• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new PS5’s optional disc drive requires an internet connection to connect

ManaByte

As spotted on the back of the box for the upcoming Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 PS5 slim bundle, small print confirms that players who purchase the new model with the optional drive will be required to connect to the internet when pairing it to a machine for the first time.

It’s likely that this is a security measure in order to ensure that the disc drive is a legitimate one and not a third party. However, it has raised some preservation concerns.

Because the accessory will require an internet connection for verification, there will potentially come a time when the servers needed to verify the license will no longer be operational.

"Because the accessory will require an internet connection for verification, there will potentially come a time when the servers needed to verify the license will no longer be operational."

But if it's a one-time verification then this is a non-issue.

They'll likely close the servers when this PS5 model is no longer being produced...like 5+ years after they've closed production.

Mr Moose

Wouldn't that be for Modern Warfare 3 or is there an image saying it is for the drive?
I can't read shit on that article they linked.
Screenshot-2023-10-24-191224-1024x677.jpg

Edit:Oh there's tweets? I had cookies disabled.
F9Pcxd2XUAIq6sU

Last edited:

Mowcno

They'll likely close the servers when this PS5 model is no longer being produced...like 5+ years after they've closed production.
Even longer. There's basically no reason something like this should ever be shut down. I mean PS3 has been discontinued for over 6 years and that can still download games which has infinitely more server requirements for Sony than a simple online check-in like this.

I expect if in the event it did finally get shutdown there would be unofficial work arounds by then anyway. Just as the PS2 and Original Xbox have unofficial online servers.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

The console itself required an internet connection when it launched otherwise all you could do is play your offline games via disk and even then I'm pretty sure keys and and encryption was out of whack.

FeralEcho

Even longer. There's basically no reason something like this should ever be shut down. I mean PS3 has been discontinued for over 6 years and that can still download games which has infinitely more server requirements for Sony than a simple online check-in like this.

I expect if in the event it did finally get shutdown there would be unofficial work arounds by then anyway. Just as the PS2 and Original Xbox have unofficial online servers.
Well ofc you can still download PS3 games,If I paid for them i should be able to access my library for a hundred years for all i care, It's not a damn rent. But Sony can fuck around and find out if they really wanna mess with consumer's libraries which is why i don't think they'll mess with these types of servers due to the shitstorm it would ensue.

Still....online only check ins for stuff that has nothing to do with online will never stop being retarded but companies will still be swinging their greedy dicks around and consumers will still be happy enough to defend them while they take it in the rear.

SomeGit

"Because the accessory will require an internet connection for verification, there will potentially come a time when the servers needed to verify the license will no longer be operational."

But if it's a one-time verification then this is a non-issue.

Sony isn’t Nintendo, it will be around for longer.
Still this isn’t good.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I assume it pairs the drive to a console and ensures that the two pieces of hardware haven't been modified in some way? If you think about it, it's a bit of a security / copyright risk. This port is, after all, going to verify purchases.

I assume there's a chance that it requires the two pieces of hardware to remain connected or another verification could be necessary?

This just seems like a fail to me...

So if you don't have any internet access you're screwed? I feel like that defeats the purpose of this for a lot of people and surprised that version that comes with it attached isn't pre-paired...

saintjules

I mean in this day and age, the internet is a primary requirement for gaming, specifically because of patch updates and what not.

I'd be surprised to see anyone trying to game without it.

Xyphie

I figured they'd so something like that to not jeopardize their security model. I imagine what happens is that a check is done and if it passes it irreversibly blows a series of embedded fuses inside the drive controller that pairs the drive to only work with your specific console.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I assume it pairs the drive to a console and ensures that the two pieces of hardware haven't been modified in some way? If you think about it, it's a bit of a security / copyright risk. This port is, after all, going to verify purchases.

I assume there's a chance that it requires the two pieces of hardware to remain connected or another verification could be necessary?

Nice To Meet You Nicolas Cage GIF by Nordisk Film Finland

Three

I figured they'd so something like that to not jeopardize their security model. I imagine what happens is that a check is done and if it passes it irreversibly blows a series of embedded fuses inside the drive controller that pairs the drive to only work with your specific console.
Why would it need to blow efuses and limit it to one console? It's more likely that an encryption key check is done and paired for that specific PS5. You can still move it to other consoles.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Once again nobody is thinking of people in tunnels or on submarines.

I wonder if the drive has to be reauthenticated if you move it to a different console? The back of the box says it is to pair the console and the drive.

Trunx81

By the time when Sonys servers aren´t running anymore, this thing will be hacked. I´m pretty sure about that.

mrmustard

Banned
Not a big deal. There is only one scenario i see where this is could be a problem: You are a collector, keep the thing sealed and want to play it in a future where the Sony servers are dead. But i bet by that time it's hackable.

Top Bottom