• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Fallout 3 thread of post-apocalyptic proportions!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It works straight out of the vault too. I have a level 30 character that did nothing but half of the Blood Ties quest(the guy who sells stuff in the Family has 20 pieces of scrap metal), all I did was go up to get the alien blaster and ammo, gave it to casdin, glitched the scrap metal, then leveled off of walter. It gave like 150000 caps too. :lol

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
Papercuts said:
It works straight out of the vault too. I have a level 30 character that did nothing but half of the Blood Ties quest(the guy who sells stuff in the Family has 20 pieces of scrap metal), all I did was go up to get the alien blaster and ammo, gave it to casdin, glitched the scrap metal, then leveled off of walter. It gave like 150000 caps too. :lol
:lol you never have to worry about caps with that many :lol

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Are there any good PC deals for this? I'm interested but I really don't want to pay 30+ for it.

If you're worried about value, $30 is pretty damn cheap for the time you'll get out of Fallout 3.

Unless you're unsure if you'll like it or not, which is a whole 'nother story :D

Quick question for people who have finished Broken Steel:

What were all of the choices for launching the satellite missiles at? I saw Rivet City, Megaton and I think the Citadel, but went with the Air Force Base even though I was on my evil character. I have a save before that point, but it's clear back at the start of Broken Steel. Would it be worth it to go back and hit some other place instead or does it really not make much of a difference?

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
Ysiadmihi said:
If you're worried about value, $30 is pretty damn cheap for the time you'll get out of Fallout 3.

Unless you're unsure if you'll like it or not, which is a whole 'nother story :D

Quick question for people who have finished Broken Steel:

What were all of the choices for launching the satellite missiles at? I saw Rivet City, Megaton and I think the Citadel, but went with the Air Force Base even though I was on my evil character. I have a save before that point, but it's clear back at the start of Broken Steel. Would it be worth it to go back and hit some other place instead or does it really not make much of a difference?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Who_Dares_Wins

If you were able to set the Enclave as targets at the mainframe, then be happy! There are plenty of turrets and Sentry Bots up here that pretty much take care of the Enclave for you. Head to the Satellite Tower. Once inside, head to the top, to the terminal. Make sure you've thoroughly searched the crawler, since there's tons of ammo and weapons then hit 'fire Payload', then chose your target:

* Preset Target 01: Citadel
* Preset Target 02: Project Purity
* Preset Target 03: Megaton
* Preset Target 04: Rivet City Carrier
* Preset Target 05: Adams AFB Platform

Note only two of the targets can be fired upon: Adams AFB Platform, or the Citadel. Head through the door at the top back out to Adams Air Force Base, where Sentinel Lyons shows up in a hijacked Vertibird to get you out. Hop on, and away you go!

If you chose the Citadel: You are rewarded with 1000 negative karma, and on the flight back the pilots seem to think the Vertibird is malfunctioning when the Citadel won't respond to radio. Upon landing and seeing the smouldering ruins, they quickly pick up that it was you, and attempt to kill you, deeming you a traitor.

If you chose Adams AFB Platform: You are rewarded with 1000 positive karma, and the Vertibird lands a little off Adams AFB to allow you to watch the missiles strike. After hopping back on the Vertibird, you are taken to the Citadel, where Elder Lyons is waiting with a heart-warming speech of thanks.

there is also a few different different weapons/ammo each at each location afterward
in the rubble

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Broken_Steel

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Damn, I kind of wish I
bombed the Citadel now. Oh well, I'll just spawn any weapons I missed if I get desperate enough later on
:lol

Ledsen

1stStrike said:
Ah see, I use fast travel a lot. I'm definitely impatient..and the stupid AI partner (Sorry Charon, I like you in your enclave hellfire suit of armor and all) but they really needed better control options for them..some hotkeys or something. I've had to tell them to wait in a spot on more occasions than I would've liked.

Oh and, random thought but..does anyone else get a Killzone vibe from the enclave hellfire armor? I realize Fallout has been out a lot longer than Killzone and the armor doesn't really look the same..but the first time I saw the enclave hellfire armor I was just like.."whoa, where did that helghast come...from...oh, enclave." I might just be crazy though so feel free to label me as such :p

Well the Helghast are a straight rip-off from the Kerberos Saga, so maybe Fallout got some inspiration from that as well

Akaimegane2ndvhs.jpg

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
neoism said:
With all these glitches and fucking stupid bugs, I'm very reluctant to buy more DLC. I probably will, BUT BETHESDA if you come here and read GAF at all. PLEASE included another level cap. AT LEAST level 35, I'm bound to get to 30 before I beat BS, sooo please with sugar on top!!!!!
That wouldn't make a bloody sense if you ask me.
In case you level smart (use books and stuff), you can almost hit 100 for ALL stats already with level 20 - now we already have level 30.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Hootie said:
I just wish Bethesda would fix the fuckin' problem I'm having with Fawkes (and all other followers, to a lesser extent). If I jump over a rock, the suddenly run in the opposite direction for miles and I never see 'em again. Sometimes they'll do it even if I go up on a raised sidewalk, it's ridiculous. It's actually a chore having Fawkes as a companion, ESPECIALLY in buildings that have stairs. I literally have to turn around and make sure he/she/it is still there every 15 seconds.

Yeah the game is buggy as fuck. I got tired of fawkes tagging along and then when he got kills sometimes it gave me xp and some times it didnt. I lost so much fucking time doing this. You also cant really explore because he'll get stuck somewhere and you have to keep on looking behind your back to see if he's still there.

I just left the dude at my apartment in tenpenny and went out on my own. It really doesnt take that long to level up at all. I should be 30 by tomorrow.

--any one else having problem playing the game installed off of the hdd? I think it runs better off the disc.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I made the game crash last night (360) :D

You know how in Vault 106
the hallways turn blue and you see the original vault dwellers
? Well, I got to the
overseer's
office.
The room turned blue but he didn't disappear fast enough. I ran over to him to initiate a conversation and the game froze instantly. The game was like "WTF? You can't initiate a conversation with a ghost! I reloaded the game and let the overseer disappear and all was good.

Right now I'm lvl 5 and have Fallout 3 with both expansions installed for PC along with 1.4 patch and also Unofficial Patch.

Thing is I really want Broken Steel as well... But I need 1.5 patch for it which I hear has some nasty bugs. Should I wait or ?

1stStrike

Banned
Melhisedek said:
Right now I'm lvl 5 and have Fallout 3 with both expansions installed for PC along with 1.4 patch and also Unofficial Patch.

Thing is I really want Broken Steel as well... But I need 1.5 patch for it which I hear has some nasty bugs. Should I wait or ?

Eh, I think most of the people having issues with 1.5 are the peeps with a bunch of mods installed. I don't have any mods installed and I haven't really noticed any difference between 1.4 and 1.5.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Thread is too big to dig around, but I am planning to buy this soon for PC and need to know any necessary mods to get. Really looking for something that rebalances the game and combat to make VATS a bit more pertinent. On the 360, it rarely felt like going for limb damage or using certain guns made any dramatic effect. Wondering if there is some fan that retooled the stats and modifiers to make the 'RPG' stuff stand out more.

Thanks.

epmode

1stStrike said:
Eh, I think most of the people having issues with 1.5 are the peeps with a bunch of mods installed. I don't have any mods installed and I haven't really noticed any difference between 1.4 and 1.5.
I noticed that I can no longer alt-tab back into the game. Hangs. This is a showstopper for me, honestly. I had the same bug a few patches ago. It was fixed updating my videocard drivers (nvidia XP32), but the newest WHQL drivers don't help this time.

Oh and they still haven't fixed the VATS targeting delay that was introduced in the very first patch.

Remember when patches were a Good Thing? Fix your shit, Bethesda.

1stStrike

Banned
epmode said:
I noticed that I can no longer alt-tab back into the game. Hangs. This is a showstopper for me, honestly. I had the same bug a few patches ago. It was fixed updating my videocard drivers (nvidia XP32), but the newest WHQL drivers don't help this time.

Oh and they still haven't fixed the VATS targeting delay that was introduced in the very first patch.

Remember when patches were a Good Thing? Fix your shit, Bethesda.

Weird. I couldn't alt tab before yet now I can just fine. It doesn't hang at all anymore.

Brandon F said:
Thread is too big to dig around, but I am planning to buy this soon for PC and need to know any necessary mods to get. Really looking for something that rebalances the game and combat to make VATS a bit more pertinent. On the 360, it rarely felt like going for limb damage or using certain guns made any dramatic effect. Wondering if there is some fan that retooled the stats and modifiers to make the 'RPG' stuff stand out more.

Thanks.

Look for a mod called Amplified Cripple Effects (ACE).

Dyno

Brandon F said:
On the 360, it rarely felt like going for limb damage or using certain guns made any dramatic effect.

I play on the 360 and limb damage has been a big help! Dart Gun to the leg is the only reason I'm surviving Deathclaw attacks. Getting the Enclave and Raiders to drop their weapons is also a big Hit Point saver. Usually I only start and finish with head shots versus weak opponents.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Yeah shooting the weapon is a life saver vs opponents who have ridiculous HP.

I mean even the new hellfire enclave troopers will take 3 shots from the alien blaster to die, it's nuts. Don't get me started on the super mutant overlords that pack the tri ace laser. whatever it's called.

BeeDog

What the flying fuck, just finished everything in The Pitt, and decided to go and get some experience by giving scrap metal to Walter. I can't find that sob anywhere now, damnit!

Is there any way to locate him (or his fucking corpse)?

EDIT: found a forum post that gives some console commands to try out, but at the same time I really don't want to ruin my chance of getting achievements. By using "move to" and "resurrect" commands, am I locking myself out of grabbing achievements?

BeeDog

ICallItFutile said:
He is probably dead; same thing happened to me. No idea if you can find his corpse.

Oh, I know the necessary console commands to revive him and all that, I just wanna know if I'm locking myself out of future achievements by using those.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
BeeDog said:
What the flying fuck, just finished everything in The Pitt, and decided to go and get some experience by giving scrap metal to Walter. I can't find that sob anywhere now, damnit!

Is there any way to locate him (or his fucking corpse)?

EDIT: found a forum post that gives some console commands to try out, but at the same time I really don't want to ruin my chance of getting achievements. By using "move to" and "resurrect" commands, am I locking myself out of grabbing achievements?
no

1stStrike

Banned
Killing some of the super mutant lords and those new ghouls can be a bit ridiculous on very hard. I run out of action points and there's no cover system so it basically boils down to me repeatedly shooting the weapon out of their hand (if they have one) and then just blasting them with all I've got till they finally die lol

I'm at lvl 29/30 though now..I'll probably hit 30 before I start the final part of broken steel just to get it out of the way.

Avoided all of the expansions while waiting on the level cap boost, so I finally got started again this weekend. Apparently it's a bad idea to reload your endgame save to get all three expansions to kick in, so it took 3 or 4 tries on the 360 to get them all talking.

But when I did...wow. The Pitt just sucked me back in. I didn't think I would like losing my stuff for awhile, but it was fun to rely on my perks. And the shades of grey storyline helped, too.

One bug though (no surprise, I suppose) - you can just walk right out from the original game ending location - where your partner just stands around - and head all the way to the Pitt, and the game will still tell you to leave your partner behind.

No wonder I'm nervous about leaving items behind in the house. :lol

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Yeah I havnt tried it on very hard I only play on hard, can't imagine very hard. What pisses me off is that the mini nukes are so scarce in stores. Does anyone besides shrapnel at rivet city sell them?

I'm just going to nuke the damn overlords from now on they piss me off. Caps I can spare since there aint shit to buy.

Pretty much done with the game now. Am flying around with clipping turned off and my movement speed ramped through the roof.

Still a couple of buildings I haven't seen and I've visiting them one by one. :)

1stStrike

Banned
ChrisGoldstein said:
Yeah I havnt tried it on very hard I only play on hard, can't imagine very hard. What pisses me off is that the mini nukes are so scarce in stores. Does anyone besides shrapnel at rivet city sell them?

I'm just going to nuke the damn overlords from now on they piss me off. Caps I can spare since there aint shit to buy.

Ehh I don't really use the mini nukes. I think I've used maybe two the whole game. I have like 26 of them just chilling lol. I'd rather carry around more weapons/armor than have a fatman hogging up space.

Oh and the only difference between very hard and say.. normal is pretty much the enemies ridiculous HP. Sure, they do more damage, but it's a non-factor most of the time. The only thing that really hurts me is that tri-beam laser rifle the lords carry around. I thank anchorage for the 1 million hp power armor that is still at 100% durability lol. They messed that one up too.

I kinda wish that there was a cover system or something...the AI really leaves a bit to be desired at times. I'll try to take cover and poke out and shoot them but they just run around all crazy-like and then charge me. Either that or they just stand there and shoot until I kill them. It's not challenging...just annoying.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Did anyone else find Broken Steel tough? For me every quest in the game up to this point was average or fairly easy. The only time the game felt hard was the first 10 or so hours. Broken Steel has been by far the hardest quest, partially because Clover kept dying (eventually I sent her away) even when wearing the Operation Anchorage armor. It would probably be a lot easier with high sneak; mine is only 68 while wearing the Chinese Stealth Armor.

Broken Steel is still my favorite quest in the game. Bethesda was really on top of this one.

Just got all the achievements on the 360 version two hours ago. :D

My first 360 game in which I got all the achievements! 64/64!

Feel so satisfied.

I love this game. <3

Have I screwed myself? I'm in the final area of Broken Steel and I have to get to a tower on top of this crawler thing I'm in to summon an air strike. I looked at some faqs and they say go through a northern door which I broke a lock pick in or use a security terminal which I'm not high enough skilled to crack. I've been wandering around this thing for an hour and it's so annoying with the end so close.

Looks like I need to enter the mainframe but require a key. No clue where to get it.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
robut said:
Have I screwed myself? I'm in the final area of Broken Steel and I have to get to a tower on top of this crawler thing I'm in to summon an air strike. I looked at some faqs and they say go through a northern door which I broke a lock pick in or use a security terminal which I'm not high enough skilled to crack. I've been wandering around this thing for an hour and it's so annoying with the end so close.

Looks like I need to enter the mainframe but require a key. No clue where to get it.

I believe you get it off the guard sitting next to the mainframe door.

Ricker

Finished the Pitt and liked it...level 23 now and I have not yet started the Broken Steel part...at my last level up,just before finishing the game back in December,I chose the Perk that shows you every location on the world Map and I am proceeding to those that I don't have the travel option highlighted.Thank god for Fawkes at one point because meeting 2 Supermutant Overlords on a roof by myself I would of been toast hehe...

rhino4evr

So..it seems that downloading Broken Steel adds new enemies in other quests. I just did the Stealing Indpendence quest, and ended up fighting at least 4 Mutant Overlords in the National Archives.

I'll say it again, they should have released this DLC first..because it adds so much to the actual game.

Also played through Operation Anchorage: That was fun, but why didn't I get the Sniper Rifle in the end? That thing was bad ass.

Im already at level 24 and haven't even touched the Broken Steel quests.

Brandon F said:

Thanks.

well the current state of mods is kinda fucked because of 1.5, however the big 3 that I use (FOOK, FWE, AND MMM) fook and mmm work with 1.5 and the maker of FWE will tweak his to work with 1.5 in the next few weeks, otherwise its using 1.0.0.15 + fake patch, and that makes broken steel kinda glitchy, but all the mods will work as they did pre 1.5 patch

tldr; a modded up fallout 3 1.5 patched crashes all the time, fake patched fallout 3 works with mods but is glitchy with broken steal, in the future the main fallout 3 mods I use will work with 1.5

that being said here is my mods post (with current fake patch work around, untill a fix is made for 1.5 + mods + broken steel).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15765733&postcount=10938

as you can see the fake patch method is convoluted as all hell.....

ICallItFutile said:
EDIT: Whoops dp

Uh so yeah, surprised I found an alien blaster and tons of ammo on the crawler.

thats a random encounter, a ufo explodes and drops a blast and ammo all over, I found one one time right outside super duper mart, at like level 2!, I was stoked!

Dyno

Loving the Broken Steel! The fights are suitably epic and the opponents are a good challenge. Some interesting situations too.

I took the Puppies perk for a laugh and was pleasantly surprised to see that Dogmeat V.2 is a bullet sponge just like the new monsters and does noticable damage too boot. Plus now I'm sure he's got a taste for ghoul flesh.

BigAT

Is there a way to deal with bugged ghoul reavers in the metro tunnels? Where they start to spaz out and they're nearly impossible to hit. It's currently halting my progress on Broken Steel.

BigAT said:
Is there a way to deal with bugged ghoul reavers in the metro tunnels? Where they start to spaz out and they're nearly impossible to hit. It's currently halting my progress on Broken Steel.
Fallout wiki says you should hit them in the legs... something like that anyway.

How do I repair the Tesla Cannon. After using it to pwn turrets and Enclave soldiers at the air force base it's sitting in my home locker at 60% health. Can't wait until Repair Rethought includes all the DLC stuff.

Killzig

ChoklitReign said:
How do I repair the Tesla Cannon. After using it to pwn turrets and Enclave soldiers at the air force base it's sitting in my home locker at 60% health. Can't wait until Repair Rethought includes all the DLC stuff.
There should be two more in the citadel lab next to a big talking head.

Ok I just started the game, how do I get the Megaton armory to open?

Iam lvl4, I am at the part where you meet the brotherhood and you follow them to the radio station where this huge things keeps coming at us but I keep getting killed, any suggestions?

I need some weapons, where else can I buy ammo and weapons other than Megaton armory?

Top Bottom