• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new PS5’s optional disc drive requires an internet connection to connect

RaySoft

Once again nobody is thinking of people in tunnels or on submarines.

I wonder if the drive has to be reauthenticated if you move it to a different console? The back of the box says it is to pair the console and the drive.
You most certainly have to, if at all possible to do it more than once.

Dr_Ifto

It probably has to deal with Piracy. To ensure that the drive is a licensed official drive that is loading a disk. THis way you cant use a 3rd party drive and play ripped games. I dont see an issue here.

This is dumb and just mind boggling. So in 10 years or whatnot when Sony drops support and manufacturing, if your drive breaks you will be SoL. Or what if it’s 20 years and not 10? Like Why in the fuck is this necessary?
Like it or not, an all digital (ideally cloud only) future has nothing but benefits (the biggest being no used market, no piracy and full control over when, where and for what price games are sold) for companies like Sony, so that's what we'll eventually end up with.

Neilg

I wonder if the drive has to be reauthenticated if you move it to a different console? The back of the box says it is to pair the console and the drive.

How many people on submarines are unboxing a brand new PS5 for the first time while already at depth? That seems like an easily solvable problem.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If you have a digital PS5, I assume you have Internet for this.
You guys must have missed the part where this was listed on the box of the console that has the disk drive already attached. So now even if you buy the console with the disc drive, you still have to activate the drive online in order to use it.

phant0m

"Because the accessory will require an internet connection for verification, there will potentially come a time when the servers needed to verify the license will no longer be operational."

But if it's a one-time verification then this is a non-issue.

They'll likely close the servers when this PS5 model is no longer being produced...like 5+ years after they've closed production.
I would also assume at that point they could push a firmware update that removes the verification requirement.

I know GAF has a big hard-on for physical but discs are not the best for long-term /archival purposes. Ask anyone with a PS2 or PS3 that won’t read anymore. Yeah you could find replacement parts for a while but they’ve become increasingly scarce over time and will continue to get more so.

Frankly I’m really not concerned if my PS5 will still read discs when the PS7 is out. Everything seems to get remade or remastered anyway.

ProtoByte

Last edited:

sn0man

So if the update was for blue ray movies I guess I could see it. The issue I have is for games. This is the first console I’m aware of that does this.

Pretty shitty overall. I was going to pick up a slim but maybe I’ll just stay with the original I’ve got.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
You Snooze You Lose French Bulldog GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

A friend of my uncle works for Sony and he said that you will be able to sign up for a submarine/tunnel service where if you're in a Sony branded submarine or tunnel, you'll be able to pair the console, the drive and the submarine/tunnel and only authenticate once - either while the submarine is still docked, or at the edge of a tunnel where you can still get reception.

However, if you go to a different tunnel or submarine, the whole thing will explode immediately, including the original submarine/tunnel.

Skyfox

Some exec saves some tiny percentage for the company and gets their bonus.

The cost of the licence should be paid for each disc drive sold by Sony.

AWFUL. Stop excusing corporations dropping consumer standards through the floor.

All of this crap detracts from the "product".

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You guys must have missed the part where this was listed on the box of the console that has the disk drive already attached. So now even if you buy the console with the disc drive, you still have to activate the drive online in order to use it.

Because maybe..just maybe the drive isn’t attatched to the console by default? And then what, are people really fucking crying about this?

What a fucking waste of time bunch of snowflakes on the internet. I bet as every other controversial thing on in the internet. No one will talk about this again after launch.

Last edited:

Fbh

If it's a one time thing I don't see the big deal about this.
If it requires a permanent connection or a connection each time you turn it on or something like that then yeah fuck this.

Wouldn't that be for Modern Warfare 3 or is there an image saying it is for the drive?
I can't read shit on that article they linked.
Screenshot-2023-10-24-191224-1024x677.jpg

Edit:Oh there's tweets? I had cookies disabled.
F9Pcxd2XUAIq6sU
Wait Sony is selling a Call of Duty bundle with the new PS5’s ! … :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Didn’t M…. You know what, never mind. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

StereoVsn

I would also assume at that point they could push a firmware update that removes the verification requirement.

I know GAF has a big hard-on for physical but discs are not the best for long-term /archival purposes. Ask anyone with a PS2 or PS3 that won’t read anymore. Yeah you could find replacement parts for a while but they’ve become increasingly scarce over time and will continue to get more so.

Frankly I’m really not concerned if my PS5 will still read discs when the PS7 is out. Everything seems to get remade or remastered anyway.
This is short sighted. PS2s are fairly easy to repair and disks can be easily ripped, and can be utilized with variety of disk or network based solutions.

PS3 can be hacked and even if drive fails they can be run from disk drive or it’s fairly inexpensive to procure another PS3 and that doesn’t require online activation.

PS5 is basically a dead console once those auth services are dropped. I also wonder if this will conflict with EU’s right to repair law.

White-fire

This is short sighted. PS2s are fairly easy to repair and disks can be easily ripped, and can be utilized with variety of disk or network based solutions.

PS3 can be hacked and even if drive fails they can be run from disk drive or it’s fairly inexpensive to procure another PS3 and that doesn’t require online activation.

PS5 is basically a dead console once those auth services are dropped. I also wonder if this will conflict with EU’s right to repair law.

I doubt it considering this requirement is most likely to COMPLY with existing copyright law and LIMIT liability.

welshrat

What happens when those Sony auth servers are no more? People still play 20-30 year old games now and they will be impossible with PS5.

But they won't as long as the drive has already been registered. It's only for the initial registration. Besides in 20 years time I highly doubt many will care and if they do I imagine someone will have found a way to circumvent this.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

But they won't as long as the drive has already been registered. It's only for the initial registration. Besides in 20 years time I highly doubt many will care.
Retro game community is pretty large and gaming has been growing. Issue is that in 20 years if your disk drive breaks, you literally won’t be able to register another one or use unactivated PS5 if Sony offlines those registration servers.

Last edited:

NickFire

Guessing it has to do with piracy. Pure guess, and really don't care. I think its a stupid decision regardless of reasons, but I really don't care. The undeniable fact is that I could have saved 100 buying all digital because I have moved on from buying games on a disc.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS

Screw this shit. I knew a disc-drive add-on was going to present issues.

That PS5 Pro better have a built-in disc drive. Completely unacceptable from PlayStation.

They've opened a can of worms with this one. People will buy it, put more profit into the accessories portion of their KPIs and the quarterly report will skyrocket due to this. I wouldn't be surprised at this rate if the Pro, and most certainly the PS6 are digital only with the attachment optional.

welshrat

Retro game community is pretty large and gaming has been growing. Issue is that in 20 years if your disk drive breaks, you literally won’t be able to register another one or use unactivated PS5 if Sony offlines those registration servers.

Ok fair enough however I highly doubt it will become an issue. keeping an API endpoint running to pair console and drive would cost virtually nothing and I suspect they will be required to keep this for a very long period. Regardless I cannot say it affects me one bit and certainly won't influence my purchasing decision when buying the Pro

Last edited:
This just seems like a fail to me...

So if you don't have any internet access you're screwed? I feel like that defeats the purpose of this for a lot of people and surprised that version that comes with it attached isn't pre-paired...

It’s one-time. It’s standard practice. And what, someone who actively doesn’t have internet would buy a PS5 console in 2023? Who? That theoretical person doesn’t exist.

You’re making a mountain out of literally nothing.

Top Bottom