• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new PS5’s optional disc drive requires an internet connection to connect

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Imagine Xbox doing the same, the forum would be on fire, hey but it's Sony, is fine.

No it isn't, this is disgusting.
No your wrong. When Xbox does it "i mean they already doing it", people will say:

"This makes sense, they just follow the trends"

or

"Phill says this is our digital future"

Good luck with your Gamepass since you need internet to rent these games.

Funny how Xbox fans think this is some big deal while at the same time they clap clap for shit like Gamepass all day every day.

Esppiral

No your wrong. When Xbox does it "i mean they already doing it", people will say:

"This makes sense, they just follow the trends"

or

"Phill says this is our digital future"

Good luck with your Gamepass since you need internet to rent these games.

Funny how Xbox fans think this is some big deal while at the same time they clap clap for shit like Gamepass all day every day.
Xbox fan? Lol, who is talking about game pass?
Locking the blue ray drive activation under internet activation is as bad as the Xbox activation PERIOD, yet now all I am reading is that it is fine, the hypocrisy is out of the charts.
Oh and yes those PSN now games will work even if the servers go down....

Just to be clear, I was talking about the blue ray drive, don't know what does game pass or anything else has to be mentioned, well I know why....

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
On Xbox you can't even create a profile for offline usage out of the box without connecting online. It's been this way since the first Xbox One.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
"Because the accessory will require an internet connection for verification, there will potentially come a time when the servers needed to verify the license will no longer be operational."

But if it's a one-time verification then this is a non-issue.

They'll likely close the servers when this PS5 model is no longer being produced...like 5+ years after they've closed production.
They would still need to send a console update that no longer requires the authentication. Think of a time in 20 years when someone wants to play a PS5 and needs to take a working drive from a dead PS5 to replace the dead drive on a working system.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I like that I don’t have to do any of this hardware pairing bullshit on PC. I want to install a component, I install it, and start using it. I don't need the hardware maker’s permission to use it.

This is exactly that. You buy your new PS5 drive attachment, you the consumer now need Sony’s permission to use the drive on your digital PS5.
It’s being excused as no big deal, but it’s just more power over you. All part of the walled garden experience.

Glad I don’t need to be under Sony’s thumb to play their games.

Last edited:

cireza

That connector looks like an interesting entry point for hackers, really convenient to spoof a game. That's why they put the online connection (which is super consistent with the fact that this is a solution to play offline, more Sony common sense). They already know that this is going to be a weak spot.

Well, I guess this will help sales !

Last edited:
I like that I don’t have to do any of this hardware pairing bullshit on PC. I want to install a component, I install it, and start using it. I don't need the hardware maker’s permission to use it.

This is exactly that. You buy your new PS5 drive attachment, you the consumer now need Sony’s permission to use the drive on your digital PS5.
It’s being excused as no big deal, but it’s just more power over you. All part of the walled garden experience.

You need to go on the internet to install a driver though. Installing a GPU with the default build in Windows display driver will give you shitty performance in most games. Also after changing a few components you need internet to reactivate your Windows.

NeonDelta

and if steam servers get shut down?

StereoVsn

dude you just argued that the disc drive being broken doesn't matter because you can play "rips" off a hard drive.

and not having a disc drive doesn't prevent you from playing digital games. far from making a PS5 "useless" if they took the auth servers offline.

also completely ignored the fact that many discs don't have the full game on them anyway and require a download. if those servers are offline, surely it's completely irrelevant if the disc drive can authorize?

not to mention you can even still download games for the almost 20 year old PSP. "but what if they take the servers down?!?!?" had been hyperbolic fear mongering for over a decade now. outside of publishers taking down individual games it still hasn't happened. frankly the amount of people that will give a fuck if they can authorize their external PS5 drive in 2040 is really fucking slim dude. and the console will be hacked to shit by then anyway so you can just play your "backups" off the SSD.
In this hypothetical future, 10 years from now there will be 100 million plus PS5s in the wild, people will have moved on to PS6 and be talking about PS6 PRO or PS7, and you'll be able to pick up a used PS5 for probably about the same price as the disk drive will cost at launch, or you'll be able to emulate all of these games on hardware that is 10-15x more powerful.

Why spend any time worrying about this ? It's a complaint in search of a problem.
The whole point is around further unnecessary crap dumped on actual customers since pirates won't really be affected. You don't care about retro games (in the 2040 it will be retro), but quite a few people do.

Why should folks be forced to buy whole replacement PS5 units if just a drive fails (if auth check can't be performed)? It's just a dumb thing to do, and its the same shit Apple is pulling where you can't even replace a screen on an iPhone now days without authorization. In addition to that, being able to legally rip PS5 games isn't a given. There is no way to do so right now at least if your PS5 is up to date.

Also, the fact that Sony right now allows downloads for PSP (yes, released 17 years ago in US) doesn't mean that they continue that policy in the future. Corporate policies change and putting trust in giant corporations is not something that anyone should be doing. Stop stanning for multi-$billion (or multi-$trillion in case of MS) corporations, they aren't your friends, they don't need you to defend them.

Again, for PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5 (OG), you can repair things without the online check. Now additional burden and potential future issue is introduced that is simply unneeded. If Sony was worried about piracy, there are other ways to take care of it and clearly that wasn't a worry with OG PS5.

StereoVsn

Uhm...Then these games will be playable on other consoles from Sony or cloud or whatever? These games will carry over..

Let me ask this...and what if Gamepass doesn;'t work anymore over 10 years or some major outage tomorrow?
If GamePass doesn't work hopefully people will understand that subscriptions suck. Same with PS+. It's convenient but you can't rely on that to be available in the future.

Whether games carry over or not in the future generations is absolutely not a given as we can see with availability of games from PS3 / X360 or earlier era on the current gen. For example, If Sony (or MS) changes architecture to ARM on their console in the future, there is no guarantee that things will be carried forward.

Additionally, we are talking about physical media, and requiring this dumb and unnecessary pairing of a physical Blu-Ray drive to a PS5.

Mithos

The pictures comes from a Physical PS5 SKU, just FYI for all the people saying but its a "digital" addon, ofc it must "sync" or whatever.
It should be working out of the box for the Physical SKU imo.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
My solution would be to do it before getting deployed. I obviously wouldn't try to buy a PS5 if I'm over there.

Now if its a periodic check that would be a problem for me.

Edit: Realistically though I would just bring an all in one gaming system like my Switch or my gaming Laptop. I've looked into bringing a PS5 with a portable monitor but I don't like the idea of bringing so many things just to do some gaming.
I know we see some wild shit on this forum but please tell me that you knew my post was a joke?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Neither of these examples have anything at all to do with what Sony’s doing.

So then why bring the PC in the discussion? Microsoft says "Hello" when you change a few components and then you need to reactivate WIndows......

Fake outrage like this always happens if PlayStation farts around.

If GamePass doesn't work hopefully people will understand that subscriptions suck. Same with PS+. It's convenient but you can't rely on that to be available in the future.

Whether games carry over or not in the future generations is absolutely not a given as we can see with availability of games from PS3 / X360 or earlier era on the current gen. For example, If Sony (or MS) changes architecture to ARM on their console in the future, there is no guarantee that things will be carried forward.

Additionally, we are talking about physical media, and requiring this dumb and unnecessary pairing of a physical Blu-Ray drive to a PS5.

Every disc drive in all the consoles from the previous generations have some hardware encryption or check. You can't even change any of the previous console drives with some off the shelve drive.

So what's the issue here??

Last edited:

Kadve

I like how this thread kept going despite we getting confirmation on the first page that this is a UHD-BD thing outside of Sonys hands. Every new UHD player seems to need an internet connection so it can update its security key database. Its presumably something set by the Blu-ray Disc Association.

(edit Think you have to connect your Xbox at least once in order to play UHD too. Same with the PS4 and Blu Ray)

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I like how this thread kept going despite we getting confirmation on the first page that this is a UHD-BD thing outside of Sonys hands. Every new UHD player seems to need an internet connection so it can update its security key database. Its presumably something set by the Blu-ray Disc Association.

(edit Think you have to connect your Xbox at least once in order to play UHD too. Same with the PS4 and Blu Ray)
The picture on the back of the PS5 box in the first few comments says an internet connection is required to pair the drive to the PS5 console during system setup. That's the reason for the one time verification. It's likely so they can match a hash of the drive's components to a database to ensure the drive hasn't been modified and then download that hash to the PS5 to protect against changes to the drive post-verification so they don't have to keep checking.

The UHD blu ray online requirement is likely true. But that's probably not the primary reason for the initial check.

StereoVsn

That’s for content playback which could be done through a software check for the blu-ray player. UHD Blu-Ray players don’t generally have a separate app for playback.

Kilau

The pictures comes from a Physical PS5 SKU, just FYI for all the people saying but its a "digital" addon, ofc it must "sync" or whatever.
It should be working out of the box for the Physical SKU imo.
I wonder if that means every PS5 now is a DE and just some are packaged with the addon but not attached .

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wonder if that means every PS5 now is a DE and just some are packaged with the addon but not attached .
That's what it means. Moving to a single motherboard and case design for manufacturing with modular drive component and drive cover added during assembly.

Kilau

That's what it means. Moving to a single motherboard and case design for manufacturing with modular drive component and drive cover added during assembly.
Yeah that makes sense, I just hadn’t thought about the packaging. Not having the drive pre installed for the disc edition bundle.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So then why bring the PC in the discussion? Microsoft says "Hello" when you change a few components and then you need to reactivate WIndows......

Fake outrage like this always happens if PlayStation farts around.

Oh stop with the persecution complex.

I pointed out that I don’t need the permission of a component maker to add their component into my computer. I don’t have to “reactivate” anything.

The idea of going through a hardware company to pair my new component to my specific piece of hardware, just sounds odd to me. I get it though; Sony wants control over what you’re doing.

Roxkis_ii

So do people never have to download drivers for pc components??

Do you have a job? Did you have to have an internet connection to apply?

Do you use steam? Don't you need an internet connection to download games from there?

I don't understand how having to connect a ps5 to the internet to add a disc drive is such a big deal, when you use the internet for so many other things in life.

This is a dish drive for a console, not a pacemaker keeping you alive.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don't understand how having to connect a ps5 to the internet to add a dish drive is such a big deal, when you use the internet for so many other things in life.

This is a dish drive for a console, not a pacemaker keeping you alive.

What the fucks a dish drive? You hittin’ the sauce?

Last edited:

RaySoft

I pointed out that I don’t need the permission of a component maker to add their component into my computer. I don’t have to “reactivate” anything.

The idea of going through a hardware company to pair my new component to my specific piece of hardware, just sounds odd to me. I get it though; Sony wants control over what you’re doing.
That's the whole point of a computer though, so you can't compare the PC platform with a closed eco system.

Well seeing as it's a digital console then that shouldn't be a problem. You are shit out of luck if you buy that with no internet.
Yep. The people buying this thing already are forced to have an internet connection anyway. Unless you can only find a digital and drive separately but that is so small of a percentage of people that they don’t matter at all.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

It's a handshake and security key check for the Blu Ray. Same as Windows is logging your hardware components. The moment you replace your cpu, gpu and mobo, Windows might ask you to reactivate windows again otherswise....well you know.

Its not a Sony thing. You are seriously naive if you think Microsoft doesn't know what you are adding or doing.

Last edited:
I think what some people are having a hard time understanding is that when the Xbox One was announced with that whole DRM fiasco and why it was a problem is that it required a 24 hour check in to the Microsoft servers to play any games, both disc and digital, which is ridiculous...that would still be ridiculous in this day if either console did that. A one time check in on the internet to connect the drive or even setup a game is not a big deal, it was the 24 hour check in with their servers that was pissing everyone off. I would be super pissed today if either of them were to do that, I have Spectrum internet at my house, and anyone that knows Spectrum internet, it goes down more than a Tijuana crack whore and there have been several times my internet was completely down so I was left playing offline games on my PlayStation until it comes back up which I wouldn't have been able to do with that 24 hour DRM that Microsoft tried to push back with the Xbox One.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
That's the whole point of a computer though, so you can't compare the PC platform with a closed eco system.

True. I guess it’s just an odd concept to me.
It's a handshake and security key check for the Blu Ray. Same as Windows is logging your hardware components. The moment you replace your cpu, gpu and mobo, Windows might ask you to reactivate windows again otherswise....well you know.

Its not a Sony thing. You are seriously naive if you think Microsoft doesn't know what you are adding or doing.

It’s a little different.

A handshake where that drive can only be used with the PS5 it’s paired with. Apparently this has been a thing since Xbox 360.

Top Bottom