• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Devil Summoner 2 NA Thread of Raiho keeping the PS2 alive!

Volcynika

TheExodu5 said:
How is this game...did anyone play the JP version? I do love Nocturne/P4 (P3 significantly less). Is the battle system any good? How's the story/artstyle/music? How's the difficulty?

There's two links in the OP, one for the J-GAF thread and one for Bebpo's review he did. Check out both, Bebpo's is a great read btw.

Also, fuck yeah, Raiho tomorrow.

What was the rationale for not releasing the new version of maniacs along with this? (The one that replaces dante with raidou?)

yes, I'm aware SMT3 sold like hot buttered ass when it was released originally, (and I bought it! at full price!) but surely demand for the game and series have gone up substantially since then

TheExodu5

Banned
Volcynika said:
There's two links in the OP, one for the J-GAF thread and one for Bebpo's review he did. Check out both, Bebpo's is a great read btw.

Also, fuck yeah, Raiho tomorrow.

Wow. Bebpo has sold me. Thanks.

edit: ugh...Amazon.ca is selling this for $15 more than in the US. WTF.

No_Style

TheExodu5 said:
Wow. Bebpo has sold me. Thanks.

edit: ugh...Amazon.ca is selling this for $15 more than in the US. WTF.

I'm paying $40 after taxes. :D

Pre-ordered off Amazon.ca when it was $35.99 and then used the $10 off coupon when it was still valid.

JEKKI

Manmademan said:
yes, I'm aware SMT3 sold like hot buttered ass when it was released originally, (and I bought it! at full price!) but surely demand for the game and series have gone up substantially since then
o_O

I dont get it... is hot buttered ass something that sells well?

didnt the game sell all its copies and had to get reprinted like hella later?? I assume hot buttered ass is a good thing then.

Paznos said:
Haven't played the first game but have this one coming this week, hopefully they'll reprint the first game down the line. Now to finish Persona 4 :lol

eh, no need to reprint the first. buy it from some onlineshop in CA or the US.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Manmademan said:
What was the rationale for not releasing the new version of maniacs along with this? (The one that replaces dante with raidou?)

Although the translation would basically be 99.999% the same, it would still need to be reprogrammed for English, and then QAed, and Atlus probably figured it just wouldn't be profitable.

Volcynika

New Atlus fan newsletter thing about reviews

Shin Megami Tensei fans, your fix is almost here! This week, Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon and its plush companion Raiho will find their way onto your shelf/desk/nightstand/pedestal. "Is it just a nice package and a stuffed doll?" some of you scoff.

"No," we reply, shaking your shoulders lightly, "it is MUCH more than just a box and a plushie... but don't just take our word for it..."

You see, Faithful, Devil Summoner 2 isn't just a sequel; it's not just the next entry in the series. New content, refined gameplay, extra features... every enhancement you'd want (or not know you wanted) makes this a must-own RPG for 2009.

We've pushed for so long that it's a great value, that Devil Summoner 2 gives more game and collectible bang-for-buck than anything else releasing this year, that we may have in the process understated just how rock-solid Devil Summoner 2 is as a game.

Take a great SMT story with multiple endings and plot progression that really makes you feel like you're a detective, mix into it some tightly-controlled action RPG combat, some demon negotiation, collection, and fusion, and for good measure, a sprinkle of awesome visuals from master artist Kazuma Kaneko and music from famed composer Shoji Meguro.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon ships into retailers across North America on May 12th. Each and every launch is a deluxe boxed set including the rare Raiho plushie. It's the ultimate Atlus Spoils offering, the ultimate SMT fan collectible, and it's only available in very limited quantities... Don't miss out!

RPGFan gave it an 88/100, and XPlay gave it a 4/5. Editing links into the OP.

Volcynika

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Tomorrow, yay.

Not a fan of the writing from the dude who wrote the blog. Kinda too much for the sake of the kind of crap that rabid fans would eat up.

Hey, best not be hatin' on Aram!

-PXG- said:
DS2 was shipped today and will be in stores tomorrow. We get our shipments between 11-12 Mon-Fri.

Yeah I just called the GS I used to work out. I could have sworn the game wasn't getting shipped until tomorrow but it looks like the UPS delivery will be in tomorrow around 11:30 ish.

HYPE.

Althane

Ordered it from the local game shop (NOT gamestop. Makes me so happy to have that dude set up shop there). So we'll see when it shows up (if he placed the order, I mean, the dude seems to have his heart in the right place, but I've never done this before with him, so... yeah).

Probably gonna play it a little bit in the week, and then a LOT over the Weekend.

Yay more SMT gaming! (Working on Persona 3 FES right now. Game makes me happy. In a sad way.)

bryehn

Amazon.ca is saying in stock on the 16th, mine's set to ship on Friday. No biggie, I still have to finish the first game :lol

None of the gamestops around where I live (on the east coast) have any copies. I am probably going to call again later on to see if maybe they got a late shipment in.

Hobbun

I called my local Gamestop last night and spoke with the store manager. I had asked him if the game was coming out tomorrow (today) and he said it was taken off their preorder list, so he anticipated it would be.

However, I did not get GS's automated phone call, so I don't know. I will call him in about an hour or two to see if they got it in.

Tenks

Hobbun said:
I called my local Gamestop last night and spoke with the store manager. I had asked him if the game was coming out tomorrow (today) and he said it was taken off their preorder list, so he anticipated it would be.

However, I did not get GS's automated phone call, so I don't know. I will call him in about an hour or two to see if they got it in.

Please update this thread once you talk with them. I'm in a similar situation but GS is generally good about that phone call.

Volcynika

TheChillyAcademic said:
People still live in Alabama?!?!?!!??!?

We've been known to.

I'll probably call again on the way home (not leaving for another six hours anyways) and see if they got a late shipment.

But seriously, I better get it, and if they open the package or anything for whatever reason, I will flip my shit.

Volcynika

TheChillyAcademic said:
Hmmmm, its odd that most GS' dont seem to have copies in. In Southern California, most of the shipments have come in.

You mean in Southern California, the same state Atlus USA is located in?

:p

TheChillyAcademic said:
Hmmmm, its odd that most GS' dont seem to have copies in. In Southern California, most of the shipments have come in.
Hmm, really? In that case, I may have to call my GS when I get off work.

Volcynika said:

Well they're located in Irvine, which is, depending on traffic, 20-40 minutes from Los Angeles (Nich can vouch for this), so I suppose that makes sense. Dont think the shipping of the titles go through Atlus' from the UPS processing centre though >.>

I checked at work last night and today was the ship date. Some stores might get it in today, but chances are it'll be in tomorrow.

Volcynika

TheChillyAcademic said:
Well they're located in Irvine, which is, depending on traffic, 20-40 minutes from Los Angeles (Nich can vouch for this), so I suppose that makes sense. Dont think the shipping of the titles go through Atlus' from the UPS processing centre though >.>

Well yeah, but if it's Atlus, us east-coasters are left out in the cold. IN THE COLD.

ronito

hrmm....after picking up Persona 4 my interest is piqued in anything SMT right now. Seriously considering picking it up.

Hobbun

Tenks said:
Please update this thread once you talk with them. I'm in a similar situation but GS is generally good about that phone call.

Ok, will do.

Yaweee said:
My GS in Illinois did not get it in today, either.

I'm in IL as well. Now your GS confirmed it won't come in today, or they just don't have their shipment yet?

Yaweee

Hobbun said:
Ok, will do.

I'm in IL as well. Now your GS confirmed it won't come in today, or they just don't have their shipment yet?

They said it wasn't in today's shipment, their computer is showing today as the ship day, and that they'll get it in tomorrow.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
We don't get any new releases on Tuesday in NC unless they've been street dated preshipped games. I'm expecting to have this tomorrow. Still need to play DS1 before this, so naturally I started up Kings Field: The Ancient City instead.

Volcynika

ronito said:
hrmm....after picking up Persona 4 my interest is piqued in anything SMT right now. Seriously considering picking it up.

Just as long as you understand going from P4 to this would be a smiiiiiiiidge different, battle system wise :p

Hobbun

Yaweee said:
They said it wasn't in today's shipment, their computer is showing today as the ship day, and that they'll get it in tomorrow.

Ok, probably what will happen with my Gamestop, as well.

bryehn

No_Style said:
I'm paying $40 after taxes. :D

Pre-ordered off Amazon.ca when it was $35.99 and then used the $10 off coupon when it was still valid.

$35.99 and free shipping (not sure how/why) here. Pre-ordered at the right time I guess :D

Hobbun said:
Lite? The Devil Summoner games are that more difficult?

I'm more or less referring to the fact that the Persona games (Post Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment) were streamlined versions of the SMT formula. Demon negotiation, moral affinity, difficulty etc.

The original DS (well, original PS2 DS) wasn't necessarily difficult, DS2 is a bit more of a return to form in the aspect.

Aeana said:
And turn-based.

Press Turn 4 life!!!!

Yes Boss!

Volcynika said:

You know, I live about a two miles from Atlus and quite often all the shops around here are on the same timeline as everybody else. Location really doesn't matter.

Top Bottom