• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Fallout 3 thread of post-apocalyptic proportions!

Felix Lighter said:
Like others have mentioned, every time I exit the game the game locks up and I'm forced to end the process manually in task manager. Is this consistent across all PC users with BS?

On another topic, I have completely avoided using energy weapons and focused on small and big weapons. Is this going to be a problem? I noticed that a few of the newer power weapons appear to be energy weapons.

I didn't put a single point into energy weapons my first playthrough. It's not a problem at all, but if you put the difficulty on Very Hard some of the good energy weapons like the Gauss Rifle(especially due to the knockdown effect), A3-21's Plasma Rifle, and the Metal Blaster definitely make some of the enemies a bit more managable.

But the fact that you're invested in big guns(plus you should get the Pyromaniac Perk) will help offset that with the new Heavy Incenerator and other new Fire based weapons in Broken Steel.

Felix Lighter said:
Like others have mentioned, every time I exit the game the game locks up and I'm forced to end the process manually in task manager. Is this consistent across all PC users with BS?
I've already posted... but yeah, it is for me.

1stStrike

Banned
I've been playing it on very hard..and I'm half way through lvl 28 about to start the last mission of broken steel. This was my first Beth game though so I put not one..not two...but three points into the boosted xp perk (+30%) so now it's pretty ridiculous how fast I fly through levels.

I was thinking of playing again but...I put about 80 hours into this and I still have to play fallout 2 and fallout 1. I'm going in reverse order...don't ask me why.

Oh and..how the hell do you put 120+ hours into this game? I've done just about everything there is to do and explored all but a couple places.

1stStrike said:
I've been playing it on very hard..and I'm half way through lvl 28 about to start the last mission of broken steel. This was my first Beth game though so I put not one..not two...but three points into the boosted xp perk (+30%) so now it's pretty ridiculous how fast I fly through levels.

I was thinking of playing again but...I put about 80 hours into this and I still have to play fallout 2 and fallout 1. I'm going in reverse order...don't ask me why.

Oh and..how the hell do you put 120+ hours into this game? I've done just about everything there is to do and explored all but a couple places.

If you play Fallout 1 and 2 you absolutely have to play 1 first. They are direct sequels and Fallout 2 references to Fallout 1 quite a bit.

Just a quick question for you, have you beaten the "Oasis" quest?

1stStrike

Banned
ALaz502 said:
If you play Fallout 1 and 2 you absolutely have to play 1 first. They are direct sequels and Fallout 2 references to Fallout 1 quite a bit.

Just a quick question for you, have you beaten the "Oasis" quest?

Hmm...alright, I didn't even know they were sequels. And yes, I did the Oasis quest. I checked the Fallout 3 wiki to see if there's anything I missed but about the only thing I haven't done in the game is collect the alien blaster from the space ship which I'll probably do today.

1stStrike said:
Hmm...alright, I didn't even know they were sequels. And yes, I did the Oasis quest. I checked the Fallout 3 wiki to see if there's anything I missed but about the only thing I haven't done in the game is collect the alien blaster from the space ship which I'll probably do today.

Yes, in fact the main character in FO2 is a direct descendent of the Vault Dweller from FO1.(I don't think that's really a spoiler since it's pretty obvious in the beginning of FO2).

So you're definitely in for a treat. When you play FO1/2, I hope you catch a few of the references that they made in FO3 to those two games.

When you play Fallout 1, just make sure that you get out of the caves. Don't let the rats frustrate you. The first time I played the game I dimissed it due to this one annoying part. Didn't pick it up for another few years and got so hooked on it I played it for 14 hours straight. :)

1stStrike

Banned
ALaz502 said:
Yes, in fact the main character in FO2 is a direct descendent of the Vault Dweller from FO1.(I don't think that's really a spoiler since it's pretty obvious in the beginning of FO2).

So you're definitely in for a treat. When you play FO1/2, I hope you catch a few of the references that they made in FO3 to those two games.

When you play Fallout 1, just make sure that you get out of the caves. Don't let the rats frustrate you. The first time I played the game I dimissed it due to this one annoying part. Didn't pick it up for another few years and got so hooked on it I played it for 14 hours straight. :)

Rats...rats...rats...Everquest 1? AHHHH...nightmares :p

I'll try not to freak out. I read a little bit about it and I'm pretty sure you're not the only one to be put off by the rats in the beginning.

ElyrionX

voltron said:
What. The. Fuck. Has....

happened to my frame rate?!!???

aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh

You know, considering how buggy the game is on 360, I can't imagine what PC users have to face. It really must be a nightmare to play Bethesda games on the PC even though having console commands and user patches does help to alleviate some of the pain.

ElyrionX

Aurora said:
Safest place is in your own home in the locker provided. Apart from that, any locker is relatively safe to put your stuff in, though I have heard of items going missing some of the time. Really seems hit or miss, since in my game I still have bodies of Mercs I killed about 50 hours of playtime ago, and they still have all the equipment I dumped on them.

Uhhh, no. My own fucking locker in my Megaton home ate all my items about 20 hours into the game. It was painful. 360 version here, BTW.

I've read that Nuka Cola machines are safe because they never ever respawn their original items and hence their conditions will not reset to their original state. I've been using the Nuka Cola machine that you can buy for your home to store all of my stuff and so far at 75 hours, I haven't had an issue yet.

ElyrionX said:
Uhhh, no. My own fucking locker in my Megaton home ate all my items about 20 hours into the game. It was painful. 360 version here, BTW.

I've read that Nuka Cola machines are safe because they never ever respawn their original items and hence their conditions will not reset to their original state. I've been using the Nuka Cola machine that you can buy for your home to store all of my stuff and so far at 75 hours, I haven't had an issue yet.

Was it the locker next to the door? I had that one eat all my stuff one time. I had a save that was 2 hours prior to that occurance luckily.

Save before every single quest. It's so unfortuante that this is necessary.

ElyrionX

ALaz502 said:
Was it the locker next to the door? I had that one eat all my stuff one time. I had a save that was 2 hours prior to that occurance luckily.

Save before every single quest. It's so unfortuante that this is necessary.

Yeah, that's the one. I used that one because I read on Fallout wiki that it was the only safe one. So much for that.

Also, when that happened, all of the lockers/containers in my house had reset too. I could tell because some of the lockers that I had emptied previously suddenly had all the original food items magically reappear. So I don't think it would have mattered which locker I had used initially.

Now, as a precaution, all the cool unique items that I actually like, I keep on my character. It's starting to get annoying though because now my default weight is at 148 out of a max 260 which means that I can't carry much loot from dungeons. Oh well, it's not as if I need the caps anyway.

Tobor

ElyrionX said:
Yeah, that's the one. I used that one because I read on Fallout wiki that it was the only safe one. So much for that.

Also, when that happened, all of the lockers/containers in my house had reset too. I could tell because some of the lockers that I had emptied previously suddenly had all the original food items magically reappear. So I don't think it would have mattered which locker I had used initially.

Now, as a precaution, all the cool unique items that I actually like, I keep on my character. It's starting to get annoying though because now my default weight is at 148 out of a max 260 which means that I can't carry much loot from dungeons. Oh well, it's not as if I need the caps anyway.

I've been using that locker religiously for the entire game with no issues. /shrugs

I'm not worried about it, I save like a madman. I'm sure I have multiple gigs worth of saves at this point.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Damn you Bethesda. If the rumor of a 4th DLC is true, I'll buy it. Even then they still aren't at the cap for achievement points, so there could be more...and then there is Fallout: Las Vegas.

Bethesda owns my soul and wallet. :(

I haven't beaten the main game yet and Three Dog is already going on about
the successful project purity and free clean water throughout the wasteland
on the radio.

Felix Lighter said:
I haven't beaten the main game yet and Three Dog is already going on about
the successful project purity and free clean water throughout the wasteland
on the radio.

I don't understand why the programming behind Three Dog is so crappy.

This can't possibly be that hard to program. Doesn't make any damn sense.

GTAIV did such a good job of this kind of thing that it's just inexcusable to be so sloppy about it.

BeeDog

ALaz502 said:
I don't understand why the programming behind Three Dog is so crappy.

This can't possibly be that hard to program. Doesn't make any damn sense.

GTAIV did such a good job of this kind of thing that it's just inexcusable to be so sloppy about it.

It's fucking Bethesda, the game company with the absolutely WORST testers around.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
BeeDog said:
It's fucking Bethesda, the game company with the absolutely WORST testers around.

Sorry, Relic still has a firm grip on that title.

I haven't encountered many bugs in the new DLC yet, even with all of my mods. I wouldn't be surprised if that changes before the end though.

I consider myself very lucky. I've only experienced two bugs with this game since I got it. One was the locker dissappearing thing, and one was the game just randomly freezing once in a great while. So I lucked out with a relatively bug free experience. Those are the only two things that have happend in 140 hours of play time. Heck, I haven't even had any bugs with either of the three DLCs.

Stealth Edit:

Regardless, this dude needs to get fired:

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2008/08/19/inside-the-vault-brian-bloomfield/#more-882

Not really, testing for a game of this scope would be quite difficult, but still...

neoism

voltron said:
FUCK YOU BETHESDA YOU CUNTING FUCKTARDS

Why on why wouldnt you include in the achievement description something like: "Find and carry all 100 ingots at the same time"... you fucking moronic dickfucks.

I find 10- give them to whatshisface - find the other 90. NOTHIN!

Thats twice Ive been ass-raped with that achievement now. For 2 separate issues.
God that's one Achievement I dread getting!

neoism

1stStrike said:

Well, it's really the player, I've just hit 91 hours on one character( the only one I'm doing) and I just finished Tranquility Lane! I haven't touched The Pitt, or BS, I'm level 21 and half, I thing I should put it on very easy again, because I have a lot to do still, I only just used the Adventurer/Explorer perk and I've got about 30 locations left to explore, I also just got that badass 8 shot FAT MAN!

neoism

ICallItFutile said:
Damn you Bethesda. If the rumor of a 4th DLC is true, I'll buy it. Even then they still aren't at the cap for achievement points, so there could be more...and then there is Fallout: Las Vegas.

Bethesda owns my soul and wallet. :(
With all these glitches and fucking stupid bugs, I'm very reluctant to buy more DLC. I probably will, BUT BETHESDA if you come here and read GAF at all. PLEASE included another level cap. AT LEAST level 35, I'm bound to get to 30 before I beat BS, sooo please with sugar on top!!!!!

1stStrike

Banned
neoism said:
Well, it's really the player, I've just hit 91 hours on one character( the only one I'm doing) and I just finished Tranquility Lane! I haven't touched The Pitt, or BS, I'm level 21 and half, I thing I should put it on very easy again, because I have a lot to do still, I only just used the Adventurer/Explorer perk and I've got about 30 locations left to explore, I also just got that badass 8 shot FAT MAN!

Hmm yea I guess. I mean, there's a lot you can do just exploring. I suppose I could've spent more time hunting down items to craft some of those weapons I got schematics for but I really hate collection quests...blame it on years of wasting my life in MMO's. I much prefer single player rpg's that after 50 - 100 hours or so I know have an ending and I can move on with my life lol.

I was thinking about starting up a new character and making him evil (I REALLY wanted to blow the atomic bomb in Megaton but resisted) but that would consume more time than I think I'm willing to put in. I might save something like that for this coming fall..give myself a break and come back to the game. I'm gonna be over in South Korea for a year so I imagine I'll need some games to keep me busy when I'm stuck on base.

1stStrike said:
Hmm yea I guess. I mean, there's a lot you can do just exploring. I suppose I could've spent more time hunting down items to craft some of those weapons I got schematics for but I really hate collection quests...blame it on years of wasting my life in MMO's. I much prefer single player rpg's that after 50 - 100 hours or so I know have an ending and I can move on with my life lol.

Also, another thing that can factor into all of this is the use of Fast Travel.

I don't use it that often, so that will automatically inflate my play time heavily.

1stStrike said:
I was thinking about starting up a new character and making him evil (I REALLY wanted to blow the atomic bomb in Megaton but resisted) but that would consume more time than I think I'm willing to put in. I might save something like that for this coming fall..give myself a break and come back to the game. I'm gonna be over in South Korea for a year so I imagine I'll need some games to keep me busy when I'm stuck on base.

This. This is one of those games that you can definitely come back to and completely replay and still have a damn good time.

voltron

Psychotext said:
That's incorrect. I handed in a single ingot at the end and still got the achievement.

Are you sure you have his final reward?

Hmmm

Well its doing that glitch where the dude that I have to give them to wont respond to me.

And I read on some random site that you have to have them all on you, so I thought that was the problem. The reason I didnt get the achievement must be the glitch then.

1stStrike

Banned
ALaz502 said:
Also, another thing that can factor into all of this is the use of Fast Travel.

I don't use it that often, so that will automatically inflate my play time heavily.

This. This is one of those games that you can definitely come back to and completely replay and still have a damn good time.

Ah see, I use fast travel a lot. I'm definitely impatient..and the stupid AI partner (Sorry Charon, I like you in your enclave hellfire suit of armor and all) but they really needed better control options for them..some hotkeys or something. I've had to tell them to wait in a spot on more occasions than I would've liked.

Oh and, random thought but..does anyone else get a Killzone vibe from the enclave hellfire armor? I realize Fallout has been out a lot longer than Killzone and the armor doesn't really look the same..but the first time I saw the enclave hellfire armor I was just like.."whoa, where did that helghast come...from...oh, enclave." I might just be crazy though so feel free to label me as such :p

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I love Fallout 3, but Bethesda seriously needs to work on testing their games better before release. I've had an AI partner become invisible without a stealth boy, another one run off on it's own to die, an AI in town disappear, gotten stuck between spots unable to move, parts of the environment disappear with a change in camera angle, horrendous clipping and enemies flail around unnaturally.

I'm probably forgetting some other glitches too.

1stStrike

Banned
ICallItFutile said:
I love Fallout 3, but Bethesda seriously needs to work on testing their games better before release. I've had an AI partner become invisible without a stealth boy, another one run off on it's own to die, an AI in town disappear, gotten stuck between spots unable to move, parts of the environment disappear with a change in camera angle, horrendous clipping and enemies flail around unnaturally.

Oh yea..my scariest moment in the game was when I killed a raider and the dead body started flailing around like crazy in the air. I thought it was actually part of the game at first and was pretty freaked out till I realized it was a bug. I also had to reload a save further back (thank god i had saved recently) after I exited a house and found myself standing on top of Charon unable to move. I killed him and was still stuck in midair lol.

DestinRL

ICallItFutile said:

I think it's just hard to test a game of this size so we get crazy stuff that happens. I killed 2 robots once and their geometry stretched all over the map. I just laughed at it.

Atrus

Gold Member
ICallItFutile said:

With a Bethesda RPG, you're lucky if the game doesn't have a critical game progression bug that stops you from finishing it.

Hell, I'm still waiting for the PS3 patch to be initialized for the newer versions of the game that's currently on shelves.

Hootie

I just wish Bethesda would fix the fuckin' problem I'm having with Fawkes (and all other followers, to a lesser extent). If I jump over a rock, the suddenly run in the opposite direction for miles and I never see 'em again. Sometimes they'll do it even if I go up on a raised sidewalk, it's ridiculous. It's actually a chore having Fawkes as a companion, ESPECIALLY in buildings that have stairs. I literally have to turn around and make sure he/she/it is still there every 15 seconds.

Hootie said:
It's actually a chore having Fawkes as a companion, ESPECIALLY in buildings that have stairs. I literally have to turn around and make sure he/she/it is still there every 15 seconds.
Not to mention that after he's disappeared for a while and you've forgotten about him he'll suddenly come running at you prompting you to shoot the scary super mutant in the face. :lol

Grayman

I lost fawkes for a long time, at least it comes back when you make the game load.

xbhaskarx said:
WTF you didn't have a home 6 hours ago...
I did most of the main quest without a house! I know I missed out on a lot finishing the game in only 20 hours, I blame the quest log and directions.

ICallItFutile said:

Today some asshole in the brotherhood sent my level 2 in a vault suit into a building to save his pal then got deleted or something leaving his nameless non conversive partner outside, i ran all over looking for him or his body and he was not there.

Ironically I loaded up this thread of recent bitching because the game crashed :(

I finished Broken Steel yesterday. Good stuff.
It isn’t too hard to get to level 30 though. I’m halfway through 29, and about 4 exp levels were completed just by exploring.
My only issue is that the new perks are fairly crap.

And :lol at 'What the f** Feral Ghoul Reavers jesus goddam'.

The first time I fought one I'm thinking 'WTF? Why has this goul taken twelve headshots?!"
"Oh, right..."

JordoftheDead said:
I finished Broken Steel yesterday. Good stuff.
It isn’t too hard to get to level 30 though. I’m halfway through 29, and about 4 exp levels were completed just by exploring.

For reals? :lol

Wasn't some dev talking about how it would take an inhuman amount of time to reach 30? Like four times the work to get to 20 or something?

ElyrionX

Tobor said:
I've been using that locker religiously for the entire game with no issues. /shrugs

I'm not worried about it, I save like a madman. I'm sure I have multiple gigs worth of saves at this point.

I make a lot of saves too but the point is my saves usually are one or two hours in between. By the time I discover the missing items, my last save could be a while back. I don't want to waste one or two hours replaying stuff that I already did just because the game glitched on me. Time is scarce enough as it is already, I don't wish to spend more time doing something I already did.

AndersTheSwede said:
For reals? :lol

Wasn't some dev talking about how it would take an inhuman amount of time to reach 30? Like four times the work to get to 20 or something?

Yeah, for real sadly...
I went bobble-head exploring (found 10), completed the Broken Steel DLC, 'The Superhuman Gambit' quest, and half of the quest 'Those!'.
That was enough to get me from level 20 to level 29.

You find that after level 20 you kill so many high-level enemies through exploring and missions you fly through the exp.

Now I really hope they announce more DLC. :/

ElyrionX said:

That's really shitty.
I store everything in the filing cabinet in the Megaton bedroom and have never lost anything. I think my head would explode with rage if it ate my items.

You bastards. Now you've made me nervous.

I just noticed they fixed the Mister Sandman glitch where you can kill kids and get experience but not really kill them. I didn't want to spend too long getting my evil character up to level 30.

ElyrionX

JordoftheDead said:
That's really shitty.
I store everything in the filing cabinet in the Megaton bedroom and have never lost anything. I think my head would explode with rage if it ate my items.

You bastards. Now you've made me nervous.

Use the Nuka Cola machine that you can buy. It's the safest.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jamesfrom818 said:
I just noticed they fixed the Mister Sandman glitch where you can kill kids and get experience but not really kill them. I didn't want to spend too long getting my evil character up to level 30.

The ultimate experience glitch involves Protector Casdin(at fort independence) and giving him scrap metal. After you gain the outcast's trust, give him a bunch of scrap metal(you need a base amount that's even). Then steal it all back, and give him all the scrap metal again EXCEPT for 2 pieces, then steal it back. Afterwards, steal his gun or the alien blaster if you gave it to him and he should catch you, if not then reload. When he catches you it says he took back the metal, but it'll say it twice.

For example, say I give him 20, steal it, give 18, steal it, get caught. It'll say he took back 20 pieces, then 18 pieces. This means you have a negative amount, and it will show as if you have none, when in actuality it's infinite. Then you can go to megaton and keep giving Walter scrap metal for infinite experience and caps.

I love Broken Steel, the ability to play post-ending is awesome. I missed soooo much during my first play through even after 37 hours.... totally worth my 800 spacebucks

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
Papercuts said:
The ultimate experience glitch involves Protector Casdin(at fort independence) and giving him scrap metal. After you gain the outcast's trust, give him a bunch of scrap metal(you need a base amount that's even). Then steal it all back, and give him all the scrap metal again EXCEPT for 2 pieces, then steal it back. Afterwards, steal his gun or the alien blaster if you gave it to him and he should catch you, if not then reload. When he catches you it says he took back the metal, but it'll say it twice.

For example, say I give him 20, steal it, give 18, steal it, get caught. It'll say he took back 20 pieces, then 18 pieces. This means you have a negative amount, and it will show as if you have none, when in actuality it's infinite. Then you can go to megaton and keep giving Walter scrap metal for infinite experience and caps.
:O I didn't know that

Top Bottom