• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Fallout 3 thread of post-apocalyptic proportions!

Zyzyxxz

wow after updating to 1.5 I'm getting crashes every time I try to save/ autosave.

I have a bunch of mods installed so I dont really feel like unisntalling unless necessary.

Anybody know whats wrong?

1stStrike

Banned
When I finished the game and then went on to start the broken steel portion it said "Clover has returned to The Museum of History". Well..I had Charon with me and Clover's been dead for a while lol. But, I went there and Charon was waiting for me so it's all good.

I've taken a liking to the gauss rifle. It makes a fantastic sniper rifle and the ability to knock opponents on their asses is pretty handy.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The new enemies are insanly overpowered. Just had to deal with two of the new ghouls. It took me friggn' forever to kill them. Needed like 20-30 Stimpacks. Not a bip problem since I had 200+ Stimpacks at that time but fuck..... this is insane. And what do it get? Riddiculus 65 EXP? Same like for the piece of cake - Mutantlord.....

Come the fuck on Beth. You can do better than that....

Still a great game though. I'm near to 120 hours now. By the end of Broken Steel I will probably reach that mark. After that I'll get the Level 30 Achievements and that's it I think. Hope they will make a couple of more Episodes. There's nothing better than coming back to this game every 2-3 months. It just has such an unique feeling to it. Had to shoot a picture today - sorry for the crappy quality....

img0106tsp.jpg

Walking into the sunset through destoyed Washington DC while 60's music is playing in the background. So beautiful and yet so weird.

Great game!

Aurora

ALaz502 said:
Okay, question, which two quests? and HOW are you getting 108 XP per enemy? Even when I'm well rested I only get about 68 XP off the highest level enemies like deathclaws/albino scorpion/etc.
Stealing Independence and The American Dream. I went hunting for the Super Mutant Behemoths in between too, using the Metro tunnel networks and rarely fast-travelling at all. The Takora Park tunnel in particular had a ton of Mirelurk Kings worth 108 exp each.

Swift Learner (+30% exp), Well Rested (+10% exp) and difficulty set to Very Hard gets me 108 exp from the harder enemies, and about 72 exp from the others.

Aurora said:
Stealing Independence and The American Dream. I went hunting for the Super Mutant Behemoths in between too, using the Metro tunnel networks and rarely fast-travelling at all. The Takora Park tunnel in particular had a ton of Mirelurk Kings worth 108 exp each.

Swift Learner (+30% exp), Well Rested (+10% exp) and difficulty set to Very Hard gets me 108 exp from the harder enemies, and about 72 exp from the others.

Damn, the only thing that I'm doing different is that I don't have the "Swift Learner" perk. I'm well rested, and set on very hard. Getting 68. +30% on that is only 88.

Oh well, maybe one of our games is glitched. Wouldn't surprise me.

Nikorasu

I've been waiting for all the DLC to be released before getting back into this. I played for about 40 hours on my first character in the first week or so of the game's release. The extended hiatus made me totally appreciate this game again. Even though I've been almost everywhere in my last playthrough, the sense of discovery and "place" is still totally there. It's pretty amazing. I'm seeing tons of detail and running into encounters I've never seen the first time around in completely unexpected places. I can't wait to give the expansion stuff a shot.
Is there any word whether Beth is working on anything else for this game? I'm crossing my fingers for a big Shivering isles-type expansion, but these days that's probably asking for too much.

BeeDog

Phew, got all 100 steel ingots, was a chore. But on the plus side, the Steelyard environment has to be the best explorable setting in Fallout 3 by far, gotta love all the nooks to explore.

I have a question though; I just retrieved my equipment after the Pitt fights, and I'm insanely overloaded and need to drop off a lot of stuff. Is there a safe place in The Pitt where I can drop off stuff and retrieve later? (aka will I get to revisit The Pitt after I've finished the quests there?)

How the hell do I activate Broken Steel?! I have two level 20 characters, one right inside the Jefferson Memorial and the other before Little Lamplight, and it still won't raise the cap! I can beat the game, see the normal cutscene, and nothing changes. GOFW says it's installed and I see a loading extra content message everytime I start F3. How do I activate it?

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
BeeDog said:
Phew, got all 100 steel ingots, was a chore. But on the plus side, the Steelyard environment has to be the best explorable setting in Fallout 3 by far, gotta love all the nooks to explore.

I have a question though; I just retrieved my equipment after the Pitt fights, and I'm insanely overloaded and need to drop off a lot of stuff. Is there a safe place in The Pitt where I can drop off stuff and retrieve later? (aka will I get to revisit The Pitt after I've finished the quests there?)

yes you can go back to the Pitt once you've completed it, also there should be a locker near to where you got your equipment back that I used and seemed to work fine

Zyzyxxz said:
wow after updating to 1.5 I'm getting crashes every time I try to save/ autosave.

I have a bunch of mods installed so I dont really feel like unisntalling unless necessary.

that's the problem most likely, ZombieSupaStar will be able to answer you better, here is a post about mods http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15765733&postcount=10938

I'm not going to go for level 30 for a while, since there is a good possibility of some more DLC http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_downloadable_content

knitoe

ChoklitReign said:
How the hell do I activate Broken Steel?! I have two level 20 characters, one right inside the Jefferson Memorial and the other before Little Lamplight, and it still won't raise the cap! I can beat the game, see the normal cutscene, and nothing changes. GOFW says it's installed and I see a loading extra content message everytime I start F3. How do I activate it?
For me, beat game. Press buttons to fast forward credits, but nothing changed. Beat game again using same save file, let credit finish, and then, game continue "2 weeks later" message with Broken Steel. Someone else posted about same thing. Think, for some reason, you have to finish quest twice. Not sure if you need to wait for credits to finish.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
ChoklitReign said:
I'm more concerned about the level cap. I've heard you don't have to beat the game to unlock it.
pc?

try offline trick http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_downloadable_content

Playing offline

While Games for Windows Live requires you to be online to in order to play DLC packs, you can find the DLC files (a main .bsa, a sounds .bsa, and an .esm) in the following folder

* C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Xlive\DLC (Windows XP)
* C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\DLC (Windows Vista)

If you move them to your Fallout 3\Data folder, you will be able to play the DLC without activating Games for Windows Live.

Remember to load through the Fallout 3 launcher then click on "Data Files" and check the box next to "Anchorage" before running the game. Keep in mind that this workaround is not officially supported.

And please remember if you are using your Windows search function to search "hidden folders" in order to find these files.

knitoe

ChoklitReign said:
I'm more concerned about the level cap. I've heard you don't have to beat the game to unlock it.
http://blogs.ign.com/Bethesda_Softworks/2009/05/08/119948/

Unlike the previous DLCs, The Pitt and Operation: Anchorage, Broken Steel’s questline requires the player to have completed the main quest before venturing on. If you haven’t reached the game’s end, you’ll still notice the game’s new achievements, level cap, perks, enemies, weapons, etc.

According to above, you are correct. I only continue pass the ending. I take it you aren't getting any XP doing stuff even after adding Broken Steel? Ooh, I am on X360 by the way.

knitoe said:
For me, beat game. Press buttons to fast forward credits, but nothing changed. Beat game again using same save file, let credit finish, and then, game continue "2 weeks later" message with Broken Steel. Someone else posted about same thing. Think, for some reason, you have to finish quest twice. Not sure if you need to wait for credits to finish.
Finished twice, long-ass cutscene, menu. NOTHING CHANGED.

Tobor

ChoklitReign said:
Well I just found out what the problem is - none of those files are in the DLC folder! There's three folder-in-folders named with random numbers and letters, a PNG icon, an XBX file, a Security Catalog file, and a Content folder filled with 3 cutscenes. Nothing else. Did I somehow botch the download?

Obviously. If it was working properly, you would have seen an alert about the level cap being raised shortly after loading your save.

So I deleted the folders in DLC and am trying to reinstall but it's stuck in a loop. I think I'm hopelessly screwed.

I got it to download. Wish me luck.

Grayman

So I have been playing this none stop for two days and am wondering where I can safely keep objects, preferably that I can map back to fairly quickly. I've noticed that dead bodies stay almost forever but I do not want to trust telsa or enclave armor to the ground or containers that may or may not eat it. weight is getting to be a bitch with my low strength.

voltron

Tell me if this logic makes sense to anyone else:

If you put the difficulty up to very hard, you get more XP for every kill, yet the if you go very easy you get less XP. So presumably the more skilled you are, the more likely you are to put the difficulty up, but that means you get way more XP and will reach level cap quicker.

To me it makes more sense that the harder the difficult the less XP you get. Its annoying because I want more of a challenge so Im prepared to go to very hard. But if I do that Ill hit lvl 30 in no time at all.

I guess my biggest problem is I used that double XP perk early on, and now I wish I could turn that off.

Grayman

Well it is good to have the reward for hard instead of a grind. Does not make sense for the easy modes though.

Being stuck with 150% xp can't be bad, I am stuck with 7 or 8 charisma because I thought i'd be out making a gang!

Aurora

Grayman said:
So I have been playing this none stop for two days and am wondering where I can safely keep objects, preferably that I can map back to fairly quickly. I've noticed that dead bodies stay almost forever but I do not want to trust telsa or enclave armor to the ground or containers that may or may not eat it. weight is getting to be a bitch with my low strength.
Safest place is in your own home in the locker provided. Apart from that, any locker is relatively safe to put your stuff in, though I have heard of items going missing some of the time. Really seems hit or miss, since in my game I still have bodies of Mercs I killed about 50 hours of playtime ago, and they still have all the equipment I dumped on them.

ChoklitReign said:
You don't. I downloaded BS before completing the game and got an ingame message about 2 minutes into loading up my save saying that Broken Steel had loaded and the level cap had been raised to 30.

ALaz502 said:
Damn, the only thing that I'm doing different is that I don't have the "Swift Learner" perk. I'm well rested, and set on very hard. Getting 68. +30% on that is only 88.

Oh well, maybe one of our games is glitched. Wouldn't surprise me.
Hmm that is strange. Do certain stats increase exp gain, maybe Luck or something?

voltron

Grayman said:
Well it is good to have the reward for hard instead of a grind. Does not make sense for the easy modes though.

Being stuck with 150% xp can't be bad, I am stuck with 7 or 8 charisma because I thought i'd be out making a gang!

yeah I just wish there was an option in setting to flip the XP/difficulty defaults. I want the extra challenge but I dont need the extra XP reward. The challenge is reward enough.

Tobor

voltron said:
Tell me if this logic makes sense to anyone else:

If you put the difficulty up to very hard, you get more XP for every kill, yet the if you go very easy you get less XP. So presumably the more skilled you are, the more likely you are to put the difficulty up, but that means you get way more XP and will reach level cap quicker.

To me it makes more sense that the harder the difficult the less XP you get. Its annoying because I want more of a challenge so Im prepared to go to very hard. But if I do that Ill hit lvl 30 in no time at all.

I guess my biggest problem is I used that double XP perk early on, and now I wish I could turn that off.

No wonder you keep complaining about XP. Why would anyone waste a perk on that?

Grayman

Aurora said:
Safest place is in your own home in the locker provided. Apart from that, any locker is relatively safe to put your stuff in, though I have heard of items going missing some of the time. Really seems hit or miss, since in my game I still have bodies of Mercs I killed about 50 hours of playtime ago, and they still have all the equipment I dumped on them.
my home? i don't have a home

Grayman

oh so i have to do some quest and hope to get one? MT may be a problem because the sheriff got offed.

for ten penny i figure i'd have to solve the population probs. I guess I'll just try to find a random locker somewhere for now, maybe the army tent near the gas stations.

Tobor

Grayman said:
oh so i have to do some quest and hope to get one? MT may be a problem because the sheriff got offed.

for ten penny i figure i'd have to solve the population probs. I guess I'll just try to find a random locker somewhere for now, maybe the army tent near the gas stations.

You either blow up megaton by triggering the bomb, or defuse it. Then you get your home.

The Sheriff being dead doesn't matter.

Grayman

Tobor said:
You either blow up megaton by triggering the bomb, or defuse it. Then you get your home.

The Sheriff being dead doesn't matter.
Thanks. I got the most wonderful surprise in megaton from that. The butler has the name of someone I know.

neoism

Grayman said:
I want to know also, I've been using a metal box in moras house, and its stayed there for 80 hours, I just did the Tenpeny Tower quest but not the a bomb quest, can I put all of my shit in the pent house before it is mine!?????????????

Grayman

If it stayed in your box that long i think it'd stay in another box in ten pennies. Unless the quest wipes the room? I don't know if it would.

Mohonky

Anyone know what they changed with the visuals in the patch before The Pitt? I know they added something like specular lighting (was already on PS3) but there seems to be a pretty big leap in terms of visual quality all round. It seems sharper and more vibrant than I remember it being.

voltron

Mohonky said:
Anyone know what they changed with the visuals in the patch before The Pitt? I know they added something like specular lighting (was already on PS3) but there seems to be a pretty big leap in terms of visual quality all round. It seems sharper and more vibrant than I remember it being.

all in your head.

seriously though I havent read that anywhere. where you hear that?

voltron

Tobor said:
No wonder you keep complaining about XP. Why would anyone waste a perk on that?

Because early on I didnt know how XP waas balanced and I guess I did what I would have done if there was no level cap. Getting double XP felt like it would be good to have, and then I realised how quick that would get me to 20.

Remember Oblivion had no cap. Good ol Oblivion.

Zyzyxxz said:

1.5 ruins most mods, either have to use the fake patch work around I posted, use no mods, or just wait and hope bethesda can fix it

Tobor

voltron said:
Because early on I didnt know how XP waas balanced and I guess I did what I would have done if there was no level cap. Getting double XP felt like it would be good to have, and then I realised how quick that would get me to 20.

Remember Oblivion had no cap. Good ol Oblivion.

You didn't know about the cap? It was mentioned quite a bit around here, and I remember reading previews that talked about it as well.

Since I was aware of the cap, and had never had issues leveling in a Bethesda RPG before, I took one look at that perk and said hell no.

voltron

Tobor said:
You didn't know about the cap? It was mentioned quite a bit around here, and I remember reading previews that talked about it as well.

Since I was aware of the cap, and had never had issues leveling in a Bethesda RPG before, I took one look at that perk and said hell no.

Yeah I fucked up.

I think I did know about the cap, but just made a stupid decision.

voltron

Tobor said:
No worries. There's always Fallout 4. ;)

Its not all that bad anyway. Im at lvl 24 now and Ive played OA, just started the Pitt (for the 2nd time - to get XP from it) and havent started the Broken Steel missions. I seem to have gone back far enough to just give myself enough stuff left to do all 3 DLCs and a decent chunk of wasteland exploring to hit lvl 30.

Truant

What's up with the HDR stuff in this game? Every time I look down and up again, it looks like a nuke going off in the distance. The whole sky just turns white. I could understand it if I went from a dark cave into a bright sunny area, but I'm just looking at the ground for like a second. And the weather is clouded.

Any word on definitive/essential mods? Tried looking through them myself, but there's so many to sift through and Google results yielded nothing.

voltron

FUCK YOU BETHESDA YOU CUNTING FUCKTARDS

Why on why wouldnt you include in the achievement description something like: "Find and carry all 100 ingots at the same time"... you fucking moronic dickfucks.

I find 10- give them to whatshisface - find the other 90. NOTHIN!

Thats twice Ive been ass-raped with that achievement now. For 2 separate issues.

BeeDog

voltron said:
FUCK YOU BETHESDA YOU CUNTING FUCKTARDS

Why on why wouldnt you include in the achievement description something like: "Find and carry all 100 ingots at the same time"... you fucking moronic dickfucks.

Thats twice Ive been ass-raped with that achievement now. For 2 separate issues.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to carry them all at the same time. When I first got to the Steelyard, I found every single ingot before returning to Everett. He took the first 10 as per the quest, and when I immediately "re-talked" to him, I got the option to give the rest as chunks of 10. After you get every unique item from him, the achievement unlocked for me.

voltron said:

That's incorrect. I handed in a single ingot at the end and still got the achievement.

Are you sure you have his final reward?

Like others have mentioned, every time I exit the game the game locks up and I'm forced to end the process manually in task manager. Is this consistent across all PC users with BS?

On another topic, I have completely avoided using energy weapons and focused on small and big weapons. Is this going to be a problem? I noticed that a few of the newer power weapons appear to be energy weapons.

Top Bottom