desertqueens.com. The website design is actually not very good and should have gotten an overhaul years ago, but it's too big and my cousin and I are too lazy to really recode everything. ^^

- Prax, flat-out-lucky.

MrSingh

kevm3 said:
nice art... really has that old school comic book vibe.

btw, what happened to consolewar and 3d-ring?

Thanks. Started working at the evil empire and got caught up with real life. What about you?

Not sure if it counts or not, but when I get bored at work, I use a program called ArtRage...most of these are electronic oils.

snake.jpg

firstone.jpg

horse.jpg

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Here's my two latest. The first is actually the first I'd done in over a year, and it was a giftart to somebody for getting the 20,000th hit on my deviantART account. He's got a bit of a Peach fixation, and he wanted some sort of romantic situation, but this is what I ended up coming up with.

peachgiftcg01dA.jpg

This second is something I did for a competition at a certain forum. It's actually missing a huge part of what made it specifically for that other forum, as it's on separate layers that I turned off for this version. If you really feel the need to see what I mean, the final product is on my deviantART gallery, but it's extremely NSFW.

gammafoodcg01dAgamma.jpg

Ark-AMN

Banned
I really need to find myself a tablet so I can put my 2D skills to use with Photoshop. I mean, I'm still jobless so I might as well use the time I've got for something good.

Anyway, I remember someone here told me to try and model something from real life (from a picture) for a change. Well, I actually had an art test that asked me to do that (the results of which I am still waiting for too). So here's what I did.

For reference, here's the image: http://www.erictopf.com/images/UrbanBuildingReferenceImage.jpg

And some notes on the restrictions I was put under:

* Had to be under 1500 tri-polys for the entire scene (I got it up to 1493)
* Only could use up to 512*512 resolution textures. And encouraged tiling some of them too
* No fancy shaders like normal, bump or displacement maps (not even specular). Just Alpha Opacity
* It was preferred to be renderd as a "nighttime" scene

UrbanBuilding1.jpg

UrbanBuilding4.jpg

But I got a "daytime" render of it anyway:
UrbanBuilding5.jpg

I actually liked doing this one a lot. I think I'll try my hand at other types of more realistic/urban things.

tnw

Banned
RSP said:
200665te.jpg

I'm just starting out, but i'm really getting into it.

This is beautiful. very emotive.

I'm taking a landscape drawing class right now, and this is inspirational.
I cannot draw, but am a huge appreciator. Wish I could put on paper what I see in my mind.

You people that can have a great skill.

Prax:
I really like the design of the suits for the first pic.

Jiggle:
You're doing a great job with the coloring and rendering. Her face and anatomy is a bit odd looking though.

Ark:
Really nice work with mapping. Have you created any maps for other engines besides unreal?

Prax

GeneralIroh said:
Prax:
I really like the design of the suits for the first pic.

Thanks!

And in anticipation of Twilight Princess, I also made this:

link-zelda-epona_c.jpg

Don't mind Epona's body so much. >.> I got kind of lazy around there.
On the other hand, Link is pretty cute!

Ark-AMN

Banned
GeneralIroh said:
Ark:
Really nice work with mapping. Have you created any maps for other engines besides unreal?
Heh, fraid not. Like many I had hoped to have Unreal Engine 3 in my hands by this Fall, but sadly not. And I hadn't tried to learn any other engine's in anticipation of that now defunct event.

Still, I am tempted to try using Source and maybe the Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights 2 toolsets.

This was needing a bump, if anything for everyone who hasn't yet seen sammy's incredible Ico-inspired art.
Thought I'd post some of my doodles, which usually come up to me when work is dead slow. Here's one that's supposed to be the main character in Persona 3. Haven't spent tens of hours with it yet, and it's all from memory, so I could already see how off and close I was with a lot of it when I got back home. =p

p3postym0.gif

Details: This was drawn entirely with a ballpoint pen in one of those teeny hotel notepads; the original is about 3"x4". No scanner, it's from a digital camera picture. Lightly retouched in photoshop, mostly to fix what the camera did to it.

So, who else has been drawing lately?

Ark-AMN

Banned
element said:
Ark-AMN, that is good progress. keep it up.

getting out of the fantasy stuff really helped.
Yeah, I think it also had to do with the fact that the "fantasy" stuff was really not the kind of style I was excited about (that "mayan" stuff was something I got had to do for a class project, and unfortunately it turned out to be my "best stuff" from school when I was graduating).

I definately want to try more realistic/sci-fi stuff now, and even a different style of fantasy would be fine too. I just need to get more creative in what I do, and start using much more polys than I've been using since next-gen really is here after all. Also, texture scaling seems to be becoming an issue and I have to nail that down as well.

And I'm also getting quite jealous of people's 2D skills here, which makes me want to get a tablet so I can get some 2D Photoshop art going as well.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Newbie said:
http://i15.tinypic.com/4416y55.jpg

Here's a better pic of one of those paintings. I'll be very surprised if anyone can guess what it's a painting of.

I really like the paintings you've posted in the thread, Newbie.

Hotarubi said:
I really like the paintings you've posted in the thread, Newbie.

Thanks man. Hopefully other people will think as much, and then maybe I can start selling some stuff on the side.

Edit: :lol Forgot to post the art

A1 abstract of railway tracks. Mostly an exercise in quick painting, still got a way to go.

Acamacho

Currently participating in the CGTalk lighting challenges. My entry WIP so far:

hallway_compTest_005.jpg

The model was given to us but we have to do the lighting and texturing. The challenges are here: Click Me

Ark-AMN: Really cool 3d work man!

Sammy: Just plain awesome. :)

Wow most of you guys are good. I need to learn how to use photoshop and illistrator effectively on my work (I like drawing/painting in black and white). Here are a couple samples.

Just a doodle on some American History work.
penart.png

The painting is much larger than this. I used acrylic on canvas...
12-10-2006082637PM.jpg

Savage She-Hulk throwing some shit I was too lazy to draw! Hua hua hua hua

I also pussied out on the face. I wanted crazy screaming psycho bitch; but I drew it several times, and it was pissing me off so I went with face.

shedoodles.jpg

I need to be less lazy. :X

Ark-AMN

Banned
Heh, I always love your comic art TTOB.

And Newbie, your fine art is pretty damn nice. :)

I might have something later today. Dunno yet if I'm happy with it

Newbie said:

Bunch of drawings of trees that i've done in the last month or so.

This is kind of the art I really dig the most. Pencil drawing by hand that comes to life seem real to me. I couldn't get enough of that style.

Since pencil drawings is my favorite style and i'm about to learn it when i get the chance.

I hope i get to see more of your pencil drawings (your true gift) from you NeoGafers soon. Don't forget to kick it up a notch to blow our minds! :D

Keep bumping the threads!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom