• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new PS5’s optional disc drive requires an internet connection to connect

ZoukGalaxy

That's really a vicous piece of shit to ask a device to mandatory connect internet to work, when the device is specifically designed for offline play with a disc. That's really a poor and lame questionable design choice. If it is only a matter of BR play, just don't enable it BR but don't lock physical games because of that.

Sony, you are a piece of shit by doing that. All of that is clearly a tactic to push all people to digital, that's vicious. Digital mean more profit to them and the scrape of all retailers which allow much more competitive prices. I really hate this future where all control and prices will be done by them as well as ownership and all mandatory controversial updates.

anakin skywalker hate GIF

It will be a problem soon or later.

Last edited:
Many games require one time internet connection to download the day one patch. Any patch, hotfix, any update at all. Games you buy on discs are usually not even the version you’re supposed to be using because the games are patched multiple times after the discs are printed. I don’t make the rules but I don’t see how people aren’t aware of this, honestly. It’s baffling.

I don’t like the reality either but nevertheless it’s the way it is 🤷‍♂️

So you don't buy those games, there are still games that don't require that.

Tripolygon

Banned
And can you do that with a regular PS4/5 in the event that the disc drive breaks?
PS4 and PS5 they’re firmware locked to the motherboard with the daughter board. You can use your working daughter board and attach it to a new Blu-ray drive and it will work on PS4 and PS5. But this a detachable external attachment drive, it should be able to work on any PS5 regardless of if it’s been setup before on a different PS5 unit. As a consumer I advocate for being able to buy a used one to use on your device if you choose same way you can add extra storage on your PS5 or PS4 and move it between consoles without it being locked to one device.

Last edited:

GHG

PS4 and PS5 they’re firmware locked to the motherboard with the daughter board. You can use your working daughter board and attach it to a new Blu-ray drive and it will work on PS4 and PS5. But this a detachable external attachment drive, it should be able to work on any PS5 regardless of if it’s been setup before on a different PS5 unit. As a consumer I advocate for being able to buy a used one to use on your device if you choose same way you can add extra storage on your PS5 or PS4 and move it between consoles without it being locked to one device.

Moving a storage device between consoles vs moving an optical drive between consoles is a completely different proposition.

As you're aware, it's not a simple swap if you wish to use a used disc drive as a replacement one for an existing console, the drives get paired and keyed with the motherboard which introduces a number of complications.

Because of that if your disc drive is busted on any modern console the best thing to do is buy a new disc drive, or you can open up the disc drive itself and diagnose/fix the issue yourself (the latter being preferable from a cost/environment perspective since the individual parts of the disc drives are actually easily replaceable/swappable, it's a bunch of gears, cogs, rollers and a laser).

Much ado about nothing.

Last edited:

sendit

LOL. Imagine not having an internet connection, getting the slim PS5 with the disc drive, and the physical release of Spider Man 2. Just kill off physical already.

Last edited:

midnightAI

That's really a vicous piece of shit to ask a device to mandatory connect internet to work, when the device is specifically designed for offline play with a disc. That's really a poor and lame questionable design choice. If it is only a matter of BR play, just don't enable it BR but don't lock physical games because of that.

Sony, you are a piece of shit by doing that. All of that is clearly a tactic to push all people to digital, that's vicious. Digital mean more profit to them and the scrape of all retailers which allow much more competitive prices. I really hate this future where all control and prices will be done by them as well as ownership and all mandatory controversial updates.

anakin skywalker hate GIF

It will be a problem soon or later.
What on earth are you talking about? This is a one off check when you first install it to a digital console.

Sethbacca

Hypothetically, what would stop you from performing the same type of hardware based fix on an external drive? You'd probably be able to move the board over just like happens now.

I am just concerned with being able to pair a new drive if my old one breaks. I collect and I’d like to buy a spare drive as I have had optical drives die on various consoles over the decades.

Server availability aside, I just want to know if I can pop on and authenticate a new drive if my current drive dies.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Easy there bud...

Where’s the fun in that?

In any case, if you're this invested in this whole situation, take a little breather and maybe don't attack half of people in this thread that have a different opinion than yours even if you strongly disagree with them. Mind you I do tend to agree with your take here especially as I'm a physical game collector and it will inevitably affect me in the future if/when these Sony auth servers will be brought down, but the aggressive tone is not really needed imo.

Nah, it just bugs me when people make crappy arguments to defend crappy practices. Every other post here is defending or minimising this decision. Why? Even if it’s relatively harmless, it’s still shit and is being defended with lies and misrepresentations. THAT, more than anything, is what should not be tolerated.

Plus, you know, yelling at internet strangers is cathartic.

Tripolygon

Banned
Hypothetically, what would stop you from performing the same type of hardware based fix on an external drive? You'd probably be able to move the board over just like happens now.
Im thinking more about ease of use by a regular person. I hope Sony allows that.
Moving a storage device between consoles vs moving an optical drive between consoles is a completely different proposition.

As you're aware, it's not a simple swap if you wish to use a used disc drive as a replacement one for an existing console, the drives get paired and keyed with the motherboard which introduces a number of complications.

Because of that if your disc drive is busted on any modern console the best thing to do is buy a new disc drive, or you can open up the disc drive itself and diagnose/fix the issue yourself (the latter being preferable from a cost/environment perspective since the individual parts of the disc drives are actually easily replaceable/swappable, it's a bunch of gears, cogs, rollers and a laser).

Much ado about nothing.
Or Sony should allow easily swapping optical drive like they allow easy swapping of storage. They can still use same authentication method as they use for first time setup.

Last edited:
So does this mean region locking as well for BD? And if you change region again it's refresh online connection.

I recall older PS consoles being region unlocked/easily hacked and it was a boon for their hardware sales. At one point there was some ridiculous statistic about how a percentage of PS3 (I think it was 3 series) never even had a game disc in them. They were the best BD region free units going.

Last edited:
So, you bought a digital-only console which requires the Internet to buy and download games, but you're also mad that later trying to add the physical disc drive requires an Internet authentication before it activates?

Are we really this desperate for something to be mad about on the Internet in 2023?

ZoukGalaxy

So, you bought a digital-only console which requires the Internet to buy and download games, but you're also mad that later trying to add the physical disc drive requires an Internet authentication before it activates?

Are we really this desperate for something to be mad about on the Internet in 2023?
"Hey, I'm so smart, I don't see the problem to go online to use a device -which will be the only one available in the future- in order to use offline discs, anyways, problem is always from people, stop complaining 2023 people ! It's like the poor people, stop pretending to be poor, f you don't have money, just buy some !"

Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

People don't understanding the big deal are so short sighed not seeing farter than their connected farts.

Last edited:

Crayon

That's weird but if it's a one time check, that's nothing. If it has to do it periodically, that would be fuckin lame.

skit_data

This seems like a bit of fake outrage tbh. Not good by any means but still a bit of a storm in a teacup.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
maybe Sony is paving the way to introduce pairing and validating controllers (or other peripherals) to future Playstation, to stop people from selling paired/validated peripherals, and to stop player from using their peripherals to play local multi on another player’s PS5. This should help lead to more peripherals sales

Pretty smart

skit_data

maybe Sony is paving the way to introduce pairing and validating controllers (or other peripherals) to future Playstation, to stop people from selling paired/validated peripherals, and to stop player from using their peripherals to play local multi on another player’s PS5. This should help lead to more peripherals sales

Pretty smart
That would be a pretty stupid thing to do, especially in light of fighting game tournaments etc. which they themselves are a part of.
Greed is one thing, but this would be plain stupid from that viewpoint.

sn0man

It would be the exact same case with any similar product you bought? Not sure if you’re making a joke about 2013 Xbox One controversy or are genuinely concerned and asking a serious question
No. It wouldn’t. It’s not that way with the PS4, Switch, or disc PS5 today.

The 2013 Xbox one was a joke then and is still a joke now. It sucked when MS did that and it sucks now that Sony is doing this.

well that'll get cracked.

sony is bricking all unused disc drives once the verification server goes down.
original hardward boyz wont stand for that.

Esppiral

Imagine Xbox doing the same, the forum would be on fire, hey but it's Sony, is fine.

No it isn't, this is disgusting.

The OP and title should be updated with this information:

JJaX8N9.png
Guess you have to blame Sony for just following the law nowadays 🙃. Also, if you complain about needing the internet once to pair a device, you really need to stop posting on this forum lol. Little secret here: you need internet every single time you post a message on Neogaf…. Oh the horror, the horror I’ll tell you!

Judge Dredd GIF

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Guess you have to blame Sony for just following the law nowadays 🙃. Also, if you complain about needing the internet once to pair a device, you really need to stop posting on this forum lol. Little secret here: you need internet every single time you post a message on Neogaf…. Oh the horror, the horror I’ll tell you!

Judge Dredd GIF
I'm normally against such requirements, as much as they are practically possible to avoid them. For examples, games like Hitman, GT 7, Forza, and Division should not be always online.

But PlayStation has always been on the "good side" with such requirements, with DRM, used games, and no mandatory online requirements (relatively speaking). They can't be faulted if they are meeting a regulatory requirement.

If they do anything beyond what's legally mandatory, they should be criticized.

xrnzaaas

If Sony and their servers die one day the whole console will become rather unusable, especially with many physical games shipping in incomplete state. Easy clicks for the news sites, nothing to be really concerned or angry about.

KWAB

Banned
Imagine Xbox doing the same, the forum would be on fire, hey but it's Sony, is fine.

No it isn't, this is disgusting.
You're gonna wish they'll do the same but Xbox is probably killing physical altogether with their revision next year.

KWAB

Banned
Based on the leaks. This is a truthy statement.
It's the logical conclusion. Half of all the Xboxes are already digital only Series S, if next year in the stores you will find only digital only Series S and X does it make sense to still sell discs? Probably not.

This is such bullshit. Soldiers in Afghanistan don't have internet connections for this bullshit.

My solution would be to do it before getting deployed. I obviously wouldn't try to buy a PS5 if I'm over there.

Now if its a periodic check that would be a problem for me.

Edit: Realistically though I would just bring an all in one gaming system like my Switch or my gaming Laptop. I've looked into bringing a PS5 with a portable monitor but I don't like the idea of bringing so many things just to do some gaming.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
What happens when those Sony auth servers are no more? People still play 20-30 year old games now and they will be impossible with PS5.

Uhm...Then these games will be playable on other consoles from Sony or cloud or whatever? These games will carry over..

Let me ask this...and what if Gamepass doesn;'t work anymore over 10 years or some major outage tomorrow?

Top Bottom