• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new PS5’s optional disc drive requires an internet connection to connect

phant0m

This is short sighted. PS2s are fairly easy to repair and disks can be easily ripped, and can be utilized with variety of disk or network based solutions.

PS3 can be hacked and even if drive fails they can be run from disk drive or it’s fairly inexpensive to procure another PS3 and that doesn’t require online activation.

PS5 is basically a dead console once those auth services are dropped. I also wonder if this will conflict with EU’s right to repair law.

Holy shit guy, thank you for further reinforcing my point. You just said it doesn't matter if your disc drive is broken (or "can't be activated") because you can play backups from other sources.

PS5 is basically a dead console once those auth services are dropped.

Or you can just play digital games? Or your "backups"? Jesus Christ the melodrama.

Last edited:
This is dumb and just mind boggling. So in 10 years or whatnot when Sony drops support and manufacturing, if your drive breaks you will be SoL. Or what if it’s 20 years and not 10? Like Why in the fuck is this necessary?

You won't even be able to play the games in 20yrs after they close down all the game servers, irrespective of what happens on the console side.

Virtually every game does an online check in.

Not to mention on the hardware side, this is no different from the current, PS5, PS4, XSX, XSS and more.

Damn, X/Twitter community provides more accurate reporting than VGC nowadays.

image.png

Mr Moose

If the drive breaks you can't replace it yourself?
You can buy another drive.
If you purchase the PS5 Digital Edition, you can add the Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive for PS5 later, as it will also be sold separately for 79.99 USD | 119.99 EURO | 99.99 GBP | 11,980 JPY.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
The question is are you able to replace the disc drive or sell one that you already paired to a ps5

phant0m

You won't even be able to play the games in 20yrs after they close down all the game servers, irrespective of what happens on the console side.

Not to mention on the hardware side, this is no different from the current, PS5, PS4, XSX, XSS and more.
you’re also SoL if your PS3 drive fails. Or the cart slot in your SNES. Also most discs don’t even have the full game on them now anyway so you’d still need internet to play stuff.

I don’t know what that guy’s trying to argue other than he just wants to be real mad about fantasies 10 years from now

FrankWza

StereoVsn

This is not true. Most PS5 SP games don’t have online check in. Same with PS4.

killatopak

I really don't like this but being a one time thing softens it a bit.

Pretty much confirms the new slim PS5 is just really the digital slim slapped with the add on drive in a different packaging. Seems pretty lazy not to pre pair the drives before shipping them off.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
All PS5s have their Blu-ray software locked to the motherboard, you cannot transfer a Blu-ray drive from one PS5 to another. I suppose this a way for them to authenticate the drive and tie it to the particular PS5 motherboard.

The question is can you replace the bluray attachment with another new or pre-owned one if yours break? Like a way for them to reattach an already used replacement drive? Now this should be of concern because you shouldnt have to buy a new one everytime you want to replace a bluray drive.

StereoVsn

you’re also SoL if your PS3 drive fails. Or the cart slot in your SNES. Also most discs don’t even have the full game on them now anyway so you’d still need internet to play stuff.

I don’t know what that guy’s trying to argue other than he just wants to be real mad about fantasies 10 years from now
The issues you list are non issues. SNES breaks - you can fix it. There is no online checks. PS3 breaks - can fix it. There is no online check.

If it’s a PS5 you literally can’t fix it because online check prevents they repair unless auth servers are available. It’s not hard to understand.

StereoVsn

An increasing number do though. SP games aren't most PS5 games. They're a minority. So it is true, since most PS5 games are MP.
This is beyond changing goal posts, that’s a different game altogether. Who the hell is talking about MP games? MP servers will go offline long before Sony auth servers.

Sethbacca

The number of people for whom this is a dealbreaker is probably fractions of a percent, and it's not like the 1st gen PS5s with built in drives are going to magically disappear from the secondary market if people are determined to have one.

Not to worried about authentication servers going down but, is it really too much to ask for the drives to be plug and play? Use on multiple consoles? Resell if/when no longer needed?

This is beyond changing goal posts, that’s a different game altogether. Who the hell is talking about MP games? MP servers will go offline long before Sony auth servers.

Not at all.

You just essentially restated my original point.... which was that most PS5 games will see servers go offline well within the next 20yrs (I made no disctiction between MP servers and authentication servers---that was you changing the goal posts). So concerns about a console check-in are moot.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Why would an accessory require you to connect to internet to be validated. Sounds like a way to force updates on consoles. I’m sure it will check firmware first and say you must update before this will work.

StereoVsn

Not at all.

You just essentially restated my original point.... which was that most PS5 games will see servers go offline well within the next 20yrs. So concerns about a console check-in are moot.
There are a ton of SP games, not even sure what the heck are you talking about. Again, nobody is discussing MP games, that’s obviously not going to be applicable.

You are just talking nonsense. Issue at the end is PS5s becoming bricks from repair perspective and physical media (SP obviously) once Sony’s auth servers go offline.

Most games are not MP or have online checks.

Sethbacca

There are a ton of SP games, not even sure what the heck are you talking about. Again, nobody is discussing MP games, that’s obviously not going to be applicable.

You are just talking nonsense. Issue at the end is PS5s becoming bricks from repair perspective and physical media (SP obviously) once Sony’s auth servers go offline.

In this hypothetical future, 10 years from now there will be 100 million plus PS5s in the wild, people will have moved on to PS6 and be talking about PS6 PRO or PS7, and you'll be able to pick up a used PS5 for probably about the same price as the disk drive will cost at launch, or you'll be able to emulate all of these games on hardware that is 10-15x more powerful.

Why spend any time worrying about this ? It's a complaint in search of a problem.

It’s the title of the VGC article

Do you work for VGC? You could make the title your own and mention the key detail that makes it far less controversial.

Had I known it was a one-time connection i and no doubt many others wouldn’t have clicked on your thread because it’s essentially boilerplate information that doesn’t contain anything newsworthy. It’s essentially just the first page of an instruction manual. “Please connect your device once to the internet”. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

RaySoft

The question is are you able to replace the disc drive or sell one that you already paired to a ps5
You could buy a new one that's not paired yet, but connecting one that's already paired to another PS5, is a no go IF you're not allowed to re-pair it.

Last edited:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Damn, X/Twitter community provides more accurate reporting than VGC nowadays.

image.png
“More accurate reporting?”

There a US law that requires anti-piracy measures, is there? Is there really? Care to post the wording of that law? What, exactly, is the law that requires optical disc drives to be verified by an online server before use? What is the penalty for Sony if they fail to comply?

This is complete fucking bullshit.

For those of you chumps pointing out that everyone has an internet connection: well done, have a good fucking star. Then try to remember that the isnt not about the connection, its about the server at the other end of it.

“There will inevitably be a work-around”? No, there won’t “inevitably” be one, and even if there is - that’s not what I want. If I wanted to fuck around with proxies and VPNs and DNS settings and whatever else I’d need to do, I’d game on a Windows PC. I don’t, because I don’t.

You need to verify the… something… because if the something… so people can play BD movies? No, no you don’t. I mean, Sony can just pay the damn license fee, but okay they want to save money and inconvenience the user, fine - require that activation if you want to do that, as has been the case since the PS3. It’s still shit, but at least it’s honest shit.

People are saying that this will only be required on first connection, but it still prevents you from buying a replacement after the servers are shut off, and it will almost certainly require re-verification after a factory reset - which is the last step in literally every PlayStation trouble-shooting document out there. And I, personally, have zero confidence that no PS5 will experience some strange, unfathomable re-verification requirement for no reason whatsoever.

Ugh. Whatever. It’s there, it’ll stay there, it’ll be fine most of the time, but the arguments some people put up to defend these practices shit me more than the practices themselves tbh.

Come On Please GIF by NBA

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Everything is subscription and/or rental even if you buy it with your own money "you will own nothing and be happy"

I have my Xbox One X offline for retail mode and OG Xbox discs wont work without a connection even if I've used them before and have save files

Modern consoles aren't worth it to me anymore I've moved on...from a certain point of view its almost a scam

If I can't do what I want with my purchase is it really ever mine?

Last edited:
It’s one-time. It’s standard practice. And what, someone who actively doesn’t have internet would buy a PS5 console in 2023? Who? That theoretical person doesn’t exist.

You’re making a mountain out of literally nothing.

So if I'm a solider deployed to a foreign country and I don't have internet access but buy a PS5 out of a PX, I won't be able to play any games on it until I return home?

So if I'm a solider deployed to a foreign country and I don't have internet access but buy a PS5 out of a PX, I won't be able to play any games on it until I return home?

It would be the exact same case with any similar product you bought? Not sure if you’re making a joke about 2013 Xbox One controversy or are genuinely concerned and asking a serious question

“More accurate reporting?”

There a US law that requires anti-piracy measures, is there? Is there really? Care to post the wording of that law? What, exactly, is the law that requires optical disc drives to be verified by an online server before use? What is the penalty for Sony if they fail to comply?

This is complete fucking bullshit.

For those of you chumps pointing out that everyone has an internet connection: well done, have a good fucking star. Then try to remember that the isnt not about the connection, its about the server at the other end of it.

“There will inevitably be a work-around”? No, there won’t “inevitably” be one, and even if there is - that’s not what I want. If I wanted to fuck around with proxies and VPNs and DNS settings and whatever else I’d need to do, I’d game on a Windows PC. I don’t, because I don’t.

You need to verify the… something… because if the something… so people can play BD movies? No, no you don’t. I mean, Sony can just pay the damn license fee, but okay they want to save money and inconvenience the user, fine - require that activation if you want to do that, as has been the case since the PS3. It’s still shit, but at least it’s honest shit.

People are saying that this will only be required on first connection, but it still prevents you from buying a replacement after the servers are shut off, and it will almost certainly require re-verification after a factory reset - which is the last step in literally every PlayStation trouble-shooting document out there. And I, personally, have zero confidence that no PS5 will experience some strange, unfathomable re-verification requirement for no reason whatsoever.

Ugh. Whatever. It’s there, it’ll stay there, it’ll be fine most of the time, but the arguments some people put up to defend these practices shit me more than the practices themselves tbh.
Easy there bud... I'm not defending anything here, I just said that VGC were called out on that tweet they put out as it was intentionally lacking context to make it more clickbaity to drive page views towards their linked article where they did mention that the disc drive requiring internet connection is a one time thing during the initial setup.

Also, I didn't verify the other part of the correction they made there (e.g. the wired article they linked there and the DMCA anti-piracy claims) so I can't speak on that. Furthermore I see that the X/Twitter community note has been removed from the VGC tweet.

In any case, if you're this invested in this whole situation, take a little breather and maybe don't attack half of people in this thread that have a different opinion than yours even if you strongly disagree with them. Mind you I do tend to agree with your take here especially as I'm a physical game collector and it will inevitably affect me in the future if/when these Sony auth servers will be brought down, but the aggressive tone is not really needed imo.

GHG

The question is can you replace the bluray attachment with another new or pre-owned one if yours break? Like a way for them to reattach an already used replacement drive? Now this should be of concern because you shouldnt have to buy a new one everytime you want to replace a bluray drive.

And how often would that be?

phant0m

The issues you list are non issues. SNES breaks - you can fix it. There is no online checks. PS3 breaks - can fix it. There is no online check.

If it’s a PS5 you literally can’t fix it because online check prevents they repair unless auth servers are available. It’s not hard to understand.
dude you just argued that the disc drive being broken doesn't matter because you can play "rips" off a hard drive.

and not having a disc drive doesn't prevent you from playing digital games. far from making a PS5 "useless" if they took the auth servers offline.

also completely ignored the fact that many discs don't have the full game on them anyway and require a download. if those servers are offline, surely it's completely irrelevant if the disc drive can authorize?

not to mention you can even still download games for the almost 20 year old PSP. "but what if they take the servers down?!?!?" had been hyperbolic fear mongering for over a decade now. outside of publishers taking down individual games it still hasn't happened. frankly the amount of people that will give a fuck if they can authorize their external PS5 drive in 2040 is really fucking slim dude. and the console will be hacked to shit by then anyway so you can just play your "backups" off the SSD.

Last edited:
It would be the exact same case with any similar product you bought? Not sure if you’re making a joke about 2013 Xbox One controversy or are genuinely concerned and asking a serious question

How is that different from buying a PS5 disc based today and buying a game that doesn't require an online check and can play off of the disc today?

Last edited:

GHG

Doesn’t matter how often they break. They just shouldn’t require you buy a new one to replace the broken one. I should be able to go to eBay to buy used one for cheap and attach it to the console when it breaks.

And can you do that with a regular PS4/5 in the event that the disc drive breaks?

How is that different from buying a PS5 disc based today and buying a game that doesn't require an online check and can play off of the disc today?

Many games require one time internet connection to download the day one patch. Any patch, hotfix, any update at all. Games you buy on discs are usually not even the version you’re supposed to be using because the games are patched multiple times after the discs are printed. I don’t make the rules but I don’t see how people aren’t aware of this, honestly. It’s baffling.

I don’t like the reality either but nevertheless it’s the way it is 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom