• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the NEW NEW art thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0dus

Banned
more

7.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

Milchjon

recent oil, badly scanned and not quite finished yet, i don't think. not very happy with it. any suggestions?

I like this painting, and I don't know much about such things, but I think maybe the ceiling is the problem? (crop it or whatever...)

m0dus

Banned
Oh hey, if we're posting 3D stuff . . .

Some character work:

8.jpg

9.jpg

and apologies to Mr. Anno :lol :

12.jpg

13.jpg

Er . . . trust me. Don't ask. :lol
11.jpg

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
As always, excellent work everyone! :)

I just finished this a little while ago. It was done for an art challenge on another forum where the criteria was Darth Vader using a chiaroscuro technique. Enjoy.
ChiaroscuroDarthVader.jpg

Imagine this guy with chocolate brown skin:

hugeretardedT.jpg

For some reason this silly bastard sent me his picture of him in a bad afro wig and sez, "DRAW ME! But change the clothes and put a microphone in my hand"

About a year later he got his wish. :lol

New webhost, get! Now I can finally upload bunches o'dung!
I'll be revamping the actual site later on.

Captain Commando's Babyhead
babyhead.jpg

Failed Iron Man redesigns for that Draw Off:
ironman001.jpg

ironman002.jpg

ironman003.jpg

A Mystique redesign doodle:
mystique.jpg

Failed Jamborees:

Ninja v. Pirate
ninjavpirate.jpg

Pandas
pandapool.jpg

Catwoman V. Black Cat doodle
pussyfight.jpg

Pracitcing my anatomy after Cheetara draw-off bitching
runner.jpg

Tim Sale style Catwoman:
salecatwoman.jpg

Self portraits, oh I hate me:
scaryme.jpg

scootfatty.jpg

Page o' crap:
shulkiedoodles.jpg

She Hulk reaction doodle:
shulkieoveralls.jpg

"Hey guys, that's just my style" Spider-Man:
spidurrman.jpg

At some point we was gonna draw the Thing around here:
thething.jpg

For Howlers, and crap Transformer heads:
vampirejack.jpg

Pachinko

Seriously takeout, there are some amazing artists in this whole thread that allready seem to have jobs or are gunning for them and you should be one of them. Ever since the tecmo forums days I've wondered why you were't allready doing some work for a big comic company, you are at your worst still better then half the shit out there and at your best you seem just as good as the pros out there today. You're style comes off as unique which is a good thing in this day an age of Joe Mad And Jim Lee copycats.

I'm a casual animu artist with no hope of finding work with this stuff but I'm sure you could pull it off. Course I'm most assuradly not the first person to tell you this and likely won't be last.

Pachinko said:
Seriously takeout, there are some amazing artists in this whole thread that allready seem to have jobs or are gunning for them and you should be one of them. Ever since the tecmo forums days I've wondered why you were't allready doing some work for a big comic company, you are at your worst still better then half the shit out there and at your best you seem just as good as the pros out there today. You're style comes off as unique which is a good thing in this day an age of Joe Mad And Jim Lee copycats.

I'm a casual animu artist with no hope of finding work with this stuff but I'm sure you could pull it off. Course I'm most assuradly not the first person to tell you this and likely won't be last.

TToB is a man held back only by his self doubt. *nods to self*

TToB is a man held back only by his self doubt. *nods to self*

That and Cleveland, among other things.

I may as well be selling laptops to cavemen.

I've designed race cards for friends that people have loved; but no hits to my inbox soliciting more work.

I've tried to scare up local cartoonists for some kind of collaboration because for some retarded reason I respond/react better when I work with other people, but they never show. It's just fun and exciting. Always has been. Don't know why, I work better when I'm complimenting someone else's work. I know these bastards are out there. I've seen their profiles and work on cartooning boards. I can smell their fear.

None of the cretin local bands around here are interested in Coop! / Hess style posters, unless you're Hess; because he's from Cleveland and we'd rather blow our Taco Bell wages on him than someone who could knock out something just as well for a fraction of the price.

Plus - **** the American comic book industry.

Yeah, I want to be just another asshole drawing ****ing Spider-Man and padding Marvel LLC's ****ing coffers. **** that shit.

Unless you're one of those idiots who's childhood dream is to draw Bat/Spider/Super/X-Man the same ****ing way it's always been done.

Jesus Christ.

When's my people gonna be liberated, oh lawd! Whens?!

But hey, I reckon the rank and file of the American comic ghetto is better than feigning sympathy for some dickhead in New York that demands an explanation why he wasn't personally ****ing notified when the god damn RightFAX server was rebooted.

Jesus shit.

Yeah, maybe once I move to some place where there's a culture (nevermind you that ****ing bullshit about Cleveland's "arts" community, unless mugging, shooting, and beating up old ladies is an art these days) that supports the creative mind, and the participants aren't a bunch of god damned shut-ins. This city is so ****ing full of shit.

And the next asshole that compares me to Harvey Pekar is getting shanked. Pekar doesn't even draw his own shit you latte sippin' ****tard! Back on your overly tall coffee bar stool and get your god damned nose back in whatever pompous art-rag you're reading and stop trying to throw the cartoon dog a bone.

Saoh

wow, lots of nice works in here :) im ashamed to post my work and wallpapers :lol :lol

i was wondering if anyone could help me. i wanted to know what software do you guys use to color you work? for example this:

DM_Uselink said:

that is all kinds of awesome, is that done with a tablet? and using photoshop? 'cuz coloring with layers and mouse is a pain :(:( but i want to improve my work :)

thxs! and i wont post anything here :lol :p

The Take Out Bandit said:
That and Cleveland, among other things.

I may as well be selling laptops to cavemen.

I've designed race cards for friends that people have loved; but no hits to my inbox soliciting more work.

I've tried to scare up local cartoonists for some kind of collaboration because for some retarded reason I respond/react better when I work with other people, but they never show. It's just fun and exciting. Always has been. Don't know why, I work better when I'm complimenting someone else's work. I know these bastards are out there. I've seen their profiles and work on cartooning boards. I can smell their fear.

None of the cretin local bands around here are interested in Coop! / Hess style posters, unless you're Hess; because he's from Cleveland and we'd rather blow our Taco Bell wages on him than someone who could knock out something just as well for a fraction of the price.

Plus - **** the American comic book industry.

Yeah, I want to be just another asshole drawing ****ing Spider-Man and padding Marvel LLC's ****ing coffers. **** that shit.

Unless you're one of those idiots who's childhood dream is to draw Bat/Spider/Super/X-Man the same ****ing way it's always been done.

Jesus Christ.

When's my people gonna be liberated, oh lawd! Whens?!

But hey, I reckon the rank and file of the American comic ghetto is better than feigning sympathy for some dickhead in New York that demands an explanation why he wasn't personally ****ing notified when the god damn RightFAX server was rebooted.

Jesus shit.

Yeah, maybe once I move to some place where there's a culture (nevermind you that ****ing bullshit about Cleveland's "arts" community, unless mugging, shooting, and beating up old ladies is an art these days) that supports the creative mind, and the participants aren't a bunch of god damned shut-ins. This city is so ****ing full of shit.

And the next asshole that compares me to Harvey Pekar is getting shanked. Pekar doesn't even draw his own shit you latte sippin' ****tard! Back on your overly tall coffee bar stool and get your god damned nose back in whatever pompous art-rag you're reading and stop trying to throw the cartoon dog a bone.

Also, TToB is plum kerazy. *nods to self*

Saoh

The Take Out Bandit said:
Here's a handy PS coloring video this guy made.

Should help.

that DID help a lot :) :) i used to color with a medium base and then add light/shadows with the dodge/burn tool. i tried to recreate that guys technique and this is what i got:

arte1.jpg

:D

btw, here's a scrap i did that's on devianart, i know its not "art" but it took me a while to do this work :p

fuegocopy.jpg

now all i need is a wacom tablet :(

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
GeneralIroh said:
Hmmmm no comments for my doodles : /
Don't let that discourage you from posting more art. A lot of the art posted do not get commented on. It doesn't mean that they go unappreciated.

Mario_Hugo

Lisa Edelstein's dad touched my private parts. True fact.
Props to everyone – really like Chumps work and Laguna's dog...

Have a new website with a bunch of group show work and some new stuff for Hanne Hukkleberg and Dolce & Gabanna:

http://www.loveworn.com

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Congrats Mario_Hugo! Getting an invite to do work in D&G's anniversary book is huge. Also, the new look to your website is much nicer than before.

Mallika

I wish I was half as talented as a lot of you here. Amazing work.

Laguna X -- I absolutely adore the German Shepherd portrait.

MrCheez said:
Anyway I just finished this tonight for Blizzard's art contest, so I might as well post it!:
ChrisGraham_BlizzContest.jpg
I hope you win, MrCheez. That's damn great. When are the results known?

Mallika

Here's a drawing of a lizard-type warrior/hunter I created a long while ago:

lizardman.jpg

(Not as amazing as most of the other artwork displayed in the thread, and I know the shading is off, but thought I'd share anyway. :) )

NakedCosmonaut:

Good comic man. Your perspective's a little wonky, but the pacing and narrative read well. And for a comic, that's what's imortant.:D

Mallika:

I'm guessing you're not an artist per se, yes? Well right or wrong, there is a lot of heart in this and nuance as well. Next time you draw something like this, even though it's fairly fantastical, just find something from life that's similar to give you a good idea of how light should jive with everything.

Good stuff guys!

Oh yeah, and Take-out, you're not bad at all. Your more 'serious' work is a little stiff, which you might want to be aware of. I'm more a fan of your cartooning, personally. And FWIW I wouldn't compare you to Pekar at all. The hatching to me brings to mind more of an eastern niche comic feel. It's very nice though, and you should maybe be aware of that too as you develop.

Lookin' good everybody.

Maybe we should put together a GAF anthology? The gaming board's already making a game, I believe.

I was about to complain about not enough people commenting on the artwork until i realized that I hadn't even commented.

TTOB: Great stuff as always. I'd love to see what you would come up with if you went with something less cartoonish, not that you should change your style, just that it would be interesting.

P.S. Do you use pink pencils, or is that a PS alteration?

Mallika: The drawing shows talent, but it also shows that you were making it up out of your head. The drawing lacks texture and a depth of tones. Next time use reference for everything in the drawing, and try and include tones from complete black to complete white, it will make it look less careful.

Mario_Hugo: Congrats on the recent success. I always thought your stuff was amazing.

And to everyone, what happened to traditional mediums? Too few people seem to be bothered to use paints here.

Anything really, just something less structured that what you're doing now. Not even necessarily less cartoonish. Just get a canvas and some paints and start painting, see what you come up with.

Timbuktu

Newbie said:
And to everyone, what happened to traditional mediums? Too few people seem to be bothered to use paints here.

I guess photographing paintings and getting them onto computer just requires that bit more effort.

Here's another old one, partial scan of a still life. Rather dry stuff. I'll try to post more.

orangeshk3.jpg

Anything really, just something less structured that what you're doing now. Not even necessarily less cartoonish. Just get a canvas and some paints and start painting, see what you come up with.

Ah - I've been meaning to dick around with watercolors; but I really have no patience. :p

Maybe on the computer. Once I upgrade. Ye olde G4 450mhz x2 is okay; but not super duper.

Once I'm out of debt I think I'll save up for a 24" iMac. It's like looking at the face of God.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Nice work guys, excellent like always.

Timbuktu, that's one crazy-assed awesome painting. Those oranges look good enough to eat.

Mallika

KidGalactus and Newbie, thank you for the pointers! I'll make more use of references and such -- you're right that I did it kind of out of my head. I just kind of thought of a description and went from there.

Futureman

I colored my drawing:

eyecolor.jpg

This is the first time I've ever tried coloring something like this. I basically watched that photoshop coloring tutorial vid and did this. Any other sites or little movies with tips on coloring?

sammy

mono2.jpg

mono1.jpg

mono5.jpg

mono4.jpg

mono3.jpg

that's from a personal little fan-project of mine --- the result of good brainstorming with good hardcore nerd buddies (more on that in the future)

here's some other recent stuff too:

viacom_sap.jpg

farewellthunderchild.jpg

drummerboy3.jpg

drummerboy4.jpg

trianble%20thumbnails.jpg

Ark-AMN

Banned
Damn sammy, it is the industry's loss if no one has hired you for anything. Your stuff is just killer amazing!

:eek: :0 :eek:

okno

Here are two drawings I'm working on, and a finished drawing (the only actually finished thing I've done in about two years). Scanner is broken, so cell phone pics:

DSC00115-1.jpg

This is just something I started today. I'm about to start to color it in and flesh it out a bit more. I just hope I don't get overzealous.

DSC00114.jpg

Just something I've been coming back to here and there for about three weeks. It'll materialize into something soon.

coloured.png

This is one I did with a friend of mine over the summer. 11x17 posterboard with Bic permanent markers. Everything on the right side is mine, the rest is a big mish-mash between my friend and I. Sat down and did not stop once for five hours.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/NoodleOGorillaz/DSC00089.jpg This is a higher resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom