• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the NEW NEW art thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Man Newbie, again, your fine art is very impressive.

Anyways, here's another 'soulless' 3D model I've made. Heh, I know, I'm being harsh on myself, but I've finally begun to notice how pedantic my stuff really is, especially compared to what is out there. And I'm not completely happy about this one either, but I 'think' it's better than most of my other stuff (not saying much with that of course).

Oh well, this particular model was sort of a milestone for me because it was my first serious attempt at using 3DS Max instead of Maya. Getting the nuances of the Max pipeline was a bit frustrating at first, but now, there are many things in that program that I prefer over what Maya does, of course, there are similar amount of things I still prefer in Maya over Max.

Anyway, this model is pretty straightfoward, because I was using another real-world reference to base it on. In this case, a building from the Nakano Sakue district in Japan which I found a photo of:

The Reference Picture

So, I pretty much had that angle to go on, and had to figure out the roof for myself and was a bit creative on that part. Didn't really bother with the backsides though (they're there, they're just not to look at). So, about 5000 polys later plus some of my crappy texturing skills, this is what I came up with.

skyscraper1.jpg

skyscraper2.jpg

Oh well, at the very least I'm now very aquainted with how to use MAX right, and now I can put it on my resume properly. :D

El Papa said:
Really like these sketches, great rendering. :)

Thanks man, it means a lot to get kind words about my drawings after the amount I had to work on them. There is obviously a lot more for me to learn, but looking back at the drawings i was doing in October last year compared to these is night and day.

Ark-AMN said:
I'm being harsh on myself, but I've finally begun to notice how pedantic my stuff really is

Someone told me once that the worst kind of artist is the one who is happy with their work, dont be afraid to criticize the shit out of your work, it's just going to make the next one better.

Newbie said:

some more stuff

if you were to sell that how much would you want, just curious?

also Ark-AMN those are HUGE improvements. Huge. good going guy.

The tree drawings are impressive too.

also Take Out can I update my avatar with your colored panda?

Tomorrow I will scan and upload a pic I drew of me sexing up a dolphin as a child. I really like this thread.

Father_Mike said:
your joking right? how bigs the picture? also whats Boognish that you guys were mentioning further up?

The picture is pretty small, it's only about 10"x8". And Booginish is just the mascot guy for the band Ween.

Newbie said:
The picture is pretty small, it's only about 10"x8". And Booginish is just the mascot guy for the band Ween.

do you have anymore paintings in the same style? also would you be willing to sell it?

Newbie said:
No, and maybe. I'd need to sort out shipping and stuff. How much would you pay?

lol I don't know! thats the thing I asked not even considering I could have the money for it because I thought I was thinking it would be in the hundreds, lol and then you posted 25 and I was like holly shit that would so go iwith my room for $25. shipping would be the deciding factor I think . where are you? im in canada sk....I'll let you know what I'd pay tomorrow because right now im very tired and need sleep for school....you can tell im tired couse I've started to ramble, lol. anyways man thats amazing work. ever thought about being an professional artist? or some kind of career in art?

Father_Mike said:
shipping would be the deciding factor I think . where are you?

I'm in Ireland, dont know how much shipping would be to canada

ever thought about being an professional artist? or some kind of career in art?

Thats the plan, i'm getting my portfolio together so I can go to art college next year.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I could see you becoming a Storyboard Artist, Newbie since I'm getting that sense from some of your work.

Also, I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the roof of my building. It still kind of feels rather drab to me, but I'm not sure what to place. I'm open to suggestions on it. :D

skyscraper3.jpg

Ark-AMN said:
Also, I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the roof of my building. It still kind of feels rather drab to me, but I'm not sure what to place. I'm open to suggestions on it. :D

Better textures. Seriously... it has no character, no wear, no "life". What is your theme? Where does this building exist? Does your building have a story and can we figure out some of that store by it's look and feel?

Where are your concept sketches?

Ark-AMN said:
I could see you becoming a Storyboard Artist, Newbie since I'm getting that sense from some of your work.

skyscraper3.jpg

I'd make the smoke stacks red and white to add color. maybe spot lights or warning lights for planes on the top. A flag pole? it looks like anyother building of this kind so im not sure what more you want from it.

The biggest thing I see is the texturing. (Espacilly in the area above the pyramid glass windows - it looks really flat and dull). I know texturing is not your favorite thing but try m making it look like a more interesting cement. Maybe like this http://web.mit.edu/~dfhuynh/www/Graduate Life/Construction/Concrete wall.jpg

Newbie I thought about it, I don't think I can do anymore than $50 U.S. shipped. because I have a $700 fountain I'm making that I have to pay off this month - and after that its just a long string of payments for other things up till summer. So if shipping is something outrageous like 25 I'd rather wait and see if I can give you more for it latter.

also I'd like to see some other pics of that painting - like maybe a distance shot and on a an angle if you could?

Ark-AMN

Banned
eudaemonic said:
Better textures. Seriously... it has no character, no wear, no "life". What is your theme? Where does this building exist? Does your building have a story and can we figure out some of that store by it's look and feel?

Where are your concept sketches?
umm, I said in the post I was going of a reference picture (which I linked to). That's the only story I have for this structure. And in the pic, I don't see much wear, it looks like a pretty new building. Of course, one can't see the roof

Father_Mike said:
I'd make the smoke stacks red and white to add color. maybe spot lights or warning lights for planes on the top. A flag pole? it looks like anyother building of this kind so im not sure what more you want from it.

The biggest thing I see is the texturing. (Espacilly in the area above the pyramid glass windows - it looks really flat and dull). I know texturing is your favorite thing but try m making it look like a more ingesting cement. Maybe like this http://web.mit.edu/~dfhuynh/www/Graduate Life/Construction/Concrete wall.jpg

Ah, thank you, that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Hmm, for some reason I have a bad tendency to forget I do have a texture library with those kinds of things. I should sort through it and see if there's anything there I can use. :)

Ark-AMN was just looking at it again and noticed a few things with the modeling

skyscraper3copy.jpg

also could you render it at a few different angles?

hobbitx

neighborhoodhaulinguppa5.jpg

Picture I did in Illustrator as a card and truck logo for my dad's new moving and hauling buisness he's setting up. I wanted to do more realistic people and some other stuff, but he needed it finished asap for the printers he dealt with.

...and the painter pictures have totally inspired me, like Dm's and the others, great stuff. I'm working on something now in Painter with my new tablet having lots of fun.

IMHO and to be honest with you.... computer drawing is not really an art and it's really cheating.

You letting the machine do the job for you even though you mentally see it in your mind's eyes. That's how i see it.

It's not that i don't appreciate the work you put into it but still i can't wrap my mind to accept it. Bah, maybe it's just me though. It's different for everyone.

Jade Knight 08 said:
IMHO and to be honest with you.... computer drawing is not really an art and it's really cheating.

You letting the machine do the job for you even though you mentally see it in your mind's eyes. That's how i see it.

It's not that i don't appreciate the work you put into it but still i can't wrap my mind to accept it. Bah, maybe it's just me though. It's different for everyone.

Then I guess you don't think Photography is not art as well, letting the camera do all the work. :p

Jade Knight 08 said:

Art is anything where you put energy into and has a creative freedom to it. I do understand what you mean, and in my mind I will always think of some one who does illustrator or photoshop as a lesser artist that some one who uses oils or pencil. But really a program is just a tool - just like a brush, and your using that tool to reach your own vision.

hobbitx

IMHO and to be honest with you.... computer drawing is not really an art and it's really cheating. You letting the machine do the job for you even though you mentally see it in your mind's eyes. That's how i see it. It's not that i don't appreciate the work you put into it but still i can't wrap my mind to accept it. Bah, maybe it's just me though. It's different for everyone.

I wish my computer would draw this stuff for me sometimes. Everything you see in my drawing is a shape that I had to manipulate with my mouse and alt key using the pen tool. May sound simple and I don't want to over emphasize my efforts, but that can be some pretty painful and tedious stuff. I often do long for times when I can just just whip out the pen and just whisk certain shapes up.
objectsvg1.jpg

My f'ing wrist! So much pulling and tugging! :) (pun not intended, but ok if aplied!)

Father_Mike said:
Newbie I thought about it, I don't think I can do anymore than $50 U.S. shipped. because I have a $700 fountain I'm making that I have to pay off this month - and after that its just a long string of payments for other things up till summer. So if shipping is something outrageous like 25 I'd rather wait and see if I can give you more for it latter.

also I'd like to see some other pics of that painting - like maybe a distance shot and on a an angle if you could?

I doubt shipping would be that much, it's only a small canvas. I'd say it would be no more than $10-$12.

(they are a little washed out because of the flash)

Ark-AMN

Banned
Father_Mike said:
Ark-AMN was just looking at it again and noticed a few things with the modeling

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l181/Father_Mike/skyscraper3copy.jpg

also could you render it at a few different angles?
Hmm, I made a few MINOR changes, which should be reflected in the pics above since they update when I upload a new version. Probably not good enough yet, but I need to head out now.

As for the idea of making the trimming more profiled, that could be a tad difficult since as of now its just a Normal Map giving it that protrusion (in actuality, its a flat surface), so I'd have to go in and alter the geometry, which will in turn mess up the UV's, etc.

But hey, it could be interesting. Other than that, I've gone and dirtied up the building a bit, so its not as nice and pristine as it was (sigh) :(

The Take Out Bandit: can I update my avatar with your coloured version?

Edit: About the new pic. Fur on the boobs too, lol

Ark-AMN: looks a lot better with the new texture and the dirtier look.

Edit: it changed again. I like the added pipes. though I would go back to the old texture (the cement with holes) for the wall behind the pyrimid. its also too dirty now on the right side of the pic, lol.

Newbie: so is $50 US shipped ok then? paypal good?

Father_Mike said:
Newbie: so is $50 US shipped ok then? paypal good?

I'll sort out the shipping cost over the weekend. Unfortunately I cant take paypal due to a lack of a credit card, would you be able to send a money order?

Ark-AMN

Banned
Father_Mike said:
Ark-AMN: looks a lot better with the new texture and the dirtier look.

Edit: it changed again. I like the added pipes. though I would go back to the old texture (the cement with holes) for the wall behind the pyrimid. its also too dirty now on the right side of the pic, lol.
Hehe, figures. They say make it dirty, and I go overboard. lol I guess I can see how that texture is too dirty, but I figured since it was a roof (subjected to the harshness of the elements) it would be so, but again, maybe I overdid it. :O

Anyway, I decided to try out and see if I could do some nighttime rendering using 3ds MAX as well, and of course, I used the same model.

skynight1.jpg

skynight2.jpg

Powerslave said:
you guys totally werent impressed by my beautiful art I spent so much hours on :(

I'm really interested doing that kind of art. Pencil drawing style.

Few questions if you don't mind me asking?:

1.) What kind of art tools do you used?
2.) Did you use any books that helps you to achieved your abilities?
3.) How long did it takes you to perfect your drawing skills?

I know it will take me forever to hone my skills to get that quality what you did in that pix.

The only tools i have on me is this:

1 HB pencil
1 B pencil
1 of the book (Pencil Magic) that helps me understands how to do the shading, filling, understanding the abilitly..... that kind of stuff.

edited: ^...just added the title name of the book.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Powerslave said:
you guys totally werent impressed by my beautiful art I spent so much hours on :(
Your rendering is frighteningly accurate :D

If you can do that with human or animal models, you're definately set. :)

WAITASEC, before crushing anybody's dreams....you guys DO know that I didnt draw that from the top of my head, do you? I made that in class, drawing it from looking at a real cloth that had been hung up. Please tell me you did know this :(

Ark-AMN

Banned
Powerslave said:
WAITASEC, before crushing anybody's dreams....you guys DO know that I didnt draw that from the top of my head, do you? I made that in class, drawing it from looking at a real cloth that had been hung up. Please tell me you did know this :(
Oh yeah, I've tried that before myself, and I assure you, it didn't look anywhere near as good as what you've done. :D

Junpei Heat

I liked your art powerslave certainly better than mine and the real cloth is right above the one you drew so Im pretty sure everybody knows

Jade Knight 08 said:

I know it will take me forever to hone my skills to get that quality what you did in that pix.

1 HB pencil
1 B pencil
1 of the book (forgot the title name) that helps me understands how to do the shading, filling, understanding the abilitly..... that kind of stuff.

All you should need is an HB pencil and good quality art paper. Learn to use an HB before using other pencils. All shading can be done with an HB you just need to layer it. Harder leads can make a real mess of your work if you don't know how to use them. If your just starting you can blend shades with your finger - it wont look nearly as nice but its easy.

Father_Mike said:
All you should need is an HB pencil and good quality art paper. Learn to use an HB before using other pencils. All shading can be done with an HB you just need to layer it. Harder leads can make a real mess of your work if you don't know how to use them. If your just starting you can blend shades with your finger - it wont look nearly as nice but its easy.

Thanks for the tip!!

Jade Knight 08 said:

1 HB pencil
1 B pencil
1 of the book (Pencil Magic) that helps me understands how to do the shading, filling, understanding the abilitly..... that kind of stuff.

edited: ^...just added the title name of the book.

1. I dunno what type, but its some kind of chalk. I used 3 colors of it. White, Black and Grey. Here's a pic:

dsc00575ri3.jpg

2. No. I never used any books. I learned to draw from drawing stuff I like. I used to draw Dragonball Z a lot. But that was my second 'era' of my drawing life. My first was from age 3-12. Then there was a break for 2 years and then when I became a huge DBZ fan I had dbz books and pictures and I used to copy them. Which brings me to...
3. I am very VERY good at copying things. Dont know what the exact english word is but..you know, looking at something and then drawing it. But I lack a bit when I have to draw something totally out of my head. I havent quite figured it out if this is supposed to be called a 'superb ability' or not. I mean, what is called better: to copy-draw PERFECTLY well or to create and draw things out of your head?
But then I think of the ancient painters who used to paint stuff they saw, you know legendary paintings from Rembrandt and such. Did they also copy-draw or just drew it out of their head?

now about the tools. I confess that I dont like using any other tool than just a simple pencil. I NEVER paint or use chalk or whatever else type of tool there is. I think drawing is something you consider 'fairly easy and do-able' when you start young, then instead of completely starting at first with drawing at a later age. Tell me a bit more about your drawing history.

Junpei Heat said:
I liked your art powerslave certainly better than mine and the real cloth is right above the one you drew so Im pretty sure everybody knows

this is so totally freaking awesome :D
Did you really think that the pic above was the actual cloth and the pic below the drawing?
Dude! they're both the same drawing! The one below is just shot with a bad quality cell phone camera, the above with a digital camera.
This is ultimate satisfaction :)

Ark-AMN

Banned
Powerslave said:
this is so totally freaking awesome :D
Did you really think that the pic above was the actual cloth and the pic below the drawing?
Dude! they're both the same drawing! The one below is just shot with a bad quality cell phone camera, the above with a digital camera.
This is ultimate satisfaction :)
LOL, I too thought the top picture was a shot of the REAL cloth. But you're saying its the same one? Man, you are good. :lol

Timbuktu

The is indeed a brilliantly rendered piece of cloth Powerslave. There is a Rockwell-like precision to it, well lit and composed. Would love to see more of your stuff. I also like the abstract quality, although I don't know if you chose the subject matter or not.

I'm gonna like to see how close I can match that now. Not an exact copy of course, but it's be a long time since I've done still-life.

Zio

a combination of this thread and seeing my friend who is an artist do her paintings has kinda made me wanna try it. my personal canvas of choice is music, but i'd like to see what i could do with paint. to paint, does one generally need to be good at drawing? is there a good place to start for beginners? you all are very talented, and i'm sure you've worked long and hard at your art. where do you think would be a good resource to start learning and start painting. any tips?

please dont tell me google :lol

to paint, does one generally need to be good at drawing?

I don't believe it's required. Look at any high school art class. :p

is there a good place to start for beginners?

Again - see also high school art classes. My Republiclown art teacher would force us to listen to Rush Limbaugh and select an image out of a magazine to paint.

I failed at this because photo-realism and life drawing is not my shit. It's like putting a vagina in front of Naked Snake. Oh god how I hated it, combine that with the fact that my brain doesn't do any interpretational conversion - it has to be 1:1 photo-realism, which was just tedious and turned out a number of horrible paintings.

However there was this kid in my class who had no interest in drawing, and he'd just paint as an assignment; and he cranked out some pretty nice stuff like a machine.

So just start by painting a photo and go from there.

Just get some cheap watercolors and a big pad of paper.

Your local public library should have any number of art tutorial / theory books to read at your leisure. Check out Watercolor School by Hazel Harrison.

Ark-AMN: You're bitching about getting a job in the industry, I might suggest upping the ante. Single buildings aren't going to cut it anymore. Make a cityscape or a scene. Something other than building after building.

What you're doing now is like my shitty pin-ups. Marvel/DC/Archie isn't going to hire me because I can eke out a pin-up every six months. They want someone that can tell a story using pictures.

Tell us a story.

At the very least, I'd like to see how potential employers react to it afterward.

Ark-AMN

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Ark-AMN: You're bitching about getting a job in the industry, I might suggest upping the ante. Single buildings aren't going to cut it anymore. Make a cityscape or a scene. Something other than building after building.

What you're doing now is like my shitty pin-ups. Marvel/DC/Archie isn't going to hire me because I can eke out a pin-up every six months. They want someone that can tell a story using pictures.

Tell us a story.

At the very least, I'd like to see how potential employers react to it afterward.

Hmm, did you really have to bring that stuff in here? I know I've done it in other threads but I've tried to keep this thread about Art and only art. Nonetheless, I'll take your advice into consideration, but scenes do take a while to make since they're made up of lots and lots of props.

It's relevant because it could help you score work, and it will be nice to see something that isn't a building floating in space. That's pretty dull dude.

I mean I guess if you're trying to land an FX job for a Die Hard flick and you need to build a CG replica of a building to blow up or something - yeah; but it's kind of dull compared to something like say. . .

mazingerzcg02fn0.jpg

So let's see you mix it up a bit.

Hell, maybe try something sneaky like make a replica of a building from a photograph, and insert it into the original photograph and see if we can tell the difference. Something with some punch.

Or try some people or monsters. Anything but another building. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom