• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Devil Summoner 2 NA Thread of Raiho keeping the PS2 alive!

Hobbun

RickA238 said:
Despite the new naming convention in the US, Persona games are not in the SMT series, they are spin-offs. Shin Megami Tensei for SNES was a totally awesome FPS dungeon crawler with way more depth than the DQ's or FF's of the era. I still haven't gotten around to playing SMT2. That said, I echo the sentiment that Atlus should lay off the Persona series for a good long while; it's a case of too much, too soon. Furthermore, it's too divergent from the general atmosphere of SMT games for it's own good. IMO Nocturne still blows away P3/P4. SMT4 should be next, even if we must wait a few years for it.

I'm really looking forward to DS 2, I enjoyed the first one more than most people and I'm excited about the improvements.

I am playing Persona 3 FES right now and it is my first of the entire SMT series, spin-offs or not. I haven't played Nocturne yet.

And I love P3 so far. Personally, I hope they continue to make both Persona and the mainline SMT games. Why lay off of either one.

As for DS 2, I haven't even played the first one yet. I'll probably do that first.

I wonder if Raidou will get a "speaking" part like the first game. I hope we don't have to jump through flaming hoops to get the endings/paths we want.

Takeda Kenshi said:
Except it's COMPLETELY different than the FFIX guide...

It's simply the entire guide in PDF format online, you can print out stuff that you need.

Reason they're doing this is because about 500 people would buy this guide if they printed it, and quite frankly they aren't a big enough company to be able to sustain that kind of loss.

Eh, I suppose that was my mistake then.

Still, while I understand it, fiscally speaking, I sure as hell know I'm not going through a cartridge and a half of ink to print one out. Besides, the DS guide was 100+ pages, I can't imagine the DS2 game will rival that.

I'd like to be wrong.

Red Scarlet said:
Official game thread OP's are probably the least read out of any. I wanted this, but I would've preferred to play 1 first and wanted the plush more than the game, so I passed. :(

It is a mighty fine plush...mighty fine plush indeed.

mollipen

ds2.png

One of the many reasons you should buy the June issue of Play when it hits. (Just to be clear, in case some people don't catch on, the text is just dummy text I put in, and not the actual review text from the issue.)

My totally not-a-review-of-the-game review: the game is rad. One of the things I mention in my review is how amazed I at that after all of the SMT games I've played, the world and its demonic residents still feel interesting and fresh to me, something a great many other franchises aren't able to do. I wasn't one of the people who disliked the first game, but if you did, give the series another try.

Link1110

Baloonatic said:
Nocturne is the third SMT game. The first two were on the SNES I believe. Stuff like Persona and DDS are spin-offs.

List off the top of my head

Megami Tensei Series
Megami Tensei 1 (FC)
Megami Tensei 2 (FC)
Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei (SFC, remake of the other two)
Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible (GB, GBC)
Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible 2 (GB, GBC)
Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible (SFC)
Another Bible

Shin Megami Tensei Series

Shin Megami Tensei 1 (SFC, PCE CD, Mega CD, PS1, GBA)
Shin Megami Tensei 2 (SFC, PS1, GBA)
Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne (PS2)
Shin Megami Tensei: If (SFC, PS1)
Shin Megami Tensei Nine (XBOX)

Devil Summoner
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (Saturn, PSP)
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Saturn. PS1)
Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha Vs. the Soulless Army (PS2)
Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha Vs. King Abaddon (PS2)

Majin Tensei
Majin tensei (SFC)
Majin Tensei 2: Spiral Nemesis (SFC)
Ronde (Saturn)

Persona
Megami Imonroku Persona (PS1, PSP)
Persona 2: Tsumi (PS1)
Persona 2: Batsu (PS1)
Persona 3 (PS2)
Persona 4 (PS2)

Other
Digital Devil Saga (PS2)
Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2)
Maken X (Dreamcast)

I know I forgot a couple, so anyone wanyt to fill in the blanks?

Yaweee

Link1110 said:
List off the top of my head

I know I forgot a couple, so anyone want to fill in the blanks?

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/megaten/megaten.htm

There are a lot of problems with breaking down the SMT franchise into sub-series. This is just my own understanding, so I'm certain others will correct me.

-Last Bible is its own series as the NES Megami Tensei games are from before Atlus owned the sub-series, and have a completely unrelated setting and story.
-Maken-X probably shouldn't be considered SMT at all.
-SMT:Nine doesn't really have anything to do with 1,2,3, or if...
-Ronde gets called part of Majin Tensei, but is the story, gameplay, or demons (if any) at all related to the SMT series? Can you even tell by looking at the game?

Devil Summoner is even more complicated. Yes, DS3 is named as part of the DS series, but its gameplay is unlike any game in the entire franchise, and the story is more related to SMT1's than DS1 or 2.

It's best not to care too much about what sub-series each game falls under.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I've got mine preordered from Amazon, so there's no telling when I'll get it.
I should probably pop in the first game, one of these days.

Volcynika

NichM said:
We got our first production copy of the set at the office today. So awesome.

Should I be allowed to destroy any GameStop employee that might try to open my set? It'd be nice if I had that right!

Clearing up issues: There are no battles in towns in Raidou 2. Similar to Persona in that respect.

God I'm excited. Raiho will become my new BFF. :)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm not huge on the action rpg thing. I prefer the standard Megami games. BUT GOD DO I WANT THAT PLUSH!

t3nmilez

Preordered this game only for the Raiho plushie, heh, that's how you give incentive! Of course, I'll play through the game as well.

I tried slogging my way through the last game but the combat just wasn't doing it for me, as much as I loved the setting and style of the game. I didn't make it that far, but do you guys think it's worth forcing myself through playing the game before this hits? Just reading a story summary at the beginning of the game won't be the same as actually seeing everything happen.

t3nmilez said:
Preordered this game only for the Raiho plushie, heh, that's how you give incentive! Of course, I'll play through the game as well.

I tried slogging my way through the last game but the combat just wasn't doing it for me, as much as I loved the setting and style of the game. I didn't make it that far, but do you guys think it's worth forcing myself through playing the game before this hits? Just reading a story summary at the beginning of the game won't be the same as actually seeing everything happen.

Considering the game comes out in three days, it might not be altogether possible. That being said, the first game had a decent story, it was just violently repetitive. I will say that it'll be hard as fuck to go back to DS1 after you play DS2 lol

t3nmilez

TheChillyAcademic said:
Considering the game comes out in three days, it might not be altogether possible. That being said, the first game had a decent story, it was just violently repetitive. I will say that it'll be hard as fuck to go back to DS1 after you play DS2 lol

Well, I wouldn't play the second game until I finish the first one, of course. I probably won't start the game for awhile anyway, I only preordered it for the plushie, otherwise I would have bought it later down the line.

Forgot all about this. Preordered it just now on amazon, and the price appears to have gone down to 34.99. (was 39.99)

can't say no to that! and the plushie! Red Scarlet you are missing out!

t3nmilez said:
Well, I wouldn't play the second game until I finish the first one, of course. I probably won't start the game for awhile anyway, I only preordered it for the plushie, otherwise I would have bought it later down the line.

You'd be able to slog through the original in a decent time...might as well if you have it :D

Volcynika

methos75 said:
Now hopefully they will give us some next-gen SMT news.:D

Prolly hear this from Atlus Japan before Atlus USA, barring some crazy E3 shenanigans.

Also, Atlus must beat NISA in releasing the last set of PS2 games here, NISA cannot win!

Yaweee

NichM said:
Game ships today! There's an entry on the official PSblog about it, for anyone who's forgotten there's an (awesome) game in there too.

Awesome news. I wonder how badly the Gamestop recording will butcher the title.

I was kind of dissapointed to hear that Hard mode isn't available from the start, but I guess that's what multiple endings are for. It actually sounds like fun rather than Raidou 1's 7x damage factor and almost complete uselessness of demons.

According to some dude on GameFAQS:

-you receive double damage from enemies
-enemies' defense is doubled
-takes four times longer to escape from battle
-earned MAG is 0.6 times normal, but there's no change when time passes in battle or when defeating enemies
-shop prices are doubled
-prices when summoning from Compendium are doubled
-price of Sword Fusion is doubled
-increased chance to encounter Fiends and will appear starting in Chapter 1

I recall some people being worried that loading some data from the original gave too big of an advantage, but apparently the "no conversation necessary" bonus only applies to a few demons. You also get a little bit extra starting Yen based on how complete your compendium is.

Hobbun

TheChillyAcademic said:
Why aren't more people excited!??!!?

Hey, I am looking forward to it. But not excited as I won't be able to play it for awhile. Still need to play the first one.

NichM

Banned
Yaweee said:
I was kind of dissapointed to hear that Hard mode isn't available from the start, but I guess that's what multiple endings are for. It actually sounds like fun rather than Raidou 1's 7x damage factor.

We actually looked into the possibility of making Hard available from the start, but it would have had to be rebalanced, since the conditions of Hard are assuming you're playing through with NG+ benefits. So we left it as is.

Hobbun

NichM said:
We actually looked into the possibility of making Hard available from the start, but it would have had to be rebalanced, since the conditions of Hard are assuming you're playing through with NG+ benefits. So we left it as is.

Oh now that is so good to hear!

So how did you do P3:FES differently in allowing Hard mode from the beginning? Is it different when you do New Game+?

Yaweee

NichM said:

Ah, that's good to know.

Paznos

Haven't played the first game but have this one coming this week, hopefully they'll reprint the first game down the line. Now to finish Persona 4 :lol

botticus

Hobbun said:
Hey, I am looking forward to it. But not excited as I won't be able to play it for awhile. Still need to play the first one.
Ditto, I just managed to finish Chapter 1 over the weekend. It's gonna be a while.

TheExodu5

Banned
How is this game...did anyone play the JP version? I do love Nocturne/P4 (P3 significantly less). Is the battle system any good? How's the story/artstyle/music? How's the difficulty?

Hobbun

Paznos said:
Haven't played the first game but have this one coming this week, hopefully they'll reprint the first game down the line. Now to finish Persona 4 :lol

I'm in the same boat, but trying to finish P3, myself. (FES). But I still have to get through The Answer, as well. I love it so far. I haven't played P4 yet.

Top Bottom