• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Fallout 3 thread of post-apocalyptic proportions!

Er...

Regarding the Xbox 360 achievement anomalies, "The Xbox Live servers don't seem to be fully synched yet with the additional achievements," Bethesda explains. "This should fix itself automatically soon. People won't lose any achievements."

"So what, who cares."
/JoyBehar

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
My last save at 20 was 26 play hours earlier. :lol

The first time I did project purity was at level 15, 40 hours earlier.

I still got stuff like oasis I can re-do (just did it the evil way and ditched a save earlier) plus Moira's mind numbingly dull tasks for XP. I'll find some other stuff but I'm not re-doing all the side missions as the same character. Kinda glad I held off on starting again with an evil character. Probably should have waited on OA and The Pitt though, got no XP out of those. :-\

Forgot how awesome Liberty Prime is. DoD needs to make a real version of that.

Ricker

I took my save right before the girl inside the Citadel,just before triggering the whole last section of the game,I'm level 20 with Fawkes and headed for the Pitt,I got the 2 messages about Broken Steel raising the cap to 30 and the Pitt message...I hope I can bring Fawkes in there?...anyway I got the slave outfit now lol...

me Jojo said:
The FEV Virus does nothing. :(

Wasn't that supposed to kill off the Super Mutants? Thats disappointing.

I hope Mass Effect 2 does a better job at remembering some key choices you made in the the first game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Arg, I forgot my game glitched and I randomly got a Fawkes has died message while I was doing the Pitt whenever that was. I'm pretty sure he's gone, but just incase, where would I find him? I checked Raven Rock, the area near the train station to the Pitt, megaton, and vault 101.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Papercuts said:
Arg, I forgot my game glitched and I randomly got a Fawkes has died message while I was doing the Pitt whenever that was. I'm pretty sure he's gone, but just incase, where would I find him? I checked Raven Rock, the area near the train station to the Pitt, megaton, and vault 101.

He always returns to the Ghoul underworld at the museum of history (if the name is wrong, it is the place you get rewarded for scrap metal). When I played the Pitt it sent him there as soon as I got the trolley car.

One good thing about being able to add new perks - I didn't even realize there was a perk for redoing locked computer terminals. Should make it a hell of a lot easier to go back to ones I locked rather than find new ones (I somehow managed not to realize until recently you can back out after the failed third attempt LOL).

Another problem - is anyone else getting a bizzare laser lights show of graphical glitches when you go toward old olney? The distance textures are getting replaced by beams of pink, blue, and neon green. I don't think the 360 is dying, this is a replacement from February. :-\

xbhaskarx

AndyMoogle said:
Just new ones. If you check your achievements for Fallout 3 it should say x out of 64 achievements. If it says 58 achievements it's going to be glitched.

Oh, excellent, that means mine isn't glitched.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
xbhaskarx said:
Oh, excellent, that means mine isn't glitched.

It's still glitched, I thought mine was fine 'cause it said 58 outta 64 everywhere, but as soon as I got the achievement for "Death from Above" it said 58 outta 58 and the achievement doesn't stick to my GS...

Chittagong

Gold Member
So, just completed the game. Started to play on Thursday last week and now it's Tuesday. Clocked in 41 hours roughly, almost Level 17, I suppose that's ok. I don't get at all why everyone is bitching at the ending, I thought is was fairly satisfying.

Funnily enough I don't feel burned out by the game yet, so I might do tomorrow more of the missions and level up towards 20.

I'm wondering if the downloadables are worth it? I understood Anchorage was a simulation, which doesn't really fascinate me. But Pitt and the other one released today, are they any better?

Aurora

Question: I haven't finished the main quest in Fallout 3 (hit Lv20 and waited for level cap raise). Is it safe to download the Broken Steel DLC? Will I be able to continue with the main quest and then work on the DLC after main quest is completed?

Aurora said:
Question: I haven't finished the main quest in Fallout 3 (hit Lv20 and waited for level cap raise). Is it safe to download the Broken Steel DLC? Will I be able to continue with the main quest and then work on the DLC after main quest is completed?
Afaik you HAVE to beat the main quest before you can get to the Broken Steel DLC.

Aurora

But if I download BS now I'd still be able to enjoy the level cap raise right? That's all I care about anyway, the quest content can come afterwards.

Zeliard

AndyMoogle said:
Afaik you HAVE to beat the main quest before you can get to the Broken Steel DLC.

That's actually cool.

I ended up stopping Fallout 3 at level 18 at the "Picking Up The Trail" quest.

I was waiting for the Broken Steel DLC to get back into it, but I was also hoping to see the game's original ending first, despite how horrible it supposedly is.

Aurora said:
But if I download BS now I'd still be able to enjoy the level cap raise right? That's all I care about anyway, the quest content can come afterwards.

Yep, I was at level 20 and up to 'Picking up the Trail', and after playing last night I'm level 22 and up to the last normal main-quest mission.

EDIT: I just checked, and my achievements say 64. Awesome.

Papercuts

Zeliard said:
That's actually cool.

I ended up stopping Fallout 3 at level 18 at the "Picking Up The Trail" quest.

I was waiting for the Broken Steel DLC to get back into it, but I was also hoping to see the game's original ending first, despite how horrible it supposedly is.

You still see the original ending, actually. Then BS kicks in afterward to continue it on.

neoism

JordoftheDead said:
Yep, I was at level 20 and up to 'Picking up the Trail', and after playing last night I'm level 22 and up to the last normal main-quest mission.

EDIT: I just checked, and my achievements say 64. Awesome.

So, what is the deal with this, when I go to achievements in the blade it says 58, then when I select fallout 3 it says 42 of 64! It also says 42 of 58 when I select my avatar tile. WTF does this mean, is this getting fixed???? Would deleting and re-downloading BS fix it! I'm pretty far from the end game, but I care about the achievements for this game, ( I'm cool I know, if you don't care STFU)

WOW, I can't believed that worked, I fixed it. I deleted BS, and reformatted the system cache! In case someone doesn't know, just go to system memory and press Y, after that press X,X, L BUMP, R BUMP, X,X That will do a system maintenance on your cache. You will have to download any updates for all your games again though!
64:D :D

voltron

riskVSreward said:
So I'm not gonna get fucked over some how by buying it now then? I've been sitting on the purchase button for the last hour.

For that matter, is any of the other DLC borked in anyway? I'm on 360 btw.

Its fine. Just buy it.

I have no idea what this DRM shit is theyre talking about. Maybe thats for GFWL.

360 version has no problems and my achievements dont appear to be borked.

mattso

so I'm level 15 and just fought my first feral ghoul reaver.

Hot damn. If it weren't for abusing my chinese stealth suit I don't know how I would have survived.

neoism

voltron said:
Its fine. Just buy it.

I have no idea what this DRM shit is theyre talking about. Maybe thats for GFWL.

360 version has no problems and my achievements dont appear to be borked.

I don't understand why it's just some peoples game!
I just downloaded the 1.5 update after doing the cache thing that "fixed" it, it is fucked on the 360 too! It said 64, but after I booted the game up, and it downloaded the update, the achievements went back to 58! Seriously Bethesda this is fucking embarrassing!
16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Papercuts

mattso said:
so I'm level 15 and just fought my first feral ghoul reaver.

Hot damn. If it weren't for abusing my chinese stealth suit I don't know how I would have survived.

Yeah, they're damn tough. Really glad I have the ghoul mask from waaaay earlier in the game and don't have to deal with them. :lol

Bluth54

AnEternalEnigma said:
Bethesda's QA for their DLC has been atrocious. Someone (and maybe more) needs to be fired over this. Fucking up once is sometimes excusable, but between the issues GFWL users are having and now some of these X360 issues, someone's head needs to roll.

The issues with the X360 achievements is absolutely intolerable.
I'm also wondering what exactly Microsoft Certification is doing. Aren't they supposed to test stuff like this for weeks to make sure it actually works?

pilonv1

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fallout-3-broken-steel-dlc-pc-problems

UPDATE:: Bethesda has been in touch to update us on the PC version: "We're seeing the same error, which is a Games for Windows Live DRM Install error. Microsoft is working on fixing it, and we'll let everyone know once we've verified it."

The developer also said the following regarding unrelated Xbox 360 errors: "The Xbox Live servers don't seem to be fully synched yet with the additional achievements. This should fix itself automatically soon. People won't lose any achievements."

there you go

ElyrionX

Shinjitsu said:
It's sad that gamers like high scores and ways to show them off? Because that's basically what achievements are now.

You know what else is sad? People that gloat about how they have moved on from achievements and trophies.

No one gives a fuck if you care about them or not.

Spending a good amount of time doing things that may not even mean anything in the context of the game and abusing the Achievements system whenever possible (such as saving before leveling up and changing your alignment from Good to Evil just to get the Karma achievements) is not exactly something to "show off".

It's sad that casual gamers actually feel a need to show off their in-game achievements because that actually means they think Achievements are something to be proud of.

mattso

Papercuts said:
Yeah, they're damn tough. Really glad I have the ghoul mask from waaaay earlier in the game and don't have to deal with them. :lol
oh man I forgot about that. I didn't have it on me anyways but I guess I should start keeping it with me :lol

neoism

The developer also said the following regarding unrelated Xbox 360 errors: "The Xbox Live servers don't seem to be fully synched yet with the additional achievements. This should fix itself automatically soon. People won't lose any achievements."
Well, from what I just did an hour ago , this is bullshit, They messed up again after I downloaded that update, (they were 64 before, and 58 after)! So, I hope this "is" right, but this is getting fucking ridicules!

Datrio

Since I have the PS3 version (and damn, reading this thread, it seems like I'm the only one), could someone summarize what's the changed ending? To be more precise:

- what happens when I go inside?
- what happens when I send someone else inside?
- does a follower die, or not? And will every follower go inside?

And of course, what happens exactly after the two weeks in a coma? They just wake you up and go "oh hi, you killed everyone with the FEV, help us kill the Enclave or we'll hate you" or "oh hi, you saved us and gave us purified water, hoorah, now go kick the Enclave's ass"?

I'd really wish Bethesda at least patch the PS3 version with the new ending and raise the level cap. I don't care about the new quests, I just want to play normally!

Datrio said:
Since I have the PS3 version (and damn, reading this thread, it seems like I'm the only one), could someone summarize what's the changed ending? To be more precise:

- what happens when I go inside?
- what happens when I send someone else inside?
- does a follower die, or not? And will every follower go inside?

And of course, what happens exactly after the two weeks in a coma? They just wake you up and go "oh hi, you killed everyone with the FEV, help us kill the Enclave or we'll hate you" or "oh hi, you saved us and gave us purified water, hoorah, now go kick the Enclave's ass"?

I'd really wish Bethesda at least patch the PS3 version with the new ending and raise the level cap. I don't care about the new quests, I just want to play normally!

I don't know all the answers, but I'll toss out what I can say.
-When you go inside, it essentially looks the same. You just wake up two weeks later
-When you send someone else inside, it uses the "stepped aside for a true hero" dialogue and shows shots of Lyons, Fawkes, or I'd assume anyone else you can send in there.
-Fawkes is immune to radiation. Charon and robots should be too. I've only tried with Fawkes.

-And I haven't tried the FEV thing, but I am curious to know how they handle it. Since practically everything would be dead, it would probably make sense for Broken Steel to be unavailable with if you go that route.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
All this bug talk made me wonder... Is the story good?

And the DLC really lasts only 5hours?

joelseph

ElyrionX said:
Spending a good amount of time doing things that may not even mean anything in the context of the game and abusing the Achievements system whenever possible (such as saving before leveling up and changing your alignment from Good to Evil just to get the Karma achievements) is not exactly something to "show off".

It's sad that casual gamers actually feel a need to show off their in-game achievements because that actually means they think Achievements are something to be proud of.

A condescending attitude is much worse than enjoying a games achievements.

Ricker

I think I encountered a bug with the Pitt...i'm currently in the yard listening to the speech by Ashur,which is the quest but nothing else happens...I waited 5 minutes and he's still talking,repeating the same speech over and over...if I try to leave the area,I can't it's blocked by an invisible wall...I talked to Midea and she just repeats a few comments.

I'm guessing he is suppose to leave his spot after his speech? but there seems to be an NPC that wandered up there around him and he is now right besides him,blocking his path for him to leave so nothing happens...my last save was just inside the initial tunnel to get in the Pitt area.

neoism

JodyAnthony said:
god i love this game.

god i love earning experience again.

god i love that some of the new enemies are actually strong and making the game harder.
Do you have to beat the game before they show up!? I played 7 hours yesterday and didn't see shit!

neoism said:
Do you have to beat the game before they show up!? I played 7 hours yesterday and didn't see shit!

I was right at the end and I was seeing Enclave Hellfire Troopers during the walk with Liberty Prime (and they were kicking my ass!) so at least those ones definitely showed up before the ending

neoism said:
Well, from what I just did an hour ago , this is bullshit, They messed up again after I downloaded that update, (they were 64 before, and 58 after)! So, I hope this "is" right, but this is getting fucking ridicules!

I had this happen before with the Pitt well after it was released (my card would show only 54 achievements for the game, even though there were 58.) You'll definitely keep your achievements though and they will show up.

neoism

ALeperMessiah said:
I had this happen before with the Pitt well after it was released (my card would show only 54 achievements for the game, even though there were 58.) You'll definitely keep your achievements though and they will show up.
I know I'll keep them, but does the X/1200 change to X/1350?

Ledsen

So I heard one of the quests in Broken Steel has something to do with Megaton. I blew up it up :( Will I still be able to do the quest?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Would it be a better idea to buy the 3 DLC and start the game again with another character?

To us who already did everything :/

X26

Banned
Oh ffs

Bought BS, and then loaded up my file and finished off the main quest. Get to the last mission and Liberty Prime would not move. Tried everything and it never changed, so I swam up to project purity and jumped/glitched through a gap in the barrier. Went inside hoping it would trigger the next part of the quest, but lyons never showed up. Killed Autumn, and that didn't help any and I think I've screwed myself over now. Any possible way around this? I really don't feel like going through the game a 3rd time jsut to be able to play the dlc(accidental rewrites ftw).

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't bought the DLC yet... I'm guessing I should wait? It sounds like a lot of stuff is messed up.

Top Bottom