• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Fallout 3 thread of post-apocalyptic proportions!

paparazzo

luxarific said:
I'm assuming you know, but if not, the DLC is only for 360. (I agree that it sucks.)
Oh, I've known about the DLC fiasco since they announced it at E3, which is strange considering they released the expansions for Oblivion on PS3. I don't have a gaming PC or 360 so I think I'll live without the "real ending." I never finished Oblivion anyway so it doesn't bother me too much.

I'm 90 hours in, bought all 3 DLC packs($ 90 total spent on game) and am enjoying it alot. after 90 hours I don't want it to end. the game is just so awesome, and unlike others I've enjoyed the other DLC and my new armor!!! power armor? get that shit away from me!

ElyrionX

Just finished Operation Anchorage. I can't believe this thing cost 800 points. It was over so quickly. No wonder it reviewed so badly. Thank god for the awesome stuff you get at the end of it.

voltron

Hey did I hear somewhere that you can get another mission off Moira at Craterside Supply now with the new content?

I went to see her but she had nothing new. Do I have to beat Broken Steel first?

ElyrionX said:
Just finished Operation Anchorage. I can't believe this thing cost 800 points. It was over so quickly. No wonder it reviewed so badly. Thank god for the awesome stuff you get at the end of it.

Both previous contents should have been 400 MS Points. No wonder MS likes DLC exclusivity, its easier to rape people with funny money.

Ledsen

teh_pwn said:
I got from lvl 26 to 29 by grinding at Farifax ruins, *edit: Thomas Jefferson Memorial, Bethesda Ruins, and other raider and enclave hot spots. Also try wandering into large buildings that weren't part of a quest and kill everything, unlock/hack everything. Builds up experience pretty quick.

Turn up the difficulty to very hard to get a lot more experience. Although I cheat by reducing the difficulty if a Deathclaw, Albino (sp?) Scorpion, or Mutant Overlord pops up. These guys are rape on very hard. I think I'm missing a fundamental strategy to knock these guys out.

For level 29 I plan on murdering every citizen of every town to get the evil achievement, and then start over and grind...unless that good/neutral perk works at level 30.

Edit: It's too fun to be evil in this game. I just killed everyone in Tenpenny tower, and I guess I didn't do that quest with my current character so it popped and and said report to the ghouls. So I did and they thanked me, and as they turned their backs and started walking towards the tower, I mowed them down with some electric Chinese sword from the Alaska DLC.

All you need is the Dart Gun, shoot them in the legs.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
dunno if it has been answered in here before, but is there a way of acquiring the Energy Weapons Bobblehead in Broken Steel?

Jswanko

OnkelC said:
dunno if it has been answered in here before, but is there a way of acquiring the Energy Weapons Bobblehead in Broken Steel?

Is that the Raven Rock one? I haven't played much BS but Raven Rock was destroyed when i went there.

ElyrionX said:

How long are the previous contents and secondly, if I have been doing Quests after level 20, does the experience points apply toward the level 30 or you start from nill toward level 21 ?

ElyrionX

Unregistered007 said:
How long are the previous contents and secondly, if I have been doing Quests after level 20, does the experience points apply toward the level 30 or you start from nill toward level 21 ?

OA is about 2 to 3 hours long.

If you've been doing stuff after Level 20, you won't get those exp after you download BS. The game still treats it as if you've just hit Level 20 when you load Broken Steel.

Tobor

ElyrionX said:

If you've been doing stuff after Level 20, you won't get those exp after you download BS. The game still treats it as if you've just hit Level 20 when you load Broken Steel.

2 hours would be a fucking speed run. For us normal people, OA is 5 hours. The Pitt was closer to 10.

voltron

ElyrionX said:

Thank god.

USD

I love playing this game in stealth. Granted, you can't pull it off at full effectiveness until level 12 (Silent Running). Once you do reach it though, stealth is amazing. Sneak attacks are obscenely powerful; a single blast from the combat shotgun is capable of taking down everything from Giant Radscorpions to Deathclaws. Fewer shots fired means more ammo and less weapon degradation. You have to be more sneaky than in Oblivion, staying out of the line of sight of everything but the target, but it's also a lot more satisfying.

I wish I would have jacked my intelligence even higher from the start. My biggest mistake though was not taking the Comprehension perk, or more specifically, not stockpiling the books until I got the perk.

ElyrionX

Tobor said:
2 hours would be a fucking speed run. For us normal people, OA is 5 hours. The Pitt was closer to 10.

I wasn't doing a speedrun. I did it my usual way and I explored every nook and cranny there was to explore in the new areas and talked to everyone I could talk to. When I said 2 to 3 hours, I actually meant the actual Operation Anchorage itself. If you include the stuff before and after, it's another hour. So that's 3 to 4 hours. Maybe 4 hours max but that's still way too little content for 800 points.

The weapons you get at the end of it are awesome though. The Gauss Rifle is so fun to use and the Chinese Stealth Armour is game-breaking awesome. The Jingwei Sword is just icing on the cake.

ElyrionX

USD said:
I love playing this game in stealth. Granted, you can't pull it off at full effectiveness until level 12 (Silent Running). Once you do reach it though, stealth is amazing. Sneak attacks are obscenely powerful; a single blast from the combat shotgun is capable of taking down everything from Giant Radscorpions to Deathclaws. Fewer shots fired means more ammo and less weapon degradation. You have to be more sneaky than in Oblivion, staying out of the line of sight of everything but the target, but it's also a lot more satisfying.

I wish I would have jacked my intelligence even higher from the start. My biggest mistake though was not taking the Comprehension perk, or more specifically, not stockpiling the books until I got the perk.

No worries. With Broken Steel, you will end up with a shitload of skill points and most of your skills would be maxed by the end of it.

voltron

ElyrionX said:
I wasn't doing a speedrun. I did it my usual way and I explored every nook and cranny there was to explore in the new areas and talked to everyone I could talk to. When I said 2 to 3 hours, I actually meant the actual Operation Anchorage itself. If you include the stuff before and after, it's another hour. So that's 3 to 4 hours. Maybe 4 hours max but that's still way too little content for 800 points.

The weapons you get at the end of it are awesome though. The Gauss Rifle is so fun to use and the Chinese Stealth Armour is game-breaking awesome. The Jingwei Sword is just icing on the cake.

Did you find all 100 Ingots? Explore the entire area including the supply area? The abandoned apartment building?

(Not being a dick- Im really curious)

ElyrionX said:
So that's 3 to 4 hours. Maybe 4 hours max but that's still way too little content for 800 points.
Not sure I really agree with this. There's quite a few full games this gen that cost 5x that yet only weigh in at a couple more hours of content.

voltron

Psychotext said:
Not sure I really agree with this. There's quite a few full games this gen that cost 5x that yet only weigh in at a couple more hours of content.

800pts = $10?

So $10 for 4hrs is "no where near enough".

Yet, $60 for 10hrs is presumably enough.

Im sick of this crap.

ElyrionX

voltron said:
Did you find all 100 Ingots? Explore the entire area including the supply area? The abandoned apartment building?

(Not being a dick- Im really curious)

I was talking about Operationg Anchorage. Not the Pitt. But I did indeed find all intel briefcases in OA.

voltron

ElyrionX said:
I was talking about Operationg Anchorage. Not the Pitt. But I did indeed find all intel briefcases in OA.

Yeah that was easy.

But did you do all i said in the Pitt? thats where I found it enjoyable, because there was surprisingly a lot of exploring which to me is what Fallout is about.

ElyrionX

voltron said:
800pts = $10?

Im sick of this crap.

It's not so much the length of the experience but the quality of the experience isn't it? COD4's SP campaign lasted from 8 to 12 hours and even if there wasn't any MP mode, I would still have paid full price for it.

OA's length was four hours max and it was just a bad shooter through and through. It's supposed to be an epic historical battle but all you get are huge spaces with barely anything to fill them up. A good example of this would be the Chimera Tank compound which was horrible. It was just a big empty open space and taking down tanks with 7 to 10 shots from a sniper rifle was extremely lame.

ElyrionX

voltron said:
Yeah that was easy.

But did you do all i said in the Pitt? thats where I found it enjoyable, because there was surprisingly a lot of exploring which to me is what Fallout is about.

Nah, I haven't played the Pitt yet. I'm going to finish up some other quests in the main game before deciding if I want to go for the Pitt. I might end up going for it in the end, if only to obtain the Perforator.

Aurora

I've finally beaten all sidequests and the main questline. Now it's time to dip into Broken Steel. Can't wait!

I love this game.

ElyrionX said:
OA's length was four hours max and it was just a bad shooter through and through.
Yeah, Op Anchorage was awful... in that case it's certainly the quality rather than the length which makes it a bad buy.

I quite enjoyed The Pitt, and Broken Steel.

painey

voltron said:
800pts = $10?

Im sick of this crap.

Once you've beaten that 10 hour $60 you can sell it, or trade it in. Once you've beaten a 4 hour DLC it just sits there on your hard drive, unused.

painey said:
Once you've beaten that 10 hour $60 you can sell it, or trade it in. Once you've beaten a 4 hour DLC it just sits there on your hard drive, unused.
So it's likely 10 hours for $30. Still comparable.

1stStrike

Banned
I actually managed to find all the steel ingots the first time through without a guide...*pats himself on the back* I blame years of playing RPG's for making me gather shit for repetitive and redundant quests :p

I played anchorage the day before and I did the pitt last night. I'm looking at doing the quest where you return to vault 101 for the power hungry overseer atm and then I'll be doing a bit of broken steel. I still have several places I haven't explored yet so I'll knock those out too. Kudos to bethesda for the giant robot tearing shit up at the end of the game too. Liberty Prime is fucking awesome :p

All in all...I've had a lot of fun with this game. A lot more than I thought I would. I was reaaaaally lost when I was first dumped in the wasteland but after some trial and error I figured it out.

Oh and as for bugs...well, it actually runs smoothly for me pretty much all around, however it does tend to randomly freeze and then I have to close the game and restart it. I've gotten pretty anal about quicksaving constantly so I don't lose too much progress.

I heart the enclave hellfire power armor as well..it goes great with all my lovely flame weapons.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I think I'll get The Pitt and Broken Steel, activate the raise cap and then to The Pitt first and then Broken Steel, it's a nice way to get to the desire level 30 right?

1stStrike

Banned
Doing all of the pitt got me about 2 levels. Don't expect to hit lvl 30 just off that. I was doing a bunch of quests after I hit lvl 20 so I probably lost at least 5k xp out of ignorance.

Darklord

Banned
voltron said:
800pts = $10?

Im sick of this crap.

After the $500 7.1 speakers, $2000 50" HDTV 1080p HDMI TV, $300 console and $60 game you expect people to fork out $10? Makes me sick!

Gowans

I've just started to get into Fallout 3, at level 6 now and trying to get a satellite dish before getting destroyed.

Its awesome

ICallItFutile said:
Where the hell did Clover go then? Is she in the room where you wake up?

Hmm, I've only tried it using Sara Lyons, myself, or Charon, didn't even think of using a "human" companion. When I used Charon, or myself, he always ended up back at his starting spot in the Underworld, so try the Paradise Falls probably.

WHOALY SHIT.

I ran into a fucking Mutant Overlord at the Museum Of Technology. That shit was fucking epic. I rocked him down with my one Bottlecap Mine and then spread every last Frag Mine I had (14) in his path and it STILL took me like ten minutes of back and forth with nearly all my Stimpaks to finally kill him.

Jesus.

I'M ONLY LEVEL 15, FALLOUT. HAVE MERCY.

BenjaminBirdie said:
WHOALY SHIT.

I ran into a fucking Mutant Overlord at the Museum Of Technology. That shit was fucking epic. I rocked him down with my one Bottlecap Mine and then spread every last Frag Mine I had (14) in his path and it STILL took me like ten minutes of back and forth with nearly all my Stimpaks to finally kill him.

Jesus.

I'M ONLY LEVEL 15, FALLOUT. HAVE MERCY.

I had a mini-nuke launcher, made pretty quick work out of him.

Fafnir

ICallItFutile said:
Where the hell did Clover go then? Is she in the room where you wake up?

Clover heads back to Paradise Falls, usually takes awhile, but you should get a message when she arrives back there.

Hootie

Damn, I hadn't touched Fallout since January but now I'm completely addicted again. :lol

I haven't downloaded any DLC yet, any suggestions?

Hootie said:
Damn, I hadn't touched Fallout since January but now I'm completely addicted again. :lol

I haven't downloaded any DLC yet, any suggestions?

Get Broken Steel First to raise the cap.

Complete OA which isn't too good, but has fantastic gear(+MEGA AMMO GLITCH if you want to use it). The Chinese Stealth Suit + Jingwei's Shocksword FTMFW!!!!!!

Complete The Pitt and get all ingots for some more awesome gear(I <3 the Mauler).

Beat the game.

Psychotext said:
Since doing The Pitt my fave wep has become the Metal Blaster.

A yes, the "Laser Shotgun." I like it too. I'm actually surprised at how much I've been liking the energy weapons as a whole.

My fave (even though it's technically a Big Gun) is Vengence. That thing is SO brutal.

Aurora

Paralyzing Palm is such a broken perk. I soloed all the Behemoths with my bare fists without taking any damage. Fun though.

I'm also leveling up at a stupidly high rate. In 2 quests I went from being level 20 to now just shy of level 26. I'm getting 108 exp per enemy so it's not surprising.

Aurora said:
Paralyzing Palm is such a broken perk. I soloed all the Behemoths with my bare fists without taking any damage. Fun though.

I'm also leveling up at a stupidly high rate. In 2 quests I went from being level 20 to now just shy of level 26. I'm getting 108 exp per enemy so it's not surprising.

Okay, question, which two quests? and HOW are you getting 108 XP per enemy? Even when I'm well rested I only get about 68 XP off the highest level enemies like deathclaws/albino scorpion/etc.

Top Bottom