• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Fallout 3 thread of post-apocalyptic proportions!

AkuMifune

Banned
I was not prepared for those new ghouls! :lol I had put it on very hard for the extra XP and was having an easy time of it until that part, then proceeded to go through 30 stimpacks while running around like mad trying to pick them off. Good times.

Oh and I got totally surprised and owned by an albino scorpion out in the wastes too. ugly fuckers.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
A lot of the new enemies are tough as hell. The new super mutants, radscorpions, and ghouls all have insane amounts of health.

Fuuuuuuck. i was trying to get my new character that i played the last two DLC's with through the story to get to broken steel but i i think there is a bug during the paradise quest where you rescue the kids. I try to meet them outside but when i get a certain distance from them they phase out of the game then back in only one or two of them are missing randomly. All that remains is a still of the model that i cant interact with and cant walk through.

Anyone hear of this problem?

Can i get into lamplight without helping them?

Gamer @ Heart said:
Fuuuuuuck. i was trying to get my new character that i played the last two DLC's with through the story to get to broken steel but i i think there is a bug during the paradise quest where you rescue the kids. I try to meet them outside but when i get a certain distance from them they phase out of the game then back in only one or two of them are missing randomly. All that remains is a still of the model that i cant interact with and cant walk through.

Anyone hear of this problem?

Can i get into lamplight without helping them?

There's a really hard speech challenge.

mattso

ahh I love this game.

I haven't even touched the broken steel stuff. Supposed to head to little lamplight now to continue with the story but with the level cap raised I have this sense of freedom.. even though I'm level 17 I feel no rush to do anything but explore and enjoy the wasteland.

voltron

Papercuts said:
A lot of the new enemies are tough as hell. The new super mutants, radscorpions, and ghouls all have insane amounts of health.

Can I find those in the Wasteland? Or do I have to go to the Broken Steel content?

Tobor

Papercuts said:

I ran into one of these earlier. It took a lot of firepower to drop that son of a bitch. I love these new enemies, it really brings back that sense of danger I felt when I first started the game.

And yes, they spawn out in the world once you load Broken Steel, I believe your character needs to be level 18 before they appear.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Mooreberg said:
How the hell do I get to "utility" area near the White House? Above ground or using the sewers just leads to some irradiated rubble pile with a Paladin just to the right of it.

lol took me forever too.

Theres a manhole, on the ground next to the Paladin

Found another small change from the Broken Steel DLC:

In Seward Sqaure near the Capitol Building there is now a little Talon Company encampment, with a holo-note mentioning that the purifier has been turned on and that they are planning to try and get the clean water. The note actually says its #1, so when i play later I'm going to see if there is more to find and maybe a hidden mission.

voltron

Charmicarmicat said:
Found another small change from the Broken Steel DLC:

In Seward Sqaure near the Capitol Building there is now a little Talon Company encampment, with a holo-note mentioning that the purifier has been turned on and that they are planning to try and get the clean water. The note actually says its #1, so when i play later I'm going to see if there is more to find and maybe a hidden mission.

Nice.

Gonna keep my eyes open for stuff like that too.

voltron

lol

I was really stressing at the start of this week thinking I might not make lvl 30, and I couldnt decide how far to back (which save to load). I ended up loading a save around 50hrs earlier than where I was.

Anyway the point is that I forgot I had the perk which doubles your XP from kills etc. Im not at lvl 23 and sailing along towards 24.

I call bullshit on Bethesdas claim that "each level will require exponential amount of XP to proceed"... err, no. Sure its longer between levels. But not exponentially longer.

I have one question about Broken Steel.

Is there a an additional new ending after completing the new Broken Steel missions as well which reflects everything with a new narration by Ron Pearlman?

mattso said:
ahh I love this game.

I haven't even touched the broken steel stuff. Supposed to head to little lamplight now to continue with the story but with the level cap raised I have this sense of freedom.. even though I'm level 17 I feel no rush to do anything but explore and enjoy the wasteland.

Same here. I'd been waiting for this.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So what's the verdict on DLC so far - is this about right?

- Broken Steel seems essential and I should start by getting it first
- Pitt is good as well
- Anchorage not so much

voltron

Chittagong said:
So what's the verdict on DLC so far - is this about right?

- Broken Steel seems essential and I should start by getting it first
- Pitt is good as well
- Anchorage not so much

Are you asking what to get?

I would go:

Anchorage first for the weapons you get at the end (+ nice XP boost with the cap raised)

Then get Pitt because its a fun little DLC with exploring (which I like)

Then Broken Steel.

Just buy them all at once and treat them as quests in your quest screen.

Chittagong

Gold Member
voltron said:
Are you asking what to get?

I would go:

Anchorage first for the weapons you get at the end (+ nice XP boost with the cap raised)

Then get Pitt because its a fun little DLC with exploring (which I like)

Then Broken Steel.

Just buy them all at once and treat them as quests in your quest screen.

Hmm interesting. I'm now Level 19 without DLC and haven't played a whole lot, so I suppose I better get Broken Steel at the same time to raise the level cap, otherwise I'll waste XP. Or does Anchorage raise the cap too?

Merguson

Banned
Chittagong said:
Hmm interesting. I'm now Level 19 without DLC and haven't played a whole lot, so I suppose I better get Broken Steel at the same time to raise the level cap, otherwise I'll waste XP. Or does Anchorage raise the cap too?

No, Broken Steel is the only DLC that raises the cap level.

Since hearing about the details of Broken Steel and Almost Perfect perk, I restarted the game, glitched to level 20, and basically I am now at level 21, close to level 22, trying to finish the wasteland survival guide and the two dlcs before finishing off the main story before Broken Steel.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Is it confirmed till what level you can get with BS only, being level 20?

Merguson

Banned
dgenx said:
Is it confirmed till what level you can get with BS only, being level 20?

Can't be too certain, but one of my friends, he was at level 19, and then after Broken Steel, he was 24. May have been close to 20 I think.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Merguson said:
No, Broken Steel is the only DLC that raises the cap level.

Since hearing about the details of Broken Steel and Almost Perfect perk, I restarted the game, glitched to level 20, and basically I am now at level 21, close to level 22, trying to finish the wasteland survival guide and the two dlcs before finishing off the main story before Broken Steel.

Yeah, did that yesterday too.
only worth 100XP :-(

Dyno

Started Broken Steel last night and the game got crashy. It bricked twice in as many hours. Wasn't like that before.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Merguson said:
Can't be too certain, but one of my friends, he was at level 19, and then after Broken Steel, he was 24. May have been close to 20 I think.

That sounds about right. I was 20 and after broken steel I'm 24. BS is 3 quests. The first 2 are pretty easy and the last one can actually get difficult but it's really fun.

About the end.
I thought it was stupid how you had the choice do destroy the citadel, rivet city, the enclave mobile base thingy, etc. I mean why didnt the enclave already destroy the citadel if they had that power on the mobile fortress? Bethesda sucks at story telling, compared to Bioware at least. Anyway the game is still fucking awesome.

You know I've passed BS and I still have not seen any of the new super mutants. Where the hell are they? I've gone to several places on the map and I havnt ran into any of them. It's going to take me forever to get to level 30, there's just not enough enemies. The tesla cannon is gangster though.

As for which order to buy the DLC. I'd get BS first so you can raise your level cap and then do the pitt and OA. You can get a lot of xp in the pitt. Actually I might go back there and fight the
trogs they were prolly the toughest enemies so far

My gauss rifle is not glitched though, I still get it repaired and it works fine. The power suit from OA does not degrade but now I use the hellfire armor because it looks cooler imo.

I wish I had gotten the chinese stealth suit but oh well I dont like to play stealth. I'm armed to the teeth and I got Fawkes too.

-I went to sleep at 4am playing this shit. after 120 hours it's still addictive as hell. thank god for monster java

ChrisGoldstein said:
That sounds about right. I was 20 and after broken steel I'm 24. BS is 3 quests. The first 2 are pretty easy and the last one can actually get difficult but it's really fun.

About the end.
I thought it was stupid how you had the choice do destroy the citadel, rivet city, the enclave mobile base thingy, etc. I mean why didnt the enclave already destroy the citadel if they had that power on the mobile fortress? Bethesda sucks at story telling, compared to Bioware at least. Anyway the game is still fucking awesome.

You know I've passed BS and I still have not seen any of the new super mutants. Where the hell are they? I've gone to several places on the map and I havnt ran into any of them. It's going to take me forever to get to level 30, there's just not enough enemies. The tesla cannon is gangster though.

As for which order to buy the DLC. I'd get BS first so you can raise your level cap and then do the pitt and OA. You can get a lot of xp in the pitt. Actually I might go back there and fight the
trogs they were prolly the toughest enemies so far

My gauss rifle is not glitched though, I still get it repaired and it works fine. The power suit from OA does not degrade but now I use the hellfire armor because it looks cooler imo.

I wish I had gotten the chinese stealth suit but oh well I dont like to play stealth. I'm armed to the teeth and I got Fawkes too.

-I went to sleep at 4am playing this shit. after 120 hours it's still addictive as hell. thank god for monster java

So is there a new Ron Pearlman narration after you beat Broken Steel?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
ALaz502 said:
So is there a new Ron Pearlman narration after you beat Broken Steel?

lol to answer your question no.

You can keep on playing though, kind of like oblivion or fable 2. No more hellboy dude dialogue

Crap! I bought Broken Steel and the other two. Loaded up right before the end, and during the final fights right outside the last room it tells me the dlc has loaded up. So I go into the final room, and now I have different choices. I tell someone else to do it and it gives me the normal ending and I go back to the main menu. Do it again, this time I go in and it does the same thing. WTF.

So I ran into those ghoul reavers. Thank God for Chinese Stealth Suit + Pyro + Shish. I wish I had brought a Deathclaw or the Man Opener with me though. Those probably would have torn through them easily.

I'm going to mention my dilemma again on this new page: I have Broken Steel, it tells me I have it when I load during the last couple rooms of the game and I get new choices but I don't continue! It just gives me the Ron Perlman ending and I go back to the main menu!

chinese stealth suit and the terrible shotgun = so good.

my save has a slight glitch though. i convinced Moira to stop writing her book while I still had the mole rat repellant, and now I can't get rid of it. Can't sell it or anything. small issue, but still annoying.

i even had it with me in OA and that other simulation.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
This game has gripped me very tightly in the short time I've played it. I just started a week or two ago, I'm level 14 or 15 and probably not too far along the main quest
just found dad
, should I go ahead and buy the DLC(s) now or wait until I've finished the main quest?

robut said:
I'm going to mention my dilemma again on this new page: I have Broken Steel, it tells me I have it when I load during the last couple rooms of the game and I get new choices but I don't continue! It just gives me the Ron Perlman ending and I go back to the main menu!

I had the same problem until I let Lyons die turning on the purifier, then Broken Steel starts after the end narration.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I didn't think the ghoul revers were that hard. Maybe it was cos I found a government ID badge in one of the trains so Margot commanded the sentry robots to assist me in killing them.

Man cutter does work good on them

I've finished Fallout3, but I haven't played any of the DLC yet. I hit level 20 before completing the game, iirc. Is there a recommended order for tackling the DLC? Anything I should know before I start downloading the three different parts?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Dude first I'd get broken steel to raise your level cap, so the xp you earn is not wasted. Then I would not do the BS missions (at least not the third one since it's the hardest).

Then download OA so you can get the best armor, the gauss rifle...kinda like a sniper gun, and the chinese stealth suit. That way you can have better weapons for the pitt which is harder than anchorage imo. anchorage is just like a vr simulation so you cant take your loot at all...at least in the pitt you get your loot back before you finish the mission off which is the hardest part.

Sucks for me since I got OA and the pitt before the level cap was raised so all that fucking xp went to waste. Now I'm like level 24 or 25 and it will take me forever to get to 30 and get the achievement =(

If you have a follower you cannot take them to the pitt or use them in OA. They can follow you in BS though.

I've put 120 hours into this mug. I'm about to up the difficulty from hard to very hard but I have a feeling the enemies are scaling to my level after the BS dlc. Anyway game is awesome but I'm still pissed I havnt seen any new super mutants since I bought BS on tuesday.

Maybe it's cos I havnt been journeying that much in the wasteland, idk

X26

Banned
Beat it yesterday, extremely short and not very interesting imo, the aqua pura sidequests I actually found more fun. Not much in the way of new items and most of them are just reskinned or renamed verisons of existing ones, although the incinerator and the tesla cannon are fun to use

AndresON777

shooting blanks
X26 said:
Beat it yesterday, extremely short and not very interesting imo, the aqua pura sidequests I actually found more fun. Not much in the way of new items and most of them are just reskinned or renamed verisons of existing ones, although the incinerator and the tesla cannon are fun to use

It was too short but what pisses me off is the order in which they released the dlc packs. Obviously BS should've been released first followed by the other 2. I guess they figured less people would buy OA and the pitt once you got the level cap raised to 30 since you could just start new characters and make the game new again.

I wish the skill points would be higher than 100 too. My dude is maxed out already at level 24/25 (I forget) in the areas that he needs to be skilled in for the way I play. Still quite possibly my favorite game this gen, surpassing Mass Effect.

I still want more dlc. I wonder if you'll be able to import your character and loot into the new vegas fallout. I'd pay a premium for that option.

ChrisGoldstein said:
I didn't think the ghoul revers were that hard. Maybe it was cos I found a government ID badge in one of the trains so Margot commanded the sentry robots to assist me in killing them.

Man cutter does work good on them

I fired a nuke at tight group of 4. It only took of 4 bars from each of reavers. I yelped and reloaded the save I made just before shooting.

Mrbob

Pudding Tame said:
I had the same problem until I let Lyons die turning on the purifier, then Broken Steel starts after the end narration.

I suppose this makes sense. About to grab Broken Steel, and if you killed yourself there is no way the game could possibly continue.

Tobor

Mrbob said:
I suppose this makes sense. About to grab Broken Steel, and if you killed yourself there is no way the game could possibly continue.

This isn't true at all. I chose myself and Broken Steel started fine.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Jamesfrom818 said:
I fired a nuke at tight group of 4. It only took of 4 bars from each of reavers. I yelped and reloaded the save I made just before shooting.

Did they gimp the fatman or something? On the last BS mission I fired a few at the hellfire troops, and these other sigma enclave soldiers or something, and it didnt seem to kill them all. wtf

Tobor said:
This isn't true at all. I chose myself and Broken Steel started fine.

yep. that dude's save data is just corrupt or something. Good thing I save every 2 or 3 minutes. Shit I swear I got like 4 or 5 gigs in all of the saves I have on my hard drive.

eXistor

I think I'm finally over FO3. I love the game, but they're really grasping at straws now. The first two expansions were shit (especially Operation Achorage) and BS is just an extra generic quest in standard FO3 style. The game froze on me (I also saw a bunch of other glitches I never saw during the main game) and I really don't want to start the game up again, it was just so boring. The new enemies do no damage at all and are basically giant bullet-sponges (those new feral Ghouls take an absolute ridiculous amount of damage) I was never close to dying either, the tension is just completely gone now. Oh well, I had a good 95 hours of fun out of it all.

X26

Banned
ChrisGoldstein said:
It was too short but what pisses me off is the order in which they released the dlc packs. Obviously BS should've been released first followed by the other 2. I guess they figured less people would buy OA and the pitt once you got the level cap raised to 30 since you could just start new characters and make the game new again.

I wish the skill points would be higher than 100 too. My dude is maxed out already at level 24/25 (I forget) in the areas that he needs to be skilled in for the way I play. Still quite possibly my favorite game this gen, surpassing Mass Effect.

I still want more dlc. I wonder if you'll be able to import your character and loot into the new vegas fallout. I'd pay a premium for that option.

Had no idea what you were talking about so I googled, damn I had no idea. Good choice, deserts and fallout go together like uh...two things that go really well together

Top Bottom